• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Joins the Aesir

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I was actually thinking about this last night/this morning, in regards to my food choices.  I went to the grocery store after work specifically to get junk food.  I ended up with... Stuffed grape leaves (as a dinner side), a pint of Halo Top (a lower calorie one, at that), and some fresh cut pineapple (because pineapple).  Even when I allowed myself to be free with my eating at home, the worst things I ate was a serving and a half of rosemary olive oil popcorn I like to buy now and again, and two bread rolls which were luxury/spoiling-myself items that have lasted over a week now.  And at the end of it all I was still barely 100 calorie over my daily MFP limit.

So yea.  Life.  So weird.

i've been enjoying sliced mango SO MUCH lately. 

2 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Put some adobo on unripe mango, trust me.

Grilling ripe mango with chili or something with a little spicy to it is great too. 

Interesting switch up for me this morning.  I had a rough Wednesday, and my Thursday started rough.  Gym was hard, I realized I forgot a clean gi, work was just not flowing nicely, etc etc.  So yesterday I went home and puddled.  Did a bit of adulting (hello Bill Payments), ate an excellent meal (Double cheeseburger with waffle cut sweet potato fries?  Oh yes), and just relaxed a bunch.  And I decided that since I missed aikido last night, I would go to the morning class today.  Class runs from 7-8, I work a whole 10 minutes away from the dojo, so I figured it would be a good start to the day.

And holy crap was I right.

Ended up being the only student, and the instructor is one who I really enjoy working with.  He asked what my next exam was (shodan), and did the "Oh, so you need techniques."  I said no.  I had more than enough techniques for first kyu that I can pull out without thinking too much.  I want my posture fixed.  And my hips more engaged.  And my shoulder to stop tightening up.

So the entire class was being beaten to loosen myself up, use as little energy as possible, and make sure things are connected to my center and my hips do all the work.  Pretty much the perfect class that I wanted and needed.  I try working on these things during regular classes, but it's really hard to separate them out when you're also trying to do techniques.  This was all very basic movements that can easily be transferred to other movements in the future.  

Overall, I work too much.  It's not even a result of lifting, like most people tell me is my problem.  It's just basic movement patterns I've used though life, and doing counter intuitive things.  Also, getting my body parts to line up appropriately.  

But it was a fantastic, infuriating class.  Gave me a lot to think about today in my down time.

Also planning on lifting tomorrow morning before I drive down to my parents for a going-away party for my brother and his husband, as they leave the country for at least 3 years while my Brother-in-Law does a PhD abroad.  I don't really want to put up with family, since I need to destress and do some errands, but I suspect this is something I need to attend.  At least I can snuggle with my parents' new dog.

• Like 3

Yay for getting 1:1 attention from a good instructor! That does indeed sound like the perfect start to your day.

My sympathy on the command performance with your family. Even when you like all the people involved, sometimes a social event is just a drain on your time and energy. I hope you can enjoy the good parts and get in some introvert time.

• Like 1

1:1 classes are so cool. It sounds like it gave you a lot to think about; hopefully, you can put it all into practice.

• Like 1

So Friday ended up being a great day.  Partially because the person training me wasn't here, and I was allowed to spread my wings a bit more.  A lot easier to be flexible when you have semi-full knowledge of what is going on, rather than suddenly having something thrust upon you that you were given no notice of whatsoever.  I can be flexible, but they also want me to stay below 40 hours (which hasn't been happening anyway, really), and don't get shit like that means it's really freaking hard to do so.

Anyway.  It was great and relaxing on Friday, despite being busy, and I got out early AND decided to go lifting.  Mainly so I could sleep in and not rush to RI on Saturday morning.

Weekend was actually pretty relaxing, even if the food choices were not so hot.  Oh well.  I ate as well as I could, which included a tiny bit of fasting.  I honestly don't feel as shitty as I normally do when I get back from my parents place, so that's good.

Update for this last week:

1) Feast - Food has been pretty solid.  A couple of non-primal items, but nothing egrarious.  I'm much less worried about eating Primal than I am about tracking calories - at the end of the day I don't mind tracking, and at the end of the day everything is Calories In/Calorie Out.

2) Odin - Tracked everything but the weekend food, plus took my progress photos.  I *do* need to start emailing myself the photos to put into a powerpoint slide for easier visualization/tracking.  

3) Thor - Totally have just jumped on the "Lifting 4x a week" Train.  Lifted 4 times, and honestly the prior week felt weird not lifting four times.  I do think I need to eat a bunch more food on days with double nighttime aikido.  I'm just feeling gassed by the end of the first class usually, and I don't think it's all because of the humidity.

4) Loki - Meh.  Cleaning is going well.  I have a plan to get new tires and whatnot done this coming weekend.  It would have been this past weekend if I hadn't been called down to RI for the going away party.  Everything else is... not going so great.  Though I suppose "Start Learning Japanese" should be on the list now - been doing the Duolingo for 3 weeks straight now, so clearly that's working.  Apparently the "Do tiny amounts of things" works well for me.  I should try using that method more in the future.

• Like 6

So I'm currently exhausted.  I think I need to get to bed a bit earlier.  Something about only getting 6.5-7 hours a sleep a night being potentially detrimental to existence.  Or maybe not eating enough.  Or eating too much of not-so-good things.  Or not enough water.  Or a dozen other potential things.

Also, my coworker had her baby this weekend.  So I'm officially on my own a week ahead of schedule.  Which would be fine, except the woman didn't leave a decent paper trail, and didn't train me in the paperwork side of things - which is more vital in my experience.  So now I'm frantically trying to find where shit is, or how it works, or small documents which might have what I need.

Sigh.  One stressor leaves, another takes its place...

38 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

So I'm currently exhausted.  I think I need to get to bed a bit earlier.  Something about only getting 6.5-7 hours a sleep a night being potentially detrimental to existence.  Or maybe not eating enough.  Or eating too much of not-so-good things.  Or not enough water.  Or a dozen other potential things.

Also, my coworker had her baby this weekend.  So I'm officially on my own a week ahead of schedule.  Which would be fine, except the woman didn't leave a decent paper trail, and didn't train me in the paperwork side of things - which is more vital in my experience.  So now I'm frantically trying to find where shit is, or how it works, or small documents which might have what I need.

Sigh.  One stressor leaves, another takes its place...

My sympathy on your lack of sleep. Sleep deprivation is the root of all evil. Let's vow to fight that evil together!

Ach, the lack of documentation sounds frustrating. I hope your boss is understanding about it all.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2017 at 1:44 PM, Mistr said:

Ach, the lack of documentation sounds frustrating. I hope your boss is understanding about it all.

I've taken control enough of the situation that it at least looks like I'm in the clear.  With the other lab work bits I have, it's not like I haven't been busy, anyway.  And when I'm open and have the time I've been helping coworkers (one off assays that they need for confirmation, helping train the intern, etc etc).  The woman I'm covering for sent an email late last night, and the upside is that I already knew most of the information about the stuff and had started to act on it.  So when the boss replied with "RP is on top of it all :) " I took it as a good sign.  Today is kind of an inhouse conference for the company, so I'm not accomplishing much today, but I have enough threads thrown out that I feel good about it all.  So heres to hoping.

On 7/25/2017 at 1:44 PM, Mistr said:

My sympathy on your lack of sleep. Sleep deprivation is the root of all evil. Let's vow to fight that evil together!

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

Thirded. This is a tough one, but we can do this!

I actually went to bed at 9:30 on Tuesday, and a bit closer to 10 last night (rather than the creeping upwards of 11 I've been seeing lately).  Besides some teasing from Company about how I'm old for going to bed early, it made me feel really good to sleep pretty much a solid 7.5-8 hours the last two nights.  Also the temp and humidity has been way lower than usual, so that's been nice.  Tomorrow I'll hit the hay early, too, because who cares if I go to bed at 10PM on a Friday?  And I get up between 7 and 9am on Saturday these days, so it'll be a nice recharge.

Unrelated - I finished Mass Effect: Andromeda.  I am still confused how it got so much hate (besides those graphics glitches).  The writing isn't amazing, but the story was fairly solid - on par with Mass Effect 2, really, with requiring certain missions before you could continue forward.  Also maybe it's because I eventually decided to skip the quests that looked boring to me, and only focus on the colony outposts and loyalty missions.  But it was certainly a Mass Effect game.  I enjoyed it, though I don't know if I'll go back and replay it as much as the OT, since I can respec whenever I want and have an ungodly amount of points to play with right now.

• Like 3

Today was a mini conference in house at my work. It ended by an extended Happy hour. RP battled a large contingent of introvert tendencies and stayed for a long, long time. 

As a reault my dinner was mostly beer, a sandwich I made when I got home, and some halo top.

Look, I at least didn't make entirely terrible decisions tonight. Except for drinking a Narragansett Dels lemonade lager. That was gross. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Look, I at least didn't make entirely terrible decisions tonight. Except for drinking a Narragansett Dels lemonade lager. That was gross. 

i love the dels shandy D:

34 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i love the dels shandy D:

Ugh.  No.  Just... no.  I grew up drinking Del's Lemonade all during the summer.  That drink was a bastardization of supreme happiness.

Now the Solar Plexus IPA I drank.... THAT was heavenly.  Also 9% alcohol, which I didn't realize until after I drank it and felt tipsy.  Whoops.  It kinda made me more social, I guess?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Ugh.  No.  Just... no.  I grew up drinking Del's Lemonade all during the summer.  That drink was a bastardization of supreme happiness.

Now the Solar Plexus IPA I drank.... THAT was heavenly.  Also 9% alcohol, which I didn't realize until after I drank it and felt tipsy.  Whoops.  It kinda made me more social, I guess?

lol i just have a very particular taste for beer. i do NOT like IPAs! gimme a sour, shandy, or certain lagers :D together we can drink ALL the beer though!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

lol i just have a very particular taste for beer. i do NOT like IPAs! gimme a sour, shandy, or certain lagers :D together we can drink ALL the beer though!

I'm with you on the not being an IPA fan, but I have a different marker of quality: if you can see through the beer when it's in a glass, IT'S NOT BEER! xD It's barley-flavored water at best.

I want those grains toasted dark enough that staring into the glass makes you wonder if the abyss is also gazing into you! :D 

Glad to hear you're handling the work front. Naturally, I am also in a position where the person I am training under has pretty much departed, and I am floundering trying to keep up with everything I'm covering for him and also my own work. I really do enjoy working with our offshore developers in India, though. These guys are awesome, and being the nominal head of the team is weird, but rather satisfying.

As usual, RP work stress = Kyellan work stress, because we are karmically entangled somehow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kyellan said:

As usual, RP work stress = Kyellan work stress, because we are karmically entangled somehow.

It does amaze me how much our lives seem to mimic one another.

My thing is I'm still not sure how much of my own judgement I'm being allowed to use, because almost every time I used my judgement while I was getting trained I was yelled at for "Not doing it right."  Never mind that I have 7 years experience, the data always turned out fine, and any issues I had I made my own self corrections.  *snip* Just getting rid of some ranting.  Moral of the story - I need to remember I'm awesome at what I do, and that shitty training doesn't define me.

• Like 2

I've liked the shandies I've tried as well as certain lagers, ambers, and stouts. It's largely a seasonal thing. The way the heat is right now, stout's a bit too heavy for me to enjoy, but come wintertime I'll want something with some heart in it.

Anyway, I'd like to think the judgment thing will work itself out the longer you last and the more they get to know you. Assuming the job lasts that long.

• Like 2

Quick update before my workday gets crazy.

