Chemgeek works it harder, better, faster, stronger

chemgeek

... I know I can't be the first person to pick that Daft Punk song as my theme for a challenge. Creativity, thy name is not chemgeek. Here we go!

Harder!

I am getting too comfortable, and not pushing myself enough. When I stop pushing myself, I start retreating back into the social recluse comfort zone I had in high school and early uni, except it wasn't actually comfortable, I was just too scared to put myself out there. Brave is a skill, and I need practice. So my goal this challenge is to do a thing that makes me nervous, anxious, or uncomfortable at least once a week. Let's get my brave on.

• This week - photo/video shoot at work (seriously hoping they don't need a voice recording of me... but if they do, I'll suck it up and deal because fuck it I'm getting my brave on this challenge so let's do this)
  • Next week - Brave the crowds to take in Canada Day celebrations and/or Animaritime! (I hate crowds)
  • Week after - Present my PD plan to my boss! (Asking for stuff?)
  • Third week of the challenge - TBD
  • Fourth week of challenge - TBD
  • Track success/failure here. 

Better!

The organization stuff has been helping, but I need to get better at it still. New additions!

• Next week: Start a database or notebook or something to audit how well I'm doing on time metrics at work. I know some are great and some are crap (and some of the crap ones are legit extenuating circumstances scenarios buuut I need data, gimme data) - **This was pushed to wk of the 4th of July because everything was apeshit at work so I had no time to think about how best to track this stuff**
  • Week after: Summer cleaning! Clean out old samples at work and clean out the place. - **Likely to be pushed to the week of the 11th because see above about work being apeshit**
  • Third week: Review audit, see if changes need making
  • Fourth week: Inventory of lab assets (one of those ongoing "Good idea" things that has yet to happen because it keeps getting bumped)
  • Stretch: Practice delegating and/or deflecting tasks that frankly aren't my problem/responsibility. I got enough stuff to do, I don't need to add on work for other people that they could do themselves. My coach recommended this for me, which has been working to some degree of success - but I need to figure out how to do this politely, without seeming unhelpful?
    • Brainstormed scripts* below:
      • You can find that on the website, under [Papers/Resources/Webinars]. 
      • What if I train you to do it, and then you can do the demo with them in the future?
      • Do we already have data on that we could use? 
      • Can you find out if they tried ____, and then come back to me? 
    • Afterthought: This might be a good thing to put as one of the weeks in the "make myself uncomfortable" goal, as well - saying 'no' (even nicely) to stuff phrased as a request that may or may not be an actual request is something I have a lot of baggage around.
  • Track success/failure in database.

Faster!

Been running home from work 3x/wk lately, want to continue. 

• Run home M/W/F 
  • Long run or trail run Su
  • Goal: 28min 5K, sub-1h 10K end of summer. These goals are actually pretty modest, as my 5K is currently around 29 min and my 10K is around 62, 63 minutes, and I can easily hit the pace both would require, I just need to build the endurance to actually maintain that pace.
  • Track success/failure in phone app or with GearFit

Stronger!

Weight lifting or bodyweight strength at least 3x/wk. Been slipping on the strength training front, need to make it hard to avoid. 

• Sunny M/W/F, drop by bodyweight outdoor gym on the way home from work
  • If rainy (unsafe), practice with free weights/chin-up bar at home. 
  • Goal: Beginner bodyweight circuit at the bodyweight training gym completed end of month, also want to be able to hold myself up on parallel bars without wobble (gonna be easier said than done, but I think I already have the strength and it's just a matter of figuring out which muscle groups need to be engaged how).
  • Track success/failure in phone app.
  • Afterthought: Strength training outside on the gym could easily go in my "make myself uncomfortable" challenge if I do it when a lot of folks are there - I'm very much a work-strength-alone type because reasons that amount to "I spent most of my childhood as the stereotypical asthmatic: Wimpy, wheezy, and a running joke as far as how bad I was at anything physical." I keep forgetting most gym folks are nowhere near as nasty as children can be to each other, but whenever I walk into a Gym Proper, I'm always tense and waiting for someone to decide I don't belong there and tear a strip off me for existing in a place where people do physical things. Yay social anxiety! */sarcasm* 

* long aside on social scripts below the cut

Spoiler

Folks really underestimate the power of social scripts. Social scripts and flow charts are how I Do People.

People tend to think I'm very people-y and fairly likeable these days which is astonishing to me cuz I was literally that kid that other kids would make fun of you for being around in grade school because I was so weird, and even in high school I had maybe one friend - I was awkward, overbearing, and more than a bit condescending (Awkward/Overbearing Me still comes out to play when I'm tired or stressed out, honestly - and I don't mean to be, it's just blunt is and always has been my native language and tact is a second language I picked up much later and still fumble with using. See also my tendency to vomit words at problems and hope that more and bigger words will make my point more clear when I'm really just muddying the metaphorical waters), as well as hyperliteral to the point of it being comical (once, someone told me gullible was written on the ceiling, so I looked up, said, "No, it isn't" and then wondered why people were laughing. I was 15. Also when asked to "ride into the side of the shed" and stop, I did just that and promptly face-planted into the wall of said shed when I was eight. And I flunked figurative language sections in English class up until I made a database of thing and what it symbolizes. I could go on.). Worse, I had a really hard time figuring out that was how I was coming off.

Social scripts and flow charts helped. A lot. I do, in fact, have a flow chart around somewhere for how to do small talk, for example. The other thing that helped is accepting that I don't have to understand why the script works, I just have to know that it does and apply it: I don't have to understand why people like to start conversations off with an aside on something inconsequential when I'd rather jump straight into the meat of the discussion, I just have to do it so I don't piss someone off by seeming too abrupt or terse. I don't have to understand why people use "are you busy?" when you very obviously are in fact busy because they're interrupting you in the middle of something as short hand for "Can I interrupt for a second?" I just have to know that they do and that answering "Yes, actually - can you come back in a bit?" is going to be seen as Very Rude if you don't apologize with it and suggest another time. 

(though I would really prefer people just be honest and ask if they can interrupt what you're doing. Cuz the "are you busy" thing took me until about three months ago to figure out... Anyway.)

If there are folks in this forum who have a hard time on the social skills front and find that they're always pissing people off and don't understand why: Captain Awkward and Real Social Skills are my go-to places. They're great resources for folks of the socially awkward variety. Cuz both treat you like you really are starting off at square one on social skills stuff and don't tend to make a lot of assumptions about what your base skill level is. 

• Like 5

Photoshoot down. Unexpected second photoshoot down. Have a webinar recording to do next week. 

Plans made for this weekend to take in Animaritime (Canada Day celebrations seem likely to get rained out). 

Failed yesterday on the run home so my partner and I went out and walked 7.2km last night (he was going to go on his walk anyway and I figured, "What the hell, I'll go even though I was up at 5 this morning I need something to wake me up and keep me from going to bed too early anyway"). 

Today's goal is to get out the door of work in time for martial arts (I missed it Tuesday because work reasons). 

Tomorrow is bodyweight strength time at the gym. 

• Like 1

I love your description of social scripts. I soooooo needed those in high school. I've learned a lot through observation or trial and error, but I still feel awkward frequently. I should take a look at those resources. Like you, I tend to take things literally, especially when I'm tired.

Congratuations on going for sandan! What do you need to do to prepare?

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Um: techniques wise, 4 weapon kata +6 empty hand (one of each pre chosen) and 2 self defense sequences. 

I would like to be in better shape physically and mentally than I have ever been but that is my perfectionism talking.

EDIT: Afterthought: I currently have 3 of the empty hand and 2 weapon kata I know I'm going to do as well as one of the self defense sequences. I do know more, but 1, I can't do anything I did for shodan or nidan, and 2, I'm not confident enough on some of the other kata to feel like I want to pick them yet. I want to pick stuff that works well with my body and build (some stuff just looks better if you're tall, and other stuff looks better if you're short. I am short and shamelessly pick my kata accordingly. I do well with the more 'showy' kata because I am short and can jump pretty well once I've trained a jump - I also do really well with the older 'fighting' kata compared with the newer-style 'training' kata, mainly because I've been told I look like I'm about to murder someone when I perform kata. I can bring out the scary, despite being smol and generally about the least physically intimidating person you'll ever meet. So the more brutal looking kata I tend to actually perform really well, whereas the more gentle, softer style kata I have a hard time with because they're supposed to be serene and I've got my murder-death-kill face on. :P 

Which never stops being funny to the other black belts in my club, as I am the second-shortest (the shortest is a tiny 17YO girl who is 4'10" and maybe 90lbs) and second-lightest (lightest being the aforementioned tiny girl) of the black belts, and in non-martial-arts space, I'm a person that stray animals run up to for attention, random tourists stop on the street to ask for directions or assistance, and lost children in stores latch on to for help because people and animals both tend to think I look nice and trustworthy (whether or not I am, others are a better judge than me - but my point is I have a face and build that makes people think I'm harmless). I am the polar opposite of intimidating outside of my gi. About the only way I could be less intimidating is if I was like the tiny 17YO in my build. And meanwhile I pick kata like Itotsu Lohai Sandan and Oyadomari Patsai (the two I've picked for empty hand), and my favorite weapons are double tonfa and kama (which have the nastiest kata in terms of bunkai). It's fun, and I agree with the other black belts that it's funny, but those are the kata I do well with. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Mistr said:

I love your description of social scripts. I soooooo needed those in high school. I've learned a lot through observation or trial and error, but I still feel awkward frequently. I should take a look at those resources. Like you, I tend to take things literally, especially when I'm tired.

Yeah. I found out about them in uni. Short version I made a few autistic friends who kept asking me if I was autistic (short answer: maybe but if so it's mild) and they showed me stuff that helped them, and lo and behold here was social skills advice that actually made sense to me and didn't assume I knew how to do things I didn't know how to do at the time!

I mean, I still have a hard time with eye contact and look at people's mouths all the time and what have you, but usually I can get through a day without pissing off anyone I didn't intend to piss off, so that's a huge improvement from Teenage Me, who would literally hover awkwardly near a store clerk sometimes for fifteen minutes or more until I was noticed because I didn't know how to interrupt someone in the middle of something without being rude and seemed to piss people off about every third interaction. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that whole hiding in the background and waiting for things is something I've experienced, noticed in others, and tried to help with afterward as I've seen it in others. It's an ongoing thing. You'll get better with time.

Also, I think you've mentioned this before, but what marital arts do you do? I seem to recall that you're a TKD guy...

No, not TKD - multiple flavors of karate (I have done shotokan, goju and shorinji-ryu, which is what I currently practice), and kobudo. I also dabble in but am no good at jiu-jitsu. 

Have also experienced but not trained seriously: aiki-jiu-jitsu, aikido, tai chi and kung fu. By which I mean I attended a few seminars or a camp.

There is no reputable aiki jiu-jitsu gym here else I would make time for that as it is a type of grappling that totally shuts down size difference with strategic application of wrist and finger locks and I had loads of fun with it on the camp I attended. Sadly the nearest reputable gym is like a 4h plane flight away.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2017 at 7:24 AM, chemgeek said:

Yeah. I found out about them in uni. Short version I made a few autistic friends who kept asking me if I was autistic (short answer: maybe but if so it's mild) and they showed me stuff that helped them, and lo and behold here was social skills advice that actually made sense to me and didn't assume I knew how to do things I didn't know how to do at the time!

I mean, I still have a hard time with eye contact and look at people's mouths all the time and what have you, but usually I can get through a day without pissing off anyone I didn't intend to piss off, so that's a huge improvement from Teenage Me, who would literally hover awkwardly near a store clerk sometimes for fifteen minutes or more until I was noticed because I didn't know how to interrupt someone in the middle of something without being rude and seemed to piss people off about every third interaction. 

Social script? What is this? I need this.

Haha. It's such a good thing I don't have a peanut allergy, because if I went to a Thai restaurant and ordered Pad Thai and specified "no peanuts" but still got them, I would probably just eat it (because gods forbid I send my food back, and it would be rude to just leave) and hope that I have an Epi Pen with me. I don't know if it's worse if you think you're annoying and you know that everyone knows it, or if you think you're not annoying but you actually are. (I may have been the latter.)

A social script is like short-hand to help you get through common social situations, thus freeing up your brain for more involved processing. Mine usually take the form of flow charts. Real Social Skills and Captain Awkward are great resources if you want to know more. 

I am not sure if your allergies thing is a joke or not - at first I took it seriously and wrote up a serious response (below the cut). Then it occurred to me it might be a joke, given the haha at the start of the sentence. If it was a joke - please ignore the thing below the spoiler cut and be aware I'm still pretty bad at picking up sarcasm and deadpan humor so if I do take jokes seriously, that's why. Plus, you can't pick up inflection or tone easily online, so yeah.

Spoiler

Yeah, food allergies are one place where I say - for my own safety - that avoiding eating poison is more important than being polite. I will not start out at full-on fit throwing, but if I disclosed my allergies and they put one or more in anyway, I will throw a fit and it will be well-deserved. That you think turnip/rutabaga and lavender are too weird to be 'real' food allergies doesn't mean you can do something that will see me trapped in the bathroom consuming nothing but oral rehydration fluid for three days (turnip/rutabaga) or possibly hospitalized with a severe asthma attack (lavender). Both of which are things I've run into before.

Likewise, if anyone is with me and I know they have a food allergy, I'm firmly in the camp of avoiding having someone with me get poisoned is more important than being polite. I have, can and will without regret or shame cause family drama by blowing up at my sister's mother-in-law for feeding my egg-allergic sprogling relative cookies made with eggs. Choice language was used, and she refuses to even be in the same room with me anymore - but she doesn't try to sneak said sprogling relative poison because "just a little bit won't hurt" (YES, yes it will and every time you sneak some to the kid, you risk a life-threatening attack because people don't get desensitized to food allergies, they just get more and more sensitive with each exposure and that you didn't have food allergies in your day doesn't mean that the kid or my sister are making it up for attention the way you think they are). Sometimes rudeness is justified. When someone is trying to sneak a vulnerable person something that is poisonous to them after having been repeatedly warned politely what the consequences could be is one of those times, IMO. Likewise, if someone can't be arsed to take appropriate cross-contamination precautions when their job is to do just that if they have an allergic client, that is one of those times. 

To be clear - I do try polite first, with multiple chances, and 99 times out of 100, it works. Just that if polite fails repeatedly and I need to get the point across, rude as an option does exist. I don't mind being seen as an asshole if it is the only way to ensure I'm not feeling like I have the Stomach Bug From Hell for the next three days straight, or I'm not rushing a child to the ER for a life-threatening allergic reaction. Frankly, I'd much rather piss someone off once than end up sick or with my relatives in hospital or dead. I ran out of patience for people who obviously have no interest in the health of their clients back when I lived in a uni dorm and the dorm cafeteria talked a good game about avoiding cross-contamination but made me constantly sick for four months straight until I started eating only off the salad bar and rice made in my dorm room microwave (see also how I lost 50# in my first year of uni). Eventually, after yet another time I was made sick off cross contamination (I have no idea how they managed to cross contaminate salad bar with turnip but this caf did not have the best hygiene practices and was actually shut down by the health department for three months at one point), I flipped my shit at the manager and it was actually effective. 

• Like 2

On the nerd side of things, for those who like anime, I just finished watching Season 1 of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - it's available on crunchy roll and is a remarkable mix of funny, action-packed and emotional without being all grimdark that I don't see very often, so it's definitely recommended if folks want something fantasy-action oriented kind of straddling the line between heavy and light. I could go on for hours about it (art is beautiful, writing is excellent, humor is genuinely funny, sad bits will likely make you cry etc), but would get into spoiler territory quickly but let's just say this one is something special and if it's not considered a classic in ten years that will be highway fucking robbery.

• Like 2

So I successfully did crowds at Animaritime. Whoo, go me. I might've brought along a set of earplugs just for noise management and used them at two points, but I went and that's what matters. Went twice in fact, so yay. Skipped Canada Day because it was raining and we wouldn't've been able to get a good view of the fireworks anyway. Then a neighbour woke me up at one in the morning night before last - and again last night - with fireworks and there was much rage but calling in a noise complaint on Canada Day weekend is frankly useless so yeah. 

Work was nuts last week and will be nuts this week so work-related goals have each been shifted back by a week because when you're in full on crisis management mode nice-to-haves fall off the priority list real quick. This week I expect to be trying to do the jobs of two people (a person is on vacation at literally the worst possible time because of Murphey's Law and so instead of their vacation landing in the slow part of a slow month I have to take on baasically two full-time job workloads for the week). I expect to be both cranky and largely absent from forum. My life this week is likely to amount to wake up, eat, work, eat, work, eat work some more, home, bed, repeat. Also, emergency ration bringing is needed, so I'm bringing enough food that if I need to stay late and have supper at work, I can. Will still be bringing my gi as well, though because on the off chance things are less nuts than I anticipate, I want to be able to take in martial arts classes. 

Since I usually underestimate the level of nuts a week will be, I am not hopeful that I'll be able to get out to martial arts... OTOH, I might just say 'fuck it' and leave in time for it regardless and if necessary stay late Wednesday/Friday as my attendance has been spotty of late and it's not the end of the world if I'm working body weight at 9 instead of 7. We'll see. 

Egh. Those kinds of work weeks are the worst. I wish you the best through it.

16 hours ago, chemgeek said:

On the nerd side of things, for those who like anime, I just finished watching Season 1 of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - it's available on crunchy roll and is a remarkable mix of funny, action-packed and emotional without being all grimdark that I don't see very often, so it's definitely recommended if folks want something fantasy-action oriented kind of straddling the line between heavy and light. I could go on for hours about it (art is beautiful, writing is excellent, humor is genuinely funny, sad bits will likely make you cry etc), but would get into spoiler territory quickly but let's just say this one is something special and if it's not considered a classic in ten years that will be highway fucking robbery.

Ooh, I remember seeing some previews of that. Good to have a rec.

If you're taking recs, My Hero Academia is pretty great. It's pretty simplistic as things go, but it executes well on those basics. Throw in characters you can feel for and some awesome animation and you've got a very pleasant time-waster on your hands. I'll throw Grimgar on the queue in the meantime. :)

• Like 1

I am seriously followingMy Hero Academia. It hits my soft spots for superheroes and adorkable main characters  (Yowamushi Pedal is great on the adorkable main character line of things if you like sports anime). A lot of both series is me watching and wondering if the main character's more awkward moments are secretly High School Me.

• Like 1

Fuck it was said. Spent 2.25 h in calisthenics, kata practice, kobudo practice and some light stretching and no regrets. :D

Mind you that the thing I could stay late for broke and I don't have the know how to fix it so I could stay late but it would make no difference. So perfect excuse to go work off some stress (.. and sweat. Cuz holy balls it was hot.) 

• Like 2

Not looking like it, given that my weekend is gonna be nonexistent. On the upside I may be able to talk the boss into getting make-up vacation days (I am on salary so overtime is not something I get). We will see how it goes. 

Had a short week this week and since Tuesday I have already logged about 30 hours at work so I will need extra time off next week to recuperate. 

Today, I am making the conscious decision to drive to work instead of walking there and running back, because between work and groceries it was after 8 when I got home and closing in on 9:30 before I ate supper yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. I need to get home early enough that I have more than two hours before I need to be in bed at least once this week! Seriously, I have had a major down time deficit thus far and I am feeling cranky, irritable, and asocial as a result (stress makes me turtle as I am naturally an introvert who puts on a decent people-person face. But no mistake - dealing with people is draining to me and if I don't have enough alone time I start getting really snapish and cranky). Also forgetful and scattered (even more than usual) so I'm sure stuff is falling through the cracks that shouldn't be. Had to restrain myself from blowing up at my partner because he needed to use the bathroom while I was getting ready (like seriously how dare you have normal bodily functions? type of ridiculous rage-factor for no good reason), and that's a big sign I need to unwind alone and invest in some book time (I literally cannot remember the last time I read something for pleasure. This is A Problem. Books are how I recharge the batteries, so it's no wonder I'm running on empty).

Summary: I am making the conscious decision to sacrifice physical fitness (running and bodyweight training) in favor of mental fitness today. I need time with a book, work craziness isn't letting me get it and the strain is showing.  I will also invest in some social time with my partner and go with him on one of his walks, as well, cuz lately I see him for supper and then I'm off to bed and that's not sustainable or fair to him, either.

• Like 2

I know this feel. Finding a balance between life and downtime that allows for the recharge is honestly really tough. But a goodly portion of solving the problem is catching it, and it sounds like you did. And it sounds like you made the right move to deal w/ it as well, which is really good.

Get recharged so you can hit it again!

On 7/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, chemgeek said:

A social script is like short-hand to help you get through common social situations, thus freeing up your brain for more involved processing. Mine usually take the form of flow charts. Real Social Skills and Captain Awkward are great resources if you want to know more. 

I am not sure if your allergies thing is a joke or not - at first I took it seriously and wrote up a serious response (below the cut). Then it occurred to me it might be a joke, given the haha at the start of the sentence. If it was a joke - please ignore the thing below the spoiler cut and be aware I'm still pretty bad at picking up sarcasm and deadpan humor so if I do take jokes seriously, that's why. Plus, you can't pick up inflection or tone easily online, so yeah.

Ah. I will be looking into these. Thank you.

Yes it was. :) I've noticed that a lot of people are on the internet, probably due to the elimination of body language and tone. I think this is why I dare to be more outgoing online, as I am on a bit more equal footing with everyone else here. (Don't get me wrong, it still gets me in trouble a lot. Haha)

On 7/4/2017 at 8:13 PM, chemgeek said:

Fuck it was said. Spent 2.25 h in calisthenics, kata practice, kobudo practice and some light stretching and no regrets. :D

Mind you that the thing I could stay late for broke and I don't have the know how to fix it so I could stay late but it would make no difference. So perfect excuse to go work off some stress (.. and sweat. Cuz holy balls it was hot.) 

Brooklyn+Nine+Nine_Ray+Holt+no+regrets.g

4 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Had to restrain myself from blowing up at my partner because he needed to use the bathroom while I was getting ready (like seriously how dare you have normal bodily functions? type of ridiculous rage-factor for no good reason)

Had the exact same thing happen the other day, though I think I was justified considering we have 2 bathrooms. But probably still an overreaction on my part nonetheless.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:53 AM, chemgeek said:

I am naturally an introvert who puts on a decent people-person face. But no mistake - dealing with people is draining to me and if I don't have enough alone time I start getting really snapish and cranky

It's amazing how many people don't understand that being an introvert doesn't mean you can't people well.  I was so drained from a stressful work week and the threat doom planned social events THIS week that I really need to de-people all day yesterday.  But mention that to people who see me at work, and they are shocked that I'm an introvert.  Give me my alone time, and interrupt it at your own damn peril...  So yesterday I had a nice solitary hike, followed by many hours of book reading and some videogame playing.  Selfcare days FTW!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 7/10/2017 at 10:42 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

It's amazing how many people don't understand that being an introvert doesn't mean you can't people well.  I was so drained from a stressful work week and the threat doom planned social events THIS week that I really need to de-people all day yesterday.  But mention that to people who see me at work, and they are shocked that I'm an introvert.  Give me my alone time, and interrupt it at your own damn peril...  So yesterday I had a nice solitary hike, followed by many hours of book reading and some videogame playing.  Selfcare days FTW!

I [gladly] pay $100 for a hot-ass storage unit at our complex where I keep my power rack and kettlebells, because even though I work at a gym, I can't lock the entire gym. (Or turn off retail radio and "Titanium" seemingly on loop.)

On 7/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, chemgeek said:

Summary: I am making the conscious decision to sacrifice physical fitness (running and bodyweight training) in favor of mental fitness today. I need time with a book, work craziness isn't letting me get it and the strain is showing.  I will also invest in some social time with my partner and go with him on one of his walks, as well, cuz lately I see him for supper and then I'm off to bed and that's not sustainable or fair to him, either.

Good call. All too often there is not enough time for everything. I'm glad you are putting your recovery needs first, followed by your relationship. I hope your boss is reasonable and gives you comp time for all the extra hours you've been putting in.

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 7/10/2017 at 11:42 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

I used to be terrible at people cuz generally speaking (and it's nothing personal to the vast majority of people out there), I would rather spend time with a book or video game than most people. My partner and the friends I invite to stuff excepted. My partner is, however, the only person who I can be around when I'm in full on need-to-recharge mode. But yeah, when you're an introvert teenager who has a lot of free time and a lot of books and a library membership you can (and I did) often go weeks without talking to another person outside school and obligatory family functions - which isn't exactly conducive to peopleing. Add in that teenager-me was generally pretty gorfy-looking both unintentionally (huge overbite, braces for the overbite, short, didn't hit puberty until 3 years after damn near everyone else in the year, etc) and intentionally (ALL the numetal haircuts and dye jobs. All of them. At one point half my head was shaved and the other half spiked and dyed purple. That was not the most ridiculous hairdo I had), plus I was a queer atheist kid in a religious conservative community. Bullying didn't exactly encourage me to put myself out there and get to know people. 

17 hours ago, Machete said:

I [gladly] pay $100 for a hot-ass storage unit at our complex where I keep my power rack and kettlebells, because even though I work at a gym, I can't lock the entire gym. (Or turn off retail radio and "Titanium" seemingly on loop.)

I've been debating clearing some of my back yard and putting in a heated shed to serve as workout space (I live in Canada. Cold is more a concern than heat most of the year). My only catch is I want to eventually work up to weights that would be downright unsafe without a spotter (SO MANY gym fails aren't so much weightlifting fails as they're gym-safety fails. FFS if you're bench pressing enough weight to crush your larynx if you drop it, get spotters. Maybe it's a side-effect of being a klutz but I always walk into something with an attitude of "how could I horribly maim myself with this? Let's not do it that way."), so a gym membership would be necessary eventually, and in light of that I'm not sure if it's worth saving up for and investing in.

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good call. All too often there is not enough time for everything. I'm glad you are putting your recovery needs first, followed by your relationship. I hope your boss is reasonable and gives you comp time for all the extra hours you've been putting in.

I'm getting Friday off. :) Since I put in about a half day each Saturday and Sunday, this is fair. Generally speaking my boss is a very reasonable dude, and I like working for him - we were just way too busy last week. :)

• Like 3