• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Joins the Aesir

All-of-Asgard-e1410443223168.jpg

This is what happens when you have been reading both American Gods and Norse Mythology.  You start imagining you can rock it with the Norse Gods.  Also it helped me limit what I wanted to do.  Kinda.  Overall, my goals and Big Why have been wobbling for a long, long time when it came to things outside of the dojo and the mat.  I am starting to think up new Whys and that's allowing me to hone in on goals a bit more than I've really been able to in a long while.  The very-much-reduced stress level of mine has been a huge help, and how conveniently work is located to everything in my life is also kind of amazing and helpful.

1) Feast of Valhalla: Mostly Primal eating, with Intermittent Fasting on Social/Provided food days.

So I've been working on dialing my diet back in.  Partially this is because with a new job, I can afford to go out and be social, and also because I'm now introduced to so much extra food at work.  By and large that last part is still not terrible - of all the places I've worked this place has the healthiest food options.  Couple of sugary granola bars, but I actually need the carbs at this point, and snacking on one or two isn't terrible.  And once a week they provide lunch (yesterday was delicious Indian food), which so far has only been pizza once.

Aim is for like, 85% Primal-approved things most days.  Days where I know I'm going to be social or provided food I want to fast a bit in the morning just to offset that stuff.  Though my current workout routine "fast" should probably be in quotes, since I'll drink a protein shake post-lifting I think.

2) Gaze of Odin: Track all food and exercise.  Take Progress Photos once a week.

odin_by_design_by_humans-d8uyqd7.jpg

Odin sacrificed his eye to gain wisdom and vision.  I need to take a bit of a step back and track things a bit more diligently again.  The food I've always been good at, but I also usually skimped adding in the exercise I did, because hey, bigger deficit to work with, amirte?  Turns out that's a terrible idea.  I spent the last 9 months working towards being okay with eating more food.... by eating a bit too much food.  I'm ~10 pound over where I was before Camp NF, and definitely much softer in areas I don't want to be soft in.  So I set my MFP to a BMR of 2400, and will track my exercise.  I am allowed a deficit of only up to 500 calories per day.  Any larger deficit and I am required to eat something.  Going over is actually also okay.  If I need the food I need the food.  The fact I'm okay with regularly eating 3,000 calories and feel okay with that should be seen as an amazing feat for those who've seen me wrestle with my weight and worries about getting fat again.  But I've been feeling good the last couple days in this dry run of mine.  So I'm feeling hopeful.

3) Might of Thor: Alternate twice-a-week and four-times-a-week lifting routines.

tumblr_m726xuQ0701rsy50k.gif

Clearly Thor has the muscle, even if he doesn't have many brains.  So I am kind of cheating here I guess.  I was gifted two different lifting programs specifically for me, both of which take into account aikido AND November project.  One is twice a week, for my classical Monday-Friday lifting plans.  The other is a 4-times-a-week deal, because at the time I wasn't sure how terrible traffic was and if I would just decided to get a gym membership near my work and then just lift early in the morning to avoid traffic.  Turns out traffic isn't terrible, but I've been doing the 4x week program this week and I don't actually mind it that much.  That said, I can see myself burning out, which is where the rotation comes in.

The 4x week lets me work on volume and conditioning.  The 2x a week is more full body.  Also the 2x a week allows me two days of sleeping past 0530, which I kind of like.  It also means I won't feel crazy if suddenly I have to miss a workout.  Hell, the way the workouts are planned, if I can only make 3 on a 4x week, I can always do two of the 4x workouts and then one of the full body ones.  Lots of flexibility that I can play with.

