• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bighara

Bighara enters the octagon

Afternoon meeting cancelation! 

giphy.gif

So I raced off to the office gym's weight room.

giphy.gif

So that box is checked at least!

@otterbyte can't make our normal Thursday PM kickboxing class, so we'll try for the Friday 11AM one (It's my telework day, so I just take an early lunch break). I'm thinking I'll just hit the elliptical machine at the gym tomorrow or something.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Good progress this past weekend. I got the shelves down in the basement yesterday and today I picked up the weight bench from Dick's and assembled it! I even got a bodyweight/dumbbell workout in today.

I've shifted over from a weight loss calorie schedule on LoseIt! to weight maintenance. I'll be working on dropping some more fat and adding lean mass though. Up to 150g of protein a day. Oof! That's a lot of whey powder and chicken breasts.

• Like 1

Mmm. You'll get real good at chicken before long, I guarantee. Salt, pepper, turmeric. These are your friends now.

Of course, if you're sitting at maintenance and have room in the energy budget for it, ground beef and steak are great and tasty ways to get protein.

37 minutes ago, Bighara said:

Good progress this past weekend. I got the shelves down in the basement yesterday and today I picked up the weight bench from Dick's and assembled it! I even got a bodyweight/dumbbell workout in today.

I've shifted over from a weight loss calorie schedule on LoseIt! to weight maintenance. I'll be working on dropping some more fat and adding lean mass though. Up to 150g of protein a day. Oof! That's a lot of whey powder and chicken breasts.

Yay for getting the shelves done and installing a weight bench!

I've been checking out the nutrition content and price of protein powders, inspired by a conversation on @Urgan's battle log. Kishi and I discussed the economics of protein a few months ago. Rather than tracking down that conversation, I'll just show you the math to save time. This is in US measurements. It would be easier in metric.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts have 23g protein per 100g (according to fatsecret). That means you would need 652g chicken to get 150g protein.

652g = 1.43 lbs x $1.99/lb = $2.85  (This uses the typical sale price at my local grocery)

Whey powders vary considerably in protein content and price. Also taste. My list has the ones other Nerds recommended and the ones available at Costco and my co-op. I've listed just the two cheapest. Again the assumption is you are getting all your protein from whey powder. Just as unrealistic as eating all that chicken, but a fair comparison.

Impact Whey Protein has 20g protein per 25g serving. You would need 7.5 servings = 187.5g to get your 150g protein.

187.5g = 0.41 lbs x $6.82/lb = $2.81  (this uses the 11lb size from their web site)

Dymatize Elite has 25g protein per 36g serving. You would need 6 servings = 216g to get your 150g protein.

216g = 0.476 lbs x $9.29/lb = $4.42  (this uses the 10lb size from Amazon)

So if you like the less expensive protein powder, it costs the same as chicken breast. Most of them cost considerably more.

For cooking chicken, I have had good results when I brine it overnight (or shorter if you are more organized than me). I find it gets dry if it is not brined first. Then season and grill or bake. Italian dressing makes an easy marinade.

• Like 2

I am a fan of Jarrow's whey powder, as they offer an unflavored option. ( @otterbyte doesn't like the chocolate or vanilla, and I am indifferent). You can get it pretty reasonably on Amazon. 

I don't like getting all/most of my protein from things like powders, but they do help get the numbers up a notch or two. I tend to cook up a bunch of chicken and a few salmon fillets ahead of time. I also will do things like grill a large piece of flat iron steak or similar for the family to pick from over a few days. When I'm ambitious and the weather cooperates, I'll fire up the smoker for brined chicken, sweet potatoes, and a roast or brisket.

• Like 3

It does seem that whole food sources are the best sources if you can manage it, but they get kind of tricky to pack and keep. Powders/bars can be pretty handy, but the quality does vary and if you want to be sure that you're getting the good stuff it very often winds up costing more money.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that the value of such artificial food lies in its portability and robustness relative to whole food. As it is now, I'm kind of having to do both - keep a real protein with me at lunch, and then a couple of Quest Bars to fuel training. It seems to work. Relying on both seems to offset the costs of relying too much on the one or the other. But that's just my case, and you gotta do what works for you.

• Like 3

So a couple days late, but here's the recap:

Weight stayed stable. I may even have shift a little fat to LMM.

The basement in better shape, but I still need to wall mount the TV so I can get the next batch of shelves out and make more room.

The limber 11 got a bit spotty toward the end. I really need to be more consistent with my flexibility training.

Record keeping in LoseIt has been good, but not great. Sometimes in the evening I'm just not tracking every little thing.

Two new developments:

1) I've begun the Buff Dudes 12-week plan for strength training. I'm pretty comfortable around the weight room, but I felt like I needed a structured plan to follow to help me progress to a new level. I like the Dudes' videos and advice as they are pretty down to earth and still entertaining. They also definitely walk the walk when it comes to working out and paying attention to things like nutrition.

2) @otterbyte and I have officially enrolled in Muay Thai classes! I got the "graffiti shorts" (as she calls them) and everything.

The school is closed next week (until 8/21) for their vacation, so this week will be out final classes in Fitness Kickboxing before rolling over in MT. We're going to NC to view the eclipse the weekend of the 20th, so we won't be back in town until 8/22. We'll see if we are up for class that night. We need to get to the school a couple times that week as our daughter needs her last couple TKD classes for her brown belt graduation that Friday.

• Like 1

Nice! So overall, it sounds like it was a good challenge to you - you cleaned things up, recomposed, and did stretch. It all just seems to have fallen off toward the end, which happens from time to time.

That's good news with the program and MT, though! I hope they work together well.

17 hours ago, Bighara said:

The school is closed next week (until 8/21) for their vacation, so this week will be out final classes in Fitness Kickboxing before rolling over in MT. We're going to NC to view the eclipse the weekend of the 20th, so we won't be back in town until 8/22.

Whaaaaaat. Dude, I live in NC. You headed over to Charlotte? I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to Charlotte or down to SC and the beach...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bighara said:

Heading to Waynesville area. West of Asheville.

Nice! I used to know Asheville. Once upon a time, I worked for the Biltmore Estate, and my folks lived in Old Fort.