I'm back with a shiny new program! No barbells this time (well, they will make an appearance later in my program), but I am still focusing on strength.

For those of you that followed my previous thread, you'll remember my disillusionment when I realized that a lot of the authorities on strength training are d00d-focused. And the self proclaimed father of them all is a sexist turd. (Not all male fitness gurus are sexist by any means, but there is a lack of representation of women in the sport, which had me feeling excluded at times.) 

With the help of some friends, I found some female lead and focused programs that I feel good about supporting and don't make me feel like an inferior piece of garbage.

giphy.gif

So... I have chosen the Girls Gone Strong 12 week strength training program! 

Since I just had a three week summer break, I am going to get right to it.

Here are my goals for this challenge:

1. Document workouts in my bujo and create a blog post for each block of training (4 blocks 4 weeks each = 4 total blog posts for this program)
  2. Meal plan with Mr. Z every weekend before grocery shopping
  3. Meal prep every week w/ Mr. Z (including snacks!)
  4. Reflect for 5 minutes in my journal every night before bed

Now get to werk! 

• Like 10

c6678ac1c34dda6a96e6262538abbc36.png

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yessssss! So much here for this. I'm excited to follow along with you with this new program. 

3469a3e7d7edd9f0ebbf5fd6a762c3cb.gif

(^^ my first female superhero, scully) 

I love her!! My cats are named Mulder and Scully. Thanks so much for all of your help finding some programs I feel good about. <3 <3 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Shiny new programs!!! What's this one got you doing?

Also, good call on meal planning and prep!

Thank you! The fuel is just as important as the work. I was really slacking on the food before I left for vacay, and I felt it. Stay tuned for bujo pics! You'll see the programming I did today and what I've got on tap for (gasp) cardio tomorrow. 

• Like 1

When you say that you'd struggled to find female lead and designed programs, but had finally chosen one I was fully expecting to see you pull up a program from strongstrongfriends.com, but maybe that's just because when I hear women looking for that sort of thing, I tend to send them there.

Also, girlswhopowerlift.com is apparently a pretty good blog focused on female powerlifting. I don't really know as I don't read a lot of any blogs though.

Anyway, good luck with the new program, I'll be following to see how it goes.

• Like 5

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Block 1/Week 1/Day 1

Full Body Strength Workout A

This first block consists of two full body strength workouts (3 days/week), 30-40 minutes of moderate intensity cardio 1/week, and 10-15 mins of HIIT 1/week

Page 1- Weekly weigh in and AM reflection

6bnufM-54Dq9kTUN8h-8x10kkBWRARtAbl7-hWZl

Page 2- Workout

U5S_UcHjYChfRrtVl9jgGi0BuG4CbvwWQlbhnZu6

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

When you say that you'd struggled to find female lead and designed programs, but had finally chosen one I was fully expecting to see you pull up a program from strongstrongfriends.com, but maybe that's just because when I hear women looking for that sort of thing, I tend to send them there.

Also, girlswhopowerlift.com is apparently a pretty good blog focused on female powerlifting. I don't really know as I don't read a lot of any blogs though.

Anyway, good luck with the new program, I'll be following to see how it goes.

Now you have an additional resource for anyone that asks. :-) 

• Like 1

I'll be following closely, as I'm currently in programming limbo after crashing and burning (my knee) with the Stronglifts.  I've heard of GGS, so looking forward to your feedback.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On 6/30/2017 at 5:05 AM, Vibrantella said:

I'll be following closely, as I'm currently in programming limbo after crashing and burning (my knee) with the Stronglifts.  I've heard of GGS, so looking forward to your feedback.  Good luck!

Welcome and glad to have you! I just finished 12 weeks of Stronglifts. It worked well for me, but I sort of hit a wall with bench press and overhead press. I hope the GGS training that works more subtle muscle groups in addition to the groups used for the "big three" will help me progress on barbells. I did get to a point about 8 weeks in where I was not able to progress the way the app was telling me I should.

• Like 1

Friday 6/29

Conditioning Block 1 Week 1 Day 2

Bodyweight Circuit for Moderate Intensity Cardio (MIC)

3 circuits of:

10 BW squats

5 yd bear crawl

10 reverse lunges (each side)

10 dynamic blackburns

10 "safe" burpees (step back rather than jump back)

25 mins total

Macos

Calories 2233/2280

Protein 94/114

Carbs 188/285

Fat 72/76

Sugar 88/86

Fiber 26/23

Family came in to town to visit this evening. Went out to dinner. I have meals planned through Tuesday, and I will need to stay disciplined. I have budgeted to eat out a bit, but then the in-laws bring a box of doughnuts so... 

giphy.gif

• Like 9
23 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

Family came in to town to visit this evening. Went out to dinner. I have meals planned through Tuesday, and I will need to stay disciplined. I have budgeted to eat out a bit, but then the in-laws bring a box of doughnuts so... 

Family food offerings: the best, and the worst. I had guests come a few weeks ago that were all like "we brought you nothing". LOL - YASSSSSS to your inconsideration.

• Like 3

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

On 6/29/2017 at 8:20 PM, Deciduous said:

Awesome, and here!
il_340x270.1204780816_etbd.jpg

I NEED THIS.

Let me know your thoughts on the program? It looks like a great program and love their site, but haven't done the program at all.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

I NEED THIS.

Let me know your thoughts on the program? It looks like a great program and love their site, but haven't done the program at all.

Three days in—so far so good and ALL THE DOMS. There are no barbell lifts until block three or four (front squats). I am missing that a bit. However, I am noticing that sticking to 6 lifts only a la the Stronglifts beginner program has left me in need of some accessory work. It was great for getting started, but around week 8 or so I was starting to have trouble. I have stability issues with my SI joint and frequently get pain in my left hip. Heavy squats without lots of TLC can aggravate this. I don't think the squats were making those problem muscles more stable, which is where accessory work comes in.

The banded lateral walks, however, are changing my life. The program focuses on shoulder and hip/pelvis stability. I think it is just what my body needs before progressing further in my "big three" lifts.  

• Like 4