1) Primalish eating has been more or less okay.  I did the math a few days ago, and I was something like 85% primal foods, and 15% non-Primal fare.  If we talk portions things probably skew closer to the 80-20 stretch, but honestly I'm totally okay with that.  It's what I aim for, and even with junk at work it's a reasonable amount of food.

2) Clearly I've been tracking everything, and I've built up a chunk of progress photos and numbers to play with.  I'm currently 211 pounds, but my gut is just under 36", which is almost an inch below where I started this challenge.  My chest also seems to have dropped a bit of size, in a good way.  I haven't done any of the other measurements, as I'll save them for the end of the challenge . But I'm feeling pretty good, honestly.  Not totally pleased with everything, but better than I felt (mentally) a month ago.

3) I've pretty much been lifting 4 times a week this entire challenge.  I do think this week I'll do only 3 times - I need a slight break.  And next week I'm also thinking I'll only lift twice, since I'm an uke for someone's exam next week.  Need to not be dead from lifting, and I need to be at the dojo as much as this woman so she can practice.  She'll do fine, I'm now just helping her continue the techniques when her brain does something different.  It's for first kyu, so that's more important than the number of techniques, really.

4) Adulting has been terrible, but I did finally buy new tires for my car.  Plan is to get an oil change and it inspected Friday/Saturday this week.  So much money on my car. >.<

And now to work.

• Like 3

EFF YEAH DATA

Glad to hear that things are going well here and that you're getting the results you want.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kishi said:

EFF YEAH DATA

Glad to hear that things are going well here and that you're getting the results you want.

Also good data for you to ruminate on.  We're roughly the same activity level, roughly the same size, and I've been losing slightly or maintaining/body comping eating roughly 3,200 a day.

Lets also point out my victory of I am eating 3200 calories a day and I'm NOT freaking out about eating almost 1,000 calories more than I had been for.... years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Also good data for you to ruminate on.  We're roughly the same activity level, roughly the same size, and I've been losing slightly or maintaining/body comping eating roughly 3,200 a day.

Lets also point out my victory of I am eating 3200 calories a day and I'm NOT freaking out about eating almost 1,000 calories more than I had been for.... years.

I do ruminate on it. I think it's just the magic of the iron, though. Last time I tried to eat a similar amount of food I gained about 10 lbs, and now that I'm no longer doing weights, even down around 2200-2300 I'm still maintaining that. At 2500 I was still gaining bad weight, but at this level, the weight stays within daily fluctuation and the measurements move again in the way I want them to.

Bodies, man. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nightlight said:

Adulting is hard. :(

Seriously.  It's stupid hard.  And my family really doesn't understand I need my weekends to DO the adulting, since no one else is going to pick up the slack for me.  And then they get annoyed/sad/mad I won't drop everything to spend the weekend in another state with them.  Where they then tell me I need to do the adulting things. *shakes head*

I'm playing with the idea of trying to start buying things that save me time.  Apparently grocery delivery to my apartment is only about $10 a trip.  That's.... kind of tempting, if I'm running around a lot that week.  Something that frees up 2 or more hours of time is... really, really appealing.  I may try an attempt at that this weekend just to see how I make out.  Probably not an "Every week" item, but maybe one that's good to have under my belt.

27 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I do ruminate on it. I think it's just the magic of the iron, though. Last time I tried to eat a similar amount of food I gained about 10 lbs, and now that I'm no longer doing weights, even down around 2200-2300 I'm still maintaining that. At 2500 I was still gaining bad weight, but at this level, the weight stays within daily fluctuation and the measurements move again in the way I want them to.

Bodies, man. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do think the iron is magic, but I think the extended eat-more-than-I-need/weight gain was probably what was needed, first.  That, and since I've been more accurately tracking my exercise calories, it's been a bit easier for my body I think to recover.  

Anyway, stuff I know you and I do stupidly similar and both of us should think about.

• Like 3