Moros does some de-bugging

Moros

So Moros is marching on.  The goal this challenge is to firm things up.  Last challenge got away from me some, partially due to several trips, but I want to get things back to consistency.  So, the challenge is exactly the same, except that I've added one tiny thing:

• When I post my report to the forum, I need to discuss how to de-bug my exercises better.  I need to come up with better strategies that work for me in the evening, when I am tired, and distracted, so that I do my mobility work.  I really need to focus on this.

Full details in the spoiler:

Spoiler

1. Morning Work

Walk - 30 minutes - Sun, Tue, Thu - 3 pts each
    Bodyweight exercises - Mon, Wed, Fri - 7pts each
        Currently (may change):
        Darbee Cardio as a warmup (1 set, build up each time)
        10 knee Pushups - build this up until can switch to normal push-ups.
                          Keep working on form
        15 wall squats - 10s
        10+8 inverted rows - build this up each time
        15+8 bridges - build this up each time
        42 second plank - build this up each time

Practice Bracing Sequence slowly three times - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    NFA Academy cool-down - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    10 minutes of mediation - 7 days - 1 pt each - using the Calm app

2. Lunch time

Read NF Forums - Sun - Fri - 2pts each
    Contact RH wing-woman & squad - no points, but here as a reminder

3. Evening

Mobility - Kate Galliett - MM Drills - (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri) - 2pts each
    Mobility - Kelly Sterett - Movement Prescription (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri) - 2pts each
    Post NF - Sun - Fri - 1pt each
    **Daily Evaluation - 1pt Sun-Fri - look at what worked, what didn't, and create
    strategies for improvement.**

4. Mace Zendu (Sundays, and Thursdays)

Yoga - continue with NF Yoga (Water A) and Yoga by Adrienne - (Thu, Sun) - 5pts each
    Mace workouts - 5pt each (Sundays only)

Total Weekly Points: 110, except for known vacations

I will consider 326 points a success, 352 good, and 396 excellent.  
440 points maximum. 

fd752102a8fce6454d832f492e51fd23.gif

Edit - so, as a basic reward, I will get some new gym shorts (since mine are looking more and more sad).  Maybe a new water bottle also. If I really do well, I will buy some Go-Ruck plates.  Eventually, I would like to try rucking, and their packs look really, really durable.

Edit 2 - Adjusted the challenge to reflect that I won't be doing mobility work after Yoga - it's too much to do both on the same evening.

• Like 3

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Looks good! Do you give yourself a reward with the points, or just see how many points you can earn?

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

54 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Looks good! Do you give yourself a reward with the points, or just see how many points you can earn?

Doh! - I forgot to add a reward.  I'll have to think about it some...  

• Like 2

Day -10 - did all of the things.

So, my foot pain was better today - lots of gatorade, legs up the wall, and icing yesterday helped. 

I did all of my bodyweight exercises, stretches and bracing in the morning.  Lunch stuff was fine, though I do need to catch up with everybody's threads.  In the evening, I did my mobility exercises at 9pm, which was easy, because we were watching TV.  So, that worked out.

Strategy 1 - just do my mobility work at 9pm, and see how that works out.  If it doesn't, switch to a new strategy.

• Like 3

Days -9 to -7 - Foot Pain/Sad Trombone

So, Moros put himself in a corner a bit - my foot pain flared up big time, and Thursday I was pretty much stuck on the couch.  Kept hydrating, and slowly got better.  On Saturday, Ms. Moros and I had a walk in the park.  It was 1.6 miles, but the terrain was much more uneven and rocky - in other words, rangerly. 

We walked by the beautiful old mill that is a landmark in these parts...

lantermans_mill_710_1.jpg

Sunday has been better so far.  Post on that in a bit...

• Like 3

Day -6 - did most of the things

So, I did most of the things that I would have done in my normal challenge day, except for some of the mobility work.  Had a tough day emotionally because of <REDACTED> but managed to pull things through.  Pain level in my feet is about 3-4, so I need to keep working on that.

Evaluation of last week - things went badly because 1) pushing too hard in too many areas, and 2) a massively salty diet + dehydration got me into a bad way, feet wise.  In September, I plan to make my challenges pretty much all about improving my diet, but at the moment, there is no mental room for that.  Still, if I don't pay any attention to it, I won't be able to exercise.

