Challenge

PinkNinja

1. Morning Routine

I'm going to follow the Rising Heroes morning routine building missions. I had already started doing sun salutations (which I plan to build on). The first part of RH is making your bed. So I added that in beginning today. I've visited the idea before and blew it off. I really never feel the need for a made bed. But I'm going to give it a shot.My room is a mess and making my bed did make me feel better about my mess.. a little.

2. My evenings
I've been leaving work late and then going to sleep. Some nights, no dinner or anything, just home and zzzzzzzzzz. I really need to stop that and put some structure and some activity back in my evenings.

3. Make a workout schedule and stick to it.

4. Plan around possible & likely obstacles and stick with the challenge. 

• Like 4

How has RH been going?  I haven't heard much about it since the launch, and have wondered how it's been.  Granted, they explicitly said it's not for people like me, but I'm curious.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 7/3/2017 at 2:50 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

How has RH been going?  I haven't heard much about it since the launch, and have wondered how it's been.  Granted, they explicitly said it's not for people like me, but I'm curious.

I don't use it as much as I could/should?. Parts of it have benefitted me: the gratitude missions were a big deal for me, the squad aspect helps, and several of the new "special ops"(missions available all the time) have been good. They've made a lot of recent changes, most of them seem for the better, to me anyway. Things to make it more scalable and more flexible. Though, I originally signed up for it to help motivate me to be active. Aside from the squat challenge and a few burpees, that really hasn't happened. And I'm really not into the story aspect of it at all. 

1. I've been doing really well with my morning routine building. I can't believe I'm a convert to making my bed in the morning. I skipped part of a step. It was to go 7 days without using electronics for the first 30 minutes you're up. I've never really had a problem with that, so after a few days, I decided to move on.
Now, for 7 days, I'm supposed to wake up 15 minutes early. That 15 minutes is supposed to be spent either meditating or easing into the day. I think I'm going to split it. I'm going to do the 7 days of calm each morning and then use the remaining time to lengthen my yoga in the morning, which is sort of like easing into the day. 

My morning routine(and all of my goals, really) will be challenged for part of the month. My guy and the little one are coming to visit for almost a week. I'm super excited. He tends to sleep later than me, so waking up, meditating, and doing yoga shouldn't be a problem. I will skip making up the bed until he gets up, and he usually makes up the bed when he gets up.

2. Last night was another "get home and sleep" evening. But I think I needed it. The last few days have been really busy. I had to work part of the day on both of my days off, and I had a friend visiting with her young son. Today though I'm starting to get back to my routine of household chores and organizing. My dad may come over for bacon wrapped jalapeno hot dogs & watching Assasin's Creed. But I'll still be able to work for a bit. We don't get to hang out one on one very often, so that'll be fun.

3. I made my workout schedule. I finished it today. It starts today and goes to the end of the month.

4. When I made it, I scheduled around my guy being here as much as I could, including for one set of days just saying "Do some fun cardio with little one". And a workout the day they leave because they usually leave early.

My Dietbet weigh in day is the 25th. I have 5 lbs to go, so I'm halfway there. I have to make sure I don't eat poorly while they are visiting. It shouldn't be too hard, we both like BBQ. I just need to remember to not touch the soda! Except for one restaurant. Because their water is terrible, so their tea is terrible on top of the fact that it will give instant diabetes, and they only have soda other than that. -_- But he has been dying to eat there ever since I took him there when they were down at Christmas.

I need to quit with excuses. So many of you guys workout no matter what, even after crap long days at work or weeks with no day off. I need to just do it. Even if its boring or I'm tired. If my family wants me to come over for dinner, I can workout first. They eat so freaking late, I won't be holding anyone up.

8 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

1. I've been doing really well with my morning routine building. I can't believe I'm a convert to making my bed in the morning. I skipped part of a step. It was to go 7 days without using electronics for the first 30 minutes you're up. I've never really had a problem with that, so after a few days, I decided to move on.
Now, for 7 days, I'm supposed to wake up 15 minutes early. That 15 minutes is supposed to be spent either meditating or easing into the day. I think I'm going to split it. I'm going to do the 7 days of calm each morning and then use the remaining time to lengthen my yoga in the morning, which is sort of like easing into the day. 

Congratulations on building such good habits!!  That's awesome!  New wake up habits seem like a really cool way to get a positive start to your day.

2 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

Dad's not coming. 

I worked out, cleaned, and am working on catching up on laundry while I watch Assassin's Creed. 

I'm sorry your dad couldn't make it, sounded like that was something you were looking forward to. 

Also, is this the most recent assassin's creed movie?  Because I am a horrible person and loved it.  

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Hey, at least you have a morning routine. I need to rebuild mine, now that I know that power posing is no longer a thing. I don't really know what to do, so I'll be watching you with great interest.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, PinkNinja said:

I need to quit with excuses. So many of you guys workout no matter what, even after crap long days at work or weeks with no day off. I need to just do it. Even if its boring or I'm tired. If my family wants me to come over for dinner, I can workout first. They eat so freaking late, I won't be holding anyone up.

I mean... it's. Like. It's just a habit at this point. It's a habit composed of two parts - one part being that I train as opposed to working out, meaning I have an end goal that I'm trying to reach rather than just moving to make myself tired. It's easier that way - it doesn't matter whether I'm going for a bigger squat or for a freestanding handstand. If I have a target to aim at, then everything is consequential. How I eat, how I sleep, how I move, everything matters because everything feeds into the end result either to bring me closer or farther away.

And the truth is, it doesn't take much. You can compress a lot of training into a little bit of time if you figure out what you need and dedicate that time to just that thing. I've noticed that applies across just about every kind of program - you do want the time to practice and achieve excellence, but those longer times make the shorter times possible.

Just food for thought.

The other part is that psychologically, the movement feels good. It feels good to remind myself that no matter what happened to me in a day, at the end of it I still have a certain baseline capability that they can't take from me.

So even with less than ideal circumstances, I still made my bed (in that I folded the blanket and rolled up the sleep pad and then did yoga with my new, thicker yoga mat that I really like. I also spent 90 seconds (I decided to start small) meditating. Then I took Papaw home and he sent me to get us cheeseburgers and drinks. I got us each a route 44 ice water and did not get fries/tots/onion rings for myself. 

I'm going to do at least one round of my bodyweight workout before I crash.

• Like 1

For the record, I did all three rounds of my bodyweight workout. Go me. 

I'm getting better at knee push-ups. Time to add in full push-ups. 

Fed me. Fed the lizard. I'm about to hit the hay.

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

- one part being that I train as opposed to working out, meaning I have an end goal that I'm trying to reach rather than just moving

When I first read this, I was like "but I don't have anything to train for anymore" 

I miss martial arts, badly. The things I want to do and train for are so far out of my reach that I feel silly trying for them. 

BUT I do have stuff to train for!! And I need to get with it! I have a warrior dash in October, still might be going to the police academy, and I need to get ready for my next red card test. And I act like that just because I moved out of the mountains I'm never gonna home again, but that's not true, I've just been to busy to go anywhere but that'll change this fall. 

So I really need to work on warrior dash and law enforcement training. Which is similar, really, and if I add running to what I'm doing, will be exactly what I need. 

• Like 3

+1 to the idea of Training VS Working Out.  Training for something is (usually) fun.  Working out.... is not.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

My guy and the little one left yesterday. I spent today cleaning house and catching up on laundry. I also have all three meals prepped for 3 days and breakfast & dinner prepped for an additional 3. 

I did ok on food while they were here. I did lots of walking and some swimming. I only missed one morning if my morning routine, and that was the morning after my niece spent the night to hang out with the little one. They woke me up way earlier than I was prepared for so we could make pancakes and then go swimming. :)

Back to the real world & work tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I missed all of my morning routine this morning, including the part I was going to add, EXCEPT I made my bed. I woke up too late.

I was woken up at 2 a.m. by our new seasonal ranger because some people were at his house, angry that they didn't have electricity at their campsite (poor guy has never worked in a park before and no one warned him that people do that).

1 hour ago, PinkNinja said:

I missed all of my morning routine this morning, including the part I was going to add, EXCEPT I made my bed. I woke up too late.

I was woken up at 2 a.m. by our new seasonal ranger because some people were at his house, angry that they didn't have electricity at their campsite (poor guy has never worked in a park before and no one warned him that people do that).

Sometimes this is good enough, the feeling of seeing your bed made after a long day always makes me feel proud =D

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

That sucks that you got woken up. hopefully it wasn't a "since I"m up someone else should be too" 

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Wait so people go camping and expect electricity? Are they RV'ing? (I'm trying to remember if I've asked this before, and if I have, I apologize).

My guess would be RV, I've known people who think camping is anything less than somewhere without room service. Though personally a tent and some stars is good for me!

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Wait so people go camping and expect electricity? Are they RV'ing? (I'm trying to remember if I've asked this before, and if I have, I apologize).

2 hours ago, Toshimi said:

My guess would be RV, I've known people who think camping is anything less than somewhere without room service. Though personally a tent and some stars is good for me!

or if there are sites with cabins that have electricity, that could do it.  Ah yes, I have heard of this non-room service (glamping?) business. I usually like having flush toilets around, but I'm a diva.  I thought the point of camping was to get away from electronics. .

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse