Vibrantella's Summer FLOW

Vibrantella

Back in my soul guild, the Druids, for my 11th challenge.  This time of year is so energising, yet I am free of most obligations (family holidays, regular holidays, productive study, choir practice) - there's nothing much to do except go to work, enjoy the long days, and love life! :D 

My overall quest is still to improve my health and body composition.  At my recent annual diabetic check-up I was told that, based on my HbA1C, blood lipids and blood pressure values, I could be taken off the diabetic register.  I opted to stay on, so I would continue with the annual visits, not only because of my genes (my mum and grandma had it, and so does my older sister), but also because I still have T2D; I'm just controlling it with the strongest medicine, food.  I also discovered that I was at the exact same weight as a year ago, 90 kg, putting me at 29 BMI, meaning that I spent the whole year yo-yoing 5 kilos.  On the positive side, a recent DEXA scan showed that I have built a lot of muscle mass too, and that my bones are stronger than average (so I really am big-boned, LOL!)

For this challenge, then, I am going to FLOW:

Fit and Strong

• Weights in the gym 3 x week (one session allowed to swap for a kettlebell workout at home)
  • Walk to Mordor, a.k.a. work ;)  - I'm under 600 km, which means I should hit Mount Doom before Xmas!

Loving Nourishment

• Eat a fully ketogenic diet, meaning no carbs whatsoever except lots of green leafy and summer watery veg (or small amounts of other, non-carby veg); moderate protein and high fat, all from real food (no powders/gels/liquids or sweeteners); keep recording everything on Fitday
  • No snacks between/after meals (this is difficult!)
  • Intermittent Fasting 3 x week - this goes well with keto, and I have already made a great start last challenge; hoping to push on until the second half of August, when we go away for 2 weeks and the schedule will have to change.  Weigh myself the day before travelling.

Open Study

• Go through the dozen or so books that I have amassed to read during the break between my 2 years of MA in Classical Studies; hopefully identify a few topics of strong interest with a view of developing one of them for my dissertation in a year's time
  • Complete the free FutureLearn course on the Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World that ties in with my MA

Weekly Dates

• Lurve - prioritising some quality time with Mr V.
  • Money - set a regular hour to look at boring admin things such as moving/consolidating accounts, checking the small print, reading a finance book, etc.

Thanks for reading, and let's go do it! :D 

• Like 9

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

1 hour ago, Vibrantella said:

Back in my soul guild, the Druids, for my 11th challenge.  This time of year is so energising, yet I am free of most obligations (family holidays, regular holidays, productive study, choir practice) - there's nothing much to do except go to work, enjoy the long days, and love life! :D 

My overall quest is still to improve my health and body composition.  At my recent annual diabetic check-up I was told that, based on my HbA1C, blood lipids and blood pressure values, I could be taken off the diabetic register.  I opted to stay on, so I would continue with the annual visits, not only because of my genes (my mum and grandma had it, and so does my older sister), but also because I still have T2D; I'm just controlling it with the strongest medicine, food.  I also discovered that I was at the exact same weight as a year ago, 90 kg, putting me at 29 BMI, meaning that I spent the whole year yo-yoing 5 kilos.  On the positive side, a recent DEXA scan showed that I have built a lot of muscle mass too, and that my bones are stronger than average (so I really am big-boned, LOL!)

For this challenge, then, I am going to FLOW:

Fit and Strong

• Weights in the gym 3 x week (one session allowed to swap for a kettlebell workout at home)
  • Walk to Mordor, a.k.a. work ;)  - I'm under 600 km, which means I should hit Mount Doom before Xmas!

Loving Nourishment

• Eat a fully ketogenic diet, meaning no carbs whatsoever except lots of green leafy and summer watery veg (or small amounts of other, non-carby veg); moderate protein and high fat, all from real food (no powders/gels/liquids or sweeteners); keep recording everything on Fitday
  • No snacks between/after meals (this is difficult!)
  • Intermittent Fasting 3 x week - this goes well with keto, and I have already made a great start last challenge; hoping to push on until the second half of August, when we go away for 2 weeks and the schedule will have to change.  Weigh myself the day before travelling.

Open Study

• Go through the dozen or so books that I have amassed to read during the break between my 2 years of MA in Classical Studies; hopefully identify a few topics of strong interest with a view of developing one of them for my dissertation in a year's time
  • Complete the free FutureLearn course on the Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World that ties in with my MA

Weekly Dates

• Lurve - prioritising some quality time with Mr V.
  • Money - set a regular hour to look at boring admin things such as moving/consolidating accounts, checking the small print, reading a finance book, etc.

Thanks for reading, and let's go do it! :D 

Following. This  looks like some great goals. I have a family history of diabetes as well and I am trying to avoid having it diagnosed to so I am curious how you are managing it so well.

• Like 2

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

7 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I have a family history of diabetes as well and I am trying to avoid having it diagnosed to so I am curious how you are managing it so well.

Very low carb / ketogenic diet.  Measured blood glucose before and after every meal to start with, until I learned what food elevates it for me.  Nowadays I still measure daily, but just first thing (fasting) and end of the day.  BTW, in addition to normalising blood glucose, keto also helped me go down from the BMI of 40 to where it is now, 28-9.  On the other hand, the diet didn't do anything for my slightly elevated blood pressure - taking up exercise (weights, not just walking) normalised that.

• Like 3

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

9 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Very low carb / ketogenic diet.  Measured blood glucose before and after every meal to start with, until I learned what food elevates it for me.  Nowadays I still measure daily, but just first thing (fasting) and end of the day.  BTW, in addition to normalising blood glucose, keto also helped me go down from the BMI of 40 to where it is now, 28-9.  On the other hand, the diet didn't do anything for my slightly elevated blood pressure - taking up exercise (weights, not just walking) normalised that.

Do you have to eat a ton of nuts? I only ask since I am allergic and everything I have ever seen is to "eat nuts for protien" and well, I would rather not die.. Dying kinda puts a cramp in the healthy living thing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Do you have to eat a ton of nuts? I only ask since I am allergic and everything I have ever seen is to "eat nuts for protien" and well, I would rather not die.. Dying kinda puts a cramp in the healthy living thing.

You are so misguided. Death is the ultimate health. ;)

Oh wait, you say there is no more health after death? Well... you'll be done with it then, right? That works out to the same thing? :P

I hope there is something else you can have. :)

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

You are so misguided. Death is the ultimate health. ;)

Oh wait, you say there is no more health after death? Well... you'll be done with it then, right? That works out to the same thing? :P

I hope there is something else you can have. :)

Well, if you ask my kids, death is when you run out of hp, so I guess unless we learn to literally re-spawn without becoming zombies, then yeah, there is no HP after death.

I do okay with the no nut things. Kraft created these things called trios which are helping (cheese, dark chocolate and dried fruit for like 170 calories) which are great when I realize I am crashing. But I have never really found an eating plan that I can follow. I am almost vegetarian, except, without meat my protein source is generally mushrooms since I can't do the texture of tofu and the whole HP draining nuts.

I am sure there is joke in here about me being so nutty I am allergic to them, but I can't find it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Do you have to eat a ton of nuts?

You don't have to eat a single one.  Actually, I'm trying to avoid them, as they are somewhat of a trigger food for me.  Can't stop eating them!  Even worse with the tasty nut butters, yum...  Nuts are healthy (for those not allergic, obviously!) but they still contain carbs, and more than 10 pieces is too much for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

cheese, dark chocolate and dried fruit

Cheese and 70% chocolate (I go for 90%) are great; dried fruit is too carby for me.  Even fresh fruit is too carby, except for occasional small amounts of berries eaten with fat (cream, Greek yogurt, etc.)

As a vegetarian allergic to nuts, you could still do low carb and get your protein from eggs and dairy.  LC/keto is not a high protein diet; too much protein, that cannot be used for repair/rebuilding the body (including muscle growth, if lifting weights), gets converted into glucose in the body, which is obviously not a good thing for a diabetic.  I love mushrooms, BTW, but how much do you have to eat to get significant protein from them?  A kilo (which is A LOT) barely has 30 grams, which you can get from 5 eggs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Cheese and 70% chocolate (I go for 90%) are great; dried fruit is too carby for me.  Even fresh fruit is too carby, except for occasional small amounts of berries eaten with fat (cream, Greek yogurt, etc.)

As a vegetarian allergic to nuts, you could still do low carb and get your protein from eggs and dairy.  LC/keto is not a high protein diet; too much protein, that cannot be used for repair/rebuilding the body (including muscle growth, if lifting weights), gets converted into glucose in the body, which is obviously not a good thing for a diabetic.  I love mushrooms, BTW, but how much do you have to eat to get significant protein from them?  A kilo (which is A LOT) barely has 30 grams, which you can get from 5 eggs.

I am not quite a veggie, but honestly, I have moments where it makes more sense than sitting there trying to figure out what meat I want for protein. We are getting better about adding protein to my foods, but honestly, I am just has happy if not happier to have no meat in my pasta salad than with it. But I need it since I have been getting really weird crashes (aka, I will be fine, then I can't focus and am super sleepy until I eat again) if I don't have protein. And I really hate eggs straight. My hubby can get me to eat eggs if its more saute veggies and an egg binder. I am trying to eat cheese, but its not something I go "Ooh, I want" (Green peppers on the other hand, I eat like apples). I still eat meat most days since its in the dinner we make for the Agents and I am not making 2 or 3 meals at dinner/ Nope. you eat what is there, or you go hungry. I have noticed the last few years my tastes are changing and things I use to love I am very meh or not at all interested in. Fortunately, its going in the not grease, nothing fatty, nothing overprocessed direction, but there are still drawbacks because I will look at some meat and go "ew... too much grease" when its not that bad.

I honestly think the closest to a diet I can think of is that I want to eat simply. There was this blog I use to read (and can't find now of course) that was an older lady in AUstralia or something and she talked about how she made her own candles, and made her own food, and made all these things, so she could be sure what was in it. It meant there was extra work, but in the end, was she worrying about what to feed her grandchildren or how much stuff she had. It made sense to me, so I try to eat simply. Doesn't always work, but it was the closest thing I had to a starting point. Also the reason I tend ot shy away from "protein powder and things"

6 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

My hubby can get me to eat eggs if its more saute veggies and an egg binder.

Do you like frittatas? Because you can throw pretty much any leftover veggies in one of those and have a healthy dose of protein with good veggies and cheese. 

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

8 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Do you like frittatas? Because you can throw pretty much any leftover veggies in one of those and have a healthy dose of protein with good veggies and cheese. 

I have tried them, however they get too eggy for me (My scrambled eggs is like 2/3 a green pepper and 1/2 onion to 1 egg). But I am still trying, so I may look up another recipe and try again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I have tried them, however they get too eggy for me

To combat egginess (not a real word), I add double cream in equal amounts and it becomes a crustless quiche. :)   My favourite is asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper and chorizo.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

To combat egginess (not a real word), I add double cream in equal amounts and it becomes a crustless quiche. :)   My favourite is asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper and chorizo.

I will try that, thanks. Oh and sorry I hijacked your challenge.

• Like 1

A quick update after my third gym visit for the week, and official WIN! :D  Today I chose to have a leg day.  I'm currently winging a programme, and progressing nicely.  This week the total volume was 22 520 kg, which is RAWR!

Some may remember that I stopped Stronglifts 5x5 as my left knee started cracking painfully.  The situation has greatly improved, due to a two-pronged approach of changing heavy squats for leg press machines, and taking MSM supplements (they are supposed to be good for hair too, which is always a bonus!)

I've also completed the 3 IF for the week, and had my :love_heart: and :greedy_dollars: dates.  Very nice, and rather useful, in that order!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

A quick update after my third gym visit for the week, and official WIN! :D  Today I chose to have a leg day.  I'm currently winging a programme, and progressing nicely.  This week the total volume was 22 520 kg, which is RAWR!

Some may remember that I stopped Stronglifts 5x5 as my left knee started cracking painfully.  The situation has greatly improved, due to a two-pronged approach of changing heavy squats for leg press machines, and taking MSM supplements (they are supposed to be good for hair too, which is always a bonus!)

Awesome to hear this! :D

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 6/30/2017 at 3:43 PM, Vibrantella said:

I've also completed the 3 IF for the week, and had my :love_heart: and :greedy_dollars: dates.  Very nice, and rather useful, in that order!

Dumb question again. I have horrid knees what is MSM supplements.

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

what is MSM supplements.

Basically, organic form of sulphur, which is necessary for well--functioning cartilage and connective tissues.  Dr Google said it could help with crepitus (joint cracking), and it does! :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Basically, organic form of sulphur, which is necessary for well--functioning cartilage and connective tissues.  Dr Google said it could help with crepitus (joint cracking), and it does! :)

Ohh, I am going to have to look into it. For a while there Hubby called me Bean Sidhe because all my joints love to crack and pop. Thanks

Week 00 FLOW:

Fit and Strong

• Weights in the gym 3 x week - done, lots of volume shifted!
  • Walk to Mordor - was happening; total distance covered in June was 167.79 km

Loving Nourishment

• Eat a fully ketogenic diet - 100%
  • No snacks between/after meals - er, 75%?
  • Intermittent Fasting 3 x week - 100%

Open Study

• Book reading - very little; probably need to put in 1-hour diary dates, like below
  • FutureLearn course - worked on it.  It may be unrealistic to complete it by the end of the challenge, though - need to reassess

Weekly Dates

• Love - :D 
  • Money - finally requested an online banking passcode I lost when I changed current accounts (meaning I couldn't access the savings one I had linked).  Good planning, too.

Today's the start of the real Week Zero (Mon-Sun), and I'm feeling positive about the challenge.  Woke up with a headache, though, which I haven't managed to shake off - I hope it will pass by the time I get to the gym!

• Like 5

Hazy summer sun

Illuminates my essence

As I toil and thrive

I posted this already in @Terinatum' s thread, but I like it :)  It's an accurate snapshot of this time for me.  It's getting warm and sunny again here in London, it's as if Wimbledon hasn't started yet! ;) 

I had a really god day yesterday, in that I ate keto and managed no snacks whatsoever.  I suppose the two-course lunch and dinner helped, LOL!  On the other hand, I was feeling a little restless, wanting to check my weight, and fearing it would disappoint me.  Well, whatever my weight is, I'd be disappointed - what I would like is to snap my fingers and be 15 kilos lighter with skin/muscles tightened up.  Because that's a realistic expectation.  Ho-hum!

• Like 6