• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KimShea

Deadlift help

Started Stronglifts on 6/3, and everything was going along nicely.  Then I went on a vacation and took time off.  Worked out 6/12 then vacay, then back at the gym on 6/23, so 11 days off.  First day back was deadlift day, and I didn't try to deload, since I hadn't really worked up to anything heavy yet.  That day I did 110lbs.  It was fine at the time, but later that evening got some bad lower back pain which continued through Sunday - so a couple more days.  Tonight I go back and I'm afraid I'll hurt myself.  Stronglifts app says I should attempt to deadlift 120.  I was trying to concentrate hard on not rounding my back - could I have hyperextended instead?  I feel I may have had the bar too far from my body, as I seem to have difficulty keeping it close.  It never touches my shins, for example.

Wondering if it is a form problem, if this is normal for deadlifts after you get a little more weight on, or if it's because I did too much after the 11 day break...

Likely a combination of all three. My best suggestion would be to record yourself doing them. For an 11 day break I would deload. Even if it's "not" heavy, it doesn't hurt to be safe if you're having back pains that appear to be beyond DOMS.

I'm working on keeping my form appropriate as well and one of the best suggestions I've been given was focus on pinching your shoulder blades together. This will help make sure your back is straight instead of rounded.

Sent from my X-wing using the Force.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts are leaning towards doms. If you'd hurt yourself, you traditionally feel it immediately. I have certainly felt pretty crushed for about a week after coming back from any sort of decent break from lifting. But to be sure, post up a form check, and we'll give it a look over to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  I went back last night and did the 120lbs.  I made my 17yo daughter watch me to check my back was straight and my arms perpendicular to the floor.  I also re-read the "how to do a deadlift" article here on NF and concentrated on keeping the bar closer to my body.  I feel OK today, so whatever happened is better.  Struggled to lift the 120 but I did it.  I did notice my lower back hurt a bit at the bottom end of my squats.  I may have her video me and let you all take a look at my form.  Feeling reassured overall.  Thanks!!

• Like 2