What to do if my parents don't approve of me dieting?

Bre1003

I am a high school student. I have been looking for a job. Until I get one, my parents buy groceries for the whole family. They say that healthy food is too expensive. I'd like to do a ketogenic diet. This is difficult as almost everything bought is a bread product. Currently, my allowance is 6 dollars a week. Is there anything you can recommend?

Grow some vegetables in the yard. 

Ask your parents if they can leave a box or two of cookies/chips out of the cart and use that money to buy carrots, cabbage, or a couple bags of frozen veggies instead.

Eat eggs, beans, peanut butter and canned fish.  These are the cheapest kinds of protein.

Most baked goods actually have a big markup on them, compared to what the ingredients cost.  They cook up $0.25 worth of flour and sugar and sell you a box of doughnuts for $5.00.  Kind of a ripoff.  Fresh produce is more costly than bread, but frozen and canned veggies are quite cheap and always in season.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Maybe instead of the ketogenic you can just use a tracker to track your calories, and just really work on learning to eat smaller portions. Try cutting out the sugar from your diet. Drink water instead of pop. Don't eat the cookies, or eat less. with 6 dollars a week, you can buy some frozen veggies. Have some veggies at  lunch and dinner. You may not be able to do the keto diet now, but you can start making small steps to just eating healthier.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Maybe instead of the ketogenic you can just use a tracker to track your calories, and just really work on learning to eat smaller portions. Try cutting out the sugar from your diet. Drink water instead of pop. Don't eat the cookies, or eat less. with 6 dollars a week, you can buy some frozen veggies. Have some veggies at  lunch and dinner. You may not be able to do the keto diet now, but you can start making small steps to just eating healthier.

Once I feel like I'm off track, I tend to not track my calories. Tracking is rather inaccurate for me anyway, as I don't have a food scale. If I measure, I get laughed at.

Just now, Bre1003 said:

Once I feel like I'm off track, I tend to not track my calories. Tracking is rather inaccurate for me anyway, as I don't have a food scale. If I measure, I get laughed at.

Sorry, that does sound hard. What  about the idea of skipping the pop and cookies? That may be a good start. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

12 hours ago, Bre1003 said:

You don't need to measure accurately, precision is best one can do. And you don't need a scale, you can measure portions by hand and that's a good enough start. But if you don't track, you're pretty much just swinging blindly.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIwAAAAJDkxYmRlNjI0LTgwMzkt

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Machete said:

You don't need to measure accurately, precision is best one can do. And you don't need a scale, you can measure portions by hand and that's a good enough start. But if you don't track, you're pretty much just swinging blindly.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIwAAAAJDkxYmRlNjI0LTgwMzkt

Thank you! Is there a way to make that picture bigger? I tried dragging it but it's still tiny.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the original picture.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear that people aren't being so supportive. :( the folks above are right - cups is a good start for portion size. 

I know it's true that you can't outrun your fork, but in these situations it's hest to focus on what you can control rather than what you can't. 

So, as the others have said, you can't control what your family buy but you can control how much of it you eat. You can also control how much exercise you do. I know that it's not possible to outrun your fork, but it still helps.

I'm not sure how much six dollars would buy, but maybe pick a meal like breakfast that you could have more control over? It's a start. My go to breakfast is porridge. Oats are crazy cheap here.

Subtle changes might grab their attention less. I remember my folks being very odd about me changing diets initially - they thought it was a phase. So I changed things slowly and they didn't really notice.

Don't give up though - your health is important! You never know, once you start improving things, they might be inclined to follow!

• Like 1

"I think it was blessed are the cheesemakers."

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

"Well obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

EriTheHedgehog, level 0 Wood elf. Druid at heart, training with the adventurers.

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Challenge 1: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42099-watch-out-world-eris-coming-to-getcha/

If the issue for them is that healthy food is too expensive, perhaps you can educate them about the value of healthy food.

Eating unhealthy food will increase the chances of you getting sick, which means more money spent on medical bills. Not to mention time wasted visiting doctors and the extra stress.

So in reality, it's cheaper to buy healthy food. Not only is it cheaper, but it leads you to a healthier and happier life, which you can use to provide more value to yourself, your family and the world around you.

Not gonna lie, it's going to be a difficult battle. If your parents have any health issues themselves, now would be the time to point them out and call them out on it. Wouldn't their lives be much better without those health issues? If they are not able to take your feedback, remember that it's not your fault, it is simply their EGO getting in the way. 

Try talking to them. See what happens. Approach it from a logical and emotional perspective. Good luck.

• Like 2

If you want free food, volunteer at a food bank.  If you're old enough to work for pay, you are old enough to work for free.  They need help, and if you do a good job and follow the rules, they'll usually let you pick out some edibles after your shift.  I do this all the time since I'm on a snug budget.  (The food bank's job is to distribute food to people and families with low income, but I've never worked at any food bank that wouldn't let volunteers take a bit if they're in need.  Just ask first!)

By the way, volunteering is a great way to make connections, learn skills and pad your resume.  It will speed up the process of getting a job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raincloak said:

If you want free food, volunteer at a food bank.  If you're old enough to work for pay, you are old enough to work for free.  They need help, and if you do a good job and follow the rules, they'll usually let you pick out some edibles after your shift.  I do this all the time since I'm on a snug budget.  (The food bank's job is to distribute food to people and families with low income, but I've never worked at any food bank that wouldn't let volunteers take a bit if they're in need.  Just ask first!)

By the way, volunteering is a great way to make connections, learn skills and pad your resume.  It will speed up the process of getting a job.

I currently volunteer at an animal shelter. My diet would involve a lot of meat. and I don't think I could get that if I volunteered at a food bank.

At the risk of being rude, I have to wonder whether you're very serious about taking charge of your health, if all you do is ask for advice and then post excuses for why you won't follow that advice.  Ultimately, no one but you is going to look after your body. Why should they?  It's your body.  If you let it rot, you're the one who suffers. 

For some people, getting what they want is hard.  So how bad do you want to lose weight?  What are you willing to lay on the table?  If the answer is not "time," "ego," or "sweat," then you probably should choose another goal, cause fitness only accepts a few currencies and excuses aren't one of em.

My local food bank has a whole walk-in freezer full of meat, plus boxes of eggs, yogurt, cheese and milk, plus bags and cans filled with beans, lentils, stews and fish, plus many jars of nut butter.  Take it from someone who works in and studies the food business: there is no shortage of protein in industrialized nations.  What people usually have a problem with nowadays is vegetables.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raincloak said:

At the risk of being rude, I have to wonder whether you're very serious about taking charge of your health, if all you do is ask for advice and then post excuses for why you won't follow that advice.  Ultimately, no one but you is going to look after your body. Why should they?  It's your body.  If you let it rot, you're the one who suffers. 

For some people, getting what they want is hard.  So how bad do you want to lose weight?  What are you willing to lay on the table?  If the answer is not "time," "ego," or "sweat," then you probably should choose another goal, cause fitness only accepts a few currencies and excuses aren't one of em.

My local food bank has a whole walk-in freezer full of meat, plus boxes of eggs, yogurt, cheese and milk, plus bags and cans filled with beans, lentils, stews and fish, plus many jars of nut butter.  Take it from someone who works in and studies the food business: there is no shortage of protein in industrialized nations.  What people usually have a problem with nowadays is vegetables.

I just find it unlikely that they would let me eat their meat, as it is expensive.

Just an idea... maybe you should stop assuming the answer to "Can I have something I want?" is "no."  Especially when someone who knows more than you about that particular thing tells you the answer might be "Yes, but only if you ask."

You'll never get anything you want if you start by assuming you can't have it and refusing to compromise.  This applies to a lot of things, not just food.  Relationships, for example.  Or fitness, while we're at it.  If you won't even bother to put up with a little teasing about portions, or ask a distributor of free food to give you some, then I guess you don't want to lose weight very much.

• Like 2

weight loss comes from hard work, consistency, and discipline.

These things when applied to anything will help you.

Ketogenics is not a magic bullet for weight loss . It is a way of eating that people follow in order to lose weight using hard work, consistency and discipline. The same with paleo, calorie counting , vegetarian, giving up pop, being more active.

if you do not have the option of choosing your own food then you can choose the amount you eat. A bigger meat and veggie portion at dinner. Instead of eating lots of bread make an open face sandwich. Or just eat the sandwich ingredients.

the fact you have to recognize is that if the choice is between Doing nothing and doing something , only one of those is going to give you any results.

• Like 3

I have a hard time believing your parents are truly that obsessed with your business.  Unless you have a history of disordered eating or mental illness, in which case they do have a good reason to worry.  Either way, please stop making excuses for your current behavior (or lack thereof) based on what you imagine other people might do in the future. What you are doing (or not doing) right now, that is real and within your control.

Act like a grownup and TALK to them.  You may be able to work things out.

If your parents are really just that weird, and if you fail to talk your way out, then I guess you have to decide which consequences you prefer: make your own food choices and accept harassment, or cede control of your food and stay fat for a couple more years.  I know which option I'd take, but I'm not you.

On 7/5/2017 at 1:43 AM, Bre1003 said:

My parents will throw a fit. They're very controlling. 

On 7/5/2017 at 0:19 PM, Bre1003 said:

Tell them that I'm eating the food I bought. They might take the opportunity to punish me and go through my stuff for having strange ideas.

You said that you're in high school.  It might be really uncomfortable (or even scary), but you have people there you can talk to, who can help you with your parents. A teacher you trust, school counselor, the nurse. Do you have any close friends? Try talking to their parents. Basically, get an adult in your corner.

Eating healthy isn't a strange idea, nor is buying food with your own money. And it is definitely not something that should be punished.

If your parents constantly shut you down, say no to everything you ask for because it's "too expensive", try to control your entire life, throw a fit when you try to be independent, look for opportunities to punish you and go through your stuff, I'm going to be honest, you need help with more than just food.

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

You said that you're in high school.  It might be really uncomfortable (or even scary), but you have people there you can talk to, who can help you with your parents. A teacher you trust, school counselor, the nurse. Do you have any close friends? Try talking to their parents. Basically, get an adult in your corner.

Eating healthy isn't a strange idea, nor is buying food with your own money. And it is definitely not something that should be punished.

If your parents constantly shut you down, say no to everything you ask for because it's "too expensive", try to control your entire life, throw a fit when you try to be independent, look for opportunities to punish you and go through your stuff, I'm going to be honest, you need help with more than just food.

I wish I could say this was new information.

Okay, well, you asked in your original post what we'd recommend.  You have received lots of recommendations.  What will you do now?

• Like 1