Walked several miles yesterday w/ light pack. This morning was very short on time, so I just put up my doorway pull-up bar and suspension trainer, set a timer for 15 minutes, and did some shoulder prep and a quick circuit-

• Hollow body plank
  • Pulling prep
  • Pushups* (knees/parallettes)
  • BW squats*
  • Inverted rows*

*done very very slowly

I didn't count reps, just did one movement until I felt form start to break down then moved to the next. Not great, but waaaayyyyy better than nothing.  

• Like 2

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Going slow really changes the challenge! I'm reminded how simple these movements are, yet how effective they can be. 

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

30m version of Integral Strength - Kneeling Push-Up, Lateral Jump, Play, and Push 🚀

That was more fatiguing than I expected. For both of the Jump movement, I have to focus on *not* jumping as high if I want to land softly. The Bar Jump to Negative Chin Up hurt my elbows on the first attempt, so I substituted Pulling Prep for the first circuit and Inverted Rows w/ slow negatives for the second.  Balance was better than usual on the Back Scale variation. 
I tried the Kneeling Push-Up without parallettes this time, and can actually do them as long as I don't go all the way down. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend
→ Quadruped Spinal Circles
→ Kneeling Back Flexion to Prone Lying Back Extension
→ Wrists - Palms Down, Fingers Facing Knees

Practice
→ Lateral Jump
→ Kneeling Push-Up

Play
→ Back Scale Straight Leg Low Repeats

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Modified Pigeon Stretch
→ Seated Clasped Hands Extension
→ Prone Bent Arm Chest Stretch
→ Mountain Climber
→ Standard Jump
→ Twisting Bear
→ Stall Step Back Lunge
→ Bar Jump To Negative Chin-Up

• Like 2

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

of the Jump movement, I have to focus on *not* jumping as high if I want to land softly. The Bar Jump to Negative Chin Up hurt my elbows on the first attempt, so I substituted Pulling Prep f

Good for you for scaling it down when you needed to. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

For both of the Jump movement, I have to focus on *not* jumping as high if I want to land softly. 

AHA! This is what needs to change to make my ankles more cooperative with the jumps in my Pandora workouts.

Thank U GIF by The Good Type Co

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

15m version of Integral Strength - Stall Step Back, Sit Back Single, and Circuit 🚀

My single leg strength needs a lot of work. Still trying very hard to get the non-working knee to the ground in the Lunge variations. Substituted Inverted Rows with slow negatives instead of the Bar Jump/Neg Chin-Up. The Pulling Prep seems to be getting stronger, less assistance from the feet.

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Pulling Prep
→ Stall Step Back Lunge

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Quadruped Shoulder Circles
→ Standard Jump
→ Bent Leg Back Scale
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Step Back Lunge
→ A-Frame Bent Arm Pulses
→ Twisting Bear

On 4/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, Scaly Freak said:

AHA! This is what needs to change to make my ankles more cooperative with the jumps in my Pandora workouts.

Thank U GIF by The Good Type Co

Your welcome! The primary cue Ryan uses for the jumps is "focus on landing softly" and my knees really needed to hear that! 

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of Integral Strength - Bent Arm A-Frame, Hollow Body Hang, and Superset 🚀

Generally a good day. My R wrist is a bit cranky today, so by the time I got to the kneeling pushups I did opt to use the parallettes. Struggling to remember all the cues for Hollow Body Hang - when I get my back into the right position, I notice my legs aren't squeezed together - then when I squeeze my butt, my chest comes up. This will take a fair bit of practice to get smoothed out. Struggled a bit with my balance in the Back Scale Repeats, some days are just better than others with that. And I just practiced Standard Jump instead of Star - I've barely got Standard to the point where I can land softly more than not, don't think I'm ready to sophisticate that one yet :)

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Dead Hang Hollow Body Hold
→ Front Loaded Bent-Arm A-Frame

Push
→ Frog Stretch
→ Half Pancake
→ Star Jump
→ Mountain Climber
→ Kneeling Push-Up
→ Bent Arm A-Frame

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sounds like a great workout! I hear you on focusing on one thing on the hollow body hangs, and then another issue pops up. I struggle with that. Right now I'm trying to learn shoulder slides, and I feel the same way.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

15m version of Resilience - Wrists, Ankles, and Core 🚀

Haven't done a Resilience sesh in a while, forgot how good these feel. Definitely improving in the Iguana Walk. Single Leg Knee to Floor is still pretty hard, but it seems to be as much a balance issue as an ankle mobility/strength one. Still need to spend more time moving in and out of deep squat, I think. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Hand Clench

Practice
→ Resilience Iguana Walk
→ Resilience Squat Single Leg Knee to Floor
→ Resilience Seal Walk

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Twisting Bear Half PU, Lateral Jump, and Circuit 🚀

Good session. My L knee objected to the Twisting Bear Half PU, but not to the Twisting Bear in Push. Doesn't seem serious, no lingering discomfort. Substituted Inverted Rows with slow negatives for the Bar Jump/Negative Chin, and Split Squats for the Step Back Lunge. The Bent Arm Pulses and the Jumps are definitely getting better. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Lateral Jump
→ Twisting Bear Half Push-Up

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Bent Leg Back Scale
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Step Back Lunge
→ A-Frame Bent Arm Pulses
→ Twisting Bear

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

I like playing around with bent arm stuff in A-frame. Not quite ready to actually bear walk with bent arms, though. 

• Like 1

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Agreed. I can do it for a couple of steps with my arms slightly bent, but only very, very slightly. I can bend them somewhat further if I'm not trying to get anywhere. 

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Half-Shrimp, New Chin Variation, and Superset 🚀

Chin up regressions are getting frustrating. I don't feel like I'm any further along now than I was months ago. I still can't even jump up to the bar to do a negative, much less jump halfway up and pull the rest of the way. When I jump halfway up I immediately start to come down again and still have very little control. If I use a step stool to get all the way above the bar, I can control the negative somewhat. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but it seems like I'm still just as weak in this movement as I always have been. 

Everything else felt good today. Balance better than I expected in the Half Shrimp Squat. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Half Jump to Negative Chin-Up
→ Bar Pulling Prep
→ Half Shrimp

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Mountain Climber
→ Standard Jump
→ Kneeling Push-Up
→ Stall Step Back Lunge

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

I never did get the hang of jumping to the bar. And I can do chin ups now.Something about the jump didn't work for me. Chin ups can be really slow to progress, especially for us older gals. What helped me was more volume.  Either grease the groove style, or doing two sets of pull type exercises in a workout. One at the progression you are at,  and maybe a set of rows with rings.

First workout back after an unpleasant few days of raging sinus infection. Yay, pollen season. Short on time, so I did the Dan John "Humane Burpees" thing ...

Prep:
Quadruped Shoulder Circles
Quadruped Spinal Circles
1 min Bear

And then ... 

15 KB swings, 5 squats, 5 push-ups
15 KB swings, 4 squats, 4 push-ups
15 KB swings, 3 squats, 3 push-ups
15 KB swings, 2 squats, 2 push-ups
15 KB swings, 1 squat, 1 push-up

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Bent Arm Bear, Hollow Body Hang, and Circuit 🚀

Felt good to be back after being sick. Still struggling with balance in the Step Back Lunge. Bent Arm Bear is tough, but I can do it for a step or two. I think my Kneeling Push-Ups are getting a bit lower, too. 

Playing with the Josh concept of 'goldilocksing' - trying to make sure that when I do modify a movement that is beyond my current ability, I don't modify it down to the point where it is not challenging. Easy to go too far with that. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Dead Hang Hollow Body Hold
→ Bent Arm Bear

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm A-Frame
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm really glad to finally know there's such a thing as Humane Burpees. I would actually consider doing those, I think.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:41 AM, Gemma said:

e Dan John "Humane Burpees" thing ...

Prep:

I had forgotten about those! They are wicked. But a lot better than regular burpees

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I had forgotten about those! They are wicked. But a lot better than regular burpees

I could make the argument that virtually any movement pattern short of flinging oneself repeatedly face-first into a brick wall is a lot better than regular burpees.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

27 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I could make the argument that virtually any movement pattern short of flinging oneself repeatedly face-first into a brick wall is a lot better than regular burpees.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

15m version of Integral Strength - Twisting Bear Half PU, Broad Jump, Play, and Push 🚀

Everything felt pretty good today. Need to spend more time on the TB Half PU. Jumps are landing softer. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Broad Jump

Play
→ Full Back Scale

Push
→ Frog Stretch
→ Half Pancake
→ Star Jump
→ Mountain Climber
→ Kneeling Push-Up
→ Low Lift Front Scale
→ Bent Arm A-Frame

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Resilience - Legs, Shoulders, and Back 

Everything felt pretty good today. Balance was solid in the Peacock Squat. 

Prep
→ Resilience Kneeling Back Flexion to Prone Lying Back Extension
→ Single Arm Swing Side To Side
→ Seiza to Sumo Squat

Practice
→ Resilience Plank Hollow Body Shrugs
→ Resilience Plank Shoulder Circles
→ Resilience Peacock Squat 

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Half-Shrimp, Chin-Up, and Circuit 🚀

I've decided that instead of feeliing sorry for myself about how strong I'm not and how many of these things I 'can't' do, I need to focus more attention on "okay, this is where I am right now, what *can* I do?" 

So since I can't get even close to jumping to the top position of the chin up, I did extra work at the end of the Practice with getting up by stepladder, holding with good hollow-body form at the top, and doing the negatives as slowly as possible. I still have a kind of 'collapse' moment near the bottom when my arms are just barely bent, obviously that is the weakest part of the movement for me. Also, I need to be careful not to try to go too fast or aggressive with this. I stopped as soon as my shoulders and elbows started to protest. 

Same with the Step Back Lunge and the Half Shrimp - it is too frustrating to try to fight my balance issues and do these in a way that will help me get stronger, so I'm addressing those separately. I did both moves with a little bit of support (hand resting on bookcase)  which means my only balance work today was the Back Scale Low Repeats, but I will worry about that more once my legs are strong enough to actually do full ROM lunges. 

I do feel improvement in both the Bent Arm A-Frame and the Kneeling Push-Ups, which I did not expect so that was a nice surprise. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Half Jump to Negative Chin-Up
→ Half Shrimp

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm A-Frame
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Bent Arm Bear, Hollow Body Hold, and Supersets 🚀

This felt really good. I still have some DOMS left over from Saturday, but I only felt it during the Prep stretches. Bent Arm A-Frame is stronger, I can take *tiny* little bitty steps in Bent Arm Bear and still keep the support arm bent and not flared. Hollow Body Hold felt good, too - I was able to extend my legs out slightly and move my arms more to the side and still keep my lower back on the ground. 

Negative Chin-Ups are actually great until I get to the bottom few inches, then my arms just give out and collapse. No real idea how to get stronger in that part of the movement. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Hollow Body Hold On Floor
→ Bent Arm Bear

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Lateral Jump
→ Stall Step Back Lunge

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien