[sylph] Don't call it a come back...except I guess it is, kind of.

sylph

Okay! First, read this. I'll wait. http://www.laurawitwer.com/2017/06/29/post-laura-witwer-ego-smashed/

That blog post hit me preeeeetttty hard in the feels. When my circus gym reopened after >1 year, I somehow expected to pick up right where I left off. Amazingly, this did not happen. I spent a few months bootcamp-ing, aerial style and when i had some strength back, jumped back into a skills class. My ego did not take this well. I'm finally to the point where I'm feeling somewhat strong most classes, but I definitely have the "Comparing myself to myself" moments come back and bite me in the butt. So, it's time to focus on improvement from where I am now rather than comparison to where I was then.

To help with keeping my focus in a forward direction, Hatter and I are going to do a PVP-ish challenge. Goals and scoring are below.

• Structured Circus – Class at least once per week (silks/rope) +5 points per class 
  • Stretchiness – At least 2 out-of-class stretching sessions (at least 10 mins each) per week. One of these can be body-maintenance type stuff (foam rolling, etc.) if desired. +5 points per session (additional sessions per week can count for additional points)
  • Abs – Video Challenge at least once per week (alternating who chooses each week or we each choose one each week for both of us to do).  +5 points per video completed (each video can count more than once if done in the week it is the Video Challenge)
  • Life goal – Mindful eating. Cut the random snacking. Eat meals. Consider whether you're actually hungry or just bored. Don't eat just because it's time to eat if you aren't actually hungry. Unscored
  • Bonus – Photo or video progress on crow pose. Eventually I'd like to get to firefly, but one thing at a time, here. Unscored
  • Extra Double Bonus – Plan vacation. Huge work stresses mean our usual summer vacation plan has been pushed back. Something not terribly far away or stressful to get to and inclusion of some fun activity and forced relaxation all at the same time.

Alrighty, aside from all that, work next week is going to be exhausting as we have a huge inspection/accreditation visit that will take up most of my working hours for the entire week. I'm hoping circus will help keep me sane. :)

And on the fun side, the beta for Destiny 2 is out on July 18. yay! Right after hellish work week, some time to play.

Is that it? I think that's it...

• Like 7

Aww, yay! I love that you guys are doing a shared goals PVP. :)

And yesssss at that article. SO important not to let ego drive us or drive us insane. You got this! 

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

This is going to be awesome! A circus based pvp cannot go wrong

brb, imma get some popcorn

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

That article definitely hits in the feels. yay following! And I love that you two are doing a pvp! :D I shall follow you both!!

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

On 7/6/2017 at 9:07 AM, raptron said:

Aww, yay! I love that you guys are doing a shared goals PVP. :)

And yesssss at that article. SO important not to let ego drive us or drive us insane. You got this! 

Hopefully it will benefit us both! 

Laura Witwer = awesome at writing about circus things. And often they translate to other stuff in life and/or working out.

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is going to be awesome! A circus based pvp cannot go wrong

brb, imma get some popcorn

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

She's written some very fitting posts recently, but this one was particularly (and uncomfortably) true!

Also, I'M READYYYYYYY! :D 

Let's do this!!

Unicycle abs vid for first ab challenge?

17 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

That article definitely hits in the feels. yay following! And I love that you two are doing a pvp! :D I shall follow you both!!

Yep. Ego is a thing in training. Who knew? :)

• Like 1

I keep reading unicycle abs as unicorn abs. I have unicorns on the brain obvs.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Just now, karinajean said:

Bahahahahahhaahhaha

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Great article! Inspiring and right to the point.

Following!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Unicycle abs it is!

I've been browsing through my bookmarked conditioning videos to see what nasty thing I can throw at you next week until I realised I'd also have to do it. :D 

That's the kicker, isn't it? To torture each other, we must also torture ourselves. :P

17 hours ago, karinajean said:

Unicorn abs sounds pretty amazing, actually.

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Great article! Inspiring and right to the point.

Following!

She is one of the very few aerialist bloggers I've found that posts on a regular basis and her stuff is always on point.

Welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

Following for circus PVP awesomeness!

Hi there! Thanks for coming along on the pvp madness!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, sylph said:

She is one of the very few aerialist bloggers I've found that posts on a regular basis and her stuff is always on point.

In fact I wanted to take a proper look at her blog, and somehow it has disappeared? Or it is just me? I only get the "This domain has expired" thing :( 

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

6 minutes ago, zenLara said:

In fact I wanted to take a proper look at her blog, and somehow it has disappeared? Or it is just me? I only get the "This domain has expired" thing :( 

Same here... so instead I googled unicycle abs.

I watched the whole thing... that counts, right?

:)

Fab goals!

Current Challenge

Backstory | Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3 | Challenge 4 | Challenge 5

"We are what we believe we are." - CS Lewis

16 minutes ago, Coco P Loco said:

Same here... so instead I googled unicycle abs.

I watched the whole thing... that counts, right?

:)

Fab goals!

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear, I can see the abs vid, what I can't see is the Laura Witwer blog.

1 minute ago, zenLara said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear, I can see the abs vid, what I can't see is the Laura Witwer blog.

No, I wasn't clear! I was agreeing with you that the blog link was broken coz the domain has expired.

So then I decided I'd take a look at the video instead :)

Current Challenge

Backstory | Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3 | Challenge 4 | Challenge 5

"We are what we believe we are." - CS Lewis

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's back again. Presumably now that she remembered to paid for her domain. :) 

Yes, it works now. You're probably right :D 

Did some good stretching last night -- hip opening type stuff. >10 minutes for sure. Probably closer to 20. +5 points

Had grand plans to blow off steam at open gym after day one of our 5 day audit at work. Got to the locker room and realized I had: sports bra, leotard, long-sleeved shirt, short shorts, leg warmers and NO LEGGINGS OR TIGHTS. :(:(:(  Even with all of the clothing I did bring, some pretty significant skin real estate would've been left uncovered and I would've wound up with rope burns, silks burns and whatnot in some fairly tender areas. Came home instead and I've just started an upper body workout. the goal is to get some work in on chest and back and then hit the unicycle abs. Wish me luck!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sylph said:

Even with all of the clothing I did bring, some pretty significant skin real estate would've been left uncovered and I would've wound up with rope burns, silks burns and whatnot in some fairly tender areas. 

Rope/silk burns in tender areas = no fun.  Bummer that you got there and had to turn right around :(

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11