Found Tumblr About a 19yo Girl Who Wants to Weigh 100lbs @ 5'6" & It Made Me Sad...

I got 99 problems... but others have more... sad... she has a lot of diagnosed problems... maybe some will look at this and reflect on how lucky they are... where they are... now...

http://bespoken-bones.tumblr.com/

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I'm so not going to read that because as an incredibly moody feminist, I get pissed off about enough without adding fuel to the fire.

That genre of blog is huge, though. It is really sad. It it very disappointing that women are still inundated with messages that our appearance is all that matters to the degree that we are willing to starve and mutilate ourselves.

I'm glad that as I get older I'm learning how stupid that idea is, and hopefully I can influence other women and young girls that we have so much more worth than that.

[/soapbox]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

This makes me so sad. She's the same height as me, and her SW/HW is my current weight, a weight I think I am happiest and healthiest at. I've been down that road she's going on before, I've weighed 100 lbs at 5'6'' and let me tell you, it's not pretty.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

I think its sad that half of her pictures are of like models and other movie stars or tv stars. Good example there people, keep it up and half of the world of young girls will want to (die to) be like you. Way to screw with peoples minds and make it seem like having no fat as a female is sexy and healthy and worth starving yourself for.

My friend is about 5'4 and used to weigh over 200 lbs at least. I checked her out on fb a little while ago and shes as skinny as those girls now, in and out of hospitals and needs to get a feeding tube down her throat so she can survive. Its no joke, but seriously. maybe if models werent as skin and bones our world would be a calmer place.

rant done. thank you :)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

I love Tumblr, but it's got a dark side. Thinspo is everywhere, self harm blogs are everywhere.

Luckily, there are a LOT of support and fitspo blogs showing up these days. I'm starting to see a lot of posts about women lifting, healthy role models, self acceptance, and amazing community support. As long as you stay away from the Thinspo tag it can be a really good motivator.

The women of the Rebellion should sign up and help the healthier community grow!

As a mother of two girls, that makes me want to cry.

It reminds me of last year when two 5th grade girls were talking in the library, and one of them asked me "Mrs. L, do you think C is fat (referring to the other one)?"

C is a beautiful girl, strong and athletic, plays softball, basketball, etc. She's about medium-framed, so she looks a little stocky next to some of the tiny little girls with small bones, but she is most definitely not fat. However, I know for a fact that her mom had been crash dieting, as in eating less than 1000 calories a day of low-fat, artificial crap, in order to lose weight.

Me: "No, I don't. And even if she was, that wouldn't change the fact that she's a wonderful person."

Working in an elementary/middle school, I see this all the time. I'd love to start some kind of a club for the kids to focus on body acceptance, but I don't know if I could reach the ones who really need it. I don't know how to even start to help with this.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Hell, I'm 5'2" and 100lbs would be too low for me. With my current LBM, ~115 would put me at or slightly under my goal BF% level, and I'd actually rather put on a bunch muscle and be significantly heavier than that.

So 100lbs is the lowest 'acceptable' weight for my height on the BMI charts. To get down to 100 pounds, I'd have to lose about 10 pounds of muscle to end up with even 15% BF. That's insane.

I don't know how to even start to help with this.

sounds like an epic quest moment... i'd be down to help... better than tree hugging... not that there's anything wrong with hugging trees... (egad)...

deadlifting seminar with resident hero... with viking ears?

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

It makes me sad when the overwhelming tone is hopelessness. so.sad.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

we could contribute $1 each and fly said hero to OK to give the seminar... just a thought if she'd be interested in that kind of thing...

... remember... action... not underpants...

I would love to do something like that! Or maybe I could start a weightlifting group at the school? Currently we don't have the equipment (we're only a PK-8 school) so the kids who want to take weightlifting as their PE have to get driven to and from the local high school. Maybe I could raise money for that? (on top of the 7 million other things I'm raising money for--I didn't even get money to buy books for the library this year :(). Or maybe I could get local businesses to sponsor it....

I want to do something. I know there are tons of body image issues at my school, and not just among the girls. I'm a little worried that whatever I do will make things worse, but I don't know if it actually can be worse.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

It makes me sad when the overwhelming tone is hopelessness. so.sad.

The majority of these sites aren't so much about the weight loss. The weight loss is a visible symptom of the inner self hatred and compulsive behaviors. Even a lot of the fitspo I've seen is about coveting something that the person posting it considers unattainable.

Something else is to be careful when posting links to this kind of stuff. It can be a trigger for people struggling with the mental illness side of EDs. At the end of the day that's what they are, mental illness. Self esteem issues intensified by types of OCD and phobias. :-/

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.