So, I will focus on staying hydrated, and try to cool it on the salty foods for now.

0987143020fad6be2293194c3381df7b.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/28/2017 at 7:19 AM, Moros said:

So Moros is marching on.  The goal this challenge is to firm things up.  Last challenge got away from me some, partially due to several trips, but I want to get things back to consistency.  So, the challenge is exactly the same, except that I've added one tiny thing:

• When I post my report to the forum, I need to discuss how to de-bug my exercises better.  I need to come up with better strategies that work for me in the evening, when I am tired, and distracted, so that I do my mobility work.  I really need to focus on this.

Full details in the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Morning Work

Walk - 30 minutes - Sun, Tue, Thu - 3 pts each
    Bodyweight exercises - Mon, Wed, Fri - 7pts each
        Currently (may change):
        Darbee Cardio as a warmup (1 set, build up each time)
        10 knee Pushups - build this up until can switch to normal push-ups.
                          Keep working on form
        15 wall squats - 10s
        10+8 inverted rows - build this up each time
        15+8 bridges - build this up each time
        42 second plank - build this up each time

NFA Academy cool-down - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    10 minutes of mediation - 7 days - 1 pt each - using the Calm app

2. Lunch time

Read NF Forums - Sun - Fri - 2pts each
    Contact RH wing-woman & squad - no points, but here as a reminder

3. Evening

Mobility - Kate Galliett - MM Drills - (Sun - Fri) - 2pts each
    Mobility - Kelly Sterett - Movement Prescription (Sun - Fri) - 2pts each
    Post NF - Sun - Fri - 1pt each
    **Daily Evaluation - 1pt Sun-Fri - look at what worked, what didn't, and create
    strategies for improvement.**

4. Mace Zendu (Sundays, and Thursdays)

Yoga - continue with NF Yoga (Water A) and Yoga by Adrienne - (Thu, Sun) - 5pts each
    Mace workouts - 5pt each

Total Weekly Points: 118, except for known vacations

I will consider 340 points a success, 378 good, and 425 excellent.  
472 points maximum. 

fd752102a8fce6454d832f492e51fd23.gif

Edit - so, as a basic reward, I will get some new gym shorts (since mine are looking more and more sad).  Maybe a new water bottle also. If I really do well, I will buy some Go-Ruck plates.  Eventually, I would like to try rucking, and their packs look really, really durable.

I vote for the Nalgene bottles with the OTF cap (it's flip top, and leak proof),and as a bonus come in cool Marvel superheroes motifs. (Mine is the Avengers)

Those go ruck packs look awesome, I drooled over the bullet before I realized that there's no way I can afford it.  I settled on a weighted vest that goes from 4 to 50 lbs.. Well, it might be less than 4 if its only the vest.  It was only 50.....much more doable for me.

1 hour ago, Moros said:

Days -9 to -7 - Foot Pain/Sad Trombone

So, Moros put himself in a corner a bit - my foot pain flared up big time, and Thursday I was pretty much stuck on the couch.  Kept hydrating, and slowly got better.  On Saturday, Ms. Moros and I had a walk in the park.  It was 1.6 miles, but the terrain was much more uneven and rocky - in other words, rangerly. 

We walked by the beautiful old mill that is a landmark in these parts...

lantermans_mill_710_1.jpg

Sunday has been better so far.  Post on that in a bit...

Holey moley......I would totally walk there FOREVER.   It's gorgeous.  You are blessed.

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

13 hours ago, Rinna said:

I vote for the Nalgene bottles with the OTF cap (it's flip top, and leak proof),and as a bonus come in cool Marvel superheroes motifs. (Mine is the Avengers)

Those go ruck packs look awesome, I drooled over the bullet before I realized that there's no way I can afford it.  I settled on a weighted vest that goes from 4 to 50 lbs.. Well, it might be less than 4 if its only the vest.  It was only 50.....much more doable for me.

Avengers are good...

I have definitely thought about the weighted vest as a starting point for rucking since you mentioned it in your thread.  - since you just got one - any thoughts about what brand/brands is/are best?  

1 hour ago, Moros said:

Avengers are good...

I have definitely thought about the weighted vest as a starting point for rucking since you mentioned it in your thread.  - since you just got one - any thoughts about what brand/brands is/are best?  

I went solely on price.  Got it on walmart.com, Fuel Weighted Vest.  

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Day -5 - did all of the things

g1369638954952825892.jpg

So, I think the difference was - 1. just better memory cues, and 2. Ms. Moros is also doing mobility from Katie Bowman, so that helped. 

Still, this is my first "clean sheet" in a long time, so I will now do the dance of joy:

angel-dance-2.gif

• Like 5

Day -4 - Happy 4th of July

Had a quiet holiday mostly.  Ms. Moros and I had a nice walk in the park again, though we decided to stay on the flat trail.

I got a PR on my meditation - I have now meditated one a day for 60 days straight.  That felt good.

Then, one of our friends came over, and we gamed.  We finished up Pandemic Legacy, and saved the world.  At the very end, you total up the score of the entire campaign (no spoilers).  We wound up with a final score of 664, which is in the "not bad" category.

As a result of the gaming, I didn't do any mobility or stretching.  I need to get better about getting up and doing stretches when it's not my turn.  But, the tension was high...

Again, I think the issue is some cue to remind me.

013-Pandemic-Legacy.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on the meditation PR! We still have 3 more months to go in Pandemic Legacy.  I'm loving the game, it is so fun.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I really like the way you are reflecting back with each post about how you might improve.

Also I hope that whatever was bad on Sunday is better now.

Thanks - I appreciate it.  Often, I (redact) things when other people's privacy is involved.  Like a lot of us, I struggle with other (not life-threatening) issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the meditation PR! We still have 3 more months to go in Pandemic Legacy.  I'm loving the game, it is so fun.

It's a lot of fun - I really enjoyed the twists and turns of the game.  There is a Season Two Pandemic Legacy planned to come out I think by the end of the year...

Day -3 - A pretty good day

So, the day was kind of kerfluffled - I had to come home early for a repairman, and he did not show up for valid reasons.  Unfortunately, he only had Ms. Moros's phone, and she was away from it for most of the work day :(  So, that kind of disrupted things.

Ms. Moros came home sick, and basically went straight to bed, so I wound up doing additional meal prep today.  By the time I got to mobility, I was really tired, and so only did the Kate Galiett Movement Manifesto stuff that I've been doing.  I was just too tired to do anything new, and wasted a little bit too much time looking at YouTube videos - including the old-school StarCraft that I spent way too much time playing when I was younger :)

Lesson Learned: Start earlier when I feel tired - still need better cues.

Still, for those interested:

18 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Hey Moros, good to see you are going steady, solid challenge! I will be jumping in once in a while to check up on you, but i can see you have a solid foundation this challenge!

Thanks sir!  I hope the ankle has continued to get better - been meaning to check your battle logs...

Day -2 Moros tired now

I'm pretty exhausted at the moment, so I will make this brief.  Did my walks, and stretches, and meditation in the morning.  Just finished NF Yoga Water

A with Ms. Moros, and although it was hard, we rangered it.

It's weird in Yoga how some poses get easier for a while, then harder, then easier again.  I guess it's how your body adjusts to the poses.

I'll try to do some self-evaluation tomorrow - right now I have to help Ms. Moros with the bedsheets.

My google image humor foo is weak tonight - this will have to do for now:

a7173fc8cc6a3d07849d6c1a1aa6bec3--good-m

• Like 2

Is help Ms. Moros with the sheets a euphemism? She must be feeling better ;)

How long does it take for Yoga to get easier? I don't think I've ever stuck with a program long enough. Do you think it helps to stick with the same video for a while?

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

How long does it take for Yoga to get easier? I don't think I've ever stuck with a program long enough. Do you think it helps to stick with the same video for a while?

Wondering the same thing on both questions.:)

• Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 10:14 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

:)  My parents are visiting, and we had to change the sheets on the bed - nothing exciting - sorry everyone :)

I think it does help to stay with the same video for a while, but I'm still very much a newbie.  My routine is to watch, and do some videos from Yoga with Adrienne (The Foundations of Yoga series), where she goes through one pose (like Tabletop, or Cat-Cow) very slowly.  So, that way I can get my form right.

Then, I do Water A on Nerd Fitness, sometimes Water B or the Yin Yoga routine.  They are all pretty difficult in their own way.

I think the advantage is that at first you are just learning the routine - as you get better, you pay more attention to form, and I think that's why it gets harder again.

• Like 4