Plazmah embraces being multi-faceted

Plazmotic

July 26th Results

Yesterday was pretty good. Only ate between 10am and 8pm, and ate relatively healthy (yogurt, fruit, noodles, rice & chicken).

Went for a nice long walk with my SIL and we angry-chatted about life. Basically we were commiserating that we’ve somehow lost our passion for life. Both of us are creative people who loved to pursue our interests and hobbies in our twenties, but we’ve lost that drive in our thirties. :(

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

This late stage neo-liberal capitalism is complete bullshit.

I used to have a lot of fanciful career dreams: writer, singer, graphic designer, stay at home mom, musical therapist. These were all things I was so passionate about. But as I got older (specifically, once I got into my thirties) my passion for most things began to wane. Writing is the only feasible thing these days, and I can’t make a career of it yet. Plus I have to stick with my current job til at least October when I do my licensing exam (and hopefully pass).

Well, unlike you and Sylvaa, I have no husband or dependents to tie me down, so I may have a few more options... since it'll just be me starving if it doesn't work out. >_> 

I'm considering saving up for a smallish catamaran and living on that. I can make money selling boat trips to tourists or something, and since I'd have to learn how to sail anyway, I might as well toss in learning my own engine maintenance and hull cleaning to keep costs down. (I already have the SCUBA certification for hull cleaning, but there are many tricks to the trade. Plus most marinas require you to have very expensive insurance, which probably still applies even if you're just cleaning your own boat.) 

If I wanted to I could even become a dive master and take people out for SCUBA trips. Probably could charge even more for that, but there's also higher startup costs associated with it re: equipment, insurance, etc. 

But for now that's all just a fantasy. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

This late stage neo-liberal capitalism is complete bullshit.

Seconded.

I've changed career tracks a couple times because what happens to me is I follow a passion and it turns out to be the wrong one, or rather it has some good things but it also turns out to have a lot of downsides I didn't foresee until I was in the midst of it. My original plan was academia - I had a full scholarship to do my PhD at a university in Scotland. I was two months from getting on the plane to head over, despite my doubts about the trends of departments in my discipline being shuttered, and the increasing tales I heard of adjunct purgatory. I asked several of the professors I had become friendly with for advice, and all but one admitted to me (one in tears) that they would have chosen something else if they could go back in time. So I freaked out and turned down the offer.

Then I worked for a year, and applied to law school. Got a full scholarship, felt optimistic. Went to a school with a social justice bent and loved almost every bit of the law school experience. Then moved to the US and started actually working in law. Within a couple years I was working 70-85 hour weeks, never saw my partner, was depressed and miserable, disillusioned, and had gained ~50 pounds. Fun! 

So I left. Started off doing some legal research freelancing and some copywriting/publishing consulting since I had a background in that. Picked up a part-time job at a local farm to get outdoors and so something physical. Ended up falling in love with it, learned a bunch, worked my way up over a couple years until I was assistant manager. Worked at a bunch of organic farms in the area over the new several years, then started my own farm with a friend and former coworker. Loved certain parts of it, but also grew increasingly outraged at the way organic agriculture sells feelgood purityfood to rich folks at prices artificially subsidized by the incredibly low wages paid to the workers. But no one farmer can do much about it because if you raise your prices enough to pay anything close to a living wage, people just go elsewhere. Not to mention the fact that I was once again working 70-80 hour weeks, and slowly destroying my body with workplace injuries. With no health insurance or retirement plan, of course. Ended up closing the business and although I'm still doing some part-time farming stuff, I am not going back to it as a career option.

Now I'm 35 and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up  :blink:  

In my house our eventual goal is to have enough financial stability that we can take turns taking sabbaticals. We're not professors or anything but the idea is the same: every ~5 years, take a year free from the need to earn an income, to work on projects or learn new things or whatever. We don't have plans for kids, which makes this a little easier. I don't know when it'll happen but I think it will, eventually. I think it'd be good for everyone's sanity because it's so hard to really pursue something while also working full time, managing a household, keeping up with the care needs of aging family members for whom we're caregivers, having a social life, exercising, etc.

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
4 minutes ago, Severine said:

Now I'm 35 and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up  :blink:  

I'm ten years behind you, but the pressure to "do something with my major" and "settle down" is fierce. Meanwhile every "adult" I know either hates their lives and will have to work until they're eighty because they didn't plan ahead or got lucky and is a snob about it (but still complains about their job). Forget happiness, what happened to being fulfilled? 

