dancezwithkittehz - summer life rehaul!

LOVE hearing about the planning to practice. I am really bad at regimented practice, and need to get better at it - so seeing this thought process is super helpful!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

1 hour ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Tonight will be aerial. Hoping I manage to do crossback straddle again! I also want to try to do work on straddle inverts on silks to prep for doing straddle climbs and catchers position etc. I can only get there if I cheat it right now (which is fine), but I think I want to try and do conditioning where I can't touch the ground and cheat it. I know I may not actually successfully invert much if I do that but it will build up the muscles sloooowwwly! Plan is to climb up one step and then hang and work straddles for like 10??? reps if I can. Realistically this will probably be split into a few sets because I am weaaaak!

You will totally get it again!

But if you don't, you'll still know that you've DONE it, it's just waiting for you around some training corner.

If you can get upside down (even by cheating) slow negatives are killer for training inversions. :) (ask me how I know. Ow.)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, sylph said:

You will totally get it again!

But if you don't, you'll still know that you've DONE it, it's just waiting for you around some training corner.

If you can get upside down (even by cheating) slow negatives are killer for training inversions. :) (ask me how I know. Ow.)

Negatives are a good idea too! I figure if I am not able to lift very high on my no-touchy ground sets I will add in my jumping into straddle and slowly-ish lowering legs to round everything out. So basically DOMS are the plan for tomorrow. Hahahahahahah

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Also! Unrelated to challenge but uhhhh PSA that if your battery on your phone is kind of low and you use that as your alarm clock that you probably shouldn't do that. Apparently I was sleepy enough to sleep through a bit of my alarm and all the vibrating killed the battery it had left so it turned off and did not wake me up. THANK GOODNESS I happened to wake up around 6:35 by some miracle on my own (alarm went off however briefly around 6:25.) I bet the weird dream I was having about grocery shopping and not being able to find ingredients was during that last 10 min when my brain knew it needed to be doing something but it wasn't doing it. Hahahha.

Also Midnight, Texas at 10-11 is EVIL. Because it's really good and I couldn't just "watch for a few minutes" and then I of course refuse to sleep without reading for a little bit sooo yeah maybe fell asleep around midnight which is late when you have to get up at 6 something. UGH. But..but... And no, DVRing stuff isn't a good option. I would forget to watch it most likely as always happens when I do that. Or I have to ask my mom to rewatch the episodes when I watch them because whenever I am around watching TV she is also around usually but she CAN stay up for the 10-11 run because retired. (She wouldn't mind rewatching but I hate asking her to.) I could adult properly and just not read myself to bed. Or just be tired on Tuesdays. Hmm. lol.

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Clearly the proper thing to eat on aerial day is french fries topped with a pile of meat. MEAAAAT. NOMMM. (Loaded french fries from the greek place: french fries, gyro, grilled chicken, jalapenos, feta, and a tasty lemon-y dill? sauce or something on the side. NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM)

I'm hoping eating a little extra protein heavy today will help body heal up from DOMS more quickly this week because last week I was too dead for much strength work for most the week. Still did some small stuff throughout the week but I definitely had to keep it in the higher reps but easier exercise or just like, one rep of something I can normally do more of etc. This was through Saturday when I did my pull up progression work and I did ONE band assisted chin up and felt completely tapped out.

Admittedly I am also doing a bit extra of a cut on top of what I was already doing so I suppose being a sad weak person is sort of expected in this case. I did around 1900-2000 cal a day all last week on the days I tracked anyway whereas I have calculated my TDEE to probably be around 2400 or so from my estimates on IIFYM. I really need to ACTUALLY get a body comp scan so I don't have to estimate this stuff!, but I don't know of anywhere around here to do it. My gym once a year or so has a van come out to do the water tank type scan but seeing as I haven't gone lifting in a while I have no idea when that might be. Woops.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Omg, loaded Greek fries pls. 

Body comp measurement methods aren't super reliable anyway so you are actually probably better off just experimenting with your intake and making note of the changes you observe. :D 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Omg, loaded Greek fries pls. 

Body comp measurement methods aren't super reliable anyway so you are actually probably better off just experimenting with your intake and making note of the changes you observe. :D 

Good point! I kind of think of my calorie count I put in MFP as like, as baseline to sort of shoot for. I've been losing fluff gradually over the past few years so clearly whatever I'm doing is working at least somewhat!

Current Challenge

Aerial was last night. I swear I STILL have residual soreness from last week. STILL. (Lower abs still sore and not at full power.)

We focused on other things than crossback straddle last night, which was fine. I DID try to do one at the end of class when I was totally already tapped out sooo yeah that didn't happen, BUT! I almost successfully got into catchers on silks so yay! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to wrap the silk over the leg and fully get into it. I tried like 5 or 6 times and I can get into the initially knee hook and then hanging one handed and I get the other silk into my hand but I just can't figure out the wrap. I watch other people and it looks so simple but I can't figure it out. ARGH. I will get it! But I wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong!

Current Challenge

29 minutes ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Aerial was last night. I swear I STILL have residual soreness from last week. STILL. (Lower abs still sore and not at full power.)

We focused on other things than crossback straddle last night, which was fine. I DID try to do one at the end of class when I was totally already tapped out sooo yeah that didn't happen, BUT! I almost successfully got into catchers on silks so yay! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to wrap the silk over the leg and fully get into it. I tried like 5 or 6 times and I can get into the initially knee hook and then hanging one handed and I get the other silk into my hand but I just can't figure out the wrap. I watch other people and it looks so simple but I can't figure it out. ARGH. I will get it! But I wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong!

So you have your top knee hooked but can't get the tail over the thigh of your lower leg? (assuming what your studio calls catcher's and what my studio calls catchers is the same thing)

This is a terrible internet photo of someone in mid process of moving that tail from hanging down below the body, up to the lower leg's thigh, if that's helpful at all?

maxresdefault.jpg

if not, and your studio calls something else catchers hang, let me know and I'll see if I can help via electrons in some other way. :)

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, sylph said:

So you have your top knee hooked but can't get the tail over the thigh of your lower leg? (assuming what your studio calls catcher's and what my studio calls catchers is the same thing)

This is a terrible internet photo of someone in mid process of moving that tail from hanging down below the body, up to the lower leg's thigh, if that's helpful at all?

maxresdefault.jpg

if not, and your studio calls something else catchers hang, let me know and I'll see if I can help via electrons in some other way. :)

That's the thing! And yeah that's exactly the part I can't get and I don't know why. I also am watching this video over and over again:

I think if I shoot for after grabbing the silk looking toward the leg it needs to go on and pulling it closer to me? It looks so simple! But when I get there I think my awareness of which direction is which gets funky and I keep trying to like, throw it over the leg but obviously that's not right haha.

Also...the initially straddle ups are still sooo sad and I have to jump it and can't really hold in the straddle but I know that will come with time!! I need to get where I can do a pull up and a better straddle to be able to move these into the air from the ground (the slack drop from this pose is obviously not happening just yet! Lol)

Current Challenge

hmm... have you tried just practicing the wrap from the ground? either standing (which would mean it's pretty modified) or laying on the ground? Just so you can understand where the tails go. Sorry in advance if this is not helpful.

Does a thought experiment help you? Picture yourself standing in an X shape. Now turn that X on it's side such that one arm and one leg are up, and one arm and one leg are down. In the people chandelier video, she's in approximately this position at 1:27. Her right arm and leg are up (though not so X-shaped) and left arm and leg are down. The goal is to get the tail around the bottom leg of the X. To do that, take the lower arm (left arm in the video) and move it from out to your side holding the tail, to out more in front of you, holding the tail. Then bend the knee of the lower leg and slip it through the hole between your arm and the part of the silks running from your waist to your hand. Straighten your knee. (I totally just snagged my fabric measuring tape to do this standing in my kitchen)

Not sure if that's any help at all...circus and words are hard.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sylph said:

hmm... have you tried just practicing the wrap from the ground? either standing (which would mean it's pretty modified) or laying on the ground? Just so you can understand where the tails go. Sorry in advance if this is not helpful.

Does a thought experiment help you? Picture yourself standing in an X shape. Now turn that X on it's side such that one arm and one leg are up, and one arm and one leg are down. In the people chandelier video, she's in approximately this position at 1:27. Her right arm and leg are up (though not so X-shaped) and left arm and leg are down. The goal is to get the tail around the bottom leg of the X. To do that, take the lower arm (left arm in the video) and move it from out to your side holding the tail, to out more in front of you, holding the tail. Then bend the knee of the lower leg and slip it through the hole between your arm and the part of the silks running from your waist to your hand. Straighten your knee. (I totally just snagged my fabric measuring tape to do this standing in my kitchen)

Not sure if that's any help at all...circus and words are hard.

That is super helpful actually and I hadn't thought to try it laying on the ground. I should do that!

I think I'm not bringing it in front of me right now and I'm keeping it more on the side so I can't really place it over on the leg. After I look down (up? if I were right side up it would be up hahaha) to grab the silk I think I keep looking in the wrong direction and I'm not pulling my leg or arms IN, I'm bending the leg but keeping it out to the side as and then kind of trying to fling the silk over the leg from the side and it is not working!

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

That is super helpful actually and I hadn't thought to try it laying on the ground. I should do that!

I think I'm not bringing it in front of me right now and I'm keeping it more on the side so I can't really place it over on the leg. After I look down (up? if I were right side up it would be up hahaha) to grab the silk I think I keep looking in the wrong direction and I'm not pulling my leg or arms IN, I'm bending the leg but keeping it out to the side as and then kind of trying to fling the silk over the leg from the side and it is not working!

Being on the ground means not having to think about being upside down at the same time so might be worthwhile as you work through the steps.

Something else that may help is thinking about the path the silks are taking around you. When you're in catchers, the silks will essentially be in an omega shape.

Ω

Your waist will be in the circular part and your legs will be through the little spaces just before the 'feet.' One of the 'feet' will be the tails of the silks, one will be the pole.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, sylph said:

Being on the ground means not having to think about being upside down at the same time so might be worthwhile as you work through the steps.

Something else that may help is thinking about the path the silks are taking around you. When you're in catchers, the silks will essentially be in an omega shape.

Ω

Your waist will be in the circular part and your legs will be through the little spaces just before the 'feet.' One of the 'feet' will be the tails of the silks, one will be the pole.

This is super helpful! It's like I've been trying to do it without the it coming in again between the legs part and trying to do that wrap from really far out soooo yeah it makes sense that it's been flaily and not working! Hahahahaha

I think I might try to go to open gym on Sunday if I can convince myself to go out and about that day. (I wish it was in the morning! It's 2-6pm and on Sundays I am usually in lazing about the house mode by afternoon!! If not all day...hahaha)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

In other news! Adulting news! I finally got the estimate I was waiting on for the other house stuff (external stairway replacement, front deck replacement, and replacing subfloor, flooring and shower for one of our bathrooms.) YAYS. Now I can apply for home equity loan! I am planning to add in a buffer of a few extra thousand to make sure we can cover any extra budget we might need/ if they find something extra that needs to be fixed. Not really sure how much extra I should budget in but I am finding myself with a total of around $56000 for what I for sure need done with current estimates. I am thinking I'll add in $4k to bring it to $60,000 even. If we don't need the extra for these projects we certainly have other smaller repairs we that could be done with it! (We're focusing on the need to be fixed now,  safety type issues.)

Also, I am so proud of myself. Budgeting works! Which like..I knew that it should, but still it seems so magical! Like..I set aside an amount I say I will set aside and HEY LOOK I actually have extra $ for what I said I would in my bank account!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Quick challenge update:

Yesterday did some strength training at work (1 of  2 strength days for the week), sneaking in sets of dips and planks and lunges, wheeee! I also planned to do pull up work when I got home before Dungeon Crawler Classics with friends buuuut it took 2x as long to get home as usual so no pull up time. Waaah. (Today or tomorrow for strength workout #2!)

Today I did run 2 of 2 and it went pretty well. I went faster you guysssss! YAY. Not that I was fast but for me average pace of 15:30 IS an improvement over 16 min!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Weekend so far: Saturday I did strength day #2. I did strength stuff throughout the day, lot of aerial core work stuff, pull up progression work (I'm trying to spend time holding at the top because pretty much a lot of aerial is you hanging out in that bent arm position), squats, and I also did some wall handstands for giggles because I want to start working on handstands again!

Current Challenge

Monday Mondaaaaaay. Today is running day. Yays.

Also, unchallenge related but I FEEL SO RELIEVED. Me and the boyfriend decided to break things off because we realized it wasn't going anywhere and we'd both checked out. We have been friends for like 19 years sooo back to being just friends and we will be all the better for it. I don't think I realized how much that "ugh I need to do something about this" for the past few months has been weighing on me! And now to consider delving back into online dating hmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Monday Mondaaaaaay. Today is running day. Yays.

Also, unchallenge related but I FEEL SO RELIEVED. Me and the boyfriend decided to break things off because we realized it wasn't going anywhere and we'd both checked out. We have been friends for like 19 years sooo back to being just friends and we will be all the better for it. I don't think I realized how much that "ugh I need to do something about this" for the past few months has been weighing on me! And now to consider delving back into online dating hmmmmmmmmm.

Aw, that's very grown up of you.

Still a hard thing, but I'm glad it feels like the right thing for you both.

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Aw, that's very grown up of you.

Still a hard thing, but I'm glad it feels like the right thing for you both.

I am SO glad we ended up being on the same page about it. He is pretty private about his feelings so I had no idea what to expect, then we both tried to start the same conversation with each other about it and it was like OH HEY it's not just me yay!

• Like 1

Current Challenge