[sylph] Don't call it a come back...except I guess it is, kind of.

sylph

On 8/4/2017 at 2:40 AM, sylph said:

YES! I'd totally be down for that. We can keep score if you want, or just do some weekly joint activities back and forth. +/- some tracking on the same spreadsheet?

Awesome!!! That makes me happy as I've found it SO helpful just knowing that you're going to be killing it. I'll post some thoughts in a bit once and then we can plot something fun. :) 

On 8/4/2017 at 2:40 AM, sylph said:

Mindful practice, mostly. And doing it all the time--splits practice, straddle stretches, whatever it was, pointed my toes for practice.

Heh good point, I definitely tend to get sloppy when I stretch!

Semi related - I'm curious about your opinion on working straight leg inverts when tired. Currently I can do them ok (I think, I should double check on film!) in the beginning of a session but they deteriorate fairly quickly. I can't decide whether it's better to only work straight legs when fresh and I'm fully concentrating on keeping my leg super straight to get the movement pattern in, or whether it's more useful to practice as often as possible to gain more strength and more practice volume with the movement. I can see pros and cons with both, what's your take on it?

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Awesome!!! That makes me happy as I've found it SO helpful just knowing that you're going to be killing it. I'll post some thoughts in a bit once and then we can plot something fun. :) 

Heh good point, I definitely tend to get sloppy when I stretch!

Semi related - I'm curious about your opinion on working straight leg inverts when tired. Currently I can do them ok (I think, I should double check on film!) in the beginning of a session but they deteriorate fairly quickly. I can't decide whether it's better to only work straight legs when fresh and I'm fully concentrating on keeping my leg super straight to get the movement pattern in, or whether it's more useful to practice as often as possible to gain more strength and more practice volume with the movement. I can see pros and cons with both, what's your take on it?

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Hmm... I think there's a threshold of 'good enough' form for bodyweight skills just like when doing squats or deadlifts or whatever. If you feel like your form is good enough that you aren't building bad habits or putting yourself at injury risk, I think it's worthwhile to train difficult skills when tired. Once you reach that threshold, though, it's time to do something else. Whether that's practicing negatives of a SL invert or stepping back to a BL invert. You'll still be building strength on the step-down skill while not ingraining bad habits or risking getting hurt.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. But is the threshold for what's good enough lower though when aesthetics is so important? It's a purely academic question really, but I'm curious to whether there exists a physiological sweet spot. Either way it's always going to be a question of constantly refining the skills and for that lots of dedicated mindful practice is needed however you look at it.

Btw I posted some ideas about the next challenge in my thread. :) 

Week 4 Wrap Up

• Structured Circus – Class at least once per week (silks/rope) +5 points per class YES!
  • Stretchiness – At least 2 out-of-class stretching sessions (at least 10 mins each) per week. One of these can be body-maintenance type stuff (foam rolling, etc.) if desired. +5 points per session YES!  (additional sessions per week can count for additional points)
  • Abs – Video Challenge at least once per week (alternating who chooses each week or we each choose one each week for both of us to do).  +5 points per video completed YES! (each video can count more than once if done in the week it is the Video Challenge)
  • Life goal – Mindful eating. Cut the random snacking. Eat meals. Consider whether you're actually hungry or just bored. Don't eat just because it's time to eat if you aren't actually hungry. Unscored Started calorie tracking this week. It helps.
  • Bonus – Photo or video progress on crow pose. Eventually I'd like to get to firefly, but one thing at a time, here. Unscored Nothing further.
  • Extra Double Bonus – Plan vacation. Huge work stresses mean our usual summer vacation plan has been pushed back. Something not terribly far away or stressful to get to and inclusion of some fun activity and forced relaxation all at the same time. Unscored House projects, local things, new recipes, etc. have all been discussed as possible things to do during our staycation.

Decent final week, keeping on to the end.

Overall Challenge Wrap up

• Structured Circus – Class at least once per week (silks/rope) +5 points per class 6 circus-ings for a 4 week challenge
  • Stretchiness – At least 2 out-of-class stretching sessions (at least 10 mins each) per week. One of these can be body-maintenance type stuff (foam rolling, etc.) if desired. +5 points per session 15 stretching sessions over 4 weeks. Much better than what I had been doing in the past. Most of these were just10 minutes at my desk to stretch my choulders, but for aerialists, I think that's pretty important, really.  (additional sessions per week can count for additional points)
  • Abs – Video Challenge at least once per week (alternating who chooses each week or we each choose one each week for both of us to do).  +5 points per video completed Because I am not a crazy person, I did each of these once, except one week that I did twice. Focused ab work is something I typically slack on, so this is pretty good for me. (each video can count more than once if done in the week it is the Video Challenge)
  • Life goal – Mindful eating. Cut the random snacking. Eat meals. Consider whether you're actually hungry or just bored. Don't eat just because it's time to eat if you aren't actually hungry. Unscored Less about mindful eating now and more about monitoring intake. Decently done over time, though.
  • Bonus – Photo or video progress on crow pose. Eventually I'd like to get to firefly, but one thing at a time, here. Unscored Erm... does one video count as progress?
  • Extra Double Bonus – Plan vacation. Huge work stresses mean our usual summer vacation plan has been pushed back. Something not terribly far away or stressful to get to and inclusion of some fun activity and forced relaxation all at the same time. Unscored Staycation plus adulting tasks will be performed.

Pretty well decent overall. I liked the accountability of the PvP aspect this time around. I don't even mind losing. ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. But is the threshold for what's good enough lower though when aesthetics is so important? It's a purely academic question really, but I'm curious to whether there exists a physiological sweet spot. Either way it's always going to be a question of constantly refining the skills and for that lots of dedicated mindful practice is needed however you look at it.

Btw I posted some ideas about the next challenge in my thread. :) 

I think that the 'good enough' threshold is always changing, depending on strength and ability. At some point, it's worthwhile just to get your legs over your head regardless of how you got there. It's an ever-moving target for me, even on a session by session basis. Obviously, all of the skill is being practiced all at once, but if I'm really working on keeping my pelvis tucked for an invert, that'll be my main threshold. If I'm working on knee microbends, that'll be the tipping point, etc. I think for me its "do the skill" first, then each point of it (energized limbs, pointed toes, pretty hands) gets added on with shifting priority once I get the previous step relatively solidly.

Right now for me it's hip keys--my hip key is pretty good. I can get into it on either side with a good high side crunch. BUT as I noticed on my last set of videos, my leading leg gets a microbend every time unless I focus on it. So I'm really working on that and on my fan kick to make everything pretty. There are people in my class who are still working on a consistent hip key from the air. If they were to start focusing on keeping their toes pointed or knees straight, it would take away from mastery of the basic skill.

BUT if it was really motivating for that person to get their still-working-on-it hip key  done mostly solidly while maintaining their toe points? Then that's an individual motivator that might keep them working on it without frustration for longer than if it wasn't something they were even cognizant of.

So, that's a really long answer to say "it depends" but, yeah... I think it depends. :)

Popping over to your thread now.

Oh yeah, for sure you have to get through the ugly stage first in any new skill. I was more specifically thinking about skills that you do all the time just because of the sheer volume, as more volume equals more time to ingrain bad habits. 

15 minutes ago, sylph said:

Erm... does one video count as progress?

Better than my zero videos, so I'll say yes. :D 

16 minutes ago, sylph said:

Pretty well decent overall. I liked the accountability of the PvP aspect this time around. I don't even mind losing. ;)

You missed out on the abs. ;) Though I feel like I need extra ab work a lot more than you do!

56 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh yeah, for sure you have to get through the ugly stage first in any new skill. I was more specifically thinking about skills that you do all the time just because of the sheer volume, as more volume equals more time to ingrain bad habits. 

Better than my zero videos, so I'll say yes. :D 

You missed out on the abs. ;) Though I feel like I need extra ab work a lot more than you do!

I think the definition of 'ugly' is a moving target for each skill. :) For most of my stuff, if I notice that things are going poorly due to fatigue, I'll purposely step down to the next lower skill. If we've done dozens of inverts during class and I recognize that my form is degrading, I'll do bent leg inverts to make sure the next one looks pretty, even if it's the easier skill.

If I'm on my own doing conditioning stuff, I'm less picky with form.

If I'm on my own doing technique work, I'm more picky with form.

wow Sylph! this challenge was SO SOLID. rock solid. so great!

On 7/27/2017 at 3:36 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I LOVE classes like that! That's the worst thing about not knowing the language, I feel like I'm missing many of the small, but oh so important, details. I'm glad you have such a good coach. :) 

On 7/27/2017 at 7:37 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

I love a class that focuses on little details like that. It's so valuable and makes me a better aerialist when I take the time to learn that stuff! But then again this is NERD fitness so maybe it's not surprising we all love this stuff? Hahaha :)

On 7/28/2017 at 8:37 AM, sylph said:

This, THIS is how I know I've found my tribe. :)

you guys! I feel the same way about tae kwon do forms. I could do them for HOURS if it involves tiny tiny tweaks of forms while I'm doing it. I never get bored. SO GOOD.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.