4 minutes ago, Severine said:

In my house our eventual goal is to have enough financial stability that we can take turns taking sabbaticals. We're not professors or anything but the idea is the same: every ~5 years, take a year free from the need to earn an income, to work on projects or learn new things or whatever. We don't have plans for kids, which makes this a little easier. I don't know when it'll happen but I think it will, eventually. I think it'd be good for everyone's sanity because it's so hard to really pursue something while also working full time, managing a household, keeping up with the care needs of aging family members for whom we're caregivers, having a social life, exercising, etc.

I think this is a great idea. One of the things I used to talk to one of my old coworkers about (he left the company) was taking breaks. Most developed countries aren't nearly as bad as America about vacation time (two weeks a year? If you're lucky? Really?), but it's extra harsh here because most of us grew up in the American school system... with two month breaks every summer, two weeks every winter, and few extra days around Thanksgiving and Easter, not to mention national holidays. 

That two month break at summer is especially important. I always went into it exhausted and ready to hide from the world, but by the end of two months, I was bored and raring to get back to school and see my friends. People need a chance to relax, chill out, and heal. Working constantly is stressful and I just can't get behind any attitude of "it's good for you!" It's good for you to be active and engaged, yes. Is it good for you to work for an income just because there's some social pressure to be self-supporting? Doubtful. 

Breaks from work are also really good for creativity, recentering, pursuing side projects that interest you, getting through your personal ever-lengthening to-do list (clean the gutters, get rid of the junk in the garage, repaint the house, set up a backyard garden, etc), and just generally feeling like you're taking care of yourself. 

I think if work (wage slavery) was really good for us, it would give us that sense of accomplishment. I've worked jobs where it has, but not for a living wage, and not for a company that didn't go under within a few years. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Severine said:

Now I'm 35 and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

I am super envious of your work history, Severine! I never really had a chance to explore what I am passionate about. My parents told me to become a doctor when I was seven years old and that was my goal right up until I was kicked out of my pre-med university program for having an A instead of an A+.

I had a few of my own ideas for a new career (web design, musical therapist), but my parents talked me out of them and I went with a degree in occupational safety instead. Started working right out of school and while I loved being a grown-up with a Real Job and a Company Laptop and attending team-building conferences at expensive country clubs, it was a struggle to drag myself out of bed every morning.

That was when I was 25. It’s 11 years later and I still struggle every morning. The work I do is completely unsatisfying or compelling to me. I’ve been in the same field doing a variety of jobs from manufacturing support to auditing to training. I’ve been laid off 3 times and every time I am, I keep thinking “I should quit this nonsense and reinvent myself” but I never have the courage to do it.

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Most developed countries aren't nearly as bad as America about vacation time (two weeks a year? If you're lucky? Really?), but it's extra harsh here because most of us grew up in the American school system

Can vouch that in Canada it's almost the same: two month summer break in school that turns into to two weeks vacation once you enter the working world. It's a maddeningly untenable system... don't even get me started on how out of sync work life is with the demands of child-rearing.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Can vouch that in Canada it's almost the same: two month summer break in school that turns into to two weeks vacation once you enter the working world. It's a maddeningly untenable system... don't even get me started on how out of sync work life is with the demands of child-rearing.

It's utter nonsense and I'm sorry to hear it's more widespread than I thought. 

• Like 2

July 27th Results

Wasn’t very active yesterday but I did well for nutrition, lots of veggies and home cooked food. Should have done some writing or creative tasks but alas, the motivation was not there.

I’ve noticed that for the past 5-6 days I’ve been feeling very… off. I’m much more sleepy/tired than I usually am, last night I could barely keep my eyes open while in the shower. I’m waaaaay hungrier than usual too, I feel hunger pains the moment I wake up in the morning and during my drive to work it gets even worse. The most worrying thing is that I’ve started feeling dizzy/my vision gets fuzzy and dark if I stand too quickly (or even when I’m quietly sitting down), which used to happen to me when I was a teen but I’d thought I’d grown out of it. Don’t know if this is related, but my cuticles are all fucked up lately… the skin is peeling all around my nails and it hasn’t been this bad in years.

I’m blaming all this on the fact that I sort of stopped taking prenatal vitamins for the last month or so, hopefully in a couple weeks my issues should resolve. But it’s weird to begin with that stopping vitamins would have this kind of effect on my body!

• Like 3

Could be that you have a specific vitamin deficiency that the prenatal vitamins were covering for and now that you're off them that deficiency is making itself known? 

If you do figure out what causes the flakey skin around the cuticles, let me know... I get that one every now and again myself. As far as extra tired, for me it's usually iron, but I have a known iron problem. The only other one I know that causes fatigue is Vit D deficiency... no idea for dizziness/fuzzy vision. :/ 

• Like 1
On 7/28/2017 at 11:06 AM, Wobbegong said:

Could be that you have a specific vitamin deficiency that the prenatal vitamins were covering for and now that you're off them that deficiency is making itself known? 

If you do figure out what causes the flakey skin around the cuticles, let me know... I get that one every now and again myself.

One of the effects of long-term prenatal vitamin use is that my body is much better at holding itself together. My cuticles rarely flaked, my split-ends disappeared, and my nails didn't break as easily.

My doctor has pointed out in the past that I have a very slight thyroid imbalance, can’t remember if it’s hyper or hypo though. And a few years ago I had weird bouts of light-headedness that vanished after some time. All in all I’ve just chalked everything up to I’m Getting Old syndrome, haha.

• Like 3

July 28th - 30th Results

Overall it was a not so good weekend and I only have myself to blame!

Friday night was Date Night so husband and I went out to a fancy restaurant for dinner. Food didn’t come til much later than anticipated, plus I ingested far too many calories (gin & tonic + seafood stew + chocolate brownie cake). I hadn’t been feeling that great since the afternoon and I came home feeling exhausted and sick.

All of Saturday I felt even worse; woke up early for a dentist appointment and there’s something about dental stuff that makes me nauseous for the rest of the day. Or maybe it was the mussels in the seafood stew, I couldn’t tell. In any case, I felt dizzy and tired and nauseous but painfully hungry too. After napping for a bit, me and my husband decided we needed to get out of the house to boost my mood. We went to a nearby resto-brewery and did a 4 beer sampling. Then we went to the local ribfest for ribs & ice cream. Lots of walking around which helped.

Sunday I woke up feeling so much better than I had for the last two days, far less bloated and painfully hungry than before. Managed to get a lot of errands done, also cooked a healthy lunch and dinner. Made mini-chocolate cupcakes too but I don’t plan on eating most of them, they’re easy to pawn off at work. :P

• Like 4

July 31st Results

Wasn’t the best day yesterday either eating or nutrition-wise. A bunch of my husband’s family from across the country came to visit his parents so we spent the evening at their place, hanging out and eating far too much curry and dessert, right up until almost 10pm. But yay to being social? Yay to being social. Boo to being sleep-deprived though.

Feeling somehow both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by work. There’s so much to do, but I couldn’t care less. 

• Like 3

@Wobbegong I've heard somewhere that this mindset is a kind of perfectionism that runs in the other direction. People think a perfectionist is someone who obsesses with the "most right" outcome and is irrationally unwilling to settle, but apparently some perfectionists think: "I have to be perfect, but I can't/it's impossible, so I'm just not going to try." VERY ME. I call it the "Type B Perfectionist". :P

• Like 2

August 1st Results

Tried my best to keep myself walking and up while I was at work, getting those steps in. Nutrition was comme ci comme ça... my lunch was a pretty sad frozen dinner that tasted horrible, snacked waaaaaay too hard on a lot of work product that people were batch testing, but on the other hand I tried a new dinner recipe (taco pizza using Pillsbury crescent dough as crust) and it tasted so good! I have it again for lunch today, excited to eat it!

• Like 4

August 2nd Results

Went for a brisk 20 minute walk yesterday with the SIL. Unfortunately food-wise things went sort of sideways. Although I only ate from 10:30am to 8pm I ate a bit more junk than usual. They made some rare pastries at work and I scooped a couple of those up. Then people were talking about Portuguese custard tarts and I decided to pick a few up after work because Good Memories. Then after dinner my MIL talked me into a piece of black forest cake. Wah.

Was in a low mood yesterday. Need to get in touch with more friends, I have been very bad at communicating especially with my two BFFs :(

• Like 3

Next challenge planning: probably going to focus on living a full life, not this half-assed life I’ve been wading through since I got back from Lisboa. Eating well and regular activity already have solid foundations, it’s the other stuff that’s fallen by the wayside. I do want to improve what physical activity I do eventually, but I’m going to tackle the things that are low performing items first.

I’d also like to try a PvP next challenge, I missed out this time around. I’m also thinking I might move to a guild for the next challenge. :o I’ve been a Rebel for ages because I don’t feel like I do any exercise specific enough to warrant being in a guild. I walk and run, that’s it, and not much at that. Does that work for being a Scout? I always thought I’d end up as Druid because I love yoga and pilates, even if I don’t do either anymore. Or does my lack of specialization make me a Ranger? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Also, everyone is telling me to watch What The Health on Netflix because it’ll change your life, it’s the new Supersize Me, etc. My brother and parents have suddenly gone vegetarian because of it (not a too tough stretch since we grew up vegetarian). Anyone else seen it?

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Next challenge planning: probably going to focus on living a full life, not this half-assed life I’ve been wading through since I got back from Lisboa. Eating well and regular activity already have solid foundations, it’s the other stuff that’s fallen by the wayside. I do want to improve what physical activity I do eventually, but I’m going to tackle the things that are low performing items first.

That's so smart. I always feel like I have to follow the "2 exercise 1 food 1 life" (or is it 1-2-1?) setup, but exercise is always a huge struggle, and the truth is when I do exercise it's never because the challenge inspired me to. It's like "oh it's hot I should go swimming" or "oh I'm tired I should go for a walk." So yeah, maybe focusing on other things that I really want to get in order first, and then coming back around at exercise later. 

I’d also like to try a PvP next challenge, I missed out this time around.

I've never actually done a PvP but there's been some chatter in my thread about maybe doing one over the past couple of hours. I guess several of us have "try new foods" goals coming up. Not sure if you're interested but if we do go there you're welcome to join in!

I’m also thinking I might move to a guild for the next challenge. :o I’ve been a Rebel for ages because I don’t feel like I do any exercise specific enough to warrant being in a guild. I walk and run, that’s it, and not much at that. Does that work for being a Scout? I always thought I’d end up as Druid because I love yoga and pilates, even if I don’t do either anymore. Or does my lack of specialization make me a Ranger? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Gasp! A guild! Idk, if your next challenge is focusing on getting your life in order and you can frame it in like a "finding your center"/"mindfulness" way maybe Druid would work? If your goals involve learning more about yourself and kind of exploring your own life, maybe Adventurers? It sounds like you might not be working towards a specific exercise goal next challenge, so... idk.

Keep in mind that just doing a challenge with a guild does not make them your "home base" guild for ever and ever. You can switch around as much as you want. 

Also, everyone is telling me to watch What The Health on Netflix because it’ll change your life, it’s the new Supersize Me, etc. My brother and parents have suddenly gone vegetarian because of it (not a too tough stretch since we grew up vegetarian). Anyone else seen it?

It keeps coming up in my suggestions but I haven't watched it yet. I don't have anyone pushing me to watch it, either. But as far as being the new "Supersize Me," wasn't Supersize Me largely shown to be nonsense? Other people have tried to replicate his experiment and end up losing weight, or having no change. Basically anyone who puts together a documentary is trying to prove a point about something one way or another; it's up to you to decide what you want to take from the information provided. 

I just watched a trailer for What the Health and it looks like it's pushing the "organic foods" agenda, and seems to be pro-GMO. That's a nice stance! Usually I see people against both, but if you're not using chemicals to protect your plants from pests, and you're not genetically modifying resistance into them, my opinion is you're just artificially inflating the cost of that product. That said, I also typically think the "organic" movement is a wad of hooey, because it's not like organic means pesticide-free: it just means pesticides that don't occur in nature. Some organic pesticides are worse for the environment than their lab-chemical counterparts. 

Is the meat industry in this country horrifying? Yes. Is it horrifying in a lot of places? Yes, and in fact much worse than here in some places (although of course that doesn't make it ok). Are there options to buy meat from animals that were treated well while they were alive? Depends on where you live. I have those options here, and I make use of them, but I recognize that a lot of people aren't as lucky as me. Those people should feel welcome to pursue what they think is right and eat vegetarian if that's what they think is best. It all comes down to the way you think about the information provided to you, and the ways you're able to make sure your lifestyle matches your moral compass. 

• Like 3

Jumping in halfway here but a.) you can pick a guild based on what you wanna do, or just where you want to be. I was in the Adventurers forever, switched to the Druids for one challenge because I was doing yoga and stuff, but wasn't really happy because the people there were nice but they weren't my people? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

b.) I watched Supersize Me and it was super bullshit because the dude got the shittiest things on the menu. Not the salads and the water or diet soda, but the Big Macs and super sized fries and regular cokes. So yeah duh, you're gonna get sick. Dumbass. I haven't watched the one you're talking about but I've watched a few others. Take them with a grain of salt. Some of the pro-vegan ones I've watched are super preachy and obnoxious about it. And I say this as someone who wanted to go vegan even before watching them. There was one about a guy who only drank fresh juice for a month and was a little ridiculous. So again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I never even watched Supersize Me! From what I hear, What The Health has been criticized by doctors and nutritionist as being biased towards a vegan agenda, but it does expose a number of issues in the meat and dairy industries. I don’t think I could ever go fully vegan, but I don’t eat a lot of meat or dairy to begin with. 

Hmm, Adventurers is sounding like it might be apt but yeah... no exercise-based goal for me next challenge. Seems wrong somehow. :(

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

I never even watched Supersize Me! From what I hear, What The Health has been criticized by doctors and nutritionist as being biased towards a vegan agenda, but it does expose a number of issues in the meat and dairy industries. I don’t think I could ever go fully vegan, but I don’t eat a lot of meat or dairy to begin with. 

See, and I'm a dairy snob who got lucky and lives with easy access to the country's best dairy for animal health and welfare (and flavor, of course). Clover Sonoma, I mean. So I'm privileged to not have to worry about the quality of life of my milk cows, I've visited them and I drive past them all the time and I know they're happy and well cared-for. 

I could never go full vegan. Giving up cheese just would not work for me. I could probably become a vegetarian but I would be a sad Wobbegong. I don't eat meat in huge amounts or as frequently as many people I know (every meal?? really??) but I do eat it fairly regularly, and when I want it I want it. 

5 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Hmm, Adventurers is sounding like it might be apt but yeah... no exercise-based goal for me next challenge. Seems wrong somehow. :(

I don't know the answer. Normally I would say "stick with the Rebels!" but it sounds like you're ready to leave the nest, and I don't want to hold you back. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

My cousin has been RANTING about this documentary on facebook, so even though I haven't watched it I have a very negative opinion of it based on her commentary. She says the guy goes around and does a lot of shitty things like talking to a secretary who is trying to figure out where to route his call and going "HA! They don't want to talk to me! This is proof that they're evil!" and generally a lot of sensationalist, non-fact-based stuff to push his agenda. She's not anti-vegan or anything either. It's really just the deceptive nature of the film that seems to have enraged her. 

For the guilds, you have a lot of options! You can't really go wrong, and you can always move around and experiment. I'd recommend poking into the forums and looking at some challenges or chat threads there to see which vibe appeals most to you!  

• Druid guild if you want to focus on more mindset and mental health stuff. The druids are a really small guild and there doesn't seem to be as much activity there as there used to be, but they're super nice. More than any other guild, I've seen a lot of people drop in with the druids for a challenge or two before moving onto other guilds once they work through the druid-y stuff. 
  • Adventurers are also a really small guild! I also used to be an Adventurer with fleaball and some others because they used to be the sort of catch-all guild before they redefined the guilds (last year? 2 years ago?). I don't know many of the adventurers now but @Sylvaa is an adventurer and she's great.
  • Rangers will tell you that everyone is a ranger and actively try to convert their non-ranger friends to join the guild. :P We can be sort of overwhelmingly large for some people, but it also means there's a lot of activity! There's a lot of crossover with Rebels since it tends to be a guild for people who don't specialize. The big thing for rangers is the desire to do all the things (which we call Rangerbrain). We have a lot of people who mix cardio and strength specifically (through Crossfit, lifting, running, etc. etc.) but there's a huge range of different activities.
  • Like 5

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

August 3rd Results

Managed to limit the time period I was eating really well, from 10:30am to 8:30pm. Ate pretty healthy as well except for the fact that a coworker bought me an iced capp from Timmies as a treat. Couldn’t turn down a gift. Drinking it was like being punched in the face with sugar and coffee. I can’t believe I used to like these so much in my twenties, what a silly unrefined palate I had!

Anyway when I was home I did a whole bunch of laundry sorting and folding, felt immensely accomplished after. For dinner I made creamy fettucine with grilled chicken and asparagus… wasn’t thrilled by it (as my gut predicted, it was a very White Person recipe and therefore didn’t have enough flavour for me) but husband said he liked it.

-----------------------------

Weekend is going to be a hot mess food-wise. I think people are ordering lunch and will try to suck me in. Also, husband and I are going out for our traditional Friday Date Night after work; restaurant is his choice because he got some good news at work, and of course he wants to go to a nearby gourmet burger place where they make bacon-wrapped bacon stuffed with bacon* PLUS he’s going to make bacon for breakfast on Saturday. Saturday evening is dinner for my mom’s birthday followed by drinks for a cousin’s birthday. Hopefully I can compensate for all this food by being active.

• Like 4
On 8/3/2017 at 11:03 AM, Plazmotic said:

I did not watch it, but there were a number of negative comments on FB, so I read some very well written reviews. What the Health appears to be sensationalist journalism at its finest. It's definitely bought and paid for by anti-meat advocates. That being said, there were some nice points that were made, they just happened to be shoved in between disproven theories and nonsense. 

FWIW, I HATE anything that pushes the idea that any one eating style is better than another, regardless of the rationale. (Also, it bothered me that they didn't appear to actually defend any of the arguments against veganism / vegetarianism).

On 8/3/2017 at 1:40 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Adventurers are also a really small guild! I also used to be an Adventurer with fleaball and some others because they used to be the sort of catch-all guild before they redefined the guilds (last year? 2 years ago?). I don't know many of the adventurers now but @Sylvaa is an adventurer and she's great.

:love_heart: Please feel free to come join! Then again, I'll be following you anyway #stalkercat!

• Like 3
On 8/2/2017 at 8:11 AM, Plazmotic said:

@Wobbegong I've heard somewhere that this mindset is a kind of perfectionism that runs in the other direction. People think a perfectionist is someone who obsesses with the "most right" outcome and is irrationally unwilling to settle, but apparently some perfectionists think: "I have to be perfect, but I can't/it's impossible, so I'm just not going to try." VERY ME. I call it the "Type B Perfectionist". :P

This made me laugh. I am definitely like this in some areas. Sometimes when I want to learn something new, I spend a lot of time preparing or gathering supplies or whatever because I can't start until I'm entirely ready. But of course I will never be entirely ready so actually starting to learn the thing sometimes doesn't happen...I'm more self aware about it now, but that doesn't stop it from happening as reliably as I'd like.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:03 AM, Plazmotic said:

I’d also like to try a PvP next challenge, I missed out this time around. I’m also thinking I might move to a guild for the next challenge. :o I’ve been a Rebel for ages because I don’t feel like I do any exercise specific enough to warrant being in a guild. I walk and run, that’s it, and not much at that. Does that work for being a Scout? I always thought I’d end up as Druid because I love yoga and pilates, even if I don’t do either anymore. Or does my lack of specialization make me a Ranger? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

That challenge approach sounds fascinating to me. Specifically I'm curious about what a full life looks like to you right now and how you'd measure it. From the conversation about the job stuff before I know you dislike the field you're in - are you thinking seriously about changing careers? Or at you looking to add meaning/satisfaction through better use of your non-working hours? You mentioned creative endeavours? 

FWIW as far as concentrating on non-exercise stuff, I think if the lack of satisfaction is having an adverse impact on your mood (and it sounds like it is?) sorting that out will probably help exercise feel easier and more exciting anyway. So it makes sense as a progression strategy.

No idea what guild that fits best with. I'm waffling on what guild to choose this challenge too - I've always been in the Rebels but I am interested in druids, rangers, and adventurers for various reasons. I think whatever guild feels exciting or motivating right now is the best bet, honestly, and don't overthink it beyond that. Nobody is going to tell you that your thread is in the wrong place :)

On 8/4/2017 at 9:14 AM, Plazmotic said:

Managed to limit the time period I was eating really well, from 10:30am to 8:30pm. Ate pretty healthy as well except for the fact that a coworker bought me an iced capp from Timmies as a treat. Couldn’t turn down a gift. Drinking it was like being punched in the face with sugar and coffee. I can’t believe I used to like these so much in my twenties, what a silly unrefined palate I had!

Oh god, Timmies. My mum is convinced that they add something to the coffee because she says she's having a harder time giving it up than she had quitting smoking. Doesn't help that there's one every third block, either. I've never been a coffee drinker, but I do have a really strong positive nostalgic response to their hot chocolate despite the fact that their hot chocolate is objectively crap. When I was a kid we had family skating night every Friday and stopping by Timmies on the way home was such a big deal to tiny Severine.

But when I miss food from home, it's not Timmies. I miss good jerk chicken and curry goat. I miss good Korean food. I miss Samosa King way out in the ass end of Scarberia. I miss Salad King as it was before the big fire, when they had the awesome Malaysian chef who made curry that was a gateway to heaven. I miss Double 8. The list goes on and on. Boston thinks it's a multicultural city but it's no Toronto :( 

On 8/3/2017 at 1:06 PM, Plazmotic said:

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I did not watch it, but there were a number of negative comments on FB, so I read some very well written reviews. What the Health appears to be sensationalist journalism at its finest. It's definitely bought and paid for by anti-meat advocates. That being said, there were some nice points that were made, they just happened to be shoved in between disproven theories and nonsense. 

FWIW, I HATE anything that pushes the idea that any one eating style is better than another, regardless of the rationale. (Also, it bothered me that they didn't appear to actually defend any of the arguments against veganism / vegetarianism).

I'm definitely with Sylvaa on this one. I have a couple vegan friends who have ranted to me about how much they hate What The Health because they feel like it devalues the credibility of their choices by airing a really irrational and sensational argument for veganism. They said the same thing about Forks Over Knives.

I think there are plenty of good reasons to be vegan and plenty of good reasons not to be. I tend to view nutrition and exercise choices as being very individual and personal things, like religious belief, which should be chosen based on the individual preferences and needs and are basically nobody else's business. I don't like proselytizing for nutrition any more than I like it for religion. So I like documentaries from the "let's share information about X" perspective and tend to strongly dislike documentaries of the "we will convince you of X" variety.

As someone who's worked in agriculture (both certified organic and not) for years I can say that there are a lot of problems in the ag industry, both organic and not. And a lot of people have really serious misconceptions about how it all works - like @Wobbegong mentioned, many people erroneously believe that certified organic means no pesticides. I've worked on uncertified farms that used next to no pesticides and organic farms that sprayed OMRI-approved broad spectrum insecticides (which means they kill everything including beneficial insects) on basically everything.

Due to my personal situation, we buy almost all our food from farms where I know the farmers personally. We're very lucky to have that option but it's not a viable basis fr feeding millions of people. The system is badly in need of rethinking but I'm very skeptical about that happening when such a large percentage of the public has zero idea how food production works.

Sorry for giant post!

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
On 8/6/2017 at 10:15 PM, Severine said:

From the conversation about the job stuff before I know you dislike the field you're in - are you thinking seriously about changing careers? Or at you looking to add meaning/satisfaction through better use of your non-working hours? You mentioned creative endeavours? 

Changing careers is not in the immediate for me, not unless I win the lottery or something. :P I’m writing a novel (part of a trilogy) in the hopes that one day it will be my ticket out, but who knows? In the meantime, I’m trying to make life generally fulfilling by improving my:

1)      Socializing – more time with family & friends, less time gaming on my smartphone.

2)      Exercising – still haven’t found an exercise that gives me real happiness and fulfillment. Zumba and belly-dancing came close, but still not quite there.

3)       Creating – Includes my writing, but also crochet, scrapbooking, DIY projects, baking/cooking, fanfiction.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:15 PM, Severine said:

I miss Samosa King way out in the ass end of Scarberia.

DUDE, I used to live across the street from Samosa King. I once made the mistake of going in there during Diwali weekend. NEVER AGAIN. It was packed like a freaking dance club, standing room only. And yet, it was worth it. And YES to pre-fire Salad King! I went to Ryerson for a few years, that place was my go-to lunch destination.

• Like 2