3) The Plots of Loki: Adulting Duties and Chores

giphy.gif

• Declutter the apartment, 5 minutes per day
  • Get car serviced/fixed
  • Get car inspected
  • Set up an instagram for the dojo
  • Get at least two postings done on IG for the dojo
  • Write up a proposal for a Beginner Aikido Seminar series course for the Dojo board
  • Dinner with the work team at the Boss' house (7/12)
  • Good Riddance bye Party for BigM (7/15)
  • Probably some other things I forgot, but may or may not update

The plotter and schemer of the Aesir, multiple plots always running through his life.  Loki just gets into trouble, but has been known to be surprisingly helpful to his adopted family.  He is chaos, but a chaos that gets thing accomplished.  I'm keeping this list small, but I have some big stuff things that NEED to be done by the end of the challenge.  Notably I want to rip my apartment apart and declutter it, and I need car stuff done.  So, those get the top of the list.

And so there's that.  An actually fairly simple challenge for me.  Time to rock this World.

• Like 5

Two aikido classes this morning, and even some early chores. Yet I feel so relaxed right now. 

I woke up, had coffee and read, and went to class and made it in time for two whole classes, not a partial first one. Couple of interesting thoughts going though my head today.

First, I think I know what I want to really target on my shodan exam. First kyu was a lot of focus on technique variation and proper ending stance (the latter being a huge deal as our ending stance is a very Kanai-Sensei style thing). For shodan, I want to work on posture (which I was working on closer to my first kyu exam), but also I really want to dramatize my hip usage. Because I feel it's the weakest thing for me and I think I need to over play it for now to show I know it exists, and pull back on it later. 

Secondly, I'm trying to figure out if a recurring motion of mine is me developing my own aikido, or just a bad habit. I've been noticing that when I slip or misjudge distance on Ikkyo/Nikkyo/Sankyo/arm bar things, I instinctually end up grasping onto uke's gi. Now grabbing ses all sorts of tension on my end, but utilizing my forearms and biceps. BUT the way I'm grabbing is the "Aikido" way, with my pinky, ring, and middle fingers, which leaves my bicep seemingly disengaged. It gives me control of the use fairly easily (because I'm typically just behind the elbow and extended), and I feel as though I flow fine into the rest of the technique. And if I am *not* flowing into the technique, I'm at least doing a similar throw and maintaining my position against uke. So I don't know. It's either a bad habit I need to squash, or Something Else. 

And finally, I need to find a way to deal with people who are Full Cups better. You know Full Cup people - the ones who claim they want to learn, and then keep doing what they have historically done/have been taught to do. I was paired with one of our Full Cups today while practicing nikkyo. For starters his ukemi is kind of crap, partially just from injury, but mostly because he just does what he wants. But more infuriatingly every time I try to work with him, he just makes excuses why *his* way is Totally Fine. Today he tried telling me it was okay that his nikkyo caused pain - immediately afterward the instructor had stopped the entire class to explain that nikkyo ideally shouldn't cause pain ( @Oramac, legit was what I wrote about the other day). When I tried pointing out things for Full Cup to alter so it wouldn't cause as much pain on my end, he just told me how there always was going to be pain and that's how it's done (and that the instructor could do it because he did something differently). Uh. No dude. That was the entire point of the class stopping to watch. AND I was the uke for the demo - I was in no pain. I might have a good idea on how it feels if you slowed the fuck down and tried something else. *Ahem* And so I was getting annoyed. And I realized that Full Cups are people I'm going to have to deal with, and probably have to teach in he future. So I should find a way to manage myself and hopefully them. 

After er class I helped another student prep for her first kyu exam. This is one of those interesting scenarios where she is actually my senior (complete with being a member of the dojo board), a rank below me, and often defers to my knowledge of aikido. So it's strange for me. But working with her and I'll be her uke in August so she can be shown throwing someone twice her size across the mat. It'll be fun. 

Um, pseudo-challenge wise things are going well. Tracked all of my food this week so far (including a lot of pizza), but still managed to be reasonably around where I should be after taking into account workouts. Yesterday and Wednesday were a bit high, but only by like 200 calories or so. Still definitely in a deficit, as my gut measurement dropped half an inch, probably from the deficit and getting back on food track. Four lifting workouts, six hours of aikido classes, and one NP workout this week. And the aikido is less only because I needed to get a new bed set up. 

Oh yea. Guys, I have a new bed. It's a queen sized foam mattress. I've needed a new bed for SO LONG. I always said I wouldn't buy a new bed until I moved out of this apartment or Company moved in. But my brother and brother-in-law are moving, and needed to get rid of their bed. So I didn't actually BUY a new bed. Just acquired it. But I spent Thursday night cleaning my room and reorganizing it to accommodate the new bed. If I'm not lazy I'll upload a picture later. It actually makes the room feel more open, oddly enough. I'm very pleased with how it came out. 

I just need to keep decluttering the apartment, now. >,<

• Like 5

Full Cups can be the worst sometimes. I say that as someone who has those tendencies from time to time.

I mean, I sympathize because you don't want to throw out the things that work in the name of bullshido. That road leads to shit like Kyusho-jutsu and no-hand knockouts and just being really really suggestible. I sympathize with people who enter into a dojo with the idea of not being taken by that kind of thing.

But, at the same time, you don't want to be stubborn to the point of stupidity either, which I suspect is what a truly Full Cup is like.

So... yeah. I reckon, dude'll wind up selecting himself out if he's really eager to just get hurt all the time. He'll either learn how to not get hurt, or he'll hurt himself to the point he can't learn anymore. If that's really what he wants, he'll find a way to make that happen. It's just. Like you said. Something you'll have to learn to deal with.

• Like 2

This whole "Full Cup" discussion feels like an extension of the meta-conversation that Kishi and I have been having over the past few weeks =)

We don't see a whole lot of them at my Kung Fu school so far--generally what we get are total beginners who are very reluctant to give themselves fully into an exercise, or are intensely afraid of some part of it. I understand a lot of that, because I have this thing about being upside-down in which I fucking hate it. I just do not like being inverted. It makes me feel weird and uncomfortable and bleh.

HOWEVER--Sifu has told some stories about encountering this kind of people. He had a "sensei" approach him at one point asking to learn our "Iron Wire" form (which is like a 20-minute self-conditioning form that may or may not have some weird legends surrounding it). The sensei said he already had the form, but wanted to learn it better. Sifu agreed, and when they met up... well, the guy thought that Iron Wire was about 5 movements long. What he thought was "Iron Wire" was actually about two segments taken from the 'Dragon' section of our Five Animals form. And he refused to believe otherwise when Sifu kindly informed him that what he had learned was basically... nothing, and that Iron Wire is actually something that is at least 10-15 minutes long and requires the utmost concentration.

So, yeah. Once more, I shall be very interested to follow along as you learn to deal with these interesting folks. :D 

• Like 2

How Not To Be A Full Cup: A Story. 

In class this evening. I'm working with Full Cup, playing with a few things, namely atemi waza. The instructor, a sixth dan who has been practicing for 45 years and is one of the senior most board members (and honestly I think she really wears the pants for the dojo admin), watches us and ponders if the atemi slows things down too much or could cause accidents issues - presumably from watching his not have a solid technique. Proceeds to play using Full Cup to answer the issue. Comes to her conclusion and gives her opinion/lecture on the matter. Full Cup proceeded to "But Actually"/Mansplain to her that if this were a REAL fight... yadda yadda yadda.

i could SEE in her eyes the laughter. Like the "Oh, right, you think you know everything" light. And she engaged him for a bit, watched as he just couldn't get off his (flawed) premise, and then just laughed it off while walking away saying "work on it and figure it out."

And that is how a Sixth Dan aikidoka deals with a Full Cup. 

Also after class she took me and the only other senior student in class aside, apologized for the slower class (just a basics class, still solid), and how she had planned to do some "Wild ushiro techniques." However, she said, the "setting was not quite right." Read: Too many people who would hurt themselves or others. 

So she gave us a mini mini private lesson after class. And laughed as we got confused. And then said it was okay - she's trying to share with us data that's about 10 years ahead of where we are, and she's trying to give us shortcuts to it. 

And this is is why I practice, even with Full Cups showing up. 

• Like 5

So food tracking today is going to be a nightmare, when I get to the dojo for the Fourth of July potluck, but so far today I've had about 2600 calories.  I tried eating less today, but I lifted this morning and also was at my desk a lot doing planning work.  Food at home was honestly worse than the food I had at work.  I blame eating the excess deviled egg filling I created.  Not going to stop me from fully enjoying the food I will get at the dojo, however.

That said, I decided to make my life easier and skip NP tomorrow.  Work is going to require me to be on my game mentally, so I'd rather sleep a little bit extra.  That said, I'm probably going to go to the dojo in the morning for the early class.  Get SOME movement in, but not enough that my brain will be melty as soon as I walk in the door at work and require a bit more of a boot up than usual.  But I'm definitely in good graces at work right now - not only did I work most of today (which apparently I didn't need to do - the boss said she figured I'd log the hours and get paid for them anyway), the results I pulled out are wonderful.  And make the week much less stressful.  So huzzah!  I get paid AND show I'm damn good at what I do.  And that I don't mind science hours.

Came home around 2:30, and then promptly fell asleep for like 2 hours.  I never nap, really, so it was good to just unwind this way.  Then I made deviled eggs for the dojo potluck firework viewing party.  Also, know a great use for left over deviled egg filling?  Veggies.  I used everything left over as a spread for the red bell pepper I sliced up, and it was glorious.

Then spent some time doing *gasp* actual Guild Leader things.  I've been so stressed since December of 2015 I let those duties slip a bit.  Mainly I was nuking spam outside the guild, but I figure I can start trying to poke my head back into people's threads and see what is going on.  @Kishi still does it better because of his TARDIS, but us mere mortals can pull some of our weight.

Also, I signed up for not one, but TWO Japanese language courses.  Duolingo has a Japanese course on the phone, and I downloaded Mango Languages and will get that through my public library.  So I can finally start learning that stuff, too.  I'll end up doing it in my down time between spins at work, or while waiting for people to arrive at the dojo.  Seems like a good plan, right?

Anyway, hope everyone is having a happy Fourth of July in the US.  The rest of you can bugger off.  Cuz MERICA. :P

• Like 2

On 6/29/2017 at 8:43 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Good Riddance bye Party for BigM (7/15)

Ugggh. I wish this were still true. I am bad at planning. Maybe like move this back two weeks? 

Also you have reminded me that I too need to acquire a new bed. But they are sooooo expensive. And me and my bed have....history...of good times. I envy your restful nights ahead

P.S I am enjoying your codenames for real life people.  

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

Ugggh. I wish this were still true. I am bad at planning. Maybe like move this back two weeks? 

So you're saying a party you organized and started you're bailing on?  Why does this sound familiar.... *cough*Nerdvasion*cough*

Also you have reminded me that I too need to acquire a new bed. But they are sooooo expensive. And me and my bed have....history...of good times. I envy your restful nights ahead

I won't lie, sleep has been wonderful.  I've needed a new frame more than a mattress, really, but the whole newness of it is nice.  Only downside is it's an older memory foam mattress, so it's more toasty than I'm used to.  Might have to look into ways to relieve that.

P.S I am enjoying your codenames for real life people.  

You even missed most of my Goober Brigade stories.  They were the historical people I bitched and moaned about most here.

Quick update before I head into the lab.  Decided I'm kind of IF-ing today.  Also I'm okay with eating at a significant deficit, because I ate so much stuff at the dojo party last night that I really just don't feel like eating.  I also slept in and skipped NP, which is rare.  But I need to be on my A-game today at work with a lot of moving parts flying around, so I "slept in."  By which I mean I just slept my normal amount of hours (about 6.5-7.5) because of how late I went to bed and had a nice morning over a cup of coffee and a book (a Marcus Aurelius biography that I've been meaning to read for ages).  Turns out that was a good idea - today has gone so much more smoothly because of the choice.

Um.... probably aikido tonight rather than my now-typical self-care Wednesday night, just for some form of movement.  I don't have to worry about lunch stuff tomorrow, and I have enough pre-chopped veggies in bags I can grab in the morning that snacks aren't a big deal.  Hell, I doubt I'll even eat all my lunch today anyway.

Gonna keep the good day vibes going on. :)

• Like 2

I had a morning routine the past four days before going back to work. It was nice. I can see the appeal.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 1:23 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

And finally, I need to find a way to deal with people who are Full Cups better. You know Full Cup people - the ones who claim they want to learn, and then keep doing what they have historically done/have been taught to do. I was paired with one of our Full Cups today while practicing nikkyo. For starters his ukemi is kind of crap, partially just from injury, but mostly because he just does what he wants. But more infuriatingly every time I try to work with him, he just makes excuses why *his* way is Totally Fine. Today he tried telling me it was okay that his nikkyo caused pain - immediately afterward the instructor had stopped the entire class to explain that nikkyo ideally shouldn't cause pain ( @Oramac, legit was what I wrote about the other day). When I tried pointing out things for Full Cup to alter so it wouldn't cause as much pain on my end, he just told me how there always was going to be pain and that's how it's done (and that the instructor could do it because he did something differently). Uh. No dude. That was the entire point of the class stopping to watch. AND I was the uke for the demo - I was in no pain. I might have a good idea on how it feels if you slowed the fuck down and tried something else. *Ahem* And so I was getting annoyed. And I realized that Full Cups are people I'm going to have to deal with, and probably have to teach in he future. So I should find a way to manage myself and hopefully them. 

Wow!  I'm late to the party.  Thanks for the explanation.  Hopefully I'm not the Full Cup Guy.  Or, at least, I try not to be.  

In any case, I'm here and following now! 

• Like 1

I love your challenge theme. :)

On 7/3/2017 at 7:28 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

i could SEE in her eyes the laughter. Like the "Oh, right, you think you know everything" light. And she engaged him for a bit, watched as he just couldn't get off his (flawed) premise, and then just laughed it off while walking away saying "work on it and figure it out."

And that is how a Sixth Dan aikidoka deals with a Full Cup. 

Also after class she took me and the only other senior student in class aside, apologized for the slower class (just a basics class, still solid), and how she had planned to do some "Wild ushiro techniques." However, she said, the "setting was not quite right." Read: Too many people who would hurt themselves or others. 

So she gave us a mini mini private lesson after class. And laughed as we got confused. And then said it was okay - she's trying to share with us data that's about 10 years ahead of where we are, and she's trying to give us shortcuts to it. 

This is why the correct answer is always "Yes, sensei". The thing is that 6th dans don't look different from anyone else. A lot of the time they look older and creakier, because their bodies have racked up the miles. Then they demonstrate a move at full speed and you see what is hiding under that calm exterior.

On 7/4/2017 at 7:41 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

But I'm definitely in good graces at work right now - not only did I work most of today (which apparently I didn't need to do - the boss said she figured I'd log the hours and get paid for them anyway), the results I pulled out are wonderful.  And make the week much less stressful.  So huzzah!  I get paid AND show I'm damn good at what I do.  And that I don't mind science hours.

Yay! Yay for having a job where you get to use your science skills AND they appreciate you!

On 7/4/2017 at 7:41 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Also, I signed up for not one, but TWO Japanese language courses.  Duolingo has a Japanese course on the phone, and I downloaded Mango Languages and will get that through my public library.  So I can finally start learning that stuff, too.  I'll end up doing it in my down time between spins at work, or while waiting for people to arrive at the dojo.  Seems like a good plan, right?

