• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fuji_fox

Fuji_fox: Summer edition

0DGlK8Ezirzk1KATkkdSX77wbbavAYjxXa3MJpKN

Had a great rest week; going to concerts, sleeping in, hanging out with friends, but it's time to get back to business as usual, so I'm starting the challenge a week early.

This time around will be a bit different, because I'll be traveling to the US from week 3 and won't be able to keep my usual routine. I'd like to stay on track as much as possible, though! Also time to start training for the aquathlon in 2 months, meaning I need to start a real running program.

1. Swimming: Week 0-3 -- Swim 2x a week, or more. Would also really like to hit the beach and practice open water swimming a few times too.

Week 3-4 will be spent in the States (mostly in middle of nowhere, Missouri) where access to any kind of swimming area (pool or even lake) means an hour drive in any direction.  So we'll see what happens.  

2. Running: Planning 3 runs a week: one long (easy), one speedwork-focused, and one tempo (preferably run after swimming).  Recently I've really enjoyed getting back into running, but I need to be careful not to push myself too hard.

3. Core/Cross: Do some kind of core exercises every day.  Do at least one cross-training exercise a week (cycling, hiking, etc.)

*Bonus*: Planning to climb Mt. Fuji this month!!! I've climbed it before, years ago, but my husband never has and wants to try.  My biggest memory is how cold it was at the summit, so going to prepare like an adult this time and not just wing it in a hoodie and shorts like before XD 

4. Diet: a ) No sweets before 7:00pm on weekdays

b ) try to get in 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day

c ) 2+ liters of water/day

5. Japanese: a ) keep reading Murakami's 1000 page epic

b ) study new vocab, focused on topics that interest me.  Since most of my day is spent talking to 12-15 year olds, I'm really good at talking about certain subjects (music, anime, sports, etc) but sometimes when I get a chance to talk to actual grown ups about grown up topics like politics or current events, my vocabulary fails me.  Need to spend some extra time in summer break learning more advanced phrases.

Another long list of goals this time, but I'm excited to see if I can do it ^^ 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Primeval said:

Upping your game... I like it. Sounds like a great month ahead. Where are you going in the US?

Spending 5 days with a friend in Seattle, then headed to the Midwest: Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa.  Not looking forward to the heat! 

3 hours ago, noxiousGnome said:

What part of Missouri?

Southwest, the nearest recognisable town is probably Springfield.  Staying at my dad's farm way out in the country, so (hopefully) will have lots of time to relax in nature (^^♪

Week 0 update:

1. Swimming: Swam 3 times.  Went to the beach to practice swimming in open water, and it was pretty unpleasant... there's quite a lot of plankton this year, and the water was super murky.  But I did about 30 minutes practicing sighting the buoys and getting the feel for swimming with waves, and I think I'll be alright for the race (though probably not very fast).

2. Running: 2 runs.  One was after the ocean swim, so I could see how it felt running right after. It wasn't too bad! 

3. Core/Cross: Did 5/7 days core, and 4 days cycling to work.

*Bonus* Preparing to climb Mt Fuji next week! As long as the weather is fine, we'll climb Saturday night and watch the sun rise on Sunday morning, then decend that afternoon.  I know it'll be crowded at the weekend, but still looking forward to it (^^♪

4. Diet: a ) No sweets before 7:00pm on weekdays: A+

b ) try to get in 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day: A+

c ) 2+ liters of water/day: B (didn't quite drink enough some days)

5. Japanese: a ) Read some Murakami, but a coworker lent me some volumes of JoJo's bizarre adventure, so took time to read that. Not much useful vocabulary in it, unless I want to curse at somebody... 

b ) Started studying vocabulary related to law, not because it interests me, but because husband is a paralegal and is daily asking me how to say certain words in English (though to be honest I don't always know the English meaning either (´-﹏-`;))

Overall, not a bad start (≧▽≦)

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 2:33 AM, Fuji_fox said:

1. Swimming: Swam 3 times.  Went to the beach to practice swimming in open water, and it was pretty unpleasant... there's quite a lot of plankton this year, and the water was super murky.  But I did about 30 minutes practicing sighting the buoys and getting the feel for swimming with waves, and I think I'll be alright for the race (though probably not very fast).

How was the water temperature?  We went to lake Michigan over the holiday, and the water was freezing.    

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 2:33 AM, Fuji_fox said:

a ) Read some Murakami, but a coworker lent me some volumes of JoJo's bizarre adventure, so took time to read that. Not much useful vocabulary in it, unless I want to curse at somebody... 

b ) Started studying vocabulary related to law, not because it interests me, but because husband is a paralegal and is daily asking me how to say certain words in English (though to be honest I don't always know the English meaning either (´-﹏-`;))

I just assume your notes are starting to blend together and your husband is sick of these mother f-ing clauses in his mother f-ing mitigation case at work.  Also your husband is now Samuel L Jackson.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Baldilocks said:

How was the water temperature?  We went to lake Michigan over the holiday, and the water was freezing.    

Quite warm! The ocean around Tokyo might not be the best, but it's a comfortable swimming temperature until the end of August, when there are lots of jellyfish. My image is that lake Michigan is pretty cold even in summer.  I bet it was refreshing, at least!

17 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

I just assume your notes are starting to blend together and your husband is sick of these mother f-ing clauses in his mother f-ing mitigation case at work.  Also your husband is now Samuel L Jackson.

Haha, exactly! 

• Like 2

Week 1:

1. Swimming: 2 swims, both group training sessions at the pool. Favorite coach has taken over one of the classes, so I could get some great advice this week.

2. Running: only once this week. Partially because of the heat, but mostly because I wanted to rest up before climbing up a 3,776m volcano (which turned out to be a wise decision) (;^ω^)

3. Core/Cross: Did plenty of cross training, but not so great with the core (maybe 3 days?) Oh well...

*Bonus* Climbed Mt. Fuji Saturday night. It was amazing! More beautiful than I remembered. Also, way more extreme than I remembered (oxygen deprivation is no joke). Great memories, but my legs are definitely feeling it now (*_*;)

4. Diet: a ) No sweets before 7:00pm on weekdays: Solid A. Had one sweet drink midday, but no sweets that evening. Finally, starting to feel like my crazy sweet tooth is under control!

b ) try to get in 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day: B+.

c ) 2+ liters of water/day: A+. Too hot to NOT drink 2 liters of water a day.

5. Japanese: a ) Trying desperately to finish Killing Commendatore volume one so I can have volume two to read during my trip to the US. Only 50 pages to go!

b ) Learned the word "登山病", i.e. altitude sickness, lol. Also have been watching the news a lot? A cop out, but still, it counts in my book ( ´∀`)

13dec9bd2ff1479d98f3c89aca5d97e8.jpgba420b7d2af6522e69ae5327df890683.jpg

• Like 4