• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Joins the Aesir

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I'm playing with the idea of trying to start buying things that save me time.  Apparently grocery delivery to my apartment is only about $10 a trip.  That's.... kind of tempting, if I'm running around a lot that week.  Something that frees up 2 or more hours of time is... really, really appealing.  I may try an attempt at that this weekend just to see how I make out.  Probably not an "Every week" item, but maybe one that's good to have under my belt.

Something that I've been doing that has saved a lot of time is buying meat when I can in bulk, Putting marinades on it then freezing, That way there's something quick/easy I can take out  and have. it's saved a lot of time/hassle, and one of the 4 marinades I tried was actually great! (the other 3 weren't bad, just didn't really do much for the chicken) 

Sometimes doing things to make it easier are worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toshimi said:

Something that I've been doing that has saved a lot of time is buying meat when I can in bulk, Putting marinades on it then freezing, That way there's something quick/easy I can take out  and have. it's saved a lot of time/hassle, and one of the 4 marinades I tried was actually great! (the other 3 weren't bad, just didn't really do much for the chicken) 

Sometimes doing things to make it easier are worth it in the end. 

My batch cooking lately has been McCormick seasoning blends + bulk chicken, in my instant pot for 15-20 minutes.  And then I decided to be extra lazy, and have been taking out the meat and using the remaining liquid to make rice (I've been getting 2-4 cups of stock from my chicken cooking, so I add some water and then 2 cups of rice, and viola!  Starch cooked for the week!).  It's probably a good thing I don't mind eating the same meal over and over again....

• Like 4

Guys, I did something weird.

I decided to skip NP this morning.  And tonight is no aikido.  AND tomorrow morning I'm sleeping in again.  That's like, a whole rest day and a half!

Honestly, I need it.  My knees are creaky, and going up and down stairs would not be good for them right now.  Last night at the dojo I could barely pick myself up off the floor I was so exhausted, and that was with eating almost 2400 calories before I even set foot on the mat.  So calorically I was doing fine, muscles, not so much.  And the entire class was me helping prep for my friend's exam where I'm her uke - so I just took like an hour straight of ukemi, running around like a crazy person.  It was good and enjoyable, but I was dead when the class was done.  So I only did one class, and then went home and took it easy, a little massaging/foam rolling, early-ish bed.

This morning I slept in.  Mostly.  Kind of forgot to shut my alarm off, so it went off at 5:40.  It was shut off, only to suddenly have my alarm at 6:15 go off.  How rude, for time to suddenly jump ahead like that.  I spent the morning sipping coffee, reading, packing lunch.  I realized that I have the high-functioning anxiety habit of packing ALL THE THINGS together in my schedule.  This morning was a nice reminder that sometimes I need to, well, not have things like that.  I think next challenge is going to be about spacing myself a bit better.  Because I'm doing this at work, too, and know from experience that I can, will, and do burn myself out that way.  So.  A little more zen is needed in my life, I think.  No idea how to quantify that, but that's okay.  I can figure it out.

• Like 1

Sounds like that was the right call to make, then. If you're feeling wiped after doing something that you like to do, and you're getting all these signs that something's amiss, it's wise to take heed of that. Hope you're feeling better today!

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Sounds like that was the right call to make, then. If you're feeling wiped after doing something that you like to do, and you're getting all these signs that something's amiss, it's wise to take heed of that. Hope you're feeling better today!

The fun debate right now in my brain is.... how much do I eat today?  Like, I feel like I can make an argument for my baseline BMR (~2400 calories), and I can make one for eating at a bit of a surplus for recovery purposes.  Lab work is kind of light enough that I can also swing either way with this.  *shrug* I think I'll just play it by ear and see what happens.

• Like 1

Man.  I'm clearly a Stepford RP.  I'm considering skipping the gym AGAIN tomorrow.  I may take a rest week, actually.  I need to work out a bunch of knots and sore spots, and I want to make sure I'm available for my friend when she wants to train next week.  So I think extra sleep and foam rolling is a good life choice.  Then the following weekend (10-13), I have a guest and I'm going/working to Boston Comic Con.  So I may take the start of next week lightly, too.

Maybe it's for the best.  Get some rest in before lots of stress hits with visits and training and what not.  Dunno.  Just needed a ramble.

Any way to turn it into active rest? Time away from the gym can be great and restorative, but you don't want to have to start again from a place of no momentum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kishi said:

Any way to turn it into active rest? Time away from the gym can be great and restorative, but you don't want to have to start again from a place of no momentum.

true dat.

also, rivers belong where they can ramble.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Honestly, I don't know. I'm going to sleep in, spend the morning doing some foam rolling and massaging, and see how it feels. My shoulder/neck is super annoyed with me for some reason, so that's just additional reason to take it easy. I'll still dojo, obviously, but it might just be a "take shit easy" week or two for me. 

5 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also, rivers belong where they can ramble.

I know that sentence only from Spring Awakening. And I am unsure how I feel about that. 

--------------

also, guys. I ate today. Lots. And had no chance or care to track after company lunch today. Company lunch being TACOS. So I had a lot of tacos. Welp. I'll be a little stricter tomorrow. But I think that's okay. I notice I can actually not eat the world on rest days. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I know that sentence only from Spring Awakening. And I am unsure how I feel about that. 

haha! it was the first weird thing i thought of when you said ramble. but i know it from Pippin

7 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

haha! it was the first weird thing i thought of when you said ramble. but i know it from Pippin

So musical 1, or musical 2.  Tomayto, Tomahto.

So, on this episode of "Bodies are weird," I measured myself when I woke up this morning.  My stomach was half an inch below the last mark I made.  After having devoured ALL THE THINGS yesterday.  And my weight was up 3 pounds.  Hell if I know what my body is doing.  After eating and hydrating a little my gut measurement bounced back up, but I always take measurements fasted and dehydrated, so the morning measurement is more in line with how I normally do things.

I also slept in again.  My shoulder is bothering me, I want to be kinder to my knees, and I think I need sleep more than anything else.  So I went to bed after applying some Chinese Magic Potion (Company's name for an Icy-Hot like fluid that is literally from China and is like Icy-Hot and Tiger Balm on steroids), slept in, and used my massager this morning to try and beat out a knot.  So that was fun.  I think next week I'm going to sleep in and just do yoga for the week's morning workout, using NF Yoga.  And I think next challenge I'm going to actually enforce the Thor goal I had this time - rotate 4x a week and 2x a week workouts.

Also, I got told I did a great job on my experiment yesterday by the second in command at my job this morning.  The protocol itself isn't terribly difficult, but it's been years since I had to do it, and I needed to be herded to the correct machinery in the building.  But it's pretty promising results for the experiment, so that makes me happy. :)

• Like 1

Hey, if the second-in-command is willing to take note of you and give you a compliment, you roll with it. It's useful social capital.

Anyway, sounds like it'll be a good week and you'll be able to wave your volume afterward if you stick to the Thor challenge. Good stuff.

Good for you listening to your body. Sounds like alternating 4x and 2x lifting weeks might be just right for you. Certainly you need to be rested and recovered enough to be an uke for a 1st kyu exam. Being an uke for 20-30 minutes is a high intensity workout. If you are lucky you will get to catch your breath while being pinned.

Yay for recognition at work! Also good that you have identified a pattern that you need to change to avoid burn-out.

What is this Chinese Magic Potion and where can I get some?

• Like 1

I meant to leave an aikido ramble here this weekend, and then things got all weird.

Aikido was interesting this weekend.  We have our exams this week, and very few people are testing.  However, there are two first kyus, and one second kyu.  So fairly high exams (relatively speaking).  I'm helping one woman train for her first kyu exam, and I'm the crash test dummy for her test.  But what's shocked me is how little in-class test prep we've had in the last two weeks.  Normally I'm sick of exam prep by this time, and there's really been none of that.  I'm still helping prep my partner for her test after class, and pair with her a lot in class, but the last couple of days I've branched out just for a small change of pace in class.

Notably, two people who have been missing for a while finally came back.  Both had good reasons for being gone - financial woes or health issues - so I was super excited to see them back.  Also, I was tagged by a newer person who was told that he should test in December, and is now freaking out about it a bit.  He's a bigger guy, but he's stuck around and really puts the effort in, and asked if I'd help him prepare.  So duh.  Doing that now, too.  One of the returning people is an instructor, who will start pegging me on all the small things I need to fix, the other was also a beginner, who I will then peg on all the small things that need to be fixed.  The circle of teaching continues.

Anyway, the plan for this coming Friday on my end is make sure I'm as DOMS-free and bendy as possible.  So I'm planning on lots of yoga and stretching and foam rolling this week in the morning before work, and keeping it pretty light during aikido.  It'll be a rest week or something.  Without, you know, the rest part.

--------------

Challenge Wrap up:

This challenge actually went surprisingly well for me.  I learned how much I was in fact under-feeding myself, in no uncertain terms.  I knew it.  You all knew it.  Now I have numbers to show the degree of it.  So, via goal breakdown:

1) Primal eating and/or IF - Honestly, this was the least successful goal for me, though still not terrible.  Looking at my MFP I was still mostly falling in the 80-20 rule primal/non-primal fare.  IF on days I was social/expected to eat out worked okay, with the exception of I desperately needed food on my days of lifting.  And that's okay.  It's strange for me to suddenly NEED food and hit a requirement, rather than keep myself under one.  But it seems to have worked out for the best.

2) Odin - Track, track, track.  This went pretty well.  I have a series of progress photos (even if they aren't easily viewable yet).  I tracked from June 26th to, well, now, pretty consistently.  The exception were the days my food choices were mostly out of my control - socializing, Thursday Lunch at work, etc etc.  But even when I wasn't tracking, I still hewed pretty close to the Primal way 80% of the time.  Want some numbers from June 26th to now?

Neck: 16" --> 16"

Stomach/Gut: 36.75" --> 35.75"

Chest: 42" --> 41.25"

Natural waist: 35" --> 34"

Weight: 215 -->  211 (or something like 209 for this morning's spontaneous weigh in)

Bodyfat percentage: 18~20% --> 16.5~18.1% (Range based on using my natural waist for the lower number, and my gut for the higher number - historically I've used the gut, not the natural waist)

Arms and legs shrank, but my muscles increase in my arm, with the size difference between my unflexed and flexed bicep jumping up a bit.  No idea how to do that with my quads, but I suspect the same would be seen.  Overall, I feel decently about my body, though I still feel like I have a ways to go.

3) Thor - I apparently like lifting in the morning, four times a week.  But I learned for sure what I expected - lifting 4 times a week, plus Stairs, plus my regular aikido timings just wear me down too much.  So I need to pull back on this.  Thankfully, I've also realized that when I don't lift, I'm not ravenous the entire day, and can still eat well below my TDEE - which means I STILL need to eat more.  But that's a nice realization that I can 'cut' still.

4) Loki - Okay, so I didn't adult as much as I wanted, but still managed to get things done.  I got my car stuff sorted (new tires, oil change, inspected).  I finally started an instagram for the dojo.  Cleaning in five minute increments worked really well.  And I managed to deal with surprise family functions and what not that I didn't really plan for.  And I survived them.

So, over all, this was a really, really nice challenge for me.  It's been a while since I've felt this good about a challenge I've completed.  Which means I need to see how this momentum can be carried forward into the next challenge.  Once I figure out what that is.

Till next time!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for having an excellent challenge!

You struggled for the last year. It is about time for things to go your way.

Hoping to to keep the trend going. End of the month is three months employed and halfway through my contract. Hopefully they'll bring me on full time. But I need to not hope for that. So the job hunt will begin Again. >.<