I've really been enjoying the Duolingo French course. It starts off with easy stuff, but does a great job of reinforcing what you have already learned as you move into it. I'm not sure how it will deal with learning a totally new set of characters. French has a lot of cognates with English. Having a more conversation-intensive course would be a good way to balance the mostly written exercises of Duolingo.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:44 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

I won't lie, sleep has been wonderful.  I've needed a new frame more than a mattress, really, but the whole newness of it is nice.  Only downside is it's an older memory foam mattress, so it's more toasty than I'm used to.  Might have to look into ways to relieve that.

Quick update before I head into the lab.  Decided I'm kind of IF-ing today.  Also I'm okay with eating at a significant deficit, because I ate so much stuff at the dojo party last night that I really just don't feel like eating.  I also slept in and skipped NP, which is rare.  But I need to be on my A-game today at work with a lot of moving parts flying around, so I "slept in."  By which I mean I just slept my normal amount of hours (about 6.5-7.5) because of how late I went to bed and had a nice morning over a cup of coffee and a book (a Marcus Aurelius biography that I've been meaning to read for ages).  Turns out that was a good idea - today has gone so much more smoothly because of the choice.

Excellent that you have a new bed and better sleep. :D There are some mattress covers that advertise cool gel surfaces. I've never tried one, since being too warm is not my usual complaint.

Nice adapting and going with the flow. I've seen other advice that it is better to fast the day after a feast than the day before. That way you are not super-hungry going into the feast day, and can enjoy the treats without overindulging too much. The next day your body knows you have plenty of calories.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2017 at 0:13 PM, Kishi said:

Full Cups can be the worst sometimes. I say that as someone who has those tendencies from time to time.

I mean, I sympathize because you don't want to throw out the things that work in the name of bullshido. That road leads to shit like Kyusho-jutsu and no-hand knockouts and just being really really suggestible. I sympathize with people who enter into a dojo with the idea of not being taken by that kind of thing.

But, at the same time, you don't want to be stubborn to the point of stupidity either, which I suspect is what a truly Full Cup is like.

So... yeah. I reckon, dude'll wind up selecting himself out if he's really eager to just get hurt all the time. He'll either learn how to not get hurt, or he'll hurt himself to the point he can't learn anymore. If that's really what he wants, he'll find a way to make that happen. It's just. Like you said. Something you'll have to learn to deal with.

I think I tend to swing too far in both directions. On one hand, I have Mr. Know-It-All tendencies, mostly because of people (who are just like how I was 10 years ago, and probably still to this day) giving me lectures, usually on something they have limited knowledge and personal investment on that they read about on Bodybuilding.com, and I'm just not big enough to let it go. On the other hand I recognize this and try to keep an open mind/play Devil's Advocate on virtually everything that I end up drinking way too many people's Kool Aid.

You can reassure yourself by leaning on the fact that you have a Master's Degree on something, but who doesn't these days?

xb4j97gnieky.png

I don't know. Life is confusing.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 8:41 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Also, know a great use for left over deviled egg filling?  Veggies.  I used everything left over as a spread for the red bell pepper I sliced up, and it was glorious.

giphy.gif

Duuuude.

I'm sorry to hear about the full-cup people, but your Sixth Dan seemed to know exactly what to do with him (which was a great read).  I guess there are know-it-all jerks in everything.

On 7/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

But I need to be on my A-game today at work with a lot of moving parts flying around, so I "slept in."  By which I mean I just slept my normal amount of hours (about 6.5-7.5) because of how late I went to bed and had a nice morning over a cup of coffee and a book (a Marcus Aurelius biography that I've been meaning to read for ages).  Turns out that was a good idea - today has gone so much more smoothly because of the choice.

Um.... probably aikido tonight rather than my now-typical self-care Wednesday night, just for some form of movement.  I don't have to worry about lunch stuff tomorrow, and I have enough pre-chopped veggies in bags I can grab in the morning that snacks aren't a big deal.  Hell, I doubt I'll even eat all my lunch today anyway.

Gonna keep the good day vibes going on. :)

That sounds like an A+++ method of staying on top of things.  Very impressive levels of being the boss of your flow. 

• Like 1

Quick update before the work day, since the challenge officially started yesterday, but I did an emergency 

ODIN: Took my progress photos, and honestly I think it's the first time I've seen a difference in pictures so close together EVER.  Not much of one, but there is a slight difference - and other metrics match up as well.  My stomach is at 36.25 inches right now, rather than the 36.75-37 inches a few weeks ago.  My weight is currently at 211.6, which is a 3.5 pound difference from when I started.  AND I'm eating much more.  And feeling gains.  So huzzah!  Also, it's REALLY hard to eat all your calories back when you start the day with a 5-mile, 1,700 calorie-burning ruck.  Thankfully I created Almond Joy fat bombs.  Kinda solves that problem.

THOR: I actually have found I LIKE lifting 4x a week.  But I do think I need at least "rest" day.  So I think instead of dropping to twice a week, I'm going to go down to three times a week.  Ideally, that free day will be Thursday.  It'll allow me to selfcare Wednesday night, and sleep in a bit extra to draw that benefit out a bit more.  That, and I can read Thursday morning and be content.  But feeling good on this front.

LOKI:  Errrrr..... I think I've been tidying things each day?  My bedroom looks fairly clean, I just still need to move the old mattress into the basement.  I have been doing lots of sweeping lately.  But I seriously need to get moving on the car stuff.  Like, now.

Hokay.  Time for work.

• Like 2

Nice! Looks like a strong start so far, and it looks like your body is responding well to the changes. And also glad to hear that you like lifting that much. Weeks where that can happen are fun. I hope that continues for you.

And yes, we both have to clean. -_- Right, then.

15 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Almond Joy fat bombs

Instruct me in these.  I find I need about a thousand calories a day that I have a hard time getting.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

And yes, we both have to clean. -_- Right, then.

Ugh.  Cleaning is the worst.  But I am at least keeping the drying rack next to my sink free now?

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Instruct me in these.  I find I need about a thousand calories a day that I have a hard time getting.

It was a bit shooting-by-the-hip, buttttt....

Almond Joy Fat Bombs

2 oz 100% cacao chocolate

~25-50mL milk/almondmilk

2 oz Coconut butter

2 tablespoons Almond flour (honestly, replace this with sliced almonds, it'll be better)

Sweetener of choice (I just used some liquid splenda)

Silicon tray (I have a 6-cube mix, and this made 4 of the squares)

1) Chop the chocolate roughly, add the bit of milk and sweetener (as desired)

2) Correct way - Place in a double boiler, melt chocolate to a ganache.  Quick way - Nuke the chocolate-milk mixture in 10 second intervals, mixing between (I over-nuked mine, so it became more of a chocolate putty, which I pushed into the molds instead of pouring...)

3) Pour in the ganache in the molds evenly

4) On the ganache, place down a layer of Almonds

5) Warm the coconut butter (and mix in sweetener if needed)

6) Pour evenly on top of the ganache-almond layers

7) Place in freezer until solid

Pretty tasty, and a quick 200 calories when you do it this way.  And I *think* these should be pretty room temp-stable, because the ganache and the solids in the coconut butter should give a sturdy structure.  This is not the case with, you know, coconut oil, which will liquify at room temp if too hot.  Like, I dunno.  Being left in a hot car for a bit too long.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Pretty tasty, and a quick 200 calories when you do it this way.

It's barely worth putting anything in my mouth for that few calories.  I'm not kidding when I say I'm habitually 1000 calories under at the end of the day.  But unlike most things made out of fat, the chocolate and coconut probably makes it possible to eat more than one...

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's barely worth putting anything in my mouth for that few calories.  I'm not kidding when I say I'm habitually 1000 calories under at the end of the day.  But unlike most things made out of fat, the chocolate and coconut probably makes it possible to eat more than one...

I mean, changing the ratios and portion sizes aren't that tricky.  You could make two of those instead of 4 and have 400 calorie blocks.  Or add more nuts.  Or more chocolate.  Or coconut butter.  I was keeping it small because 1) it was an experiment and 2) I'm still very much paranoid about large portion sizes since that's what made me a fat kid to begin with.  I cop my veggies and larger fruits up REALLY small so I get to keep feeling like I'm eating more than I actually am.  Kind do the same for fat bombs.

Uhhh... challenge things.  Been eating about 3200 calories a day, assuming about 700-ish calorie burned for an hour of lifting, and another 200-400 for an hour or two of aikido.  I've also been much less paranoid about seeing red numbers.  They're getting brushed off because 1) over all I'm still in a deficit, and most of the time they are happening at night and I'm just pleased that I should feel pretty energized for the next morning's workout.

Tonight I'm being social with my boss and work group, having dinner at the Boss' house.  I'm going to make deviled eggs, since they went over well at the dojo Potluck.  I did Stairs this morning, but since I'll be social tonight and probably get home later than I'd like, I'm going to sleep in tomorrow morning (until like 06:30 or something), and then do a full body workout on Friday.  I'm cool with this.  I may or may not do two classes at aikido on Thursday, just because I *was* debating doing the work bi-monthly social.  But I'm seeing things being very social this week, so I may skip that for aikido.  Dunno yet.  Definitely thinking I'll need another recharge Sunday, though.

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Tonight I'm being social with my boss and work group, having dinner at the Boss' house.  I'm going to make deviled eggs, since they went over well at the dojo Potluck.  I did Stairs this morning, but since I'll be social tonight and probably get home later than I'd like, I'm going to sleep in tomorrow morning (until like 06:30 or something), and then do a full body workout on Friday.  I'm cool with this.  I may or may not do two classes at aikido on Thursday, just because I *was* debating doing the work bi-monthly social.  But I'm seeing things being very social this week, so I may skip that for aikido.  Dunno yet.  Definitely thinking I'll need another recharge Sunday, though.

recharge sundays are the best :D

Wow, but that recipe does sound good. And I could see making adjustments for the sake of calories. I'm kind of leery about how well they'd hold up in the heat down here, though, but that's just me being lazy about preparations.

Anyway, glad to see that the numbers aren't bothering you and that things seem to be going according to plan. Also, Sunday recharge sounds awesome. Already. On a Wednesday.

1 hour ago, nightlight said:

recharge sundays are the best :D

They really are.  This past Sunday was beautiful, so the rucking and the porch reading and the coffeeing and the lack-of-talking-with-humansing was just wonderful.

29 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Wow, but that recipe does sound good. And I could see making adjustments for the sake of calories. I'm kind of leery about how well they'd hold up in the heat down here, though, but that's just me being lazy about preparations.

Anyway, glad to see that the numbers aren't bothering you and that things seem to be going according to plan. Also, Sunday recharge sounds awesome. Already. On a Wednesday.

The integrity is partially why I went with coconut butter rather than coconut oil.  Right now, oil will melt.  Coconut butter is pretty hard still.  Ganache is always going to be pretty stable, once it cools again.  So really, if you wanted, you could do a layer of ganache, then the coconut butter, and then another layer of ganache to seal it up, to be safe.  But at room temp they should still be okay.

And yea, a solid self-care day is definitely going to be needed this week.  Because now I'm also hanging out with Nerds on Saturday night.

• Like 1

Dear Body:

Yes, I understand the last two weeks have been stressful with work things and personal things and social things.  But I've been dealing with them fine mentally.  So stop being a dick and inflicting my physical stress response.  It's annoying, makes me chug tea, and doesn't really inform me of anything I didn't already know.

Now I have to skip aikido because being tossed around with a sore throat, gulping for air is not fun.

No Love,

RP

And this is why I don't schedule Rest Days.  Life throws them at me enough. -_-