• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ETFnerd

Are Whole Foods Always Better than Processed Foods?

@oystergirl, Are you saying table salt was made as a by product of other chemical production? I am sorry but that is simply not true. Salt has been a major commodity for over a thousand of years and has been in production as a refined product in the Western world as far back 1600s.

Table salt is fortified with iodine not because of the process of refining it but because of general deficiency of iodine in the many people's diets. This is a problem that has gotten worse with reduction of salt in many processed foods the substitution of sea salt for table salt. Sea Salt is simply not a good source of iodine. Checkout this Livestrong article on the subject, Does Sea Salt Have Iodine in It?.

Let's face it there are some bogus claims on the healthy food side of the table as well. Nobody is perfect.:tranquil:

Why does everyone think corn subsidies are why corn is cheap? Corn subsidies only come into play when the price per bushel drops below a certain threshold. That hasn't happened in quite a few years. Corn is cheap because it's the #1 crop grown in the U.S and is relatively simple to grow using giant tractors and implements in areas with acres upon acres of flat ground and good annual rainfall. AND corn isn't the only crop with subsidies.

In fact, virtually every single crop grown in America has a government program supporting it in some form or fashion, to include organic crops. And don't get me started on organic crops. The standards for what constitute organic vary from state to state with varying levels of enforcement. That organic cucumber is just as likely to riddled with plant disease as the regular is to be covered with pesticides. Pick your poison.

I think hydrogenated fats are a fairly obvious counter-point here - though I think this is a more complex discussion than that.

Was reading through the discussion when I saw this, and hydrogenated trans-fats are an example, I think, of the industry being on the ball.

We realized that trans fats are absolutely HORRID for your system. It's universal; it's an un-arguable truth now, which is saying something compared to most nutrition debates.

As such, it's been a very, very long time since I saw trans-fat listed on any food packaging. Even in margarine, which was the traditional trans-fatty hydrogenated oil.

We realized it was bad, people stopped eating it, industry started looking elsewhere.

No covering up. No industry scamming/shamming. It's gone. It may as well not even be a sub-category on packaging anymore.

Just personal experience though. Anyone with an example of food that still contains plenty of trans-fats and I'll make my exit on one foot whilst attempting to remove my other foot from my mouth :)

i think Canada was ahead of the curve on this compared to the US... especially when it came to trans fats... i remember 8 years ago I was in a fast food joint and every sign said no trans fats... i don't see that here except on some packaged goods...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-foods-with-trans-fats

i think pre-pack baked goods are the main culprit these days...

Edited by ETFnerd

Totally a possibility ETF. Looking over all those 'top 10' items and referencing current food packaging, I see no trans fats listed, although higher sat fat levels can be found. Almost like they just replaced the trans with sat...

Totally a possibility ETF. Looking over all those 'top 10' items and referencing current food packaging, I see no trans fats listed, although higher sat fat levels can be found. Almost like they just replaced the trans with sat...

Wasn't trans fat supposed to be a synthetic replacement for saturated fat?