Is this thing on? Oh hi!

Hello experienced folks!

I'm new, obviously, and just want to say Hi. 

I've decided to actually start my journey after having commitment issues to many goals I set for myself. On the bright side I make it a little bit closer to finish my month long goals each time, but thats just an excuse to make myself feel better.

I've chosen to try again because I'm at a stepping off point in my life. I started reading "Level Up your Life" a few months ago, and then the unexpected happened and I finally landed a job in my field. "That's wonderful!" You might say, and it is, however, it brought me here to the middle of nowhere Northern California where everything is an hour or more away. Let me give a little back story.

I'm an archaeologist, I specialize in Osteology (human bones) I've worked very hard at getting a masters degree, and I did it abroad where I had all sorts of adventures. I loved my life in school. But then I came home with my super awesome degree... and I had to start adulting. Nothing went to plan. I was fortunate enough to get a job after a few months and I was fortunate enough that my parents let me live at home. But that's not what I wanted with my life. Over the last 4 years I was constantly trying to break into my field, I discovered I really didn't like my job but I didn't have many options, especially since I wanted to move out of my parents house and live with my partner. 

Some goals accomplished, I moved out, I paid off one student loan completely (not that it made a dent), and was happy with my home life. But I wasn't happy with my career. I still am anxious about it. 

Fast forward a bit, 2 months ago I was offered my very first archaeology job. I couldn't say no, I needed a foot in the door. However, it brought me out here to Northern California. Where I have a lot of time to reflect. Archaeology isn't all Indiana Jones adventures and kicking ass, it a lot of surveying the ground looking for tiny flakes. So everyday I walk, and I think. And I have time to wonder "what the hell am I going to do in 4 months when this is over" and "I miss my family and my partner I want to go back to the East Coast". I don't want to go back to my dead end job working for a company that doesn't appreciate me. But in the world of archaeology you work in the summer, and the competition is fierce. 

So, on to why I'm joining the rebellion, I have the time. I need something to keep me from entering the black void of worry. And I figure if I can spend the next 4 months developing great habits I can take those home with me and still feel like I'm accomplishing something when I'm trying to figure out my life again. 

My goals:

1. Practice my French (I suck at it, always have, but I can still practice.)

2. Actually complete my Yoga calendar this month (I've failed 4 times)

3. Read more (I used to read ALL the time, then the internet happend, Nothing changes on FB in 10 min. Why do I keep checking?!)

4. Learn to run. (I'm at the highest elevation I will likely ever be (5,000ft) so why not used the lack of O2 to learn to run)

and that is my story in a nut shell. A bit on whining and complaining. But I'm working on that too. Positivity!

HELLO ALL! 

• Like 1

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

Looks like you've got some good short-term goals picked out, but as long as you have all that time walking around looking for flakes, why not think about what you would like to do when it's not summer archeology season? 

Obviously applying for archeology gigs will be part of your off season, as it is a super competitive field. But student loans are a real thing, and so is rent if you move out of your parent's place. You don't have to go back to your dead-end job, but where will you go? What kind of life do you want to have? 

Let us know if you have any questions about the forums or the challenges or anything. Poking your life goals aside, we're a friendly bunch. ;) 

Hey!  Welcome on board!  Have you found your way around the forums yet?

There are a lot of different sections/sub forums and how you personally use the forum is up to you, you can start a Battle log and use it to track your progress, you can take part in challenges, or you can simply soak up information and use it to improve your workouts/eating etc, or just hang out in the Chat Room. It's totally up to you. 

I like to recommend the 4 Week Challenges to people because it makes you an active participant in the forum and let's you meet other members, form friendships and get some accountability on your progress. They're also a really good tool to help you reach your long term goals by breaking them down into smaller, short term goals which I think is important in keeping you motivated.

Hope to see you about. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously