What to do if my parents don't approve of me dieting?

Bre1003

5 hours ago, Bre1003 said:

I wish I could say this was new information.

I guess I sound like a bit of a broken record then? :P But in all seriousness, have you talked to anyone around you about your parents? If you haven't, what's holding you back?

A bit of advice: nothing will change, unless you make it change. If you sit back, asking for suggestions, but never actually do anything with them, you'll remain stuck exactly where you are. All the people on this site who are trying to help you, they are here because they decided to stop sitting on their asses waiting for the perfect time, and they decided to actually do something. Yes, there are a lot of things you can't do. But you know what? You aren't helpless. Focus on the things that you can do now. Instead of saying "I can't do this because [reasons]" you need to say, "I can't do [X] now, but I can do [Y]."

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

On 7/6/2017 at 7:53 PM, zeroh13 said:

I guess I sound like a bit of a broken record then? :P But in all seriousness, have you talked to anyone around you about your parents? If you haven't, what's holding you back?

A bit of advice: nothing will change, unless you make it change. If you sit back, asking for suggestions, but never actually do anything with them, you'll remain stuck exactly where you are. All the people on this site who are trying to help you, they are here because they decided to stop sitting on their asses waiting for the perfect time, and they decided to actually do something. Yes, there are a lot of things you can't do. But you know what? You aren't helpless. Focus on the things that you can do now. Instead of saying "I can't do this because [reasons]" you need to say, "I can't do [X] now, but I can do [Y]."

I feel like a failure.

Well, why Keto?  Unless you are an epileptic, it is not a healthy diet.  I would suggest you focus on your health, not only weight loss.  I have a million suggestions (such as start doing the cooking in the home, then you can start modifying the meals, etc).  Your parents want you to be healthy and happy, they might be great at it, or they might suck at it, but I have never met a parent that wants their kid to be sick and miserable.  If you take the initiative, start doing more that is visible and acceptable to them (I have never seen a parent that turned down help) they will respond and become more flexible.  Often, parents don't believe their children will follow through with whatever fad they are going through this time, put in the effort, do the work over time, and they will become more flexible.  Get your Dr on board with your diet choices, an adult professional gives you credibility.  Go out for a team sport, then the coach can assist with advocating for a better diet.  Enlist help, do the work.

• Like 2

Just because I am right, does not mean I am RIGHT, or that you are wrong.