Soulcon and Spartan

This challenge (as well as the next one) will be influenced by two things: Soulcon, which starts July 10th and the Spartan Race, which will be August 27th.

hqdefault.jpg

Soulcon is a ministry for men created by Navy veteran, author and lifestyle/fitness coach Cody Bobay. It stands for SOULCONtrol and refers to the Bible's call to submit our mind, will and emotions to the Holy Spirit on a daily basis. Essentially, Soulcon equates the concept of self-discipline with strengthening your walk with the Holy Spirit; they are not mutually exclusive. The spirit (your soul) needs to be strong in order for the body to be healthy and strong. Soulcon is a 6 week challenge for men, and there are four main fundamentals that are part of the Soulcon daily routine: what you eat, what you drink, exercise, and rest. In addition, there are several required objectives:

• Pray the Lord's Prayer out loud, on your knees, every day
  • No carbs after 3pm from grains and breads (sweet potatoes, vegetables, and berries are allowed)
    • Track your caloric intake except on feast days
  • Drink at least 64oz of water a day
  • Exercise at least 30 minutes 5 days a week
    • Run, walk or crawl two 5ks a week
  • Before you leave home for the day do 40 pushups (or as many as you can) <---- I may be substituting burpees here.
  • Sleep 6-8 hours a night (excluding feast days)
  • Evangelism: Talk to at least 10 people you don't know about your faith

There is also a weekly physical challenge:

Week 1: Test-In Week

• Max Push-ups in 2 minutes
      • 2 min rest
    • Max Sit-ups in 2 minutes
      • 2 min rest
    • Run, walk, or crawl a 5k (who crawls a 5k?)
      • Make sure to record your 5k time, push-up, and sit-up count to challenge yourself on Week 6

Week 2: Max Week

• Monday: Push-up Day
      • You have 24 hours to do as many push-ups as possible.
    • Wednesday: Sit-up Day
      • You have 24 hours to do as many sit-ups as possible.
    • Friday: Bodyweight Squat Day
      • You have 24 hours to do as many squats as possible.

Week 3: Fast Week

• Have one fast day with at least one person on your team (this team consists of a Facebook group).
      • On this day, you will drink only water and black coffee.

Week 4: Hell Week

This week you are limited to fruit, veggies (including sweet potatoes, not white potatoes), lean proteins, unsalted nuts, and protein powders (no milk added, only water). Also, no weight training this week, just daily push-ups and any bodyweight training you desire.

Push yourself as hard as possible, and have a healthy competition with the guys on your team. You can keep track of:

• miles from jogging or walking
    • miles from cycling
    • miles on the elliptical

There are two more weeks, but I will save them for the next challenge. I will also share my Spartan challenge in the next post.

• Like 6

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes Supernatural

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Spartan Challenge:

spartan-warrior-e1450977804822.jpg

Physical:

• Daily -- 4:45am wake-up, morning burpees by the river (30) and cold shower; evening burpees before bed (30).
  • Choose one of the following to practice Mon-Fri
    • gripping: hang from something (money bars, tree branch, etc.) as long as possible, but at least 30 seconds.
    • climbing: walls, playground equipment, fences, trees, ropes, poles, etc.
    • carrying: bucket of rocks or sand, tubs of water (farmer carry), logs/stumps, etc.
    • balancing: find a beam, curb, or other narrow surface and walk across it as quickly as you can without falling; repeat
    • crawling: bear crawls, lizard crawls (low to the ground), crab walk, ape crawl (back straight, knees bent)
    • running: walk-jog-sprint intervals
  • MWF -- One workout using the Spartan Bodyweight app.
  • Saturday -- If possible, group each of the above into one workout; mix it up each week.
  • Weekly -- At least one hike/trail run per week; as you run/hike, look for "obstacles" (trees, logs, rocks, cliffs, vines, etc.)

Spartan.jpg

Mental:

• Finish reading Spartan Up by Joe De Sena.
  • Check the Spartan Life blog daily.
  • Listen to at least one episode per week of the Spartan Up podcast and/or a similar health/fitness podcast.
  • Watch video tutorials on Youtube and/or read blog posts about how to complete challenging obstacles.
  • Complete daily sessions on Peak and/or Duolingo.
  • Encourage teammates via text or phone call; plan a team workout session.

MDS-Wallpaper.jpg

Spiritual:

• Daily Bible reading using ReadScripture app. I love this app because it guides you through every book of the Bible with videos, activities, and of course scripture.
  • Daily prayer/meditation.
  • Continue to work with and talk with mentor.
  • Call mother every day
  • Visit grandfather at least once/week.
  • Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes Supernatural

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

I finally finished updating my Spartan challenge. Also, I forgot to mention some of the challenge objectives of Soulcon, so I updated them, as well. See above.

Below is a video from the author of the Soulcon Challenge, Cody Bobay:

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

I'm following along.

Thank you. I'm glad you're here.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Looks like a good challenge. Soulcon sounds interesting

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Something cool happened, and it's not really relevant to my challenge, but I thought I would share anyway. I recently listened to an audiobook version of Levi Lusko's Through the Eyes of a Lion. First of all, it is uncanny how much I have in common with Levi. In an ironic twist of fate, we both longed to be 6 feet tall when we were kids but ended up being 5'10 1/2". Like me, Levi is also outnumbered in his household, being married with four daughters. He is a nerd who loves old-school video games (especially Nintendo), movies, and comic books. The book uses a very powerful metaphor (evident in the title) to demonstrate how we should deal with life's struggles. Levi and his wife lost their young daughter after she had an asthma attack and did not recover. Basically "eyes of a lion" refers to seeing with the Holy Spirit rather than through our earthly eyes; having faith and believing in what we can't see. I loved the book so much that I wished I had my own copy so I could highlight and annotate the best parts. So, in a bold move, I emailed the church at which the author is a pastor and shared my story of almost losing my own daughter after she was abducted by a teenage family member. I shared my love of the book and asked (as humbly as I could) if there was any way I could receive a free copy of my own rather than the audiobook copy. I did not expect the response I received.

They said "Yes." They are sending me a copy of the book. I plan to read it again as soon as I get it, so look forward to quotes and excerpts being shared here.

• Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Looks like a good challenge. Soulcon sounds interesting

I'm looking forward to it.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Not much to report yet since I am officially starting my Spartan challenge tomorrow. I did go on a date with my wife last night to see Baby Driver. Ahhhhhmaaaaaazing movie. If you haven't seen it yet, what's your excuse? One of the most unique and creative uses of movie music I have ever seen. Plus, it's just a damn hip movie. But it is intense. There will be a few moments in which you'll feel you need to catch your breath.

If you have seen it, let me know. I don't want to spoil it, but if most of you have seen it I really want to talk about it. Actually, we can probably discuss it without spoiling it.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

16 hours ago, annyshay said:

You're really coming out swinging this summer, it seems. Go get em!

Thank you, @annyshay. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 0, Day 1:

animated-lion-gif-18.gif

• Got up around 7:00am; took Minnie for her usual walk to the river.
  • Said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer while walking along the river.
  • Did 10 burpees (I'll work my way up to 30; Sunday is supposed to be a rest day anyway).
  • Stepped on a nail on the way home; it didn't go far into my foot because it was just on the edge of the skin, but it still hurt.

tenor.gif

• Took a short barefoot hike (about 20 minutes) in spite of my nail "injury."
  • Listened to a sermon by Levi Lusko on my way to work called "Standing on Tiptoes at the Edge of Eternity." Levi has quickly become one of my favorite pastors (and not just because we seem to have a lot in common).
  • Had to work at the movie theater today from 11:30-4:15; clocked out and watched about 30 minutes of Baby Driver before leaving to pick my daughter up from work.
  • Read an article on the Spartan Life blog titled "Can Race Training Make You Smarter?" I sure hope so. :D
    • Takeaways: "For years researchers have tracked the connection between exercise and cognitive function, and study after study has shown that getting your heart and muscles pumping does the brain good when it comes to memory, focus, and planning." "Half-hearted attempts at exercise don't cut it. To truly bulk up your brain, you’ve got to challenge yourself, and do it often. Fitness needs to be a lifestyle—not a short vacation from laziness."

giphy.gif

• Called my mother; she is staying with my grandfather while my uncle is out of town.
  • Completed daily Bible reading: Genesis 12-15
  • Completed a daily session of Peak.
  • Texted my teammates to touch base about workouts; Sunday is their rest day, as well, so they went fishing.

tumblr_nr6apieO0e1sta04co1_500.gif

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 7/2/2017 at 7:43 PM, Wolfen said:

Takeaways: "For years researchers have tracked the connection between exercise and cognitive function, and study after study has shown that getting your heart and muscles pumping does the brain good when it comes to memory, focus, and planning." "Half-hearted attempts at exercise don't cut it. To truly bulk up your brain, you’ve got to challenge yourself, and do it often. Fitness needs to be a lifestyle—not a short vacation from laziness."

I love the idea that we can get smarter by working out. 

On 6/30/2017 at 11:41 PM, Wolfen said:

I loved the book so much that I wished I had my own copy so I could highlight and annotate the best parts. So, in a bold move, I emailed the church at which the author is a pastor and shared my story of almost losing my own daughter after she was abducted by a teenage family member. I shared my love of the book and asked (as humbly as I could) if there was any way I could receive a free copy of my own rather than the audiobook copy. I did not expect the response I received.

That's awesome. I bet you made their day just by contacting them and telling them about your own experience. A friend of mine contacts authors of books she has really enjoyed reading to let them know how their books impacted her. The reception so far has been positive. 

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Week 0, Day 2:

tenor.gif

Physical:

• Walked to the river barefoot with Minnie
  • Completed 15 burpees by the river
  • Completed a WOD from life.spartan.com
  • Worked for my mentor: carried and dragged large tree branches about 80 yards to the riverbank; also fed the chickens and gave them fresh water, used the leaf blower and deck-scrubbed the front porch

giphy.gif

Mental:

• Read about 8 pages of Spartan Up!
  • Read an article on Spartan Life titled "Why Spartans Need Protein at Bedtime."
    • Takeaway: "According to experts, consuming protein between dinner and bedtime can help repair, maintain, and build new tissue in muscles that have been stressed by physical activity." The article recommends a casein protein because "it’s digested and absorbed by the bloodstream at a slower rate, keeping muscles in a non-cannibalizing, anabolic state."
  • Peak session completed.
  • Texted my teammates and shared my workout; the only response I received was from one who said "Wrestled goats."

animated-lion-gif-25.gif

Spiritual:

• Visited my mother
  • I have been using the SuperBetter app to try small challenges, and one of them involves connecting with others. Today's challenge encouraged me to greet someone saying "How is your day going?" rather than "How are you?" This is because "How are you?" has become so common that the automatic response is "Fine" even if you're not. I tried it twice today and both times the person answered with something specific, like "Oh, it's going well, but I don't like this heat," and "It's going good. Only a few more hours left of work."
  • Said the Lord's Prayer as well as a more personal prayer of gratitude and praise, as well as a prayer for my wife who is struggling with some stuff right now.
  • Completed daily Bible reading.

lion-gif-48.gif

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

That's awesome. I bet you made their day just by contacting them and telling them about your own experience. A friend of mine contacts authors of books she has really enjoyed reading to let them know how their books impacted her. The reception so far has been positive.

Here was the reply:

Hello Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us! Your encouraging words are such a blessing to Pastor Levi and Jennie as well as the whole Fresh Life Team! We are also glad to hear your sweet little girl was brought home to you.

We definitely would LOVE to send you a copy of Through the Eyes of a Lion! We are so happy to hear what a huge blessing it has been in your life, I know it's one of my personal favorites!

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us. Enjoy!

And same as your friend, I often contact authors online. In fact, several of my FB and Twitter friends are published authors. I had the chance to meet J. Nichols, author of one of my favorite books, Blue Mind, because he was passing through West Virginia where I live (he's from California!) and he sent me a message on Facebook asking if I would like to have coffee! He gave me a hardback copy of his book signed by both himself and Celine Cousteau (granddaughter of Jacques Cousteau). That was a great day.

