Hi everyone! You can call me Rocktavius (like Octavius, but with added rock), I'm a 28 year old lesbian living in Long Beach with my wife and cats. I think my story is a lot like other people's; I was never an athletic kid, and was always more inclined to stay in and read. I always felt too clumsy and too weak to be able to do a lot of athletic things besides ride a bike or play handball. I got married and became a great cook, both of which are good things, but they have a bad side. It has comfortable for me to be in a relationship, not keep up with fitness, and it's been easier to be able to blame my ballooning weight on "just having bad genes," "working too much," and hypothyroidism.

But I am bound and determined to change my life! I have become motivated to make some serious changes in my life. For the first time, I am working regularly on my first fantasy novel, and wrapping my head around what my life's mission and purpose should be, rather than dodging those uncomfortable questions, or numbing my discomfort with my life through video games or books or food.

I have also developed a plan to whip my butt into shape...but I have some questions.

This is my plan:

I have a friend who is a dietician, and recommended using the FDA site choosemyplate to monitor my calories and keep things around 1,500 - 1,800 a day. So, I have been using this for one month. On Saturday (which will mark 20 days) I'm switching from the FDA stuff to the paleo diet recommended by Steve, and also at The Whole 30. My idea is to compare the results. I am also walking almost two miles, 30 minutes, 5 days a week, doing the beginner body weight workout every other day, jogging in the evenings and taking more breaks at work to walk around and stretch.

I have lost an approximate 2-3 inches off my hips, which is great! I imagine that my body fat will decrease more rapidly with the paleo diet, too. My resting heart rate is back within normal limits, and I can walk faster, jog longer and lift more than before. However, since I've been on the FDA diet, I'm tired and hungry ALL. THE. TIME.

My question is this: I cannot STAND counting calories and trying to estimate how much spinach I'm eating in my salad, how many ounces of chicken that might be, was that a teaspoon of mustard or a tablespoon, etc. So, once I start the paleo diet, do I need to continue estimating calories? I imagine that taking out all grains and sugars will dramatically reduce my calorie load. Should I just be mindful of more caloric food, like avocados or nuts, and feel free to eat veggies and protein whenever I'm hungry? Or do I need to be mindful of calories?

(it's like they're TRYING to make me defeat the calorie limits. Seriously, to fill the Grain category, you need to eat 3 cups of brown rice, equaling over 600 calories. 3 cups of cooked broccoli is about 80 calories, and is over the Vegetable limit.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Human Adventurer

Equipment:

Pack

Stick

Determination!

Hi there Rocktavius (I like the explanation on your name ha) I'm just starting paleo too, so I'm not exactly the expert, but from what I've read and tried so far is not to really worry about the calories, but at the same time don't go wild with it. But you seem to have the gist of it, go big with protein and veggies, and nuts, avocados, and the like are perfectly fine, just don't base your diet on them. I've also heard a lot of people say to go easy on the fruits if you're in it for weight loss.

Not sure if any of that helped, but welcome aboard either way.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

This is an artist's rendition of what I would look like wearing suspenders. The bear thing happens almost daily.

Actually, I stole it from some t-shirt site, but I do feel like punching a bear on occasions.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge