• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fightthefire

How many workout clothes do you own?

So just a question: how many tops, T's, shorts, leggings, pants do you own? Does it match? I personally like it when things match but I've been meaning to revamp my workout clothes and I wanted to get some recommendations/ideas of just how much I should get. Thanks

-Hannah

• Like 1

It really depends on your preferences and priorities.  When I first started working out, I wore ratty t-shirts and cheap shorts, and made sure I had enough to do 3 workouts before laundry became necessary.

Then I started collecting Under Armour shirts (Alter Ego FTW) and wearing them as under shirts at work.  Then I started working out more, because I was already half dressed for it.  I think I'm up to ~10 shirts (2 long sleeve, the rest short) and 5 pairs of shorts, so I can never use "I don't have clothes" as an excuse.  I've gone back and forth on workout pants, but it doesn't stay cold long enough in Florida to be worth it to me.  (And as a guy, I don't wear leggings. :playful: )

Also, something you forgot to mention is socks.  Personally, I have moisture wicking socks (Injinji) for my workouts.  It really depends on your workouts, but running down here in the summer was terrible with normal cotton socks.

• Like 1

I don't have the coveted thigh gap, so unless they're long (basketball) shorts I need leggings or capris for working out or else I get sweat rash on my thighs. Cheerful, I know. 

Like Anim07734, I also wear my workout clothes under my regular clothes sometimes (except for me, it's usually my shorter capris under skirts, again for the chafing issue). I have two pairs of full-length leggings and three pairs of capri leggings at various lengths. 

I tend to run hot, so for exercise tops I either wear old baggy t-shirts if it's cold or tank tops if it's warm. The tanks are the same ones I wear for regular use, and the Ts are the same I use to sleep in (although not the sweaty gross ones, obviously -- I just mean I use them interchangeably). I do have two long-sleeve running hoodies, but I rarely wear them because it's usually too warm. However, they're great for hiking in cold places, and they are designed for exercise, so they're sweat-wicking and don't get clammy. 

I am lucky enough to have small boobs so I can basically buy any compression-based exercise bra in my size off the rack and be fine. If you have large boobs, there are other options out there that offer more stability, but they're often more expensive. I currently have six such bras, but I'll probably get rid of a few when my challenge starts and I clean out my closet, since it's stupid to have more bras than leggings. The way I sweat, I can't reuse either without washing. 

I really want some of this gear but I can't justify the purchase to myself yet. Someday!

• Like 1

This thread reminded me I need to buy new workout clothes. Thanks! (Because literally everything is too small at this point. Womp.)

On 7/5/2017 at 5:47 PM, Wobbegong said:

I really want some of this gear but I can't justify the purchase to myself yet. Someday!

Whaaaaaat oh man if this existed 15 years ago high school Flea may have actually exercised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

This thread reminded me I need to buy new workout clothes. Thanks! 

Why, how many do you have? 

4 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Whaaaaaat oh man if this existed 15 years ago high school Flea may have actually exercised.

RIGHT?! How pumped would I be if I could exercise in Saiyan armor?! 

I actually found this site because I went looking for a youtube video about how to not shred my hands when practicing pull-ups and this Vegeta bro was the "next watch" after one of the videos. He was pretty superbly ridiculous, but at least he posted a link to where he got his fantastic shirt. I've been in love ever since. (Still not satisfied on the pull-up thing though. If I hang from my fingers instead of my palms, I'll just shred my fingers instead of my palms! Who wants that?!) 

Anyway @Hana basically I think just get the amount of exercise gear you'll go through between trips to the laundry. If you do laundry once a week and exercise three times a week, three sets of clothes. Worry about seasonal gear when the weather changes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wobbegong said:

Why, how many do you have? 

Edited my post while you were replying. I currently have one pair of shorts and one tank top that fit, and I've been wearing them as pajamas because of the cooler fabric. I had a few pairs of shorts and a handful of tank tops that I'd bought on clearance somewhere, but I wound up donating them when I moved because I've gained probably 30 pounds since I bought them? It's been that long since I've really attempted working out. (I did bodyweight workouts at home in my underwear when I knew I'd be alone, but I haven't done any running or anything in a while.)

• Like 1

For clothes that are meant to be exercised in, I have two pairs of yoga pants, one pair of sweat pants, and one pair of shorts. And then I have one jacket, two long sleeve dri-fit shirts, and one short sleeve dri-fit shirt (I had two, but the more awesome looking one ended up getting a hole in it.). When I shop, I usually get a couple of things that I can mix & match. Like my dri-fit shirts (a black one and a green one) all match my shorts (black & green) and pants (black).

Then I discovered that exercise clothes are very comfortable for sleeping in and I stopped using them for exercising...

The clothes that I actually workout in are just regular street clothes, the only catch with that is making sure that they are either baggy or stretchy enough to not restrict me or rip. But that works for me because I'm not exercising in a gym (I go to a park).

On 7/6/2017 at 8:04 PM, Wobbegong said:

Anyway @Hana basically I think just get the amount of exercise gear you'll go through between trips to the laundry. If you do laundry once a week and exercise three times a week, three sets of clothes. Worry about seasonal gear when the weather changes.

This, basically. Though I will add that you can usually find some good deals on off-season clothes in the clearance section.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 6:35 PM, zeroh13 said:

Then I discovered that exercise clothes are very comfortable for sleeping in and I stopped using them for exercising...

I discovered the same thing but just thought it was super convenient to wake up dressed to go to the gym.

• Like 2

So I started off wearing old clothes to the gym but as my physique changed i started buying clothes that complemented my muscles. It motivates me to see my striations and muscle contractions when I work out. I own about 2 stringer tank tops, 2 regular tank tops, a sleeveless shirt, a thin hooded long sleeve shirt and about 2 or 3 fitted t-shirts. I started training with shorts and compression tights so I own 5 pairs of compression tights, and 4 pairs of shorts. In Montreal it gets chilly a bit so I own also 2 pairs of sweatpants that I train with. I think that wearing gym gear that you enjoy training in is important for your confidence and motivation. It also doesn't hurt to look good at the gym. I used to buy from Bodybuilding but i found it kind of expensive. I've bought most of my gear from Fit N Funktion. Sick gym gear and amazing prices. Definitely ordering from there again, shipping was free and pretty quick. 

Any other suggestions? besides under armour? I find they're very overpriced.

I have lots. At least 5 sets of running clothes and close to that in gym clothes and 3-4 cycling kits. I believe in removing obstacles that can allow me to skip workouts. I have a crapton of clothing so I can never say I have nothing clean to wear (as long as I do laundry weekly).

Too much, yet not enough.  I think I only have a single pair of shorts and a tech shirt that I wouldn't want to part with at the moment, and even then, they don't match super well.  Everything else is either the wrong size (most of my race shirts), is worn out or broken (my tights and jacket), or is something I thought I needed but actually didn't (tights and jacket again).

I'm perfectly happy running in whatever t-shirt is handy and an old hoodie as long as I'm in good shorts, but I'm probably an outlier among runners in this regard.

On 7/25/2017 at 1:29 PM, TheOtherScott said:

Too much, yet not enough.  

this is basically what I was going to say haha. You can never have too many workout clothes. 

And I live in a cold climate. So I have to have separate winter and summer workout clothes. 

3 pairs of athletic shorts, 2 pairs of jogging pants, and about 10 shirts. And definitely doesn't have to match. Most of the shirts have migrated over time from "nicer" ones over to the workout pile, with the exception of 3 UnderArmour ones that I have gotten as presents. One of the perks of having the gym in my basement is that I can tell that little voice inside my head that says "You look like an idiot" to stuff it since no one else will see me besides my wife and kid (and they already thinking I'm goofy so it doesn't matter).

Three track pants, one set of shorts, several T-shirts, and am looking to get a new set of running shoes. (My old ones wore out) Honestly how much workout apparel you have is nothing in comparison to how much you work out. I'll go outside and Deadlift and Bench in jeans, but if I have to run or do something else involving my legs I'll usually swap out and put my exercise clothes on.

I bought nerd specific workout racer back tanks. So I have 4 of those, 1 tank top, 1 pair of short, 1 pair of undershorts, 3 pair of 3/4 length athletics pants, and a couple pairs of athletic socks. That's it for me.

Well the weather in Montreal, CA isn't the greatest so I dress accordingly plus I like having variety. I'll also workout in wtvr but I still like looking good wether at the gym or anywhere else

Wouldn't have a clue! Probably way too many but I definitely have my favourites that I wear the most. I'd say 10+ pairs of leggings 5-7 pairs of shorts... no idea how many tops/crop tops etc haha

I have... a lot. I lost a significant amount of weight lately, and they're the only thing that fits from my previous life. All of my structured pieces (jeans, some skirts, etc) are far too loose. So I've just been taking all of my workout gear in on my sewing machine. 

My workout clothes are all black, grey, or purple, so they are also used as pieces in my real wardrobe. A pair of running capris can go under a skirt that's a little too short for the workplace, or a running tank with a built-in bra can get layered underneath a cardigan. I also tend to sleep in them.

I guess what I'm trying to say, here, is that athleisure is the backbone of my wardrobe. 

Ankle socks (wicking/etc)-10 pair (wear them alot with other things)

3 pairs shorts (goodwill)

undies (boxer brief) (seems that no one has really mentioned these cept the one or two bra comments)

T-shirts (what ever is clean)

3 towels for shower

We do laundry whenever there is enough to do (2-3 times/week)

I have a lot to be honest! :D 

I don't want to count (don't dare actually), but I believe that I'm at around 15 t-shirts (all different colors, the more colorful the better), god knows how many shorts and leggings, and what I use maybe the most are my compression clothing (god bless their tights!) and I couldn't imagine my workout without them. Ohhh, yes, and a couple of different running shoes (but in reality I use only one pair).

In my defense, I'm often somewhere hiking, or in the gym, so I have to have different clothes for all those activities. :D

On 6/30/2017 at 11:49 AM, Anim07734 said:

It really depends on your preferences and priorities.  When I first started working out, I wore ratty t-shirts and cheap shorts, and made sure I had enough to do 3 workouts before laundry became necessary.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:08 PM, fleaball said:

Edited my post while you were replying. I currently have one pair of shorts and one tank top that fit, and I've been wearing them as pajamas because of the cooler fabric. I had a few pairs of shorts and a handful of tank tops that I'd bought on clearance somewhere, but I wound up donating them when I moved because I've gained probably 30 pounds since I bought them? It's been that long since I've really attempted working out. (I did bodyweight workouts at home in my underwear when I knew I'd be alone, but I haven't done any running or anything in a while.)

Me three...sadly. I only own 2 long pants that are meant to be exercised in and one other pair of cargo shorts that I can't say are meant to be used to for running but I wear them anyway. I haven't gotten any strange looks at the Y yet for wearing them. I have also bought running shoes last week for the first time. Shoes that are meant for running! I don't feel much of a difference other than my feet were more sore afterwards.