• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Machete

Machete's Hierarchy of Needs: Physiology, Part 2

Moving closer to that 12am bedtime. It's definitely the TV. Forgot about my no social media in bed last night, but it wasn't too bad. Forgot to meditate in the car as well.

Finished 30 days of Headspace,. finally. I'll see what this brings.

Missed calories yesterday by a bit, but that's fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BJJ competition today. I've been competing in martial arts since the early '90s (and being owned), and in submission grappling since '09, and I'm still absolutely terrified going in there. The wait is insane. Can't concentrate, heart racing, elevated temperature, etc. And it sucks because I check-in at 0830 and start at around noon, so that's like 4 hours of me wasting energy through anxiety. Although it might be just my body recognizing that it's game time, and prepping everything for maximal performance, because historically I have been able to perform better in competitions than in training. Who knows? I definitely prefer a short wait.

Anyway, decided to go Featherweight (154) so I wouldn't have to cut weight and I'll have to use more technique and less brute force. Middleweight (181) blue belt's only opponent was a no-show, so they asked me if I wanted to get some extra matches in. Why not? Poor guy was the first one in a gi over there, and had been waiting all day. Our first match was okay. Definitely wasn't able to muscle anything, though he pulled guard, which I thought was weird. Great triangles. Got me by points. Next we went again for submission-only. Definitely felt that 30+ pound weight difference. Got Triangled twice. New cauliflower ear. Got called in for a submission-only semis at Featherweight. Guy was pretty good, pulled guard as well and kept me in the Lockdown. Eventually got him in a Triangle and got that one. I then faced another young prodigy, straight from Brazil, for submission-only first, then a regular match. Nice kid. Tapped a black belt on the first round of no-gi and was just owning people. I felt I gave an entertaining enough match; I got Armbarred and Oma Plataed twice. Other guy in the division got him in a Triangle in their finals match, which was surprising for everyone; second time that has happened to a guy I faced.

Anyway, overall a good tournament, even though I got submitted a bunch and only won one. Took home a bunch of medals. I might take a week, then it's back to training.

• Like 3

Osu. Y'all be savages on the mat. I need to get my guts back up to go out for shiai at some point too and just get ippwned for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Do people use wrestling style headgear in BJJ and if not is it just because of convention or is there actually a rule or some disadvantage to it?

Not in some competitions for some reason. I've been wearing mine a lot in training lately, and people make fun of it. My ears just seem to get destroyed quicker than everyone else's.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Rooks said:

I really need to final bite the bullet and find a BJJ gym I can go to on the regular. 

gm16rr.gif

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Osu. Y'all be savages on the mat. I need to get my guts back up to go out for shiai at some point too and just get ippwned for a while.

Not guard-pullers. Haha.

20374653_10154629608186965_7901000007256

Don't know, I'm a hater.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got my Supertotal in yesterday. I'm always feeling like I can Snatch and Clean & Jerk more than I do, I'm just not willing to put in the time and I don't have the courage to dive under the bar. My back is beat-the-hell-up, I'm taking today off. Meal prep day it is.

Woke up late as well. Made it to bed by around 12am, but I ended up reading about Suikoden for the next two hours in bed before I caught myself. SOMEBODY is responsible for this. Hahaha

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Machete said:

Woke up late as well. Made it to bed by around 12am, but I ended up reading about Suikoden for the next two hours in bed before I caught myself. SOMEBODY is responsible for this. Hahaha

I... what. What are you saying. Why this sudden accusatory tone. I don't understand.

seriously where is Suikoden VI

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 0:02 PM, Kishi said:

I... what. What are you saying. Why this sudden accusatory tone. I don't understand.

seriously where is Suikoden VI

Hahaha. I was sent into a black hole of Suikoden Wikia for several days. Damn, that was a good game. Less flashy graphics, more character development and storylines.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories are always fine, sleep has been improving, meditation rather neglected. Overall just feeling beat-up from last week.

• Like 2

Well, that's understandable though, yeah? You flipped the crazy switch a couple of times - not just on tourney but also on the powerlifting challenge that the Warriors set out.

Have you found yourself in a position where you can still practice?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, Kishi said:

Well, that's understandable though, yeah? You flipped the crazy switch a couple of times - not just on tourney but also on the powerlifting challenge that the Warriors set out.

Have you found yourself in a position where you can still practice?

Yeah. I got a class in and a light open mat. Wasn't much of a break, but I feel good.