As @deftona said in her new challenge, it is about seeing just how much progress I can make in such a short time frame. I found this very inspiring the moment I read it, and decided to go for it too.

Then, this challenge is about making the most of the summer and working hard to improve myself.

There is maintenance: everyday meditation, eating lots of freggies, daily music practice.

There is consolidation and improvement: cross country run, parallettes and floor work, self-defence, sink push-ups.

There is novelty: stop visiting my favourite news site to stop being so angry and frustrated; taking all my supplements everyday (recent events at home have caused a huge rise in anxiety).

And even one old friend: icelandic.

How will this work? Simple enough:

For the next 6 weeks, I will give myself permission to rest when needed but also will give the best of myself when I am active.

And this is a long challenge, so I go back to a 15 points reward system.

Everyday meditation: +2 WIS

Lots of freggies and supplements: +2 CON

Daily music practice: +1 CHA

Cross country run: +1 STA

Parallettes: +2 STR

Floor: +1 DEX

Sink push-ups: +1 STR

Self-defence: +1 DEX ; +1 STA

Stop reading the news: +2 WIS

Icelandic: + 1CHA

I need at least half the points to achieve level 23.

• Like 9

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Good to see so much keenness for starting challenges even with the 2-week "break" :) I'm pleased they put the new forums up as early as possible. Following!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Following!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I've spent the morning thinking of things I'd like to do and paralised by the anxiety (cat definitely sick, landlord wanting to meet today -I thought all was settled?, and a few other things that put me off), and I suddenly found myself mindlessly looking at my news feed. Decided I didn't need more things to feel bad about, got up and worked on flute technique for half an hour. 

Not the flashiest way to start a challenge, but fighting anxiety is always hard. It's always a win when I manage to act on it.

I've planned to work a bit on my anxiety through meditation this afternoon, and I am sure I will feel better afterwards.

----------

Just installed StayFocusd and blocked the news site for 24 hours. Phone is still there, but I tend to use it less for this. It's a beginning.

• Like 4

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Oooh I love it! Let's do awesome stuff together! 

Let's kick some ass!

1 hour ago, Owlet said:

Following!

Thank you! I guess you're back from your family time :)

57 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

Good to see so much keenness for starting challenges even with the 2-week "break" :) I'm pleased they put the new forums up as early as possible. Following!

Breaks are not for true Rebels! :D

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following!

Welcome!

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

I've planned to work a bit on my anxiety through meditation this afternoon, and I am sure I will feel better afterwards.

Done. After the meditation I also did some Feldenkrais to help the body release tension. Without all the overwhelming feelings shouting at me it's easier to handle things.

• Like 2

Following!! This sounds like a great challenge! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 43

2020 challenges: 43 | 44 | 45 (current)

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following!! This sounds like a great challenge! 

Thank you! I hope I'll be at the hight of the challenge ahead!

Self-defence day. Today I felt the bite of envy. There was a new girl there on her first day, and she had THE body. I won't say she looked like a fitness model, this is real life, but close enough. She was strong and agile, and had previous boxing training from what I saw. She was at a loss with self-defence technique, obviously, but you could see she knew how to punch and how to move. We ended the class with sparring rounds, 4 against 1, and she was like a squirrel, escaping from us, rolling on the floor... Briefly, she was AMAZING. I want to be her :concern:

Aside from that, the class was pretty light today (I can't believe we did sparring and I'm saying it was light, first time ever), so I may do some parallettes work in the afternoon. Or maybe I'll go outside because it is raining and the woods will smell lovely in the evening.

Meditation is in place, plenty of vegetables are being eaten, and now I have to find an strategy for icelandic. I want to make a clear progress on it, but sometimes it is so demoralizing having no one to correct my mistakes or helping me understand how do I say this or that...

I used my phone to check twice the news site, BUT, I only read the headlines and was aware of how I was feeling. The moment I began to feel overwhelmed, I closed it. Didn't check it on my computer or read the news themselves nor the comments, as I usually do. I remember I began to use this news site because of the comments. It was a rather small community and the comments were enriching (polite debate, people providing a lot of context or knowledge about the news...), but now is full of trolls and idiots that just want to do the coolest joke about what happened. It depresses me even more.

As a result of the bujo PvP challenge I got a sketchbook as a reward, to upgrade my music practice log (I sometimes draw in between my notes), and now I can't make up my mind, whether I should first completely fill my current notebook, or start the sketchbook. And more, it is so beautiful that now I am afraid to screw it with a bad drawing or something.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I want to be her :concern:

I get cha. Sometimes I see women and am like, "Yes! That! I want to be that" Jealousy can be wicked but maybe if it was worked into a positive thing.. like a goal. Seeing her can be inspiration each time. See how she's become such a great boxer and in good shape. Every time you see her can be, "Man, I'm going to be her one day."

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

but now is full of trolls and idiots that just want to do the coolest joke about what happened. It's depresses me even more.

Yeah, the internet is growing to be a disturbing place. I'm so glad and impressed at how "clean" Nerd Fitness is. It's really so overwhelmingly full of helpful, positive people. 

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

whether I should first completely fill my current notebook, or start the sketchbook. And more, it is so beautiful that now I am afraid to screw it with a bad drawing or something.

Well, if you're worried about messing something up, maybe practice on the rest of your notebook then. ;) Just kidding. I know what you mean. You can always rip the page out if it's that bad. But I doubt it. Even the beautiful pieces of art you look at 2 years later and go, "Wow, I got a lot better." This being said, I want to do a bujo but I feel the same way. I don't wanna mess it up. I see such beautiful bujo's here on NF that it's rather intimidating! Haha.

• Like 2

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

25 minutes ago, Lilmissbri said:

Jealousy can be wicked but maybe if it was worked into a positive thing.. like a goal.

My boyfriend told me: "forget love or faith, envy can move mountains" :D He was joking but it's the same point you gave, bad feelings can also be turned into some type of motivation.

27 minutes ago, Lilmissbri said:

maybe practice on the rest of your notebook then. ;) Just kidding.

But in fact it is what I was thinking. Only recently I began to draw in my log, and I need more practice. I also think it would be nice to have 2017's entire work in one only place. At the same time, I'm a bit sad that many of my drawings are ruined by the writing on the other side, because the paper is too thin. What a dilemma.

Thanks for coming by!

• Like 3

Parallettes!

· plank push-ups. When, oh when, will these little bastards improve? Real thing: 3+2+2. Knee push-ups: 8+10.

· front dips. 2x8 (straight legs) + 3x10 (bent legs). Not a good day for an exercise that usually feels easy.

· plank hold. 3x60'' Great! 30'' more than last time.

· tuck hold. 2x20'' + 15''. Almost 20 more seconds than last time, and I can go further up.

· chin-ups. 4+2x3. I need to use less of my "whole body" strength and instead can use my arms to go up in control from the floor, which feels like quite an improvement. Pretty happy with this.

Time for a shower, a short walk in the park and then cook some nutritious dinner.

• Like 3

Sounds like a good start to Summer freeedom!

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Self-defence day. Today I felt the bite of envy. There was a new girl there on her first day, and she had THE body. I won't say she looked like a fitness model, this is real life, but close enough. She was strong and agile, and had previous boxing training from what I saw. She was at a loss with self-defence technique, obviously, but you could see she knew how to punch and how to move. We ended the class with sparring rounds, 4 against 1, and she was like a squirrel, escaping from us, rolling on the floor... Briefly, she was AMAZING. I want to be her :concern:

Ahah, you have such a rational approach to this :) I've always thought there were two responses people have to envy:

1. inspiration by demonstrating that more is possible that what you had previously considered
  2. resignation that it's too difficult to compete so you should give up (or sabotage the other person)

Obviously one of these is more positive and useful than the other :P

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

[...] now I have to find an strategy for icelandic. I want to make a clear progress on it, but sometimes it is so demoralizing having no one to correct my mistakes or helping me understand how do I say this or that...

There exist language exchanges where e.g. you speak with an Icelandic speaker (preferably native) over Skype - partly in Icelandic and partly in whatever language you speak. I'm sure lots of Icelandic people would happily practise speaking Spanish with a Spanish speaker, and if your spoken English is anywhere near as good as your written English then you could exchange with Icelandic learners of either Spanish or English. Typically you'd switch languages every ~5 minutes so you each get lots of practice. Of course you can also ask them questions about pronunciation or whatever. I did this with Talvi from NerdFitness (both of us English natives learning Spanish) and it helped a lot.

iTalki and Verbling are the two sites I know about that do this. Google search for "language exchange" or "intercambio de idiomas" might find you more.

I had the same problem as you when I first learned Spanish. The first times I tried to speak Spanish in Spain, people couldn't understand me and thought I were French. Turns out I was rolling my 'r's the French way (guttural) and not the Spanish way (trill or tap). And I'd say things like "Éstaba de compras" until Talvi's Spanish boyfriend corrected me :P

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

12 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Obviously one of these is more positive and useful than the other :P

You mean I should sabotage her, right? RIGHT?! C'mon, she's too perfect :lol:

Jokes aside, I think it was my envy who pushed me yesterday to that parallettes workout on a self-defence day, so if it can make me better... :D It is true that I had thought of it for my challenge (parallettes when self-defence is not that tough), but I am sure she was there, in the back of my mind. My boyfriend told me the are many reasons why I don't have that body or those abilities. The main one is that I never trained before in my life, that I spent the first 38 years of my life being sedentary and that has a toll, and it has also made me start from scratch; and second, he thinks I should push myself a bit more. I use to have on and off patterns with exercise, and he reminded me of that time when I said exercise was the priority and I got so good results. Regarding physical looks, well, it is true I don't have that type of constitution, so that would be indeed difficult for me to look like her :D, but all of the other things are doable.

12 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

There exist language exchanges where e.g. you speak with an Icelandic speaker (preferably native) over Skype - partly in Icelandic and partly in whatever language you speak. I'm sure lots of Icelandic people would happily practise speaking Spanish with a Spanish speaker, and if your spoken English is anywhere near as good as your written English then you could exchange with Icelandic learners of either Spanish or English. Typically you'd switch languages every ~5 minutes so you each get lots of practice. Of course you can also ask them questions about pronunciation or whatever. I did this with Talvi from NerdFitness (both of us English natives learning Spanish) and it helped a lot.

iTalki and Verbling are the two sites I know about that do this. Google search for "language exchange" or "intercambio de idiomas" might find you more.

I don't know about Verbling, so I'll take a look to it. At iTalki or other sites of the type what I have found are 2 things, both caused by icelandic speakers being so few: 1) there is almost no icelandic people registered in those sites, and most of them are inactive. 2) Those who are active, usually offer their help in exchange of money, around 20-30€/hour. 

I've tried with those wanting to learn spanish, and those are fewer and most are inactive profiles. No way to exchange icelandic for english as they all speak english quite well. When I tried to find a language partner, never got responses. Also contacted other people learning icelandic, but they weren't interested in a serious study of the language, but more on knowing some few cool things and that's all. At one point I just was posting my exercises at lang-8 to get them corrected, but it usually took months until an icelander would pass by and take a look at it so I finally stopped. Maybe I should had to be more persistent and keep on posting exercises until something changed, like someone deciding to help me or establishing a closer relationship with some of the checkers... Thinking of it, it's a good strategy. I'll start to upload things again. Anyway, it's been a while I haven't visited those sites, so I'll take another look at them.  And I'll look at Verbling, maybe it has a bigger icelandic community.

