My First Challenge

BP88

I'm Billy and I'm brand new to NF. I joined a few weeks ago and have never posted before, but I was excited to try a 4 week challenge and was hoping that by posting my challenge and continuing to update regularly, it will keep me accountable to follow through on it. I thought the challenge started today, but it looks like I was a week early! Having said that, I was mentally ready to go, so I'm posting it anyway.

Quest 1: Do NF Body weight workout 1A/1B 3X a week until I'm ready to move on. Both me and my wife will be doing this together, and we're both excited to be doing something active again workout wise.

Quest 2: Complete the 30 day walking challenge. I did the 7 days in a row, and as of right now I've done 15 days in a row. I'm going to start back at 1 for the challenge, and I can already tell that after a few weeks its starting to become a habit. I'm hoping that at the end of the challenge it is completely a habit.

Quest 3: Follow my wife's eating plan for 30 days straight. She has lost a lot of weight doing the curves diet, and I'm going to do that with her and just modify for me to get a few more calories. I want to track my food in MyFitness Pal every day (I've never been able to do that before consistently) to start trying to understand my diet better. I need to do my before measurements (Ive been avoiding this!) as well. Finally, I'm going to make it my goal to not weigh for an entire month on the challenge. This actually might be the hardest part for me because in the past, I have been obsessed with weighing and it was always great until i inevitably had a bad day, and the number on the scale would cause me to spiral out of control and lose whatever progress I made. So I'm staying away from it for a whole month to see if it helps.

Quest 4: The last quest will be to keep a journal for 30 days. I want to see what works and what doesn't and I'm hoping that by keeping a journal I will be able to assess everything better in the future. A few years ago when my wife and I were in school, we lost a lot of weight and got in great shape. However, neither one of us tracked anything, so we have no idea how we really did it and we have to reinvent the wheel to do it again. So I'm hoping that by making this a habit it will give me some insight in the future as to what works.

Good luck to everybody doing their challenges and I'm excited to get going!

• Like 1

Hey Billy, welcome to NF!

We had two weeks of downtime between last challenge and this one instead of just one like usual, which is probably where the confusion came from. It threw me off, too. 

Your quests look great and it's awesome you're able to do them together with your wife. I'm sure that'll help both of you stay on track. 

Let us know if you have any questions about the forums or anything, and best of luck! Now get going! :D 

11 hours ago, Artemis said:

Welcome to the Rebellion!  How are things going so far? 

Thanks! So far its been great. Ive been perfect on all of my quests. I'm actually shocked Ive kept it together all week. I think the challenge has been great to keep me focused. Plus I knew i was going to have to come on here and let everybody know if it didn't go so well! The hardest part is not weighing myself. My pants are already fitting better and I really want to know how much weight Im down.

• Like 1

Just updating to stay accountable...my first week went almost as well as I could've imagined. I lost it a bit when we went to dinner on date night, but we quickly got back on track on Sunday. I also got all 3 workouts in and walked everyday. It's killing me not to know how much weight I've lost, but I also know that not weighing on Sunday morning is what saved me from giving up after a bad night of eating. I was much more excited about getting going again not knowing what the damage was.

im very excited to build on that and see how much I can change in this challenge 

• Like 1

Sorry it took so long to check back in. Last week went as well as the first. I'm really starting to believe that staying away from the scale was the key for me. We did go out last night and eat bad, but it was scheduled so there hasn't been anything surprising cause problems yet. Next week will be tough because we have a few big events at work that they cater food for, and in the past this had always caused me to go off the rails. If I can get through that though, I think it will be pretty simple to finish the challenge strong. I've been struggling for years to get my diet back under control, and it's been shockingly easy to do over the last few weeks. Like I said, I attribute that all to not having a scale to cause me to lose focus, and having this challenge to keep me focused when I normally lose it. If I can get through next week, I know I'll go all out in the final week to see how much I can lose over the 4 weeks. It's been awesome so far 

• Like 1

Best of luck with your tough schedule next week! Although it sounds anti-social even as I write it, is it possible that you could bring your own lunch on at least one of the catered-food days and protect yourself? 

If not, go ahead and eat, but remember that you did when you check the scale next week, and don't be too hard on yourself if things aren't going the way you want! As far as weight goes, what you're looking for is a general downward trend, not a perfect decline. (Even within a day, your weight can fluctuate several pounds, so it's natural you'll have some tougher weigh-ins every now and again.) 

Keep it up and let us know if there's anything we can do to support you! You're doing great so far!

My week at work was awesome. I brought my lunch each day and didn't eat anything that was catered. That was a huge step for me. I don't think I've ever been able to do that. The one downside this week was we went on a short trip this weekend and my diet wasn't as good as it's been the last 3 weeks. It was the inevitable slip up I've kind of been waiting for the whole challenge, but I'm staring to develop the habit of getting over the mistakes quickly since I don't see the scale so I'm excited to finish out the 4 weeks strong. We packed healthy snacks and I even got a salad from a grocery store on the drive home. That would never happen before, as I would quit fighting and just get fast food. It's kind of like even though it was a slip up, it almost gives me some perspective on how much I've changed in 3 weeks to bounce back like that. I'm going to go all out for the last week because my clothes are starting to really fit different so I'm excited to see how much I've lost. I think even if it's not as much as I'm hoping for, it's already been a huge success because I proved to myself to this point that I can do it, it will just take time. I appreciate you guys checking in. I was bad about posting last week so I'll try and be better this week. Thanks for the support!

• Like 3
On 7/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, BP88 said:

My week at work was awesome. I brought my lunch each day and didn't eat anything that was catered. That was a huge step for me. I don't think I've ever been able to do that.

That's amazing! Way to go! 

Any reflections on how well you liked bringing your own lunch, how easy/difficult it was, how likely you might be to repeat the performance? ;)

The one downside this week was we went on a short trip this weekend and my diet wasn't as good as it's been the last 3 weeks. It was the inevitable slip up I've kind of been waiting for the whole challenge, but I'm staring to develop the habit of getting over the mistakes quickly since I don't see the scale so I'm excited to finish out the 4 weeks strong.

That's so awesome I can't even say. I'm so proud of you for letting "slip-ups" not bother you and just waiting for the scheduled weigh-in. You got this! 

We packed healthy snacks and I even got a salad from a grocery store on the drive home. That would never happen before, as I would quit fighting and just get fast food. It's kind of like even though it was a slip up, it almost gives me some perspective on how much I've changed in 3 weeks to bounce back like that. I'm going to go all out for the last week because my clothes are starting to really fit different so I'm excited to see how much I've lost. I think even if it's not as much as I'm hoping for, it's already been a huge success because I proved to myself to this point that I can do it, it will just take time. I appreciate you guys checking in. I was bad about posting last week so I'll try and be better this week. Thanks for the support!

Ugggh I'm sooo happy for you. This post was exactly what I needed to see today, because even though I've been busy lately I feel like I'm running around in circles and just getting through miscellany, not really addressing my main goals. Aim to be more like BP88! Do what you know to be right, and the rest will fall into place! I can do it!

You're fantastic, BP88. Keep it up with your challenge, you're doing a fantastic job (it sounds like you know already ;) ). And let us know if there's anything we can do to keep supporting you or anything. :)

8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

That's amazing! Way to go! 

Any reflections on how well you liked bringing your own lunch, how easy/difficult it was, how likely you might be to repeat the performance? ;)

That's so awesome I can't even say. I'm so proud of you for letting "slip-ups" not bother you and just waiting for the scheduled weigh-in. You got this! 

Ugggh I'm sooo happy for you. This post was exactly what I needed to see today, because even though I've been busy lately I feel like I'm running around in circles and just getting through miscellany, not really addressing my main goals. Aim to be more like BP88! Do what you know to be right, and the rest will fall into place! I can do it!

You're fantastic, BP88. Keep it up with your challenge, you're doing a fantastic job (it sounds like you know already ;) ). And let us know if there's anything we can do to keep supporting you or anything. :)

Thanks for the kind words! Its definitely been difficult making the change to taking my own lunch, but the key for me has been meal prepping. There's no way if I waited until the morning that I would make a good choice. I read a book a long time ago that talked about the key to consistency in anything is to basically pre-program everything to where you don't have to make a choice in the moment, because most of the time you will take the path of least resistance. Its not a knock on anyone that does that, the book argued that's just the way we are programed and the idea behind us even having the ability to create habits in the first place since the path of least resistance is the least mentally taxing in the moment and it lets your mind focus on other things. That would tend to translate for me into the bad habits around breakfast and lunch. I used to eat a bar every morning and since the challenge started, I have made eggs every morning. I knew this would be tough coming into the challenge and remembering that gave me a real purpose behind meal prepping. Otherwise, it would be too easy to say "I'll make a healthy choice at lunch when I get there". Ive done that too many times :) I know how that ends...

I can undoubtedly say at this point that the key to my success has been not weighing. I thought it would help a little in the beginning, but I had no idea it would be this big of a deal. Ive always heard it preached that you should focus on the process and not results, and it always sounded good on paper but I was never able to put it into practice until now. Its crazy to me that all it took was turning it into a challenge and i would actually follow through. I'm still shocked at how well this is going, and the no-weigh ins part of my challenge was kind of a throw away part of it that has turned out to be huge. I'm almost positive Ive plateaued over the last month, but I wouldn't know because I haven't looked at the scale and so just keep on rolling and I'm so much better of for it then getting emotional after the scale says something I don't like.

Hope everyone else's challenge is going great now that everybody is on the back half. I'm looking forward to seeing some great success stories!

• Like 2

It sounds like it's been amazing challenge so far! And 100% congrats on figuring out your main issues - meal prep and weighing.

Though, can I suggest that you don't weigh yourself after the challenge? Weighing yourself at the end of a challenge is a pretty good way of seeing a trend, but would pictures work better? Or a tape measure? Scales can be tricky things - especially depending on the time of day of measurement and the food that you ate the previous day. Pictures tends to be a better boost and you can still see the change.

Keep at it! How's the exercise routine coming along??

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

On 7/29/2017 at 7:23 AM, IAmInfinite said:

It sounds like it's been amazing challenge so far! And 100% congrats on figuring out your main issues - meal prep and weighing.

Though, can I suggest that you don't weigh yourself after the challenge? Weighing yourself at the end of a challenge is a pretty good way of seeing a trend, but would pictures work better? Or a tape measure? Scales can be tricky things - especially depending on the time of day of measurement and the food that you ate the previous day. Pictures tends to be a better boost and you can still see the change.

Keep at it! How's the exercise routine coming along??

That's great advice...however I saw it a little late haha. Its ok though, I feel like the scale has the least influence over me of any of the analysis tools at this point, because Ive seen such a change in my body, clothes, and energy levels over the past month.

This has been an amazing 4 weeks for me. The only reason I even attempted a challenge was on a whim back around 4th of July. Its turned out to be one of the best things Ive done in a while. I did my retrospective and realized that while I felt like it was a flawless month on a lot of fronts, it was far from it. The exercise was the least successful of all the quests, but I'm not worried about it. I know I can figure that out and build on what I have going here. However, the fact that things went that well and I wasn't even close to perfect gives me a lot of hope going forward and makes me want to strive to eat even cleaner and get the working out back under control.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with how things went. I lost 14.8 lbs and Ive already started to feel the aches and pains that were scaring me into making healthy changes go away. Its kind of weird, the thing I'm most proud of is how well the eating went. Its been years since I was able to stay under control like that, and to be honest, I had kind of given up on myself as far as ever being a disciplined eater again. One of the things the retrospective showed me was how lucky I was to have my wife supporting me and helping me plan snacks and lunch, and making healthy dinners. However, Ive committed to being more responsible next time as far as going to the store and making things myself, because shes a teacher and will be under a lot of stress soon when school starts back up and I cant let that cause us to go in reverse, simply because I differ the responsibility for food prepping and shopping to her right now. That and time management will be the two things I focus on next to really build on what I did this time.

I also appreciate all the support I received here from everyone. I'm relatively shy by nature, so it was nice having people reach out and encourage me. There were multiple times that the NF community helped me in the last month, and I certainly would not have accomplished what I did without you kind words. There was an email from Steve a few weeks ago that talked about his struggles, and he had a line in it that basically said make a deliberate decision to do something hard and do it for the rebellion. This came at the perfect time as I was getting tested with all the catering at work, and it really powered me through that tough stretch and now on the other side I feel like I have a reference for next time that says I can do it.

Anyway, thank to everybody who helped me with my first challenge, and I'm excited to get started on my next soon!

• Like 3

Way to go BP88!! It's fantastic to hear you've made so much progress and that the NF community is really working for you. 

What is all this "retrospective" and "how things went" stuff, though? Are you doing your challenges based on the calendar month? This one's still going until Aug 5, so we've got nearly another week to go! ;)

Still, it's great to hear you're looking to the future and planning for some changes coming your way regarding scheduling and support irl. It's always good to take note of how things may change and how those changes could derail you, so you can plan strategies to stay on task in advance. 

Keep it up! 

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Way to go BP88!! It's fantastic to hear you've made so much progress and that the NF community is really working for you. 

What is all this "retrospective" and "how things went" stuff, though? Are you doing your challenges based on the calendar month? This one's still going until Aug 5, so we've got nearly another week to go! ;)

Still, it's great to hear you're looking to the future and planning for some changes coming your way regarding scheduling and support irl. It's always good to take note of how things may change and how those changes could derail you, so you can plan strategies to stay on task in advance. 

Keep it up! 

Yeah...timing has never been my thing and as usual I was a little off on my start date :). I started my challenge a week before everybody else on the 3rd so my last day was today. I'm already planning and will probably start my next one after next week and just make it a 5 week challenge instead of a 4 week. Being on the same schedule as everyone else would just make things too easy haha

• Like 3

Yay for doing really well this challenge! And managing the hardest part (I always think) - looking back and seeing what didn't go so well and how to improve in the future. But amazing job on the weight loss!! 

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

23 hours ago, BP88 said:

Yeah...timing has never been my thing and as usual I was a little off on my start date :). I started my challenge a week before everybody else on the 3rd so my last day was today. I'm already planning and will probably start my next one after next week and just make it a 5 week challenge instead of a 4 week. Being on the same schedule as everyone else would just make things too easy haha

A lot of people start their challenge during zero week (the prep/break week between challenges) and have a five week challenge. I usually start then, and use zero week as a test to see if anything needs tweaking. (My next challenge will be up and ready to go on August 6th.)

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

9 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

A lot of people start their challenge during zero week (the prep/break week between challenges) and have a five week challenge. I usually start then, and use zero week as a test to see if anything needs tweaking. (My next challenge will be up and ready to go on August 6th.)

A lot of people worry that if they take a break from challenges, they'll get derailed on all their goals. A five week challenge is perfectly reasonable (the original format was actually six-week challenges, back in the day), and as Zeroh suggests a trial week is a great idea to iron out the details. 

The current challenge that's going on threw everyone off because it's the only one preceded by two weeks of "down time." Even though it says it'll happen in the 4WC Rules and FAQ section, we were all caught off guard. If you don't like being on the same schedule as everyone else, that's fine, but there's no reason to force yourself to stay off-schedule if you don't want to. 

• Like 1