Kyellan Does Some Calibrations

Kyellan

Hey everybody =)

giphy.gif

I'm working up new themes these past few challenges. Last time was Dresden Files, and this time is another of my favorite worlds!

I'm going to be spending most of this challenge focused on gathering data to figure out how I work best. That's going to include tracking calories, hours of sleep, energy levels, and more. I need to get to know myself the way Garrus knows Normandy. So, if anyone is looking for me this challenge...

tenor.gif

Yeah. Garrus is easily the best character in all 3 Mass Effect games (what do you mean they made a fourth one? You're clearly delusional.) There are lots of great personalities aboard Normandy, but nobody can hold a candle to this guy.

So, goals.

tumblr_inline_onmesz504H1uxeuzi_500.gif

1) We're in this 'til the end. 

Track one hundred percent of food intake with MFP. There's really not a lot of room for negotiation here. Normally I'm happy if I land 80% of a goal, but 80% of data is not good. In fact, it's pretty much useless. Which means I'm going to have to swallow my embarrassment on days when I go over, and log faithfully regardless of what the number is. 

tumblr_mw5pho5PCH1qzkdnwo7_250.gif

2) After what I've been through lately, calibrating a giant gun is a vacation. Gives me something to focus on.

Yeah, things have been a little rough the past couple of months. Hopefully drilling down into numbers and spreadsheets will give my brain something to work with.

The goal is to make entries in the daily log. This also has to be 100%. The entries are quick, only about 5 columns in a spreadsheet. I am recording the hours of sleep I got the previous night, the total caloric intake for the day, a subjective rating on my energy level (Poor, Fair, Good, Great, Awesome), and any notes I think might be pertinent. At the end of each week, I am recording the total of the 7 days' calories, a 'weekly deficit' (maintenance goal minus actual intake) and stepping on the scale to figure out where I'm at.

maxresdefault.jpg

3) We can disobey suicidal orders? Why wasn't I told?

Okay, so goal 3 has to be something physical, but hard physical work outside of my kung fu has a tendency to make me ill. And sad, because it sucks to be sick. Last two times I tried it I ended up with 12-day sinus infections that kicked my ass up and down and required antibiotics to treat.

So, I'm disobeying that 'suicidal order' and I'm going to start by adding some simple chi gung exercises a few times a week. I actually know the ba duan jin (the Eight Pieces of Brocade) routine from a much earlier time in my life, so that's what I'll be starting with. Combine that with some half-hour walks at work (yay summertime) throughout the week and I should be getting some light additional activity without hurting myself. 

Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm so physically limited. Some people seem to be able to do ridiculous amounts of training and be fine. I apparently just don't have that ability, or maybe it's just a baseline of fitness I haven't reached yet. 

Regardless, all I can do is all I can do, so I'll do what I can. :D 

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

It's all good, man. :) Nobody has to know your numbers but you. And like you said, an incomplete dataset isn't useful to you at all. You need to see things as they are, rather than hiding them from yourself.

Are there other things related to martial arts that you could explore as far as more movement is concerned?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Yeah. Garrus is easily the best character in all 3 Mass Effect games (what do you mean they made a fourth one? You're clearly delusional.) There are lots of great personalities aboard Normandy, but nobody can hold a candle to this guy.

Here for the Garrus <3!     My only regret in my Mass Effect life, is that I never romanced this incredible Turian.    Something I must someday remedy.

I dig the goals, and how you're going about them!   

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

It's all good, man. :) Nobody has to know your numbers but you. And like you said, an incomplete dataset isn't useful to you at all. You need to see things as they are, rather than hiding them from yourself.

Are there other things related to martial arts that you could explore as far as more movement is concerned?

Yeah, exactly :) Fudging numbers (mmm, fudge) is only going to hurt me in the long run, so might as well see the reality, even if it ain't pretty sometimes.

I'm considering adding some Chi Gung, actually. Haven't quite decided yet, but some basic morning Chi Gung exercises could be a good tangential benefit to my martial art, without the intensity that causes my stress levels to go up and illness to set in. Haven't quite settled on that yet, but it's not a bad idea.

11 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Here for the Garrus <3!     My only regret in my Mass Effect life, is that I never romanced this incredible Turian.    Something I must someday remedy.

I dig the goals, and how you're going about them!   

Glad you're here! :D 

The character I ran through all 3 ME games (I re-started after ME2 and played a new Shepard from the beginning) was a Femshep, but I pretty much avoided the romance options altogether on that playthrough, focused on the sci-fi.

Even with that, Femshep and Garrus had the most awesome... well, bromance, I guess, even though Femshep was a she. It was awesome, because they were like best friends, even though she was a total xenophobic Renegade hard-ass. He was pretty much the first alien to ever earn her respect as a soldier and a friend. It was weird, but fun, to watch that relationship grow over three full games. 

• Like 3

Challenges

8 hours ago, Kyellan said:

The character I ran through all 3 ME games (I re-started after ME2 and played a new Shepard from the beginning) was a Femshep, but I pretty much avoided the romance options altogether on that playthrough, focused on the sci-fi.

Even with that, Femshep and Garrus had the most awesome... well, bromance, I guess, even though Femshep was a she. It was awesome, because they were like best friends, even though she was a total xenophobic Renegade hard-ass. He was pretty much the first alien to ever earn her respect as a soldier and a friend. It was weird, but fun, to watch that relationship grow over three full games. 

Hah, that's awesome.

Gotta say, playing Andromeda now, and Vetra is ALWAYS in my party.    The only downside to Bioware giving us such a great cast of amazing females in this game... is that I can't get find a decent DUDE for my chick to romance.    Ahhhh, darn you Bioware!  Darn you!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Like it. =)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Added goal #3. Light additional physical activity: chi gung and half-hour walks. 

Also: guys! My sister gave me an early birthday present yesterday. She hand-made me a wooden DM screen. It is AWESOME. She made the frame from tigerwood, the same kind I used to make my Kung Fu staff. It's heavy, fully magnetic (the art panels in front are magnetic and pop out, and the back of the screen is also magnetic so that I can easily pin up and change out rulesets for different games).

It's BEAUTIFUL.

DM Screen 1-sm.jpg

• Like 4

Challenges

Jesus Christ, why the hell are we such twins.  Seriously.

*shakes head*

tumblr_inline_ns8anvWVU91qcgef3_500.gif

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

So far during these practice weeks, the tracking is going well. I'm being honest about my food intake and managing to keep it around the -250 target I've set in MFP, mostly. It's still a learning process, figuring out what lands me where I want to be and what pushes me over. It's kind of frustrating in some ways, because not only is calorie counting nowhere near an exact science, but things tend to be made in such ways that hitting a specific target is much more difficult than it should be.

I also must remember that hitting an exact target here is not really that critical, but that's difficult. I like things to be precise... estimates annoy me =) 

One thing I have definitely seen a trend on, though, is sleep correlating to energy level. Less than 7 hours of sleep and I feel like a zombie. 7-8 and I'm okay. 8+ is where I feel the best, but going over about 8.5 doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I've managed to steal a couple nights of 9 hours of rest, and those feel about the same as 8 the next day.

I think I'm pretty well prepared for this challenge. Should yield some interesting insights, I hope!

tumblr_n8wzl3kCfy1qabb6xo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Challenges

So! The first official day of the challenge has arrived. I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, the tracking is off to a really good start. I've managed to keep up with it every day, and I foresee no problems continuing to do so. I've also managed to sneak in some additional activity, and I've discovered as well that on days when I'm not planning a heavy workout, I can cut a little harder without any adverse effects.

Bad news: on Friday we did the push-hands drill in class, and I re-upped the biking injury from May. I thought it was fully healed, but apparently my movements during that drill (and they are rather knee-heavy) were enough to tear it a little again. Not as much, but I'm sporting a new bruise beside my kneecap and it feels weak again. Sigh.

Back to injury recovery for me, apparently.

Challenges

On 7/5/2017 at 9:51 AM, Kyellan said:

So far during these practice weeks, the tracking is going well. I'm being honest about my food intake and managing to keep it around the -250 target I've set in MFP, mostly. It's still a learning process, figuring out what lands me where I want to be and what pushes me over. It's kind of frustrating in some ways, because not only is calorie counting nowhere near an exact science, but things tend to be made in such ways that hitting a specific target is much more difficult than it should be.

I also must remember that hitting an exact target here is not really that critical, but that's difficult. I like things to be precise... estimates annoy me =) 

One thing I have definitely seen a trend on, though, is sleep correlating to energy level. Less than 7 hours of sleep and I feel like a zombie. 7-8 and I'm okay. 8+ is where I feel the best, but going over about 8.5 doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I've managed to steal a couple nights of 9 hours of rest, and those feel about the same as 8 the next day.

I think I'm pretty well prepared for this challenge. Should yield some interesting insights, I hope!

tumblr_n8wzl3kCfy1qabb6xo1_500.gif

I'm really glad to hear the food and the sleep tracking are going well!  On the list of things you know, sleep and hunger are tied together, so maybe if you get more sleep, it might be easier to help meet those diet goals.  

Dude Estimates suck.  Having any level of precision when it comes to calorie counting is commendable.

I AM HERE FOR ALL THE INSIGHTS.  can't wait to find out what you learn!!

3 hours ago, Kyellan said:

So! The first official day of the challenge has arrived. I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, the tracking is off to a really good start. I've managed to keep up with it every day, and I foresee no problems continuing to do so. I've also managed to sneak in some additional activity, and I've discovered as well that on days when I'm not planning a heavy workout, I can cut a little harder without any adverse effects.

Bad news: on Friday we did the push-hands drill in class, and I re-upped the biking injury from May. I thought it was fully healed, but apparently my movements during that drill (and they are rather knee-heavy) were enough to tear it a little again. Not as much, but I'm sporting a new bruise beside my kneecap and it feels weak again. Sigh.

Back to injury recovery for me, apparently.

Yay for sneaking in additional activity and getting yourself out!!  Nice!

Also boooo re-injuries.  Booooo knee stabilizers.  boo.  But hey, you're recognizing your injuries and addressing them appropriately.  Do you have a plan for maintaining exercise while doing the recovery?

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Geh. Injuries are tricky like that. I suspect that they tend to just lay low and wait for you to feel comfy again.

But that's the way of it now. Adapt, improvise, overcome. At least you caught it, at least you know what it is, and you know what to do about it. You'll be okay.

• Like 1

Ugh.  Stupid injuries.    Re-calibrate a bit Garrus.   You got this.

Do what you can around it for a bit and let it heal up.    Awesome news on the tracking!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Checking in here.

Last week's numbers were good. My deficit was solid with plenty of wiggle-room, and my weigh-in was down 0.8 lbs, which tracks surprisingly well to what my deficit would have expected. Of course, this is well within the range of margin of error, so I'm taking nothing at face-value right now. :D A slight change in water retention could have easily produced the same result.

Collecting this data may have been one of my brighter ideas in recent history. It's really making me focus in on what I'm eating, forcing me to pay close attention to how I'm handling stress, getting sick, and other times when I would normally just eat everything in sight. Used to be that if I thought I was going to go over my calorie range, I'd just stop logging in MFP so as not to be judged by the scary red numbers. Now I need it for accurate reporting later, which means that I'm working harder to stay under, and dutifully recording the overs so that my later charts and graphs and stuff will actually be real numbers, instead of fakey pretending.

To add to the bandwagon of suckage, though: this morning, in a darkened bedroom, a man stepped over a stationary bike to find a shirt. The injury in his right knee twinged, making him stumble, and either badly bruise or break two of his left toes on that same stationary bike's steel supports.

Now I've got a limp on both sides. At least it's evened out? <_<

Challenges

Ugh, that bites. :( At least hung gar is standing style rather than a walking style? But yeah, hope you don't have to do a lot of kicking or anything like that. Kicking w/ bum feet sucks.

OTOH, glad to hear that the experiment is going well and forcing you to be honest as opposed to hiding from the numbers. It can suck somewhat, but it's better to be honest w/ yourself than to hide from it because the numbers don't tell you what you want.

Remember - to a certain extent, they reflect you. That means you can control them w/ your actions.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the toes are just bruised... I don't think they actually snapped. Sad to say I've been down that road before, and so I'm actually kind of familiar with what that feels like. The pain is already mostly gone today, and that would absolutely not be the case if I'd actually busted them. My balance is still a little off, but on the whole that part should be okay in a day or two.

Went to lightsaber last night and was definitely unsteady in my stances, thanks to the knee and the foot, but at least I was able to do it. I'm going to have to take it really easy for a week or two, and then make sure to be much more careful in the following 4-6 months. I'd like this thing to heal and not come back again, which means I need to be much more vigilant about it. Thankfully I already have the compression sleeves, which are a life-saver. I'm basically going to be wearing one every day for the foreseeable future, which is fine. 

I am being reminded again about time, patience and will. It's probably a good thing, given that I have some existential issues hanging over my head. I have a whole life left ahead of me, a few weeks of rest and a few months of recovery will make little impact in the long run.

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Ugh, that bites. :( At least hung gar is standing style rather than a walking style? But yeah, hope you don't have to do a lot of kicking or anything like that. Kicking w/ bum feet sucks.

OTOH, glad to hear that the experiment is going well and forcing you to be honest as opposed to hiding from the numbers. It can suck somewhat, but it's better to be honest w/ yourself than to hide from it because the numbers don't tell you what you want.

Remember - to a certain extent, they reflect you. That means you can control them w/ your actions.

Standing, yes, but standing in deep, low stances. Moving between them. Requiring balance from high (crane) to low (tiger). That kind of sucks with bum feet too. :D It's okay, I'll survive. 

And yeah, the numeric honesty is helping a lot here. Not least in the way you mention: reminding me that it really is within my control, even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Again: time, patience, and will. =)

• Like 2

Challenges

1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

I am being reminded again about time, patience and will. It's probably a good thing, given that I have some existential issues hanging over my head. I have a whole life left ahead of me, a few weeks of rest and a few months of recovery will make little impact in the long run.

Alternately, they will make a big impact if you don't take them. So take them and save yourself some grief. That's what I'm having to do now with my issues.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, Kyellan said:

Went to lightsaber last night

Way to make me super jealous.    Where do find an actual class to attend???  I sooo waannt!

On 7/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, Kyellan said:

On 7/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, Kishi said:

Alternately, they will make a big impact if you don't take them. So take them and save yourself some grief. That's what I'm having to do now with my issues.

Kishi is wise.

Listen to Kishi.

But yeah, that mentality is hard to really lock down.    I always worry so much about what I am losing now, that I sometimes push through and risk the forever.  

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Starpuck said:

Way to make me super jealous.    Where do find an actual class to attend???  I sooo waannt!

Kishi is wise.

Listen to Kishi.

But yeah, that mentality is hard to really lock down.    I always worry so much about what I am losing now, that I sometimes push through and risk the forever.  

Hah--it's actually my Kung Fu Sifu! He wanted to teach a sword technique class that was going to start right around the time I joined the school. He'd gotten the idea after seeing an Ultrasaber in the wild. I've been taking it for only a couple months short of my actual time in Kung Fu. It's a fantastic combination of katana, Chinese sword, and classical fencing. 

Here's a video from two years ago. You can imagine how much we've improved since then. :D 

And yes, I have learned to listen to Kishi. He is indeed wise. :) 

Good news: the bruise is already mostly faded, which means the tear is not nearly as bad as last time. First time it took almost two weeks to go away completely, and I had rings of various color shades across my knee for the entire time. So, I'm [probably] not all the way back to square one. Maybe square three or four. Still going to be keeping it wrapped and staying light for the foreseeable future though.

• Like 1

Challenges

Good call being conservative with repeat injuries.  They can heal fast, but take some time to really get back to 100%, and training hard on a joint that's only 75% is not good times for long.

Still.  The call of the lightsaber, though.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Ok those duels are amazing.  :) So fun!     I'd love to see a current one!

Hopeful news on the bruise fade too!  Good good!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Time for a check-in. I really appreciate everyone's continued support on this process as I work to heal injuries and figure myself out!

I'm up to 4 full weeks of data! It's amazing how quickly the time goes by, isn't it?

I have been faithfully recording my data each day and each week. I have been the most honest with MFP that I think I've ever been, and it's opened my eyes quite a bit. I can see the mistakes I've made, the weaknesses in my previous plans and understandings, where my strengths lie, and my best avenues for improvement. 

Lessons learned so far:

1) Trust the deficit. I'm still aiming to land somewhere within about 250 calories of a 250 deficit. On most days, this puts me somewhere between -250 and -500 from maintenance. On some days I land closer to maintenance, which is okay as well. This consistency has caused my weight to decrease over these four weeks from 209 to 205, even despite my markedly-decreased activity thanks to the re-injury. I'm actually pretty impressed with this, and I have not been in any kind of discomfort. I have not really changed my diet, merely moderated my amount of intake and tracked it closely. On highly-active days I take in a little more, on resting days I take in a little less. This is so far a significant win.

2) Self-honesty pays off. I hate the term 'sabotaging myself', but let's face it: that's what I was doing. By turning a blind eye out of my own embarrassment and shame because of my own issues, I allowed myself to be out of control in times when I should have been in control. Confronting these issues head-on has not been easy, but it has definitely been worth it.

3) Don't push the injuryI had a couple of things that needed to be done this weekend, but I was able to do them without further injuring myself, by being cognizant and aware of everything. I'm keeping the knee sleeve on pretty much all the time when I'm out of the house or active at all right now, and it seems to be helping. I am going to try to get back to Kung Fu tonight and get a little activity in, but it's going to be taking things easy for sure.

I turn 32 this week. Not quite sure how I feel about that yet, but I think it'll be okay. =)

• Like 3

Challenges

1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

Time for a check-in. I really appreciate everyone's continued support on this process as I work to heal injuries and figure myself out!

I'm up to 4 full weeks of data! It's amazing how quickly the time goes by, isn't it?

I have been faithfully recording my data each day and each week. I have been the most honest with MFP that I think I've ever been, and it's opened my eyes quite a bit. I can see the mistakes I've made, the weaknesses in my previous plans and understandings, where my strengths lie, and my best avenues for improvement. 

Lessons learned so far:

1) Trust the deficit. I'm still aiming to land somewhere within about 250 calories of a 250 deficit. On most days, this puts me somewhere between -250 and -500 from maintenance. On some days I land closer to maintenance, which is okay as well. This consistency has caused my weight to decrease over these four weeks from 209 to 205, even despite my markedly-decreased activity thanks to the re-injury. I'm actually pretty impressed with this, and I have not been in any kind of discomfort. I have not really changed my diet, merely moderated my amount of intake and tracked it closely. On highly-active days I take in a little more, on resting days I take in a little less. This is so far a significant win.

2) Self-honesty pays off. I hate the term 'sabotaging myself', but let's face it: that's what I was doing. By turning a blind eye out of my own embarrassment and shame because of my own issues, I allowed myself to be out of control in times when I should have been in control. Confronting these issues head-on has not been easy, but it has definitely been worth it.

3) Don't push the injuryI had a couple of things that needed to be done this weekend, but I was able to do them without further injuring myself, by being cognizant and aware of everything. I'm keeping the knee sleeve on pretty much all the time when I'm out of the house or active at all right now, and it seems to be helping. I am going to try to get back to Kung Fu tonight and get a little activity in, but it's going to be taking things easy for sure.

I turn 32 this week. Not quite sure how I feel about that yet, but I think it'll be okay. =)

Man oh man.   I feel like your first two points could have been pages stolen out of my own journal!    (If I kept up with it.)     I am so glad to hear that the deficit you are aiming for is working so well.  That is the exact plan I was aiming for this go around (but slipped on my tracking) and it is super encouraging to see your success with it!    I'd be SO happy with a pound a week right now haha.

And yeah, the #2.   When I stop and really think about it, I see that I've been fibbing, A LOT, over the past few years at this.    I need to be more honest.   Thank you for sharing this journey Kyellan!   It's helping me!

Don't worry about the number.   Do what I do!  Pick one and just stick with it!   During my thirties, I picked 26 as my number.  Now I'm more of a 32. ;)

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler