Kyellan Does Some Calibrations

40 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Thank you for sharing this journey Kyellan!   It's helping me!

I'm really glad it's helping! :D It is sometimes really hard to realize just how much I lie to myself on a daily basis. It's so casual, so simple, so ingrained that it's almost just part of existence. Hard reality sucks!

33-34 is going to be the tough year for me, for my own issues. Long story short, my dad died in a car accident when he was 33. I've spent my whole life just kind of staring at a black void of existence past that mark. I don't know what it's supposed to be like. So, year 34 (ending with my 34th birthday) is going to be... well, honestly, it's going to be fucking weird. 

It'll be okay. I'll try not to have a total meltdown/crisis/etc. :P 

56 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

But you'll still be OLD! OLD OLD OLD! SUCH ANCIENT! VERY GNARL! HILLS WILL BE YOUNGER THAN YOU! wow

But yeah, man, glad to see you figure out that there's not a magic number so much as there's a spectrum of possible numbers that might work as far as eating goes. And it really is the most important part, as far as managing your weight and avoiding the associated negative health outcomes.

And good to see you're learning to deal honestly with yourself. That's good. That inability to be honest w/ oneself has been something that caused me grief in the past too, so I'm really glad that you're learning your way around that now.

• Like 2

Haha, yes so old. OLD BUT AWESOME!!

a589716e14a74d534176b894bdb9148b014b35b7

But, as my wife said this morning: "just be glad you're no longer 22" and if that ain't the truth, I don't know what is! :D 

A weird observation came to me last night: time was, not too long ago, that I absolutely 100% had to skip breakfast if I wanted to come anywhere near my calorie goals for the day. Now I pretty much absolutely 100% need to eat something to even come in at the low end of my calorie goals. My portion sizes have decreased so much over the past 18 months that I'm actually eating like a normal person, instead of shoveling in all the food all the time. 

I'm also very excited because I am very, very, VERY close to the end of Gung Gee Fuk Fu. There's like maybe 20 techniques left. Plus, the last two that we got are actually pretty amazing and I can see their application very clearly. 

Once I finish the form, I intend to video myself going through the whole thing as sort of a baseline "okay, you've memorized it". Then I can look at the video to try and critique myself the same way that I can critique others by actually seeing my mistakes from the outside, and maybe start really refining it. The technique in this form is good for me, physically. It just flows, unlike my sword form, which I still struggle with because of the high kicks and such.

The knee is getting better. Still ain't great, but getting better. Progress!

• Like 3

Video just helps. It gives you objective evidence of what you're doing right and wrong. Just remember what you're learning about being honest w/ yourself and don't flinch from it when the time comes.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you've got a month of data to work with!! Sounds like you found some good patterns and that you've made lots of progress by observing what you do.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:53 AM, Kyellan said:

33-34 is going to be the tough year for me, for my own issues. Long story short, my dad died in a car accident when he was 33. I've spent my whole life just kind of staring at a black void of existence past that mark. I don't know what it's supposed to be like. So, year 34 (ending with my 34th birthday) is going to be... well, honestly, it's going to be fucking weird. 

Dude that is one hell of a thing to deal with.  I can't even imagine what that's gotta feel like.  You've got every right to have a meltdown.  Fight the void!  Adventure into life beyond the void!  Thrilling moments of couch sitting and food logging!

I dunno dude I think you got this.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, Kyellan said:

Once I finish the form, I intend to video myself going through the whole thing as sort of a baseline "okay, you've memorized it". Then I can look at the video to try and critique myself the same way that I can critique others by actually seeing my mistakes from the outside, and maybe start really refining it. The technique in this form is good for me, physically. It just flows, unlike my sword form, which I still struggle with because of the high kicks and such.

The knee is getting better. Still ain't great, but getting better. Progress!

Congrats!  The video is a great idea.  I wonder if you'll see any patterns in how you move in general.  They recommend this a lot in music school too (cause I presume it works). 

Go knee!  do the heals!

• Like 1

I really had a pretty great birthday weekend. Thursday, the actual day, I spent with my sister (and surprise! also my sister-in-law, my brother, and my 9-month old niece) at Funspot, also known as the largest arcade in the world. I happen to live less than 45 minutes away from it. Yeah, that's a thing. Anyway, we spent the day dumping quarters into coin slots, earning tickets, playing arcade games old and new (The Simpsons beat-em-up, TMNT, Gauntlet II, AMC's Walking Dead rail-shooter, etc). My brother treated us all to lunch afterward, and then I played D&D in the evening. Pretty much as nerdy as it gets. Win!

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet. I made my favorite chocolate cake on Saturday and spent a quiet day with my wife. We watched Rogue One (finally on Netflix!), which was about 4 stars of a movie in my opinion. Not perfect, but overall pretty decent. K-2SO is worth a star all on his own. Alan Tudyk is the freakin' man. I was impressed with how it felt like a Star Wars story, but definitely very different from the main-sequence films. Worth watching, for sure. 

Yesterday I did some outside work in preparation for the sudden chill and rain that's going to be hanging around for the next few days, and worked a bunch on my current programming project. I'm following along as the Reddit Roguelikedev community goes through the tutorial I've been through a couple times. I'm doing something very different this time, and it's fun to see how it's coming along. Instead of being turn-based, I've got a real-time semi-action game forming out of this, where different weapon types do different attacks. There's a gif in the github repository that shows how it works right now. A sword attacks a single square, an axe attacks three consecutive squares, and the bow shoots at range. I'm still working on the polish of it, and there's going to be some balancing work required before it's a real game, but the idea right now works pretty well. :D 

On the challenge front, all is going well. The data tracking is still 100%. Today's weigh-in didn't change as much as I expected, but I ended up feeling pretty dehydrated yesterday no matter how much water I took in, so that could have affected it. Still, the longer-term remains on track and I now have five weeks of accurate data. I'm thinking by the time I go to the doctor for my yearly checkup next month, I should be in a good way.

Injury rehab continues to be a thing. Some days are better than others. Hopefully another week or so and I'll be back to 90%.

• Like 2

I got to spend a part of my weekend doing the exact same thing, and man it was a blast. So it sounds like your birthday was pretty friggin' sweet! Awesome!

It's cool to see the programming coming along, although I have to admit I don't understand it all that well. Are you thinking about maybe adapting the novels to that medium at some point?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Thursday, the actual day, I spent with my sister (and surprise! also my sister-in-law, my brother, and my 9-month old niece) at Funspot, also known as the largest arcade in the world. I happen to live less than 45 minutes away from it.

So what you are saying is you live relatively close to Nerd Mecca and didn't share.

Shame on you.  Plan a Nerd meet up there.  Immediately.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

I got to spend a part of my weekend doing the exact same thing, and man it was a blast. So it sounds like your birthday was pretty friggin' sweet! Awesome!

It's cool to see the programming coming along, although I have to admit I don't understand it all that well. Are you thinking about maybe adapting the novels to that medium at some point?

Yup, pretty sweet indeed!

I don't really plan to adapt my writing work to game form. If I did, it would have to be an awesome 3rd-person action/RPG game with, like, real graphics and such, and I don't see that happening as I have neither the time nor the artistic inclination to work on a project like that. This rogue-like thing is purely a mental exercise, inspired by my nostalgia for really old ASCII dungeon games that were part of the early fuel for my lifelong affection for the fantasy genre. =) It's simple and it's engaging my brain in all kinds of fascinating ways, and that's plenty for me. If I manage to actually turn this thing into a playable game it will be a miracle, and I really have no expectations of that. It's just a fun (and inexpensive) way to pass the time.

The last time I ran through this tutorial was a much more traditional 'turn-based' roguelike. Basically, things only happened when the player pressed a button, and then everything does its thing after that. This time, instead, it's a little more 'twitchy'. Basically, you control the hero's movement with WASD and directional attacks with the numpad. The monsters move on their own, relentlessly closing in for the kill, unless you strategically 'dance' around them and attack with the various prototype weapons.

So now instead of playing like Rogue, it plays a little more like Secret of Mana/Evermore, if you will. It's not nearly as pretty, since I'm using square tiles and so forth, but that's the basic idea. 

My eventual goal, and we'll see if I make it there, is to actually make this a two-player networked co-op game, where the survival of both heroes is intrinsic to each one. Basically, if either one dies, game over, start over. Much like Rogue in that respect, but playing a little more like an old-school action/RPG, in which you have to count on each other to hold the light (thus the torch you see on the floor in the gif) and defend against monster assaults from all sides as you progress.

Again, it's a lot of work to get something like that to happen, but with relatively simple game mechanics I may be able to actually get a playable prototype with a year's worth of work or so.

59 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

So what you are saying is you live relatively close to Nerd Mecca and didn't share.

Shame on you.  Plan a Nerd meet up there.  Immediately.

Wow, this is such an obvious idea that never occurred to me. Yeah, we should totally plan a Funspot nerd day. I wonder who we could get to join us?

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Wow, this is such an obvious idea that never occurred to me. Yeah, we should totally plan a Funspot nerd day. I wonder who we could get to join us?

Probably not me.  Apparently I'm a secret hermit when it comes to Nerds these days. >.> <.< 

Unless I decide to go all in and throw, I dunno, like a 50 person gathering.  Yup.  Dem was the days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Unless I decide to go all in and throw, I dunno, like a 50 person gathering.  Yup.  Dem was the days.

Yup! I remember being there for one. You and me and Tinman and like a whole host of other Nerds. What a time that was. :D

• Like 2

It's getting late in the week here, and I'd just like to say that despite being rather busy, I am staying strong on my goals for this challenge.

I made an enormous (well, I guess it was really kind of regular-sized, just rather large for only two people) decadent chocolate cake with peanut butter Cool Whip frosting for my birthday last weekend. My wife and I have been polishing it off slowly, piece by piece, and I'm still hitting my calorie goals. I used MFP to calculate how much that cake was going to cost me each day, and I have successfully accounted for it with only one or two exceptions.

My data logging is still 100%, and watching that spreadsheet grow is surprisingly satisfying. I'm seeing trends and getting real information out of it now. Plus, for five weeks in a row my weight has decreased. I'm pretty sure I actually noticed a visible change in the mirror this morning too, although I couldn't quite put my finger on what it is. 

My activity boost has not been as strong as possible thanks to the injured knee. I'm still struggling with that... seems like it's being harder and slower to heal than the original tear was, which is really frustrating. That could be my imagination though, since the original injury is 60 days past by now, and it's hard to remember timelines clearly that far back. Still, I'm doing what I can, and basically using my Kung Fu as physical therapy. 

So far, so good. We march forward.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

I made an enormous (well, I guess it was really kind of regular-sized, just rather large for only two people) decadent chocolate cake with peanut butter Cool Whip frosting for my birthday last weekend.

Uh.  And there is no picture and/or recipe for this amazingness because....?

Reminds me of a couple years ago when Company was visiting during my birthday, and she made me a GIANT peanutbutter cup cake.  Not healthy at all, but it was Primal friendly.  Seriously.  dates and cocoa powder for the crust.  Green yogurt and peanut butter for the filling (oh, there may have had to be some confectioners sugar in this, now that I'm thinking about it).  And the top was coconut oil, cocoa powder, and some maple syrup for sweetening.

So.  Damn.  Good.

• Like 2

No pics, but this is the recipe: https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/334048070/best-chocolate-cake/

Totally not paleo/primal friendly, but amazing. This is actually not the first year I've made it.

The key ingredients (ha) to this recipe are twofold: one is a teaspoon of espresso powder in the cake mix. The second is 1 cup of boiling water stirred in just before you transfer the batter to the cake pans. Whipping the batter with the boiling water adds so much air that it makes the whole thing heavenly light and fluffy.

The frosting is two simple ingredients: one tablespoon of your favorite peanut butter mixed with a tub of Cool Whip. That's it.

Still my favorite cake of all time!

• Like 2

Last week of the challenge, so let's finish strong, people!

My deficit says that I should be losing about 1/2 lb per week, but the last three weigh-ins have all been about the same. However, I'm not sure I can trust today's... Saturday was a weird day because we went to visit friends in Worcester for pretty much the whole day, and I ended up eating weird salty restaurant food at weird times and got WAY dehydrated, so it's entirely possible that yesterday wasn't enough to get back on track. 

Still, my data tracking is good and I'm pretty sure about 90% accurate, which means that progress should continue despite weird days now and then. Even if I'm off by 20% it still should trend in the right direction long-term, so that's good enough. It might take longer, but I'm also down inside the last ~20lb or so, which is likely to require either more aggressive burning or more aggressive cutting.

I believe I may have re-entered the injury danger zone regarding my knee, where the primary healing is done but the area is still weak. The day-to-day pain is pretty much gone, which means that it would be easy to do something stupid and hurt it again. I must stay vigilant and allow it to fully heal this time. Which, for my Kung Fu, means light sparring and probably no push hands for the next few months (it's rough on the knees particularly). I'm not sure when the next tournament is coming up... we'll have to see whether I get to go and do limited stuff, like last time, or whether I should just skip it entirely.

I plan to continue data recording for the foreseeable future... there's really no reason not to, and lots of reasons in the 'pro' category. It's good to be mindful, and it really doesn't take much time. Besides, a full year's worth of this data, including winter and holidays and all that kind of stuff, could be invaluable for self-understanding pretty much forever.

I got more birthday presents yesterday--one of our fellow Rebels sent me a care package from Germany, including a YA series of novels and the Core Rulebook for "The Dark Eye" (also known as Das Schwarze Auge), the premier pen-and-paper RPG in Germany. (The novels are in German, the RPG book is in English. I can read German pretty well, but technical RPG terminology would be tricky!) I'd been after that rulebook for a while, and now I have a new RPG system to study! :D Very exciting.

Most of my limited hobby time is currently consumed with working on the Roguelike dev-along project. I've actually come up with some pretty cool stuff, if I do say so myself. Check out these gifs! Lightning bolts and fireballs, oh my!

• Like 1
On 7/28/2017 at 8:49 AM, Kyellan said:

I made an enormous (well, I guess it was really kind of regular-sized, just rather large for only two people) decadent chocolate cake with peanut butter Cool Whip frosting for my birthday last weekend. My wife and I have been polishing it off slowly, piece by piece, and I'm still hitting my calorie goals. I used MFP to calculate how much that cake was going to cost me each day, and I have successfully accounted for it with only one or two exceptions.

That sounds amazing, and holy crap what awesome focus and commitment!   I love that you built it into MFP and stuck to it.  There's something awesome about having your yummy guilt free and knowing you're hitting your numbers, right?

17 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

I must stay vigilant and allow it to fully heal this time. Which, for my Kung Fu, means light sparring and probably no push hands for the next few months (it's rough on the knees particularly). I'm not sure when the next tournament is coming up... we'll have to see whether I get to go and do limited stuff, like last time, or whether I should just skip it entirely.

Wisdom is the key to awes-zen-ness.  Or something like that.  This is smart.    Keep being smart! :)

• Like 1

Batman66-5.jpg

Holy epic redesign, Batman!

Gotta say, the new forum look is pretty nice so far! :D Familiar, with some subtle improvements.

Last week ended up being a little nutty, so I didn't do much checking in. Rest assured that I did not fall off my trundling wagon, despite catching a nasty cold that took me down for three days AND ALSO adopting a dog from a rescue on Friday. As always, being sick required a higher caloric intake (I'm really not sure why that is, just that it's a fact of life) and somehow, despite last week basically ending up at maintenance calorie levels, I still dropped 0.8 lbs from last week's weigh-in. 

Some few of you who are also my Facebook friends already know this, but we added a dog to the family late last week. His new name for his new life is Taliesin (tal-YES-in), as in 'Shining Brow', the Bard, etc.

taliesin.jpg.e27d1be03c147e90af8619bbb92a6abd.jpg

Things are pretty good, if a little hectic right now as we go through the adjustment phase. He's got a couple of excitability issues and some psychological wounds that speak to an unpleasant past, so it's going to take a little time, but it'll all be okay. Mostly he is a 115-lb bag of cuddles and gentle steadfastness, and exactly what we've been searching for.

As with everything else, I soldier on. Work is a bit crazy, which is very distracting and taking away much of my thinking and quiet time. I'm used to having a few hours at least each day where things are quiet and I can reflect, and I haven't been getting that lately, which is making me feel rather harried.

I am currently reading Book 5 of The Expanse. These books are excellent sci-fi. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

I had no input at all in the new design of the site, but somehow I am pleased that you like it. :D

Anyway, that's so cool that you adopted a dog, and I'm glad to see that things are going well. I feel you on the loss of quiet time; it's something I've had to give up as well, and I didn't necessarily choose to do it. We'll find our way back to balance at some point, I'm sure.

• Like 1