Jump to content

Recommended Posts

You're welcome :) It took me only a couple of minutes because I've searched for this sort of stuff before for myself (the Barcelona Challenge) and I know where some options are.

 

To be honest, a pro teacher is most useful to someone learning from scratch, but you already have a lot of experience with the language and you know how to study well, so if all you need a teacher for is pronunciation practice/correction, then any helpful native speaker of Icelandic will be almost as good. There might be a student with some free time that could do so if you wanted, for example.

 

Sorry to hear you had totally the wrong kind of experience on myLanguageExchange.com :( I don't even know why salivating men would choose to go there to interact with women... Hopefully it is a more pleasant environment now!

  • Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Link to post
7 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Sorry to hear you had totally the wrong kind of experience on myLanguageExchange.com :( I don't even know why salivating men would choose to go there to interact with women... Hopefully it is a more pleasant environment now!

I was wrong. I checked and it wasn't at mylanguageexchange, it was at the polyglotclub chat room. I'm waiting for a couple of answers at mylanguageexchange.

  • Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post

Self-defence was tough. We did a variation of the previous technique (being caught from the back, but today your arms were trapped too, last day we had our arms free), and then sparring, 2 against 1, but you were sitting or lying on the floor -no kneeling nor standing up allowed (the attackers were standing up, so the one being beaten was in huge disadvantage). At least it was only for 2 rounds each one. Funny thing: I didn't even had energy to sing in the car on my way back home (yes, I do that. You do it too, confess) and when I arrived home I just wanted to lay down and sleep, but managed to stay awake and do some things. I can assure you there won't be any parallettes work today, maybe not even a stroll. Impatiently awaiting lunch time.

 

There was an old basketball ball in the gym, don't know why, and I used it to try to balance myself on it, while we were waiting for the class to start. I needed some support on the wall at first, but finally managed to stand on it for 5-6 seconds. I had never tried that, it was fun.

 

 

  • Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
6 hours ago, zenLara said:

There was an old basketball ball in the gym, don't know why, and I used it to try to balance myself on it, while we were waiting for the class to start. I needed some support on the wall at first, but finally managed to stand on it for 5-6 seconds. I had never tried that, it was fun.

Impressive!

 

6 hours ago, zenLara said:

Funny thing: I didn't even had energy to sing in the car on my way back home (yes, I do that. You do it too, confess)

I absolutely do this!! No shame. In fact, when I'm not singing, I'll realize after a time and go "Whoa, I'm either exhausted or really thinking about something."

  • Like 2

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
2018 
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

Link to post
21 minutes ago, Lilmissbri said:

Whoa, I'm either exhausted or really thinking about something

Yeah, right?

  • Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post

Parallettes!

 

Soreness from self-defence is massive, but thought I could try to do a short workout at least.

 

· plank side to sides 3x8

· assisted shoulder raises 3x8

· jump throughs 3x10

· assisted inverted press 3x3

· swing sets 3x10

 

 

  • Like 3

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
On 30/06/2017 at 0:41 AM, Owlet said:

I watched a cool video the other day comparing Danish and Norwegian language that very clearly illustrated how different the pronunciation is even though a lot of the words are so similar. Mmmm language :D 

Danish is just about the ugliest language ever. (Sorry to any Danes :P) Even though I speak Swedish which is extremely close to Danish I'd much rather speak English because I can't for the life of me understand what they say. :) The Danes on the other hand seem to understand Swedish just fine...

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Danish is just about the ugliest language ever. (Sorry to any Danes :P) Even though I speak Swedish which is extremely close to Danish I'd much rather speak English because I can't for the life of me understand what they say. :) The Danes on the other hand seem to understand Swedish just fine...

 

...Apparently even Danish people can't understand Danish - they just pretend they know what other people try to tell them :P According to this documentary comedy sketch at least:

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Link to post
8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'd much rather speak English because I can't for the life of me understand what they say. :) The Danes on the other hand seem to understand Swedish just fine...

This would explain things I didn't understand when I watched Bron/broen :D:D:D 

 

7 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

 

...Apparently even Danish people can't understand Danish - they just pretend they know what other people try to tell them :P According to this documentary comedy sketch at least:

 

 

 

LOL!!

Their english is pretty cranky too :D

 

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

Loving the thread. Can't believe you're doing paralettes after self defense. Rawr!

I can't believe it myself :lol:

  • Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post

How did first week go?

 

Everyday meditation: done everyday. Sessions going from 4 to 30 minutes depending on the day.

Parallettes: twice! Excellent.

Self-defence: twice. Very good!

Daily music practice: good work done. 30-60 minutes everyday. Not much, but the new techniques are really tiring, I hope to practice longer when I get used.

Stop reading the news: there's room for improvement here, but I can say I have never been less informed in years. 

Icelandic: finished organizing the work. Will start this week.

Lots of freggies and supplements: not bad on freggies, considerably improvable on supplements.

Floor: still haven't decided on it.

Cross country run: not this week. The weather was cold and very windy (june?)

Sink push-ups: I was building this habit and suddenly forgot about it?

 

I feel it was a good week because of the amount of exercise done, compared with these past months, but there is still room for improvement in many areas. I am rather happy, I'm feeling I am in the good path.

 

  • Like 5

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Icelandic: finished organizing the work. Will start this week.

Floor: still haven't decided on it.

Did my first icelandic grammar exercise, so I'm finally started.

Floor 1. Omg, SHINY!! I want to do all of it. But I have to be patient, will start with something from this list:

 

· crow pose. And when it is ok, crow pose to forward roll (I never really tried because the idea scared me, but after my experience at the gym last year, where I did literally hundreds of rolls, I don't think it will be a problem anymore)

· prep. for backward roll (scary).

· work through handstands: feet on the top of the couch, hands on the floor.

· seated leg raises. Ugh, I don't really want to do them, but they look so strenghthening

· prep for candle stick. I can do it rather well, but I prefer to work on the preparation for a while to improve form and control.

· prep bridge. Same as with candle stick. In this case I want to improve back flexibility, to have a better arch.

  • Like 5

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
2 hours ago, zenLara said:

 

I feel it was a good week because of the amount of exercise done, compared with these past months, but there is still room for improvement in many areas. I am rather happy, I'm feeling I am in the good path.

Awesome! Looks like it was a good week goal-wise, well done :) So nice to hear you feeling more energised again

  • Like 1
Link to post

hi there! love the challenge, as per normal! and love your super inspiration and great motivation!

 

  • Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

 

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

 

Link to post

The day started poorly today. I had planned to go to self-defence, and when I was about to leave, it turned out my boyfriend had forgotten to tell me we were celebrating his father's birthday today, so we should grab our things and go. We were in the car when her mother called to talk about the gift and she wondered why were we already going if it was a dinner party. What. She had forgotten to tell us (this is obviously a thing that runs in the family). Too late for self-defence and lots of frustration. Spent a few minutes with an unsettled brain telling me I just should waste my time. But, I decided to try out those Floor 1 moves I want to work on.

 

· Candle stick. I've planned to work on the 3 first variations until I am sure everything I do is a controlled movement. Easy to manage.

· Backwards roll. I'll stay for a while on the first variation, where I only have to get my knees to my ears and stretch there for a while.

· Bridge. I have lost SO MUCH :( I tried to get my head off the floor, just for the fun, and I couldn't. I'll work for a while on the first variation to work on my back stretch, and the second variation (head on the floor) to try to rebuild some arm strength.

· Crow hold. I didn't expect this to work, so maybe that's why I don't feel disappointed. I tried first lifting only each foot in turns, then tried lifting both. Succeeded for half a second. It looks like something that will come back easily.

· To handstands. Climbed up the couch and then put my hands on the floor. Not sure what position my back was in, being upside down is so confusing for my brain. Held it there for 10 seconds.

 

It looks like something too long to do after a strenuous parallettes workout, so maybe I can just use them as singles along the day. I've never done this with anything aside the push-ups, so I am wondering wether it will work, or I'll just forget, or it won't be safer to do them "cold"?

  • Like 5

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post

Ah, well done for making the most of unfortunately having missed the self-defence class! :)

 

If you don't know what position your body is in in a handstand, take a photo (or video) - this helped me fix lots of my problems with my handstands.

 

For the bridge, it's probably your arm strength that's dipped below the threshold that you need. If I'm feeling too weak for a bridge I kinda rock my body into the position and push hard with my arms and sometimes that works. But you're wise to work on the easier variations anyway to build up that base of strength.

 

You held a crow pose for 60 seconds a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, laraCrow? It's probably technique that's rusty and you'll improve quickly :) I tried a 60-second crow the other day, and it's hard... It felt like really good wrist and shoulder training!

  • Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Link to post

Don't worry, it will all come back quicker than you think!!

 

44 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

If you don't know what position your body is in in a handstand, take a photo (or video) - this helped me fix lots of my problems with my handstands.

This!!! 

 

Being upside down is confusing for everyone's brain in the beginning, not just yours. :) 

 

43 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

For the bridge, it's probably your arm strength that's dipped below the threshold that you need.

Typically it's shoulder flexibility that's the limiting factor. If you can get your hands directly underneath your shoulders you need very little arm strength to hold you up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

If you don't know what position your body is in in a handstand, take a photo (or video) - this helped me fix lots of my problems with my handstands.

I'll ask my boyfriend to take pics, then.

 

 

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

For the bridge, it's probably your arm strength that's dipped below the threshold that you need

 

29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

If you can get your hands directly underneath your shoulders you need very little arm strength to hold you up.

It does seem a problem of strength. I can put my hands right below my shoulders without any trouble, but somehow I lack the strength to push up. I guess it will take a couple of weeks to come back, and anyway, I'll focus on my back arch in the beginning.

 

 

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

You held a crow pose for 60 seconds a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, laraCrow? It's probably technique that's rusty and you'll improve quickly :) I tried a 60-second crow the other day, and it's hard... It felt like really good wrist and shoulder training!

Yes, 60 seconds was hard, but manageable. I'm confident that it'll come back soon, specially because when I worked on it 2 years ago it was the "scary thing" where I could end with my face planted on the floor. However, after so many new experiences these years now it feels like something I can easily attain. 

 

29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Being upside down is confusing for everyone's brain in the beginning, not just yours. :) 

Glad to know I'm not alone. I feel so stupid not knowing what I am doing or where I am.

  • Like 5

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
56 minutes ago, zenLara said:

It does seem a problem of strength. I can put my hands right below my shoulders without any trouble, but somehow I lack the strength to push up. I guess it will take a couple of weeks to come back, and anyway, I'll focus on my back arch in the beginning.

 

I didn't necessarily mean in your case, just in general. :) (and probably true in @SymphonicDan's case) Even if people can put their hands under their shoulders when starting the movement, they don't necessarily have the flexibility for the final position and end up pushing their head/shoulders towards their feet instead of up. Which requires a lot more strength and can be rough on the shoulders.

 

For you I'm sure it's just a case of simply figuring it out again. :) Perhaps you could try and push more with your legs?

 

56 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Glad to know I'm not alone. I feel so stupid not knowing what I am doing or where I am.

Yeah, it's completely normal. The number of times I've heard this conversation at circus/pole:

 

"bring your left leg down"

"this left??"

"no, the OTHER left!"

"uh I'm confused, why am I all tangled up"

"because you brought your leg up, not down"

:) 

  • Like 5
Link to post
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I didn't necessarily mean in your case, just in general. :) (and probably true in @SymphonicDan's case) Even if people can put their hands under their shoulders when starting the movement, they don't necessarily have the flexibility for the final position and end up pushing their head/shoulders towards their feet instead of up. Which requires a lot more strength and can be rough on the shoulders.

 

Actually this is something I overlook. Now I have the strength to reliably do bridges I just push into it, but I should try a more mechanically-advantageous position - thanks :)

  • Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines