Mad Hatter does... something?

5 minutes ago, sylph said:

Well, maybe my choreography is your flow and combo clean up? It's all about putting things together and getting in and out of them cleanly?

Abs & Inverts - seems solid enough to build a goal around, though I'm not sure how exactly...

Flexibility & PreHab - partial credit/small points for 10 mins of whatever desk stretches/minor things; full credit/large points for doing something like the circque physio splits exercises or Starting Stretching or whatever? Medium points for something that's consciously pre-hab related?

Choreo & Flow - Stringing together at least two skills in a clean and/or interesting fashion. Bonus points for video?

Diet - if we're each paying some attention to food (cals for me, extra protein or increased veggies or whatever you're up for) that's fine ... or this is my life goal and yours is Finnish. ;)

Well, apparently I'm on board for setting up some kind of scoring thing. Edit, tweak or overhaul as you will.

This is going to be great, I can already tell! :) Maybe we should separate out the abs for a larger PvP, seems like there are at least a few people that want to join. And then we could just have invert/shoulder mount practice for points? And let's do diet something, I could definitely use an extra boost for getting my eating back on track!

2 minutes ago, karinajean said:

HATTER your challenge is amazing, you are clearly living in a magical fairy land that has people who are JUST AS NUTTERS ABOUT THE SHINY as you are, and it's summertime. if this is a venn diagram your face is right in the middle with an arrow that says AWESOME!

UM is there going to be a bigger abs challenge next time? because I will be sorta beaching it and would like something like that to keep me honesty while away. just saying. I know that this isn't about ME. but just saying.

:love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:

Yeah I reckon we should do a bigger abs challenge and get more people involved!

3 hours ago, karinajean said:

UM is there going to be a bigger abs challenge next time? because I will be sorta beaching it and would like something like that to keep me honesty while away. just saying. I know that this isn't about ME. but just saying.

If other folks want to join the crazy, who am I to judge?

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

This is going to be great, I can already tell! :) Maybe we should separate out the abs for a larger PvP, seems like there are at least a few people that want to join. And then we could just have invert/shoulder mount practice for points? And let's do diet something, I could definitely use an extra boost for getting my eating back on track!

Alright.

Abs - some kind of madness open to everyone... could rerun our vids from last time, new vids, or some other core challenge thingy.

Inverts - points for focused practice? or related practice? (I'm going to be away from circus intermittently this challenge for life-things, so am looking to not fall too behind on this part)

Flexibility & PreHab - seat of the pants stretching +2 pts, actual stretching routine +5 pts, prehab routine +8 points

Choreo & Flow - Stringing together at least two skills in a clean and/or interesting fashion. +2 pts for specific skill practice, +5 points for video?

Diet - Cals for me. Some version of healthier choices for you  +2 pts within cal limits for me. Yours--depends on what it is but should let you earn the same number of points in this section as I can.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sylph said:

Abs - some kind of madness open to everyone... could rerun our vids from last time, new vids, or some other core challenge thingy. We can start off with an old video or a new one if you have one that you particularly would want to do, and then the others can find some new ones. :) I can set something up later.

Inverts - points for focused practice? or related practice? (I'm going to be away from circus intermittently this challenge for life-things, so am looking to not fall too behind on this part) Oh I don't want to get an unfair advantage here! Maybe small points for ab routines and more points for dedicated practice? Dedicated practice doesn't necessarily need to be on the apparatus, just related enough and hard enough to count. 

Flexibility & PreHab - seat of the pants stretching +2 pts, actual stretching routine +5 pts, prehab routine +8 points Sounds good!

Choreo & Flow - Stringing together at least two skills in a clean and/or interesting fashion. +2 pts for specific skill practice, +5 points for video? Yep. But I won't count in class training otherwise it will be too easy as most of what we do is in form of combos. 

Diet - Cals for me. Some version of healthier choices for you  +2 pts within cal limits for me. Yours--depends on what it is but should let you earn the same number of points in this section as I can. Ok, I'll do 2 meals with both protein and veggies for +2 pts. Basic, but atm I'm too often only managing one. 

• Like 1

Now I know about one language I don't want to need to learn...

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah I reckon we should do a bigger abs challenge and get more people involved!

I could join that group :) 

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Abs - some kind of madness open to everyone... could rerun our vids from last time, new vids, or some other core challenge thingy. We can start off with an old video or a new one if you have one that you particularly would want to do, and then the others can find some new ones. :) I can set something up later.

Inverts - points for focused practice? or related practice? (I'm going to be away from circus intermittently this challenge for life-things, so am looking to not fall too behind on this part) Oh I don't want to get an unfair advantage here! Maybe small points for ab routines and more points for dedicated practice? Dedicated practice doesn't necessarily need to be on the apparatus, just related enough and hard enough to count. 

Flexibility & PreHab - seat of the pants stretching +2 pts, actual stretching routine +5 pts, prehab routine +8 points Sounds good!

Choreo & Flow - Stringing together at least two skills in a clean and/or interesting fashion. +2 pts for specific skill practice, +5 points for video? Yep. But I won't count in class training otherwise it will be too easy as most of what we do is in form of combos. 

Diet - Cals for me. Some version of healthier choices for you  +2 pts within cal limits for me. Yours--depends on what it is but should let you earn the same number of points in this section as I can. Ok, I'll do 2 meals with both protein and veggies for +2 pts. Basic, but atm I'm too often only managing one.

I'd be fine to start with an old video... as long as it's not the crazypants one. ;) We don't want to scare everyone away from the start. +5 points per vid

For inverts, either on-apparatus or dedicated practice that's specific to inverting in some way... +5 points?  no double counting for vids, since they'll be captured in the Abs PVP, but separate practice for some intensive movement related to inverting--I think we can both use our judgement on this one.

And yeah, choreo and flow will have to be not in-class and maybe per skill combo/per session. So if I work hip key to Esther 12 times in one session, that doesn't give me 24 points, but if I work hip key to Esther and then flag to front body balance in the same session, that gives me 4 points. Yes? (I don't want to get too complex, here because then I"ll just not do it..)

6 hours ago, zenLara said:

Now I know about one language I don't want to need to learn...

I could join that group :) 

:D

Awesome!

2 hours ago, sylph said:

I'd be fine to start with an old video... as long as it's not the crazypants one. ;) We don't want to scare everyone away from the start. +5 points per vid

For inverts, either on-apparatus or dedicated practice that's specific to inverting in some way... +5 points?  no double counting for vids, since they'll be captured in the Abs PVP, but separate practice for some intensive movement related to inverting--I think we can both use our judgement on this one.

And yeah, choreo and flow will have to be not in-class and maybe per skill combo/per session. So if I work hip key to Esther 12 times in one session, that doesn't give me 24 points, but if I work hip key to Esther and then flag to front body balance in the same session, that gives me 4 points. Yes? (I don't want to get too complex, here because then I"ll just not do it..)

Crazypants one? Don't know what you're talking about. :P We can start with the 80's one, it's ridiculous and I'd say the easiest of the bunch.

And yes to everything else. :) I think we're getting ourselves a challenge!

Oh wow I've been bad at updating after the challenge. Doesn't mean I haven't been doing stuff, but have to admit I've already started to slack off on things like abs and stretching.

Sunday - Open training focused on handstands on and off the pole, or at least in theory. In practice I was mostly dicking around chatting to a pole buddy. Went home and did some more HS practice + stretching in the afternoon.

Monday - Lack of sleep + epically long and unpleasant morning meeting put me in a bad mood all day. Haven't had the opportunity to chat to my boss about it but he needs to hear it. 

Tuesday - Challenging, but AWESOME pole class where I got a lot of good pointers and tips for improvement.

Wednesday - Easy pole class where I focused on making things pretty. Then EXOOOOTIC! It was great to put my heels on again, except that ridiculous shoes + long time no wear + pointed toes = epic calf cramp. :P 

Thursday - Crappy day. Decided to not go to my a.m. class (whaaah) in order to rest my biceps. They've been hurting for a few days now, and at one point at work my ulnar nerve got trapped and all tingly. Good thing prehab is on next challenge's agenda*, this is not the time to develop new injuries!

Then instead of my fun class I got called in to a team meeting first thing in the morning, which I thought was going to be about the team's work status but in fact it was about them firing another team member. Suuuper awkward, I really didn't want to be in that room with 3 senior staff members telling me why he sucks. I had no idea what I was supposed to say so I was mostly quiet and awkward. I don't know, I just feel really weirded out that they've fired 2 people in 4 months when they fired zero people in 6 years at my previous job. And it makes me question MY performance.  

Friday - Splurged on pole dance wear, with the justification I'll be doing a lot of training from now on and don't want to do laundry all the time. ;) For some reason spending a crap load of money on pole wear is perfectly fine but then I barely have 3 t-shirts without holes in them... Oh well, priorities. :P 

*Coming just now!

• Like 3

That would be an awkward meeting... in my job on the very rare occasion that someone was fired (about once every 2 years, for a development floor of ~80 people) they just kinda disappeared without any fanfare or anyone making a big deal about it to everyone else. I presume the people fired in your company had either done something intolerable (stealing from the company, for example) or had been warned about their inadequacies beforehand, so I doubt you need to worry at all! Although I remember having the same (irrational) thought at my company ("hmm, what if it's me next?!") :o

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

For some reason spending a crap load of money on pole wear is perfectly fine but then I barely have 3 t-shirts without holes in them

Sounds like you're doing a pole-based activity 90% of the time so this sounds pretty sensible :P

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

which I thought was going to be about the team's work status but in fact it was about them firing another team member. Suuuper awkward, I really didn't want to be in that room with 3 senior staff members telling me why he sucks.

:o Why did they do that? Why did you have to be there?

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

10 hours ago, sylph said:

*waits with bated breath*

But you already know exactly what's coming. :D 

10 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

That would be an awkward meeting... in my job on the very rare occasion that someone was fired (about once every 2 years, for a development floor of ~80 people) they just kinda disappeared without any fanfare or anyone making a big deal about it to everyone else. I presume the people fired in your company had either done something intolerable (stealing from the company, for example) or had been warned about their inadequacies beforehand, so I doubt you need to worry at all! Although I remember having the same (irrational) thought at my company ("hmm, what if it's me next?!") :o

5 minutes ago, zenLara said:

:o Why did they do that? Why did you have to be there?

I really don't know. They wanted to let "the team" know first. Except that the only one in the room that didn't already know was me... Weird. 

None of the people that got fired hadn't done anything wrong as such, the senior guys just weren't happy with their performances. I guess that there would've been discussions before the final decisions, but still. The only feedback I've ever got is that they like having me there. I'm taking the silence on their part as a positive sign, but I still feel like I don't know anything and that I'm really slow (one of the reason both goth fired) but I'm pretty sure it's irrational thinking and just relative to what I'm used to. So I'm not worried, the situation was just really awkward and uncomfortable!