6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Yes, I understand the last two weeks have been stressful with work things and personal things and social things.  But I've been dealing with them fine mentally.  So stop being a dick and inflicting my physical stress response.  It's annoying, makes me chug tea, and doesn't really inform me of anything I didn't already know.

Now I have to skip aikido because being tossed around with a sore throat, gulping for air is not fun.

My sympathy. My body does the same thing when I push too hard. Physiological limits testing. No fun finding them.

17 hours ago, Mistr said:

My sympathy. My body does the same thing when I push too hard. Physiological limits testing. No fun finding them.

It's really annoying, because before this hit, I was totally okay.  It was one of those "Yes, I am stressed and need self-care stat.  But I can make it to the weekend fine."  Currently my voice has dropped an octave, and I sound like I belong in a metal band.  Which admittedly sounds awesome.  But the not-quite-pain and constant coughing screwed my sleep up, and I have a lot to force my brain to do today.  Hopefully everything goes somewhat smoothly...

I *did* pack gym stuff, so if I miraculously feel better by this afternoon I can head to the gym.  But I doubt it.  Two or three full-stop Rest Days look in the cards for me right now.  Though part of me wonders if the wet sauna at my gym might be good for me.  I HATE wet saunas.  But lots of humidity on my throat might do good.  Or just a really long shower.

Bodies are dumb, is the main take away.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Toshimi said:

I've found Gypsy cold care tea really helps

I've been draining Throat Coat, which is the throat-specific tea made by the same company.  The stuff is magical.  My girlfriend introduced it to me, and now I always have a stock of it just in case something hits me.  I've had an entire box practically in the last 24 hours...

• Like 3
On 7/14/2017 at 8:42 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Bodies are dumb, is the main take away.

Dude, I very nearly got sick at the end of last week too. Came home from work and couldn't hear out of one side, sore throat starting, etc. It seems stupid, but I've started rinsing out my head with the Xlear positive-pressure squirt bottle (boil water, let cool, mix with salt & xylitol, squirt up nose, feel like you're drowning, cough and splutter, repeat) and it's kind of amazing the difference it makes. Pretty sure I've fought off two or three impending sinus infections that way.

Between that and nursing this damn torn knee, "bodies are dumb" is indeed the main takeaway.

Okay, so I am finally feeling better, though still have a bit of a cough going on.  But more or less have recovered.  I went to aikido for an hour on Saturday and Sunday, mainly just to have some movement over the weekend because I was mostly a blob.  Saturday class was probably a dumb idea.  I was still moving really, really slowly, and couldn't really focus well.  Also, I got punched in the eye by the instructor because I didn't move/block fast enough, and he went a biiiiit closer than normal (my grading partner was the one teaching, so he knows my normal abilities and was adjusting to that).  Sunday I felt better, but still only did one class.  I wish I could tell you guys some amazing stories from the weekend's classes, but I was a zombie.  Even at home, I really just read, ate, and played Mass Effect.  And hid.  So much hiding from people.  It was great.

Challenge wise....

1) Eating has been mostly solid.  I've given up on IF during the week, since I'm lifting more, but on the weekend I've been fasting by just not eating until after aikido.  I'm okay with this.  The food this weekend was terrible, well over what I should have eaten.  But I was sick, so I don't care.  And even though it was calorically heavy days, it was still mostly primal food.

2) I've been tracking all the food I can.  Plus I took photos last week and yesterday morning.  And I weighed and measured myself this morning.  Because I felt heavy and bloated.  And of course, I wasn't.  I weighed in a pound less than last weigh in, and my gut was a quarter or an eighth of an inch smaller.  So huzzah rest days?

3) Didn't mean to, but lifted only twice last week.  Plan was for 3 times, but sickness made me decide that sleep was better.  Goal for this week is 4 lifting sessions.

4) Last week was both the dinner with the boss, plus it was supposed to be BigM's going away party (but he was dumb and cancelled his own going away party).  Also last night my roommate thanked me for cleaning the entire apartment, so I guess the 5 minutes of cleaning has been going exactly as planned - I don't feel like I'm doing much, but it shows.  I was planning on doing car stuff this past weekend, but sickness made me say no.  I may try to get things settled this weekend?  Dunno.  I at least got the registration updated on my car.  I really need new tires.  One has a massive slow leak, and the rest are super bald.  So they need to get replaced.

Anyway, end of my lunch break.  Time to get back to the lab.

• Like 3

1) My body apparently is all sorts of stiff and sore. I'm kind of annoyed, because my partner for the first class took my motion as resisting under my control, rather than resistance that I couldn't. So she behaved as though I was actively resisting her the whole time, which annoyed me because it was kind of flaring her arogance that has been pissing me off lately. Also didn't actually mention anything to me until we were OFF the mat. Which kind of cleared stuff up, but it clouded the first class a bit for me. 

2) I was planning on leaving after first class, because sore and stiff and still recovering from things. Instructor had the entire class decided as prep for for the person who's grading in a few weeks for first kyu. I am her uke. So I stayed. It essentially was a rapid-fire cardio class. Ow. 

3) The instructor is downsizing her house, and gave me a live blade sword, because she said I've taken all of this very seriously and she wants it to have a good home. Clearly the important take away from this is now I own a sharp and pointy object. I'm totally safe, guys. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

3) The instructor is downsizing her house, and gave me a live blade sword, because she said I've taken all of this very seriously and she wants it to have a good home. Clearly the important take away from this is now I own a sharp and pointy object. I'm totally safe, guys. 

Do what I do: keep the live blade in an easily-accessible location between your bedroom and the front door for easy access in case of intruders. Of course, yours is probably a katana and mine looks more like this:

3503amj.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

Do what I do: keep the live blade in an easily-accessible location between your bedroom and the front door for easy access in case of intruders. Of course, yours is probably a katana and mine looks more like this:

3503amj.jpg

Honestly I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing.  She said "Sword" and "Want you to have it" and I just said yes.  For all I know it'll sit on MY shelf for 30 years as well.

But, assuming it's a decent sword and I get a tsuba, I will probably be able to use it for iaido.  So one of my major reasons for not doing iaido (swords being expensive and me not wanting to drop that cash yet) just vanished.  Now it's just a matter of "Waking up early enough for class" that I need to contend with.  Especially since I'd have to be at the dojo at 8:45am on Saturday, and these days I'm mostly up at 0530 and my Saturdays I like sleeping in.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you are recovering. My sympathy on zombie days on the mat. I felt totally out of shape on Saturday. It took half the class before I could even do ukemi without feeling clunky. Of course your friends expect you to move the way you usually do. So things get weird when you are slow.

I hear you on getting up early for iaido. I felt like it was a test of my training discipline when I started doing weapons practice at 7:00am on Mondays. It took awhile to become just part of my weekly schedule. You already know you are able to get up early. You do it for November Project every Wednesday. You can do the same thing on Saturdays. Maybe you can reward yourself with a special lunch or extra relaxation time after class Saturdays.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

You already know you are able to get up early. You do it for November Project every Wednesday. You can do the same thing on Saturdays. Maybe you can reward yourself with a special lunch or extra relaxation time after class Saturdays.

That's actually the *problem* with the Saturday morning classes.  I get up for the 10am classes on Sunday usually, so Saturday has historically been my sleep in day.  Because it's the ONLY day I really let myself do that.  I could leave that for Sunday, but after a work week I actually need Saturday to recover.  I'm pressured to make so many schedules and deadlines in my life already, I don't feel like having one more thing forced on me.  Also because if I'm there for a 9am class, it pretty much relegates my ENTIRE day to aikdio/working out.  Every weekend.  And I stopped lifting and aikido together on Saturdays because it became a chore/day eater.

Dunno.  Maybe I'll play around with it, but my schedule was always a bigger demon to the class than the price tag.

9 hours ago, Kyellan said:

3503amj.jpg

Wait... are you telling me there are people in this guild who DON'T do this?

Mine is on what my nightstand. I sometimes touch it by mistake when I'm putting down my glasses.

And yes, it's a katana.

8 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Honestly I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing.  She said "Sword" and "Want you to have it" and I just said yes.  For all I know it'll sit on MY shelf for 30 years as well.

But, assuming it's a decent sword and I get a tsuba, I will probably be able to use it for iaido.  So one of my major reasons for not doing iaido (swords being expensive and me not wanting to drop that cash yet) just vanished.  Now it's just a matter of "Waking up early enough for class" that I need to contend with.  Especially since I'd have to be at the dojo at 8:45am on Saturday, and these days I'm mostly up at 0530 and my Saturdays I like sleeping in.

I feel like I should slap you until you come to your senses. It's iaido!!!! it's kenjutsu! It's basically training with swords! I could wake up at 4 am to train iaido!

1 hour ago, The Shogun said:

I feel like I should slap you until you come to your senses. It's iaido!!!! it's kenjutsu! It's basically training with swords! I could wake up at 4 am to train iaido!

Not basically training with swords. Straight up training with swords. 

But my schedule is packed like i said. I do actually need a rest day, and I typically need it more on saturdays than Sundays. So the timing just sucks. If the class were after aikido or even another day it could be adjusted for much, much easier. I just can easily see this as the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

21 minutes ago, Kishi said:

But it's a good thing when the bad decisions are harder than the good ones... right...?

I was actually thinking about this last night/this morning, in regards to my food choices.  I went to the grocery store after work specifically to get junk food.  I ended up with... Stuffed grape leaves (as a dinner side), a pint of Halo Top (a lower calorie one, at that), and some fresh cut pineapple (because pineapple).  Even when I allowed myself to be free with my eating at home, the worst things I ate was a serving and a half of rosemary olive oil popcorn I like to buy now and again, and two bread rolls which were luxury/spoiling-myself items that have lasted over a week now.  And at the end of it all I was still barely 100 calorie over my daily MFP limit.

So yea.  Life.  So weird.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, The Shogun said:

I'm here for the hairy shirtless pictures of my vanilla bear. =D

I mean... aren't we all though?

5 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Dear Built up habits. Sometimes I hate you. Fine, I'll drag myself to the gym. You jerk. 

Though if it had been raining this morning my bed would have totally won. 

Proud of you!

Glad you've been feeling better!