Hey. I've been trying to lose weight for a few years now. I am a student. I've been rather sedentary since I was 10. That caught up to me, and now I have 30 pounds to lose. I am going to do a ketogenic diet. I have lost weight on it before, without exercise. My main struggles are with my parents. They buy almost exclusively bread products, and won't let me follow a ketogenic diet. Until I can move out, I will have to make do with what I've got.

I love video games, books, and animation.

Welcome to the forums.

Might I ask why you chose a keto diet to try?

Hows your drinking, are you drinking sugary drinks? I'd start there if you haven't.

a lot of losing weight isn't necessarily what way you choose to lose weight but consistency.

If your folks don't want to buy you that kind of food have you tried getting myfitnesspal on your phone and just tracking your calories?

Weight loss also come from having more calories out than in, what's your fitness activity, could you walk every day or check out the nerd fitness beginner body weight workout?

Glad you decided to join us, ask lots of questions!!

I chose a keto diet because it has worked well in the past. I realized on this diet that carbs wreck my mood. I was able to feel full for hours on this diet.

I like drinking chocolate milk. It and regular milk are my bane.

I have. However, my family berates me if they see me measuring anything. When I first tried dieting I restricted calories. But I was calculating incorrectly. I thought I would be having one cup of cereal, but it was actually closer to 3 cups.

I'll check out the workout. I don't think I could walk every day, unless I go to the gym. 

I've dieted multiple times, so I probably won't have many questions to ask. Unless you know magic words that would change my parents. It is refreshing to see a community for nerds. Especially since most geeks I've met aren't healthy(undereating or overeating). And since I don't think I'll ever become a gym rat.

Welcome to the rebellion :) 

:o it's terrible that your parents berate you for trying to be healthy. But sounds like that diet worked for you in the past, so it could be a good way to start. Like Garris ^ said, watch out for sugary drinks, and sweets in general. And you might not be a gymrat, but it's still good and healthy to be active in some form or another :)

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Bre1003 said:

I chose a keto diet because it has worked well in the past. I realized on this diet that carbs wreck my mood. I was able to feel full for hours on this diet.

I like drinking chocolate milk. It and regular milk are my bane.

I have. However, my family berates me if they see me measuring anything. When I first tried dieting I restricted calories. But I was calculating incorrectly. I thought I would be having one cup of cereal, but it was actually closer to 3 cups.

I'll check out the workout. I don't think I could walk every day, unless I go to the gym. 

I've dieted multiple times, so I probably won't have many questions to ask. Unless you know magic words that would change my parents. It is refreshing to see a community for nerds. Especially since most geeks I've met aren't healthy(undereating or overeating). And since I don't think I'll ever become a gym rat.

All things in in moderation my friend, nothing wrong with milk and chocolate milk, it's about know how much is good for you.

Im very to sorry to hear about your family, that sucks, but your making right decisions for you so either they accept that or that's to bad.

here are some of my thoughts on various items.

Food:

ive gone from 286 to currently 223 here's what I found worked for me.

i had to count calories. My sense of how much food I should be eating was so off from years of over eating that I needed to physically see and control how much I put in.

Ignore your family and measure.

I currently eat 1800-2000 calories per day, I don't do Keto or pales or any of that but I try to eat balanced.

i also made myself a weekly meal plan that was easy to follow and I think tastes good. I'm not on a diet, this is my lifestyle.

Breakfast:

3 eggs

56 grams all bran buds

1/2 cup 1% milk

Coffee break:

350 g Greek yogurt

30 g oats 

1 scoop chocolate protein powder

lunch:

2 slices of little big bread

4 slices of turkey

1 cup of spinach

mustard 

snacks:

1 container baby carrots

1 apple

50 g mixed nuts

this puts me at 1478 cals by the time I get home. Leaving me about 300-500 cals for dinner.

now I have the benefit of buying my own food, but this is just for an example. it's a simple plan and I get 175-185g of protein.

workouts and goals:

I walk on my off days. What I like to do it set my phone alarm for 15 mins, then put on a podcast. Then I start walking away from my house, in any direction. When the alarm goes off its time,to head back. Nice 30 min walk and I'm not bored because I'm listening to something I'm interested in

when I decided to start getting into working out it needed to be simple and something I could do at home. I started with some dumbells, but have recently gotten into mostly body weight excersizes.

pushups, squats, lunges, body weight rows. All can be done with no equipment and all can be made easier or harder depending on what level you are at.

Picking a workout goal is a great way to stay motivated to excersize because you can see the improvement .

In April I couldn't do 1 full push-up , I can now do 10 in a row, and I'm working on a program towards a hundred push-ups.

weight, size and that damn scale:

look I weigh myself, and got real bummed out when I would see my weight go up at all, that's when I found out that a normal persons weight can fluctuate up to 10lbs depending on water retention, if they took a dump, etc.

i got a tape measure. And measure myself every 2 weeks(sometimes I check 1 per week if I'm feeling insecure)

Sorry for the info dump, just trying to give you some options!!

Thanks for the info. My parents buy few eggs, but I think they're a great staple.They freak out about cholesterol. Thanks again. If my parents weren't so controlling...they'll purposely not buy healthy food that I like. It's hard not to let my feelings overtake me, sorry.