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 0, Day 3:

lion-gif-animation-13.gif

Physical:

• Up at 4:45 am, barefoot walk with Minnie to the river
  • 2 x 15 burpees by the river
  • Full-on sprint back home (about 110 yards).
  • Went to Ripley, WV to watch the parade, so a lot of walking

tumblr_oa3tcdBjm81v155zjo1_500.gif

Mental:

• Read a few more pages of Spartan Up!
  • Read an article on Spartan Life titled "6 Ways to Energize Yourself in 60 Seconds."
    • Takeaway: "We need to find a fix within ourselves. That way, when we hit a wall, we’ll always know we’re capable of scaling it—or running through the damn thing."
  • Completed session of Peak
  • Teammate sent a text reminder of a race discount, as well as the date and time for the race; since I am attempting to sign up as a volunteer, however, I might be racing at a different time. But we will continue to touch base for accountability purposes.

m21Bky.gif

Spiritual:

• Talked to Mom today and wished her a Happy Independence Day.
  • Upon waking, sat alone in the living room and read my Bible.
  • Prayed during my walk to the river.
  • Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Quick Update:

• Lost 10 pounds, which was a surprise; I currently weigh 175.
  • Blood pressure and resting heart rate perfect.
  • I have poison ivy all over my legs, arms, and several places on my face
  • Which means I had to get a steroid shot.
  • Been exhausted because my daughter has been working until 2 am, and I have to pick her up. This has messed up my sleep schedule, so no early mornings and no burpees by the river.
  • It's a good thing this is Week 0 because for the past few days I just haven't been feeling it. I'll be ready to get after it by Sunday, I promise.
  • Soulcon starts Monday, so I have to be ready.
  • The Spartan race is just over a month away, but that's closer than it seems.
  • Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

Poison ivy and poor sleep = the worst. You can overcome though. ;)

Thank you! It helps that I have people pushing me along.

DISCLAIMER: The video below is an excerpt from Jocko Willink's podcast. As a retired Navy Seal, Jocko is pretty intense and not for everyone. But given the militaristic themes of both Soulcon and Spartan, it is just the kind of motivation I need right now. But first, some quick background.

When I was in high school, I took three semesters of Marine Corps JROTC. Because my family was lower-class financially, college was probably not an option unless I had the grades for a scholarship (I did not) or joined the military. I was talking to recruiters from the Marines, Navy, and Army. However, some recent medical tests led to a diagnosis of mild epilepsy, and that ruined my chances of military after high school. Fast-forward almost 20 years. After nearly 15 years of no seizures, an opportunity arose to join the Army National Guard. I was enthusiastic at first, until my wife and I were approved to foster two little girls. I made a tough but objective decision to turn down the ARNG and stay home with my family.

But I have always been drawn to the honor and discipline that accompanies the military. My grandfather served, and my grandfather IS the most influential man in my life. Obviously, war is terrible, and I am not an aggressive person at all. But as far as setting standards and pushing to become my best self, Jocko's style of motivation, the stern but encouraging "drill sergeant" style of motivation, works really well with me.

So, without further delay:

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Kalitraz said:

That video is helpful. Thanks. I'm saving that one for that rainy day. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by.

I am going to make one modification to my challenges:

• Sunday will be a day of rest (as it should be); this means no alarm and no workouts, only daily Bible reading/prayer.
  • Limit screen time on Sunday, as well (no longer than 1 hour).
  • If unable to attend church Sunday, listen to at least one sermon from a pastor of your choice.
  • Updates may not be available on Sunday as a result of the above modifications.

I recognized today that I need at least one day to just step back and breathe, to reflect and regroup before beginning the week and facing my challenges again.

In short, I need a Sabbath.

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

This sums it up pretty well:

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, NotThePrincessPeach said:

I respect the change for the Sabbath! I'm glad you are taking that rest day and getting some extra spiritual focus in there. 

Thank you. It is needed.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler