[Hymnusal] - Balancing Undeath

Hymnusal

I bombed most of the items last challenge, and I still think I could have done better on the one thing I passed. I sunk into a nasty sorrow during the challenge, and I still feel mostly just overwhelmed and unorganised. Like I can't pull anything together. I'm starting to see more brain fog, mental chatter, and depression - destroying these was one of my main goals so I know I'm not winning there. Science says this is probably from sugar consumption, and last challenge in spite of good meal choices I still ate a lot of sugar.

I need to rely on everyone here to keep me accountable and Hymnusal can get help from her guild mates too! Hopefully I don't overwhelm everyone with food pictures this time around... 

Strength and Stretching with Fanzagale (my Monk toon)
Return goal. Continue the BBWW 3 times a week, do one longer yoga session a week. - 75% in both categories needed for a Pass

A rainbow of vegetation with Aquaineil (my Druid toon)
Return goal. Follow the "Foodist Plate" suggestion with 1/2 of lunch and supper being vegetables 5 days a week. Photograph all food eaten and post on NF challenge thread.

Obliterate Sugar with Zoeshen (my Demon Hunter toon)
This one is going to hurt. One treat permitted a week. Otherwise: no sweetened chocolate, no cookies, no cake, no pie, no ice cream, etc. Use peppermint tea and ginger peach tea as blockers if it is just craving. Keep chewing gum on hand if it is for fidgeting. Use green tea and black teas for caffeine needs. Other suggestions of craving busters welcome! 75% streak needed to pass.

Tidy spaces with Bellabarque (my Mage toon)
I get overwhelmed by all of my stuff sometimes and it is worse when it is everywhere. I need to devote time at least once a week to cleaning up the spaces around me to help keep my head clear. 75% needed to pass.

Bonus: Mind and Soul with Clawdiya (my Priest toon)
Return goal. Meditation and Bible reading every day. No grading here, just keeping it on my hud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I'll be waiting until the 9th to start. I guess I'll do a 5 week challenge instead starting on the 2nd.
  • Like 5

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

Woot! I am so here for this. No matter how you feel you did on your last challenge, the important thing is you're still here and working on it! Change comes slowly. 

2 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

I get overwhelmed by all of my stuff sometimes and it is worse when it is everywhere. I need to devote time at least once a week to cleaning up the spaces around me to help keep my head clear. 75% needed to pass.

@fleaball just drew my attention to this blog Unfuck Your Habitat that has a nice post on depression and cleaning.

2 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

This one is going to hurt. One treat permitted a week. Otherwise: no sweetened chocolate, no cookies, no cake, no pie, no ice cream, etc. Use peppermint tea and ginger peach tea as blockers if it is just craving. Keep chewing gum on hand if it is for fidgeting. Use green tea and black teas for caffeine needs. Other suggestions of craving busters welcome! 75% streak needed to pass.

I know I've said it before but I seriously recommend fat as a replacement for sugar. Nuts and cheese are my all-stars. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

I bombed most of the items last challenge, and I still think I could have done better on the one thing I passed. I sunk into a nasty sorrow during the challenge, and I still feel mostly just overwhelmed and unorganised. Like I can't pull anything together. I'm starting to see more brain fog, mental chatter, and depression - destroying these was one of my main goals so I know I'm not winning there. Science says this is probably from sugar consumption, and last challenge in spite of good meal choices I still ate a lot of sugar.

I need to rely on everyone here to keep me accountable and Hymnusal can get help from her guild mates too! Hopefully I don't overwhelm everyone with food pictures this time around... 

Strength and Stretching with Fanzagale (my Monk toon)
Return goal. Continue the BBWW 3 times a week, do one longer yoga session a week. - 75% in both categories needed for a Pass

A rainbow of vegetation with Aquaineil (my Druid toon)
Return goal. Follow the "Foodist Plate" suggestion with 1/2 of lunch and supper being vegetables 5 days a week. Photograph all food eaten and post on NF challenge thread.

Bonus: Mind and Soul with Clawdiya (my Priest toon)
Return goal. Meditation and Bible reading every day. No grading here, just keeping it on my hud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I'll be waiting until the 9th to start. I guess I'll do a 5 week challenge instead starting on the 2nd.

I will say is that I started yesterday. I know if I give myself that "time off" I will lose motivation. So better to just start now. But I understanding not wanting to wait. Your welcome to join me now if you want. I will keep an eye on you.

I think quite a few people hit a rough patch last challenge. I went through a couple weeks where it was too much and I was just done. Having to keep it all together gets hard, but its the fact that you are still here even after a bad challenge, shows you are stronger than you think, and you will get where you want, even if it may take longer than you think.

I think your goals are great. How often or do you want us to bug you if we don't see you? Feel free to overwhelm me with food pictures. I might get ideas from seeing what your eating.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I think quite a few people hit a rough patch last challenge. 

For real, first it was Memorial Day weekend that threw us all off and then everyone kind of collapsed in week four. Good on you two for getting started early, but if I learned anything last challenge it's "Holidays screw everyone up" so watch out for the 4th! 

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I think your goals are great. How often or do you want us to bug you if we don't see you? 

Seconded, I'm prepared to check in as much or as little as you want.

• Like 1

Congrats on becoming your own kingdom, Canada! 

Why are the US and Canada so close together on this? Mexico's Independence Day is in September, they understand the concept of spacing things out! (Of course, idiotic Americans tend to celebrate Mexican Independence in May, but what can you do.) 

Regardless, watch out for national holidays! They have the ability to completely throw off your schedule in a way that, although entirely regular and predictable, is still nevertheless nearly always totally unforeseen. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bean Sidhe said:

So when do I need to start reminding you to do things? (I am being helpful, not too annoying, I hope... hehehe)

No, I don't think it's too annoying, and I think your right that taking a break won't help. I guess I start now. :) 
Probably if I disappear for 2 days I should be poked. I'm trying to figure out my email settings because it's only emailing me for some threads, not all... I may have to re-install tapatalk on my phone. I just find that hard because I end up with alert fatigue that way pretty fast (some threads are VERY active *cough* flea *cough*) :P

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

14 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

No, I don't think it's too annoying, and I think your right that taking a break won't help. I guess I start now. :) 
Probably if I disappear for 2 days I should be poked. I'm trying to figure out my email settings because it's only emailing me for some threads, not all... I may have to re-install tapatalk on my phone. I just find that hard because I end up with alert fatigue that way pretty fast (some threads are VERY active *cough* flea *cough*) :P

I get it. That's why I ask. IF I don't see you every couple of days, I will begin the "Hey, where are you at"  I think I have my stuff here set up to email me a digest every 24 hours, so I don't get too overwhelmed. and honestly, I am just making it part of my mornings to come in and do a "Here's how yesterday went" post If nothing else gets done, that's okay too.

I don't have taptalk or anything else on my phone. I love it here, but I know you all will understand if I get to you when I can.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Day -10: (June 29th)

Strength and Stretching with Fanzagale: 1 BBWW done!
A rainbow of vegetation with Aquaineil: 2 meals done!
Spoiler

June 29 breakfast: Puffed Rice with Dorset brand granola on top + Almond milk.

June 29 morning snack time: Loaded down on two cups of green tea to stay awake.

June 29 lunch: Leftover spinach omelet (which I ate before I remembered to photograph it :( ), an apple and some baby carrots, cherry tea

June 29 afternoon snack time: Had a "Coconut Climax" tea to keep me from fidgeting.

June 29 supper: Chicken thigh and potato-onion-green-pepper-curry-hash-thing

June 29 evening: 1/6 unsweetened pure cranberry juice mixed with 5/6 water after workout (for mild urinary tract infection)

eP3477a.jpgVL9uZfg.jpgiY6Or1M.jpglaNEWuu.jpg00b8GQ1.jpg

Obliterate Sugar with Zoeshen: No sugary sweets were eaten

Tidy spaces with Bellabarque: I didn't do anything yesterday (was out house hunting with a realtor most of the evening), but the evening before I cleaned the bathroom counter and threw out some expired medications.

Bonus: Mind and Soul with Clawdiya: Actually managed to do this, although I didn't meditate long before the sleepiness won.

• Like 4

Rebel Death Knight

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Sounds like a great day! Keep it up!! 

I wonder if photographing your food will unintentionally become habit by the time you finish this challenge, as a side effect of tracking your food that way. 

We'll have to see, long term behavioural patterns do tend to stick.
Trying to convince myself that baby carrots are just as good as chocolate. Not sure my brain is buying it but I'm not quitting this soon! D:<

• Like 2

Rebel Death Knight

1 minute ago, Hymnusal said:

Trying to convince myself that baby carrots are just as good as chocolate. Not sure my brain is buying it but I'm not quitting this soon! D:<

I keep telling people high-fat is the way to overcome chocolate issues. You'll never convince your brain that the sugar in a carrot is as good as the sugar in a piece of chocolate, it just isn't (until you get to the point that the sugar in a piece of chocolate is way too much and then the sugar in a carrot is definitely preferable). 

I went cold-turkey on chocolate with a two pronged attack: first, don't have any in the house, and don't buy any; second, whenever you think, "I really want some chocolate right now," get up and eat a handful of nuts or a string cheese. 

I tried chocolate again recently and just a little made me totally overwhelmed, I wasn't able to finish a candy bar. I wasn't able to finish. It only took two or three weeks to reset my palate. 

• Like 1

Oh no! I would definitely try prepping stuff the night before then, if that's an issue for you. 

String cheese comes in easy-to-grab single servings! With nuts I always find that if I toss just a handful (the amount I would normally eat at home) into a ziplock or something, it looks like a ridiculously small amount. BUT it might work to keep a larger stash of nuts on you (or at your desk at work) and just grab a handful from that and then close it and put the rest away. Hardboiled eggs also travel well. 

On the flip side, keep in mind carrots are super low-calorie. Go ahead and eat as many as you want if you're hungry. 

Best of luck!! 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

On the flip side, keep in mind carrots are super low-calorie. Go ahead and eat as many as you want if you're hungry. 

This is my tactic of choice: eat ALL the low cal things. I've been known to eat half a head of raw cauliflower as an afternoon snack.

• Like 3
Just now, Plazmotic said:

This is my tactic of choice: eat ALL the low cal things. I've been known to eat half a head of raw cauliflower as an afternoon snack.

I wouldn't recommend jumping into that right away if you're not already big on vegetables, though... the fiber dose will hurt a lot on the other end, right? 

• Like 1
Just now, Wobbegong said:

I wouldn't recommend jumping into that right away if you're not already big on vegetables, though... the fiber dose will hurt a lot on the other end, right? 

I both need a shit ton of fiber (pun intended) to survive AND have been gorging on vegetables for years, so it works for me. It's absolutely not for everyone though. Give my husband that much fiber and yeah... going to have to evacuate the building.

• Like 2
Just now, Plazmotic said:

I both need a shit ton of fiber (pun intended) to survive AND have been gorging on vegetables for years, so it works for me. It's absolutely not for everyone though. Give my husband that much fiber and yeah... going to have to evacuate the building.

Definitely worth working your way up to it slowly, then! ;)

I also tend to gorge on veggies, but I know a lot of people can't keep up with that... lol. And some days I have really heavy fiber days (all kale all day long... why) and even I get a little roughed up. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Definitely worth working your way up to it slowly, then! ;)

I also tend to gorge on veggies, but I know a lot of people can't keep up with that... lol. And some days I have really heavy fiber days (all kale all day long... why) and even I get a little roughed up. 

I can eat all the veggies I want and be fine. I used to only eat veggies when I was a poor primal college student. My husband cannot, we tried switching to primal after we got married and he got sick, and when I gave him grains he improved immediately. :chargrined: He's already only 115 pounds soaking wet so I don't want to push him, especially since he doesn't seem to struggle with weight or cravings of any kind. I makes it hard since he really can't relate to any of my issues around food.

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

Day -9: (June 30th)

Strength and Stretching with Fanzagale: Rest day
A rainbow of vegetation with Aquaineil: 1 meals done! (3/4 so far) 
Spoiler

June 30 breakfast: Puffed Rice with Dorset brand granola on top + Almond milk (this is going to get repetitive)

June 30 morning snack time: Teaaaaaaaaaaa

June 30 lunch: Husband took me out to Freddy's Waffle Station. Guacamole Waffle sandwich was awesome, these guys make fantastic guacamole, but I think of this more as treat than a healthy meal so I won't count it towards the rainbow of vegetation.

June 30 afternoon snack time: Baby carrots and tea. So much tea.

June 30 supper: Chicken thigh and pan fried sweet potatoes

June 30 evening: Unsweetened peanut butter toast, Hummus and Broccoli

eP3477a.jpg

dNCiVNM.jpg

dnipbDb.jpg

oq8fqcd.jpg

BSO5ooQ.jpg

scI0n6Z.jpg

Obliterate Sugar with Zoeshen: I survived on tea and distractions! No sugary sweets were eaten. 2 day streak.

Tidy spaces with Bellabarque: It doesn't count for cleaning up the apartment, but I cleaned my desk at work and felt a bit better about the work space afterwards.

Bonus: Mind and Soul with Clawdiya: Stayed up really late to hang out with/support a friend who has been having a rough time lately. Found time to read some, but didn't do any meditation.

In other news, today is Canada's 150th birthday. I guess this is the day the British North America Act came into effect and the Dominion of Canada was formed. Guess both Canada and America liked doing constitutional paperwork in early July? 
Happy Canada Day! :D 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Rebel Death Knight

Happy Canada Day!! Is special stuff happening for 150 years? That seems like a number humans would like to make a big deal about. 

Congrats on your obliterate sugar streak! Keep going strong! Looks like you're doing great with your other goals, too. I guess I can see why you wouldn't count cleaning your desk at work for apartment tidying, but anytime you remove clutter it frees mental space. So I would count that as a success even if it doesn't apply to your challenge. :)

• Like 1

fyi Flea totally will not hold it against anyone for not following her. Sometimes my own thread is even too much for me. :) (What I've started doing is just following my friends' threads in other guilds, sometimes a few in the Rebels that I want to stay on top of, and then just checking the Rebel forum once or twice a day instead of following every single one. It helps a lot.)

Happy Canada Day!

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi