15 hours ago, Gemma said:

I can take *tiny* little bitty steps in Bent Arm Bear and still keep the support arm bent and not flared.

You mean, elbow going out instead of tucked close to your side? If so, that's the bit I have to concentrate on, too. I haven't made a serious attempt at Bent Arm Bear, but I do a lot of playing in A-frame to squat. 

Congrats on Hollow Body progression! I like to think that's a "sleeper" move. It looks simple but there's actually a lot of challenging stuff going on. I think working on it really ramped up my daily-living core engagement and awareness 

• Like 1

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

10 hours ago, Emissary2Ornj said:

You mean, elbow going out instead of tucked close to your side?

Yep.  Or, as Ryan Hurst cues it: "Point your elbow-pits straight forward" 🤣

Last night was garbage sleep, woke up at midnight and didn't get back to sleep until at least 2.  Today I had a very early appointment and was crunched for time. I started to do the Humane Burpees thing, and realized in the second round that my form was breaking down and I was accumulating a lot more fatigue than normal, so I called it a day. 

• Like 2

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

30m version of Integral Strength - Plank Lower Knee PU, Broad Jump, Play, and Push 🚀

Most of this felt pretty good. The Plank Lower -> Kneeling PU was challenging but doable. I can get a little further in the Broad Jump than last time I tried it, but my focus still needs to be on landing softly so I'm not worried about moving more than a few inches. Balance was really good in the front Scales, by the second round of Back Scale it was getting shaky. Kneeling Push-ups and Lunges are starting to feel a lot better than when I started this. 

I video recorded an attempted Negative Chin-Up, maybe the Rebellion can help me figure out what the heck is going on with that - if I'm really just *that* weak or if I'm actually doing something wrong. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend
→ Quadruped Spinal Circles
→ Kneeling Back Flexion to Prone Lying Back Extension
→ Wrists - Palms Down, Fingers Facing Knees

Practice
→ Broad Jump
→ Plank Lower to Kneeling Push-Up

Play
→ Front Scale Straight Leg Lifts

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Modified Pigeon Stretch
→ Frog Stretch
→ Seated Clasped Hands Extension
→ Prone Bent Arm Chest Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm Bear
→ Bar Jump To Negative Chin-Up
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Resilience - Ankles, Shoulders, and Core 🚀

Ankles are still touchy but definitely improving. I could do the shoulder circles in a full plank but they are messy, so I went back and forth between that and doing it in a front-loaded quadruped position. For some reason the cross-body knee touch was a lot harder today. 

After this I did a few minutes of Pulling Prep. I tried it in various hand positions. Pronated and parallel are much, much easier than supinated, I don't think I'd ever tried pulling prep with supinated hands before but I'm going to work that in a few times a week now that I know how different it is. 

Prep
→ Resilience Table Top Arm Thread & Extension
→ Tall Kneeling Arm Raises
→ Supine Ankle Circles

Practice
→ Resilience Plank Cross Body Knee Touch
→ Resilience Plank Shoulder Circles
→ Resilience Foot Blade Squat

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oh good, maybe the hand position tweak will unlock this for you. Did you get any feedback from your video? I seem to remember some discussion on shoulders in one of Alanna's recent challenges... and maybe even specific to pulling work?

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

15m version of Resilience - Wrists, Back, and Shoulders 🚀

Substituted Quadruped Shoulder Circles for the Arm Swing. 

After the Prep I spent three minutes doing Pulling Prep with light assistance from my feet, and learned that I have *not* been doing that movement properly like I thought.  Fully hanging from the bar I thought I was doing a full shrug, but when I have my toes on the ground to assist I can go almost twice as far in that movement. So part of the problem is that I've never gotten my shoulders properly pulled all the way down and back. 

The Plank on Hand Blades made my R wrist uncomfortable, but it didn't feel injured so I kept going. Instead of getting worse, towards the end of that time I was actually able to put *more* weight on it. The Scap Shrugs and Floor Pulls felt really good and seem to work the same muscle groups that I need work in for the Pulling Prep, so I will try to do those more often. 

I'm leaving my doorway pull-up bar installed all the time now instead of putting it up and taking  it back down every time I need it. This has made it easier to just do a little bit of Pulling Prep every time I walk by my office door. 

Prep
→ Single Arm Swing Side To Side
→ Wrist Circles

→ Pulling Prep 

Practice
→ Resilience Single Arm Plank Scap Shrugs
→ Resilience Floor Pulls
→ Resilience Walking Plank On Hand Blades

• Like 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Half Shrimp, Half Jump to Chin-Up, and Supersets 🚀

R leg was okay holding my foot behind me for the Half Shrimp. L leg still gets the hamstring cramps. Did a fair lot of lightly supported Pulling Prep both after the Prep and after the workout. Jumping is still just a couple inches high and a couple inches of travel, but I'm getting much more consistent at landing softly. My ankles and knees appreciate that! 

I think I"m beginning to get the Front Scale Leg Lifts up higher, I'll video that next time it comes up to check. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Bar Half Jump to Negative Chin-Up
→ Half Shrimp

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Lateral Jump
→ Bar Dead Hang Hollow Body Hold
→ Twisting Bear Half Push-Up
→ Bent Arm Bear

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Resilience - Ankles, Legs, and Back 🚀

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Standing Straight Leg Hip Circles

Practice
→ Resilience Plank Hollow Body Shrugs
→ Resilience Shrimp Squat 
→ Resilience Squat Single Leg Knee to Floor

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Bent Arm Bear and Hollow Body Hold 🚀

I surprised myself by being able to front load the Bent Arm Bear more than I expected to. On the other hand, the Hollow Body Hold was more challenging than I expected it to be, I think I've been taking my core strength for granted. Good to know. Lunges are still very hard, but Kneeling Push-ups are getting easier. 

In the Negative Chin-Up, I used light assistance from my feet on the step stool all the way down so I could focus more on keeping my shoulders down away from my ears all the way down. This was really very tough, so I think I should do that more often until my shoulders get the hang of it. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Hollow Body Hold On Floor
→ Front Loaded Bent-Arm Bear

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Standard Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm Bear
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Recovery - Crawling, Squatting, and Twisting 🚀

This felt good. Took it easy today, resting from all chin-up work b/c R shoulder is feeling a little overworked. 

Prep
→ Supine Single Leg Swing
→ Supine Knee Drops
→ Wrist Circles
→ Elbow Circles
→ Neck Circles
→ Arm Drops
→ Full Body Vibrations

Practice
→ Reach Back Walk Into Squat
→ Recovery Iguana Walk

Play
→ Prone Twist to Sitting

Push
→ Self Massage Upper Back

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Would love to read of you have any particular technique for working on your upper back by yourself. Any tools? Just hands?

5 hours ago, Emissary2Ornj said:

Would love to read of you have any particular technique for working on your upper back by yourself. Any tools? Just hands?

Occasionaly foam roller, but today and most often lacrosse ball. 

• Thanks 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of Integral Strength - Plank Lower Knee Push-Up, Tuck Jump, Play, and Push 🚀

Felt pretty good today.  My Stall Step Back Lunge is still basically just a Split Squat, but today I was able to get my back knee all the way to the ground even when the working leg was my weaker Right. That hasn't happened in a few years, so I'm pretty excited about it. No real "tucking" of the knees at all, but my Jump is definitely higher while still landing softly. I videoed it to compare to last November. Also video recorded the Front and Back Scales, my balance is still awful but not nearly as bad as it was. 

For the Negative Chin Ups I stuck with light foot assistance all the way down again, trying to focus on keeping my shoulders down. This seems to make everything about 10x harder, but it is starting to feel like progress instead of being stalled at the same level for ever. 

In the Push-Up variation, I was surprised to find that I can get almost halfway down in Plank before I have to put my knees down, this is definite progress since the last time I did a Push-Up challenge (January, I think).

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Tuck Jump

Play
→ Front to Back Scale Combo

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Broad Jump
→ Stall Step Back Lunge

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Half Shrimp and Half Jump to Chin Negative 🚀

Felt good to get back into this after taking the weekend completely off. Negative Chins are still super hard but I think I am using less support in the bottom half than I was before. Still can't keep my shoulders down all the way through the movement. 

Single leg movements are beginning to feel a little bit stronger. Bent Arm Bear is definitely improving. Stamina is still an issue, fatigue builds up much more quickly than I would like. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Half Shrimp

Push
→ Half Pancake

→ Frog Stretch
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Standard Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm Bear
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of Integral Strength - Front Loaded Bent Arm Bear and Hollow Body Hold 🚀

First day back after weird stomach bug. Felt good to be doing strength stuff again. 

Front Loaded A-Frame feels solid and I can hold it for 15 seconds or so. Bent Arm Bear feels pretty good, tried moving backwards with it for the first time today. Can do it, but it is much harder to keep the elbows in good position. Combining those things into a Front Loaded Bent Arm Bear is just ... nope. Everything falls apart. So I alternated the Front Loaded hold with the regular locomotion. 

Hollow Body Hold first time I held for 45 seconds with arms out to side, legs straight @45° up, better than I think I've ever done before. Dead Hang Hollow Body Hold doesn't *feel* like I'm engaging the core while I'm doing it, but those muscles do feel some fatigue after so I guess I've got it right. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Front Loaded Bent-Arm Bear

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Broad Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Bent Arm Bear

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Recovery - Reaches and Rotations 🚀

I pulled something yesterday in my back, so I did the self-massage there instead of the feet. Nothing serious, mild strain, but uncomfortable when I rotate at the trunk. 

Prep
→ Supine Single Leg Swing
→ Supine Knee Drops
→ Wrist Circles
→ Elbow Circles
→ Neck Circles
→ Arm Drops
→ Full Body Vibrations

Practice
→ Table Top Twist
→ Half Cossack Reach

Play
→ 90-90 Supine Rotation

Push
→ Self Massage Feet

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Resilience - Wrists, Shoulders, and Core 🚀

I tried the Iguana Walk with knees floated, wow that is a whole lot tougher that way! Seal Walk is getting stronger, I need to start wearing pants instead of shorts for this one. 

Prep
→ Hand Clench

Practice
→ Resilience Iguana Walk
→ Resilience Plank Shoulder Circles
→ Resilience Seal Walk

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pressed for time today after hectic weekend, did:

IS Prep movements

1 min Bear walk

A round of 'Humane Burpees' w/15# kettlebell 

1 min Pulling Prep

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Twisting Bear Hips On Ground Push-Up and Tuck Jump 🚀

Everything felt good today. Need to focus more on balance; Front to Back Scale and Step Back Lunge were more unsteady than usual. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Tuck Jump
→ Twisting Bear Hips On Ground Push-Up

Play
→ Front to Back Scale Combo

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm Bear
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

15m version of Integral Strength - Assisted Full Shrimp Squat and Half Jump to Chin Negative 🚀

Still weak in the bottom half of the negative Chin. During the Push, I focused just on keeping shoulders down and doing that bottom half.  Did some extra hamstring stretches before starting, I think it helped; didn't have any muscle cramping in the Assisted Shrimp. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Wall Assisted Full Shrimp Foot Free

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Hollow Body Plank
→ Broad Jump
→ Half Shrimp

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of Integral Strength - Floor Inverted Press and Hollow Body Hold 🚀

Feels good to be back to a 'normal' routine after travel. I haven't done much balance work specifically, surprised to find that I can do full ROM Step-Back Lunge on both sides without touching a wall for balance. Kneeling Push-Ups also feeling stronger. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Floor Full Inverted Press

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Standard Jump
→ Full Back Scale
→ Mountain Climber
→ Step Back Lunge
→ Bent Arm Bear
→ Kneeling Push-Up

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of GMB Mobility - Fundamentals 🚀

Finally admitting that despite being hypermobile in many ROMs I do have some restrictions that are holding me back. All of this felt great, and I think this will be good to mix in between sessions of IS (and Elements, when I re-start that). 

Prep
→ Supine Hip Circles
→ Quadruped Shoulder Circles
→ Quadruped Wag Tail
→ Seated Twist: Need to be very controlled and slow with this, I have hurt myself by overtwisting before. Focus on chest up and feeling the relationship between ribs and pelvis. 
→ Tall Kneeling Arm Raises to Side
→ Single Leg Deadlift
→ Standing Knee to Chest

Practice
→ Basic Frogger
→ Bear
→ Basic Monkey 
→ Wrists - Palms Down, Fingers Facing Knees: This is a hypermobile ROM, I can bend my wrists backwards quite far. 
→ General Kneeling Lunge: R flexors are somewhat tighter than L; whole thing feels better with the wider stance. 

• Like 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien

30m version of GMB Mobility - Spine 🚀

This felt great after a few days of too much sitting. The Sumo Frogger made R hip a little bit twingy but it feels fine now. 

Prep
→ Tall Kneeling Arm Raises to Side
→ Quadruped Wag Tail
→ Standing Knee to Chest

Practice
→ Sumo Frogger
→ Basic Monkey
→ Bear
→ Extended Side Angle Pose
→ Cobra
→ Quadruped Twist
→ Half Pancake

• Like 2

-J. R. R. Tolkien

On 7/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, Elastigirl said:

Nice workout! The Sumo frogger can be super tough,(though good) on the hips!

Sumo Frogger is ridiculously hard, best I can do is about a quarter-squat depth and even then it is almost as much physical comedy as actual training. 

30m version of Integral Strength - Twisting Bear Hips On Ground Push-Up and Broad Jump 🚀

Mostly felt good. In both variations of the Twisting Bear I need to turn my R hand a little bit outward or I get significant pain in the wrist.  Back Scale works much better if I keep it low and very slow. Jumps still have very little height but the soft landing is getting more consistent. 

Prep
→ General Kneeling Lunge
→ Quadruped Sidebend

Practice
→ Broad Jump
→ Twisting Bear Hips On Ground Push-Up

Push
→ Half Pancake
→ Frog Stretch
→ Tuck Jump 
→ Full Back Scale
→ Bent Arm Bear

• Like 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien