NerdHammer - Light in Shadow

NerdHammer

What is NerdHammer?

NerdHammer, originally run by @DarK_RaideR was based in the fantasy world of Warhammer. Participants completed various exercises to grow their armies and battle one another for control of the map. 

My goal for this iteration of NerdHammer is make the game available to everyone. I have achieved this by not only simplifying the mechanics of the game, but by implementing various levels of participation that will allow everyone to enjoy NerdHammer and learn the rules, without worrying about knowing everything from day 1.

Think of NerdHammer as a game of risk, with some strategy game mixed in.

How does it work?

From Sunday to Friday you will track your exercises using the spreadsheet I have created. Over the course of the weekend movement and battles will be declared, and after the dust settles the map will change. 

Whichever faction controls the most territories wins the game at the end of the 6 week challenge.

How do I start?
You begin by picking your involvement in the game, as defined below.

Faction Leader - A faction leader is responsible for the deployment and movement of their entire factions troops on the world map. Along with being involved with the creation of battle strategies. However their certain A.I. options that can be used to aid you with every step of this.

Mercenary - A mercenary earns resources and recruits troops just like a faction leader. However they are not responsible for the movement of troops on the world map or battle strategies. This is a great way to enter the game without too much time investment.

After you have determined your level of involvement enter your name on the roster tab. Feel free to describe your units. Your faction or mercenaries can be any fantasy force you choose! The Men of Gondor, Deceptacons, or Space Marines for Warhammer 40k. It is all up to you!

After this, create a duplicate of the tracking sheet and rename it to your username. you are now part of the game!

Earning Resources
I have worked hard to create a spreadsheet that will simplify the process of tracking your exercises. The sheet will calculate how many resources you have gained on its own.

Please see the tracking sheet for detailed instructions on how to use it. Also feel free to ask in the comments below or message @cn3wton

Recruiting Troops
The recruitment of troops is finalized Friday night. After you have finished tracking all your exercises for the week you can easily recruit your troops on the same page! All costs are displayed next to the troop type. 

Please see the tracking sheet for detailed instructions on how to use it. Also feel free to ask in the comments below or message @cn3wton

Role Playing
While completely optional, creative writing to describe your troops arrival on this strange world and how they interact with others can prove to be quite a bit of fun! Feel free to flex your creative muscle! While optional it is highly recommended!

Fighting to Control the Board
By the end of the day Friday you will need to spend your earned resources and recruit troops. Mercenaries should then notify their faction leaders and let them know what troops they have purchased. Faction Leaders will then deploy newly recruited troops on the board, and send movement plans through private message with @cn3wton

Saturday morning I will review all movements and list all of the resulting battles. Faction Leaders must then provide @cn3wton battle plans for these battles.

Battle simulations will be run on Sunday, and results will be posted and the map updated.

Faction Leaders are responsible for redistributing troops on the world map after these battles by Wednesday.

Previous Rounds

Phases/Rules
Below are the various phases and rules you need to know to participate!

The Fortification Phase
The reinforcement phase happens from Monday to Wednesday after the battles on Sunday. The purpose of this phase is for you to take surviving troops and redeploy them inside of your territory. This allows you to set up for your next attack or to defend your newly claimed territories. Power levels are to be displayed on the cell, and inside a description of the troops within. Please reference the  Reinforce Phase tab in the spreadsheet for more in depth info on how to do this.

Any troops that have not been re-deployed by Wednesday will be automatically deployed on your base without exception. This allows other players the time to prepare accordingly and is to keep everything fair. As always you can always message me with questions or what you are looking to do if you will be unable to reinforce your territories yourself.
  • Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I have selected the cogs from Gears of War for this round. Please enter your username into the roster, along with the color that will mark you on the map. Colors are first come first serve so make sure you claim it as soon as you can if you choose to be a faction leader!

If you would prefer to be a mercenary please enter your name under the mercenary tab, along with a description of your troops, and what faction you want to be a mercenary for (if you have a preference)

Then create a copy of the tracking sheet, and rename this copy to your username. You can start tracking on the first day of the challenge!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

This looks fun, I think I'll sign up as a mercenary for the Imperial Storm Troopers.  DIE REBEL SCUM!

• Like 3

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I'll tag people tomorrow who where in the last round and who I think would be interested.

If yiu have anyone you know that would like to do this send them here, it's a really good time!

• Like 1

So happy to see what you have done with this, cn3wton - thank you for bringing this back! This is awesome

Sorry to have missed the one last challenge, but life. I'm in this time as a mercenary to get back into the game.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

7 hours ago, JediNickD said:

This looks fun, I think I'll sign up as a mercenary for the Imperial Storm Troopers.  DIE REBEL SCUM!

Welcome gentlemen

Image result for star wars bounty hunters

The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now. :) 

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

2 hours ago, Myrik said:

Myrik and Clan Wolf will be joining the Fray.

Make sure you put your name on the updated spreadsheet and choose a color. I will create a tracking sheet for you.

9 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

So happy to see what you have done with this, cn3wton - thank you for bringing this back! This is awesome

Sorry to have missed the one last challenge, but life. I'm in this time as a mercenary to get back into the game.

Let me know if you have any questions! Im excited to have you on board!

Also everyone as a mercenary you are still free to play whatever faction you want, no matter who you ally with. Maybe you are enemies torn from two worlds forced to fight together, its all up to you! And remember the RP posts are pretty fun too, so dont be afraid to get those up!

• Like 1

Okay, I'm in for round 2!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

8 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Okay, I'm in for round 2!

Awesome! Since you won the first round you get first pick of where you would like to start for the second round!

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Do we need to select our bases this weekend, or will they be assigned? @cn3wton

After rhovaniel picks I will open it up to everyone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Awesome! Since you won the first round you get first pick of where you would like to start for the second round!

Thanks!

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

I might join as a merc. I'm not currently interested in diving head first into a pool of a strategy game I've never played. Can reps here count for our guild mini too?

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

1 hour ago, Snickie said:

I might join as a merc. I'm not currently interested in diving head first into a pool of a strategy game I've never played. Can reps here count for our guild mini too?

If your doing reps for another thing you can certainly count them here too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cn3wton said:

The empire has Top Secret plans to build a Death Star opposite from Rhovaniel (on the South part of the map), Construction will begin once the map is opened.

P.S. Do not let these plans fall into the hands of the rebel alliance!  

• Like 3

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I can't figure out how to unlock the map on my phone and in out of town for a wedding. Will fix that tomorrow when I get home.

I will be happy to bring my Legion Astartes as mercenaries again!

I'm on vacation currently, so probably won't be able to add a whole lot this week, but I should be able to pick it up more once I'm home.

Anyone looking to hire? :)

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

For purposes of this game, is last week week zero or week one?  If week zero, can we count our workouts towards week one resources?

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For purposes of this game, is last week week zero or week one?  If week zero, can we count our workouts towards week one resources?

Everyone should begin tracking starting yesterday (the start of the challenge). No week zero this time around. If you did not track yesterdays workouts you can do that now.

I will be updating the spreadsheet shortly. If you have not created a tracking sheet for yourself, or not added yourself to the roster I will do this for you. If you are a faction leader you have until wednesday to select where you want to start on the map. Thursday morning any faction leaders who have not done this will be placed on the map by me. 

Mercenaries you have until wednesday to find someone to work for. If you don't I will be assigning mercenaries myself. Which is not such a bad thing! Great way to meet new people!

Also alliances, unlike last round, will be limited to 2 factions. Due to the increase in mercenaries and decrease in faction numbers, I want to keep things as fair as possible. Alliances are not required however.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

Everyone should begin tracking starting yesterday (the start of the challenge). No week zero this time around. 

Drat! I had a frieghter full of enough Khyber crystal to fund a small armada.

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja