• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drakkoz

4th Week of Paleo/Primal - Observations and questions

This is my 4th week of Paelo/Primal, haven't cheated that much.

Observations:

1) I feel totally %(*#()$# awesome. I sleep better, longer, and have unlimited energy, even while doing a very demanding weight lifting regiment (SL 5x5).

2) Soy and Corn are in EVERYTHING. Holy shit, I have to avoid 90% of the isles in the supermarket.

3) I bought several cookbooks and the Paleo diet book (Cordain), great reads and helps out a lot with not getting bored eating.

Questions:

1) In Cordain's book he says that eating more than 35% protein as a macro nutrient is toxic. I am struggling to stay under this % eating Paleo. Things like chicken and tuna and cottage cheese are almost all protein and really throw off my %. Red meat is perfect but I don't want to eat so much of it, has anyone else had this problem?

2) I am really struggling to gain weight doing this diet. In 4 weeks I've lost 5 lbs (I'm lifting weights hardcore, I want to be going the other way, I only weigh 155lbs @ 6'0''). My body fat has dropped a little, but not much. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with losing fat, but I feel like I eat all day and barely manage to crack 2500 cal, I have a feeling I need to eat more, anyone have some tricks that worked for them?

Thanks -

Adam/Drak

If you are eating dairy (as indicated with Cottage Cheese), GOMAD. Milk is grow juice, almost without peer when it comes to making your bigger, both in good ways and bad (depending on how used).

Thanks for the ideas. GOMAD is something I have considered as a last resort. Cordain really has bad things to say about milk dairy and the saturated fats in them. I don't mind including a serving here and there but GOMAD is totally different. I suppose I could ease in and drink 3-4 servings a day of milk and see how it goes.

Saturated fat generally isn't considered bad anymore. Cordain has stated he was under a lot of pressure with his first book to toe the line with conventional wisdom, but has since revised his opinions. If you can get a raw milk source, that would be great. Even so, as long as supermarket milk doesn't cause gastronomic discomfort, I see no reason not to try it.

Really? I did not know that. I buy the hormone free stuff and it usually doesn't jack with my stomach. I will start to drink milk throughout the day and we'll see how it works. I'll keep an eye on my body fat% and as long as it doesn't skyrocket I should be ok. I'm thinking I'll need to be in the 3000cal range.

Thanks

I haven't really worried about my percentages of meat, I just try and have a good (half the plate) amount of veggies and some fat if the meat is lean. I try and make sure its not just protein Im trying to fill up on, but also veggies and fat.

I've done one week of paleo, and I have to agree - corn, wheat, soy, all that - is in everything, AND is really hard to go out to eat!! Bread bread bread everywhere, sugar and salt.

I've done one week of paleo, and I have to agree - corn, wheat, soy, all that - is in everything, AND is really hard to go out to eat!! Bread bread bread everywhere, sugar and salt.

Getting a steak or grilled chicken breast with a side of veggies is pretty easy lots of places. Sure, it may be coated in a bit of questionable-quality oil, but if it's not deep fried, it doesn't have that much oil, and is a reasonable choice overall.