Another thing I'd like to do is to register in some icelandic forum and start participating, but I am far of being able to communicate in that way. 

In some way I have come to this point where I'm resigned to learn this totally on my own. Or move to Iceland :D I swear I will learn that beautiful language.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Turns out I was rolling my 'r's the French way (guttural) and not the Spanish way (trill or tap)

Why on earth were you rolling your r? :D 

I reactivated my lang-8 account. My next moves are: take a look at what I uploaded there and their corrections, open a study group in the site in case anyone wants to join, and then begin writing again and try to get some icelander more involved in my work.

Also, there are some bits of disney movies translated to icelandic on youtube, and although I am far of being a fan of disney, I guess I can get a lot of help from that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Let me know if you move to Iceland and I'll come join you :D How did you first start learning it? Online? Books? Other?

We will enjoy the cold and the active volcanos together :D 

I started with books, stopped for a while, then discovered internet: downloaded free books with audios the icelandic government provides, registered for a free course online with the icelandic university (didn't like it, poor structure, ugly interface), opened profiles at several language sites, and then bought a book and a comicbook to read, both too difficult. I think I haven't been working on it anymore because I feel discouraged, but I am ready to give it a good try again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Why on earth were you rolling your r? :D 

We colloquially call it "rolling [the] 'r's" in English whether it's the French way or the Spanish way or anything else that's not just the boring English sound. Problem was I thought all languages rolled their 'r's the same way, when actually French and Spanish are so so different. And apparently German and Turkish etc. are different again but I can't hear the difference between those and Spanish.

I found a couple more Icelandic language exchange places:

Another option is seeing who in Reykjavik on Couchsurfing wants to do a language exchange (on profiles it lists interests and things people want to learn) but I think in Reykjavik they'll be so overwhelmed with tourists that they won't be interested :P

Hopefully you find some helpful people on a site you're already trying - if not then there's probably no-one out there. Could be worth paying for a lesson occasionally just to check your pronunciation.

When are you planning to go to Iceland? I remember you contemplating a trip a while ago!

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

43 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

We colloquially call it "rolling [the] 'r's" in English whether it's the French way or the Spanish way or anything else that's not just the boring English sound. Problem was I thought all languages rolled their 'r's the same way, when actually French and Spanish are so so different. And apparently German and Turkish etc. are different again but I can't hear the difference between those and Spanish.

I found a couple more Icelandic language exchange places:

Another option is seeing who in Reykjavik on Couchsurfing wants to do a language exchange (on profiles it lists interests and things people want to learn) but I think in Reykjavik they'll be so overwhelmed with tourists that they won't be interested :P

Hopefully you find some helpful people on a site you're already trying - if not then there's probably no-one out there. Could be worth paying for a lesson occasionally just to check your pronunciation.

When are you planning to go to Iceland? I remember you contemplating a trip a while ago!

Omg, you took the time to do a research yourself? That's very kind of you :) 

I remember mylanguageexchange. I may still have an account there. I tried the text chat and was assaulted by a bunch of salivating men, and also by some people wanting to know too many personal details, so I quit. Maybe it has been sanitized since then.

I've thought of paying for some lessons, but I am not sure. Finding the right teacher can take time, so I would need to invest some money until I found a good one. The only "pro" one I found, with very good reviews, charges 60€ for a lesson of 45 minutes :(

Yes, I was planning a trip to Iceland, but I've had several financial setbacks and it doesn't seem that the trip will happen any time soon :( I'm trying to grow my savings account right now, but I am also seriously investing in my career, so Iceland will have to wait.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Following for P1 awesomeness! I'm doing it this winter, so I'm excited to see your progress

If I have a follower on P1 now, I'll have no choice but to work my ass off on this. Fan pressure! :D 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, zenLara said:

If I have a follower on P1 now, I'll have no choice but to work my ass off on this. Fan pressure! :D 

Yep, I'm counting on you to  do it and be there for advice when I go through it!

• Like 3

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe