Owlet clicks back into gear

Owlet

1 hour ago, Owlet said:

I have so much cheese in the fridge. Is it bad that I judged a guy earlier because he said he doesn't like blue cheese? My brain was like 'we're so incompatible.' 

Of course it's not bad, it's basic (in)compatibility!  I'm a foodie, and love to share goodies with the person I love.  That reminds me of a guy who told me he didn't like cats, but could learn to tolerate them (I had 2 at the time).  Let's say he was left with no need to even try!

• Like 3

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

1 minute ago, Vibrantella said:

Of course it's not bad, it's basic (in)compatibility!  I'm a foodie, and love to share goodies with the person I love.  That reminds me of a guy who told me he didn't like cats, but could learn to tolerate them (I had 2 at the time).  Let's say he was left with no need to even try!

Hahaha I was going to say, that's another deal breaker for me! "I'm allergic to cats" kthnxbye XD

• Like 2

(following gif goes here)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

0 Week wrap-up:

Study:

• Read study booklet at least 3 evenings per week, ideally more. Finish first read-through by 11th July before going on to more detailed revision. Done
  • Work on presentation I am giving 22nd July. Done

Exercise:

• Physio/strength exercises! 2x per week. Split up exercises if I don't have time to do them all at once. Nope
  • Go for lunchtime walks when I don't have any appointments/obligations. Done

Chant:

• Every day, for as little or as long as I feel I can/need to. Done

Upskilling:

• Organise home licence of software I need Done
  • Spend 2 sessions per week working on material to show x1
  • Aim to have finished work to show by end of July. 

Pretty good! Except for physio exercises oops... I think I need to specify exactly when I will do these as winging it doesn't seem to be working... Getting a new program tomorrow so hopefully that will help motivate me. Back and neck were quite sore over the weekend so I really need to get back into the habit of stretching/strengthening. 

• Like 7

Hi Owlet.

Seems we are both back at NF after time away. I hope you have great luck with your challenge and that being back at NF is positive (as always) and invigorating.

Hanging around to see how you are.

Cheers!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

8 hours ago, Owlet said:

I think I need to specify exactly when I will do these as winging it doesn't seem to be working.

Never works for me, at least during the habit-building stage. I have to be unyielding about a schedule or it doesn't get done. Once I've got the pattern ingrained I can (sometimes) allow a little flexibility, but even then it's scary how fast a new habit erodes.

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

6 hours ago, Terinatum said:

Hi Owlet.

Seems we are both back at NF after time away. I hope you have great luck with your challenge and that being back at NF is positive (as always) and invigorating.

Hanging around to see how you are.

Cheers!

Thanks and welcome (back)! Last week was pretty positive so here's hoping for the rest of the challenge eh :) 

3 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Never works for me, at least during the habit-building stage. I have to be unyielding about a schedule or it doesn't get done. Once I've got the pattern ingrained I can (sometimes) allow a little flexibility, but even then it's scary how fast a new habit erodes.

Ughhh I know right. I say ugh because I think the only way it's going to happen is if I commit to waking up earlier and doing exercises before work. As well as chanting. That said, since I've been finding it easier to fall asleep at night I've also been finding it easier to wake up earlier so maybe it won't be so bad. I managed some chanting this morning, phew. Did a little bit of study last night but I was actually so tired I turned the light out without even picking up my new novel! Who even am I?! 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Owlet said:

I've been finding it easier to fall asleep at night I've also been finding it easier to wake up earlier so maybe it won't be so bad. I managed some chanting this morning, phew.

That's great news!

• Like 1

Finally heard back from the guy I thought was ghosting me - an apology out of the blue for being flaky and explanation that he's struggling with work/life balance right now and wondering if he should even be dating, just letting me know as a courtesy rather than leaving me in the dark. (yay for guys who actually communicate) Kinda gutted but mostly just relieved to know wtf is going on and that it wasn't anything personal. It was nice while it lasted I guess. 

In other news my back is sore - I asked the physio to attack my trigger points yesterday so now they're all tender. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be better than before though. Managed to get up early again and ran through my new program then had a short chant. Such a good way to start the day! Fading now but I felt great driving to work. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Owlet said:

Kinda gutted but mostly just relieved to know wtf is going on and that it wasn't anything personal. It was nice while it lasted I guess. 

I take it back, I'm grumpy af. Which I'll admit is a lot better than how I used to react to this sort of thing. I'm just tired of it happening and ready to settle down. 

• Like 7

Trigger points are still pretty gnarly, 'though marginally better than the other day. I blame long work hours. Good news is I have a massage today :) 

Was planning to run through my exercises before work today but I ended up sleeping instead. I don't feel bad about it because yesterday I was stupidly tired and now I feel somewhat more recovered. Yay.

Went to a study session last night for the exam and got through a chunk of material and clarified some points. Also got some advice on what might be holding me back - namely, faith (or lack thereof) Faith in my own potential and ability to overcome my own suffering. I believe it intellectually, but when it comes to it I have great difficulty in battling my own doubts, which in turn affects the outcome. I might seek some more guidance on this as I'm not really sure how to advance at this point. The senior member who mentioned this in passing said how some people are open to developing faith in themselves and get results quickly, whereas other people are more attached to their intellect and find it harder to counter deep-seated beliefs/doubts they've held all their life. Guess which camp I'm in haha. 

Haven't had time to work on software upskilling at all, or the study I'm presenting on the 22nd. In fact, I discovered I also signed up to give one next week which I totally forgot about :o So now I have even more to do. Skipping the meeting tonight so that I can do some stuff and also relax a bit, feel like I've barely been home recently which is not good for my introverted tendencies. I keep getting bitten by things I've forgotten I committed to, I think from when I was still battling the hormones and everything was just too overwhelming. Looking forward to feeling a bit more on top of everything. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Owlet said:

The senior member who mentioned this in passing said how some people are open to developing faith in themselves and get results quickly, whereas other people are more attached to their intellect and find it harder to counter deep-seated beliefs/doubts they've held all their life. Guess which camp I'm in haha. 

Any tip of advice from him for the intellectually stubborn?

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

13 hours ago, zenLara said:

Any tip of advice from him for the intellectually stubborn?

I didn't ask as I was feeling self conscious or something (don't really know the guy that well) but it is on my list to do! I have my suspicions about what the answer will be but I'm keen to ask a few different people and get all the advice. I'll let you know haha.

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

I hope you had a lovely relaxing evening. :D

Thanks! It was good actually, even if I was exhausted. Reasons below:

So, I got acupuncture on my back yesterday and wowwww. Should've done it months ago. I've always been a little sceptical but there's no denying the difference it made. My back is almost pain-free today. I can't even remember the last time that happened. Probably not since over a year ago when I first injured it. The actual process was not super fun - the first few needles I barely felt but once she got to the really tense muscles, that hurt. But not a lot... it's hard to explain, it was just intense. When she got to one point in my back I started crying - no idea why, just an uncontrollable reaction. Super weird. Apparently not unusual though. Then I had to lie there about 20 minutes and force myself to stay still and relaxed... that was not relaxing haha. Afterwards I felt extremely drained but we had a quick chant together (she's another Buddhist member, conveniently) and I felt a bit more human after that. Phew. Home to make soup and skype mum. Did not study or anything else but it felt good to just have some time out. 

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, Owlet said:

The actual process was not super fun

I've heard that when they hit the trouble spots it can actually be pretty painful - but it's trading more pain in the short term for greater relief in the long term. I'm so glad it helped you! Might have to look into it if my back starts giving me fits again.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I'm so glad your back is feeling better!

Thanks, ME TOO!

36 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

I've heard that when they hit the trouble spots it can actually be pretty painful - but it's trading more pain in the short term for greater relief in the long term. I'm so glad it helped you! Might have to look into it if my back starts giving me fits again.

Worth it! Also glad that I went to a friend and not a stranger since I ended up crying lol. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Owlet said:

When she got to one point in my back I started crying - no idea why, just an uncontrollable reaction. Super weird. Apparently not unusual though.

It is quite common with any kind of bodywork involving the fascia.  Some would say that our fascia stores old feelings as tension, and when it's released, the feelings come back to the surface.  I myself have had crying bouts but not felt the "old feelings", so I suspect it's just a tension reliever, but either way - who cares if it works?  BTW glad your back is better!

• Like 5

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On 7/5/2017 at 8:32 PM, Owlet said:

Faith in my own potential and ability to overcome my own suffering. I believe it intellectually, but when it comes to it I have great difficulty in battling my own doubts, which in turn affects the outcome. I might seek some more guidance on this as I'm not really sure how to advance at this point. The senior member who mentioned this in passing said how some people are open to developing faith in themselves and get results quickly, whereas other people are more attached to their intellect and find it harder to counter deep-seated beliefs/doubts they've held all their life. Guess which camp I'm in haha. 

Wow. We share the same camp, Owlet. I have depended on my intelligence to guard me against pain most of my life. So, my beliefs and emotions haven't gotten much of a workout in real time. Now after 9 years of therapy and realizing why I was protecting myself so much, I have finally peeked into the world of emotional living and looking gat the beliefs that have gained power over the decades. It's not as scary as I had once thought, but hard to stay with it. Beliefs don't like change because the fear of the unknown is the biggest reason humans have faith. So, I often go jumping back to the other side of my brain when things feel overwhelming. The idea that fits best for me is: it's an ongoing process of letting faith take the driver's seat and work on letting emotions redirect my beliefs and then let the mind take over for awhile as the heart takes a breather. I hope the very best for you!

• Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

On 07/07/2017 at 10:31 PM, Vibrantella said:

It is quite common with any kind of bodywork involving the fascia.  Some would say that our fascia stores old feelings as tension, and when it's released, the feelings come back to the surface.  I myself have had crying bouts but not felt the "old feelings", so I suspect it's just a tension reliever, but either way - who cares if it works?  BTW glad your back is better!

Yeah I've heard similar things. I think part of it was that she asked a whole lot of questions before the treatment started, one of which was 'what are the dominant emotions you feel that make you suffer' to which I answered sadness and overthinking, and that yes it had always been that way. For some reason that kept upsetting me. I think there was some fear there as well - the couple of times I accidentally tensed slightly my muscles started spasm-ing which felt pretty awful. I still want to go back though because I felt so much better afterwards!

On 08/07/2017 at 7:47 AM, Bookish Badger said:

This camp sucks. There's no swimming pool and the tents smell funny. (In other words, right there with you ;) )

Tents always smell funny, that's half the charm ;) a swimming pool would be nice though...

On 08/07/2017 at 4:32 AM, Terinatum said:

Wow. We share the same camp, Owlet. I have depended on my intelligence to guard me against pain most of my life. So, my beliefs and emotions haven't gotten much of a workout in real time. Now after 9 years of therapy and realizing why I was protecting myself so much, I have finally peeked into the world of emotional living and looking gat the beliefs that have gained power over the decades. It's not as scary as I had once thought, but hard to stay with it. Beliefs don't like change because the fear of the unknown is the biggest reason humans have faith. So, I often go jumping back to the other side of my brain when things feel overwhelming. The idea that fits best for me is: it's an ongoing process of letting faith take the driver's seat and work on letting emotions redirect my beliefs and then let the mind take over for awhile as the heart takes a breather. I hope the very best for you!

Emotions are difficult eh! But also quite interesting. My recent escapades with BC and rampant hormones was extremely unpleasant but also fascinating - I was experiencing raw emotion that was almost entirely separate from what was going on externally or intellectually. Just feelings, for no apparent reason. 

I had too much fun on the weekend and now I'm sick, booo :( And judging by how my flatmate's sickness has developed, I'm in for a rough ride of sore throat, phlegm and a hacking cough that just won't quit. Wheeee. Currently at the sore eyeballs stage. But hey, I got to go on an awesome horse trek on the weekend, so that's cool. 

db60594386d33bd75953c6c2393c9b03.jpg

• Like 10
8 hours ago, Owlet said:

I got to go on an awesome horse trek on the weekend, so that's cool. 

Oooh, nice. The picture shows that it seemed like a pretty place to ride in. :)

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals