9 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Actually this is something I overlook. Now I have the strength to reliably do bridges I just push into it, but I should try a more mechanically-advantageous position - thanks :)

I tried doing some bridges last night after reading this thread and discovered I have the same problem.  I have enough strength to push into a bridge even though my hands are nowhere near my shoulders.  However, it seems I don't have the shoulder flexibility to get them there...

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Sooooo tired today. Floor 1 took a big toll on my arms, and when in the afternoon we went to the birthday party and played in the pool I had jelly arms. I feel so sleepy today.

But I have excellent news regarding two of my goals.

I blocked the news site on my laptop but there was still a problem to solve with my phone. I usually read the news now and then, and I thought it would be a good idea to change the habit a bit instead of trying to make it disappear. So I reactivated my feedly account to have plenty of useful or interesting things to read from blogs I used to follow or new ones I can find interesting. I stopped doing it because it was time consuming, but now it seems far more productive than what I'm doing and far less stressing.

Then for my icelandic goal: feedly account was still full of blogs I used to follow or some that where marked to explore but never were. One of those last ones is a blog on icelandic language, and it is amazing! Every post is about some icelandic culture or society news, with a short introduction in english on the subject. Then the news is divided by paragraphs and translated, and one or two special words are picked to review for some or other interesting reason, and a short vocabulary list appears at the end of every post. It is very well built, and the news I've read so far are interesting and simple enough to follow (one about a museum dedicated to a poet -and the blogger took the time to find a poem and put it there too-, and another one about a park specifically designed to walk barefoot). This will lead to a rather messy learning compared to my usual approach, and there will be some grammar things I won't understand, but seems like a fun way to learn everyday vocabulary and expressions with plenty of context. Thank you past me!

By the way, I accept blogs suggestions. Do you follow some that you could recommend?

• Like 7

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

What kind of blogs?

That Icelandic one sounds like a really neat way of learning! I kind of think that language learning should be messy. That's how the brain learns after all, we cherry pick the things that either come up often enough and/or are interesting enough. We don't think in grammar and structure. :)

I'm using Freedom for both my laptop and phone for blocking websites and it works great. The good thing about it is that you can schedule windows where you're allowed to browse, and they can be different for each device and for each website. Might be something to keep in mind if you find that switching to Feedly ends up too time consuming. (I do so for example I only allow Feedly on the weekends)

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What kind of blogs?

Well, I am actually following some science blogs, a paleo recipe site, two blogs on icelandic/iceland, a spanish writer history blog, and some other health related sites. I also like paleoanthropology, but for some odd reason I don't seem to find a fine blog in spanish.

However, I didn't specify because someone may be recommending something far from these subjects that could turn out to be pretty interesting to me, and maybe it wouldn't be recommended by anyone if I had previously said "I follow this type of blogs", because "it won't be her type of reading". Mainly, I like people who are passionate about something and can transmit that through their writing.

I kind of think that language learning should be messy. That's how the brain learns after all, we cherry pick the things that either come up often enough and/or are interesting enough. We don't think in grammar and structure.

I agree, and that's the way I mainly learnt other languages before, but it didn't seem like it would work with icelandic because it is such an intricate language. Now I think what happened is that I didn't find an appropriate type of material to work that way until now. This blog seems exactly what I need :)

I'm using Freedom for both my laptop and phone for blocking websites and it works great. The good thing about it is that you can schedule windows where you're allowed to browse, and they can be different for each device and for each website. Might be something to keep in mind if you find that switching to Feedly ends up too time consuming. (I do so for example I only allow Feedly on the weekends)

It doesn't seem to exist for android? But I'm sure I can find an alternative. If feedly becomes a problem in itself, I may use some app blocker, but by now, with my news-related stress I think getting hooked on science and history blogs is the best thing that can happen to me.

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

Hmm, can't think of any particularly interesting blogs right now, that are active anyway. I feel like most of mine are food related. :) But I'll keep an eye out.

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

I agree, and that's the way I mainly learnt other languages before, but it didn't seem like it would work with icelandic because it is such an intricate language. Now I think what happened is that I didn't find an appropriate type of material to work that way until now. This blog seems exactly what I need :)

I think it works the same way, it just takes more time with the increased complexity! I can imagine that finding good Icelandic resources is just as fun as finding good Finnish ones...

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

It doesn't seem to exist for android? But I'm sure I can find an alternative. If feedly becomes a problem in itself, I may use some app blocker, but by now, with my news-related stress I think getting hooked on science and history blogs is the best thing that can happen to me.

Huh, it appears you're right. Offtime seems to be the equivalent, though you can't sync them together as of yet. Hopefully you won't need it anyway! :) 

• Like 1

Icelandic blog sounds fascinating. Good find past you!

I skim a blog called The Mary Sue is a feminist approach to geek/nerdom. A lot of their articles don't grab my attention, but the ones that do are pretty cool. In English.

My favorite food blogs are Mel Joulwan (Well Fed, formerly theclothesmakethegirl) and Nom Nom Paleo. 

Not sure that I have a lot of others that are super awesome, but maybe worth checking out.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

I skim a blog called The Mary Sue is a feminist approach to geek/nerdom. A lot of their articles don't grab my attention, but the ones that do are pretty cool. In English.

I love The Mary Sue! And Jezebel. 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

Icelandic blog sounds fascinating. Good find past you!

My favorite food blogs are Mel Joulwan (Well Fed, formerly theclothesmakethegirl) and Nom Nom Paleo. 

Not sure that I have a lot of others that are super awesome, but maybe worth checking out.

3 hours ago, deftona said:

I love The Mary Sue! And Jezebel. 

Thank you, girls! I'll check them this weekend.

Yesterday I went groceries shopping and ended buying a huge amount of things. Til the point that it was difficult to carry them. I had to take rests at several points on my way home, and given the poor state of my arms when I finally arrived, I am totally counting it as a strength workout.

So today, even when self-defence was not a big challenge (it was mainly about agility and focus and I'm good at that) I didn't feel like using the parallettes. Instead, I worked a bit on forward and backward bends for rolls and bridges, did some table push-ups, and then I tried the abs video I saw in @Mad Hatter thread. It annoys me so much that I can't do sit ups that I wanted to check whether I am actually that weak or to confirm it's an imbalance of my upperbody-lowerbody weight. While I must say after 4th or 5th exercise I needed to pause for a few seconds after every exercise, I could follow the routine without much trouble. Tiring, but doable. Then, I guess I am not that weak.

And I am thinking now that an abs routine, twice or three times per week would do me good for my music practice. New technique is pretty heavy on abs and working strength aside the practice could probably make me better in less time. And because I am not doing enough things this challenge, it seems. 

Resultado de imagen de i want it all gif

• Like 7

Rest day yesterday

No exercise done, other than a short walk, of about 30 minutes, in the country. It had rained the night before so my footsteps where so silent on the wet ground that the quiet around was almost magical. I thought I would be lucky and see some animals, but it didn't happen. I run my way back following a trail. Arrived home just before the big storm exploded. The rest of the day was a dark one with heavy rain, so I remained at home. Took the time to play a bit with some watercolor pencils I bought last week. A pity I didn't think of buying watercolor paper too, oups.

Meditation is in place, and I took some time to work on one article from the icelandic blog. Listened to some audios too this morning while preparing breakfast. Tried 2 new recipes involving vegetables yesterday, and I only checked the news once. Did one hour and a half of flute technique, maybe too much at this stage.

Well, maybe it wasn't such a rest day :) 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I thought I would be lucky and see some animals, but it didn't happen.

Maybe for the best.  Last time you ran into an animal it was an angry wild boar

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Maybe for the best.  Last time you ran into an animal it was an angry wild boar

Yes, but that is uncommon. Boars told me off only twice in 2 years, while I see rabbits, does and lizards almost everytime. Yesterday nobody was there, not even magpies. I guess everybody was in a safe place, hiding from the upcoming storm.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

Well, maybe it wasn't such a rest day :) 

Sounded like a very nice day though. :) And rest is relative. ^____^

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Yesterday felt a bit boring, with no storm to be fascinated at.

Some icelandic listening, several moments for meditation, lots of vegetables, some forward backward stretches, 15 sink push-ups, one focused hour of flute technique, and a 1 hour walk in the country.

Added cucumber to my usual afternoon shake and it didn't change the taste but felt more refreshing.

Watercolor paper is definitely needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Yesterday felt a bit boring, with no storm to be fascinated at.

Some icelandic listening, several moments for meditation, lots of vegetables, some forward backward stretches, 15 sink push-ups, one focused hour of flute technique, and a 1 hour walk in the country.

Added cucumber to my usual afternoon shake and it didn't change the taste but felt more refreshing.

Watercolor paper is definitely needed.

This is the good kind of boring! Excellent day.

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Well, well, well... Look who is here to brag about her workout...

BEHOLD!

tenor.gif

Warm-up! Review of last eskrima class, but using only my left arm. Yesss!

Parallettes!

· front dips, all sets with straight legs! 8+10!+8 

· plank push-ups 5!!!!+3!+4!!! Winneeeeeer!

· tuck hold 30 secooooonds!!+25!!+20! Who is awesome!?

· chin-ups 4+4!!!! Wonderwoman is here!

No regular planks, instead:

· couch handstands: 3x15 seconds!!! Position checked, almost a perfect right angle!!

· crow: 7 seconds!! WOOOOOOO!! It has come back!!!

Time to relax!

• Like 8

Second week report!

Everyday meditation: done everydaySessions going from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the day. 2 sessions some days.

Daily music practice: excellent! 30-90 minutes, slowly increasing technique time.

Floor: up and running!

Parallettes: once. Less than last week but good progress.

Self-defence: once. Missed one lesson. Not my fault.

Stop reading the news: better. Still taking a short peek now and then on the phone, but I don't read the comments, and I have only read in full news about science.

Icelandic: 1 listening, 1 article, 1 grammar exercise. Not bad.

Sink push-ups: I can remember at least 3 times.

Cross country run: twice.

Lots of freggies and supplements: good on freggies, totally forgot about supplements.

Even better than first week! Yay!

• Like 5

Way to go! Awesome!!!

or

Meh, not bad for a cyborg ;)

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

Even better than first week! Yay!

Great progress. :D

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great week 2! (or it it zero week 2:))

I'm using the 2 zero weeks as part of the challenge, so this time I'm back to the old 6 week system, and counting weeks as if it were so. Today is third week for me! Almost half the challenge and all the thrill still there! 

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Way to go! Awesome!!!

or

Meh, not bad for a cyborg ;)

I am sorry, but this is not cyborg stuff. 5 miserable push-ups or a halfhandstand... But I'll let you know when I get placed my first mechanical parts.

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Great progress. :D

Yasss!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, annyshay said:

WRONG 

Many people can't do any of those things and you did them all during one week... like a cyborg. :P

We could be arguing all week about what is cyborg stuff and what is not... Maybe we should have a cyborg table of contens as a guide :lol:

• Like 3