Elastigirl's 1,000th challenge. Now with Minions!

Elastigirl

Really enjoying hearing the talk about love languages here. Ms. Miz and I didn't live together before we were married, as we were living in different countries, and as such it was a bit of an adjustment when we went from talking online everyday and seeing each other every couple weeks for a weekend to living together full time. 

We had a funny moment a couple weeks ago. We were at the movies, at a small theatre, and I was ready to leave but she needed to use the washroom, and asked me to bring the car up to the movie theatre entrance and park in the fire lane for her. Now this struck me a bit. The parking lot isn't large, we were parked pretty close, and she has no issue with mobility. So I did it, I moved the car up and waiting for her outside the theatre, but at the same time there was all these cars around me, and I was just very slightly blocking a way. I felt really awkward. One of my things generally is I HATE feeling in the way. HATE HATE HATE. I hate walking downtown anywhere because I just can't move as fast as many people, and I hate the feeling of people like power walking past me. Now realistically this was a small movie theatre and I was only really "blocking" about 2 or 3 people, and even then they could get around me, but the feeling made me very uncomfortable.

So when she came out and got in the car after I'd been waiting for a while, I was a bit snippy. I didn't really understand why she'd want me to pull the car around for her - it's a short distance, and it meant me sitting in a position I was very uncomfortable in. For her it was about the small gesture, the consideration and the little thing to make her life easier. And she was hurt that I didn't initially want to do it. When I explained why she understood, but said it was important to her to make the gesture, even if it was only a short distance.

It's funny how the things like that work with spouses and partners. But always a good discussion to have!

• Like 3

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

1 hour ago, Mizbrek said:

Really enjoying hearing the talk about love languages here. Ms. Miz and I didn't live together before we were married, as we were living in different countries, and as such it was a bit of an adjustment when we went from talking online everyday and seeing each other every couple weeks for a weekend to living together full time. 

We had a funny moment a couple weeks ago. We were at the movies, at a small theatre, and I was ready to leave but she needed to use the washroom, and asked me to bring the car up to the movie theatre entrance and park in the fire lane for her. Now this struck me a bit. The parking lot isn't large, we were parked pretty close, and she has no issue with mobility. So I did it, I moved the car up and waiting for her outside the theatre, but at the same time there was all these cars around me, and I was just very slightly blocking a way. I felt really awkward. One of my things generally is I HATE feeling in the way. HATE HATE HATE. I hate walking downtown anywhere because I just can't move as fast as many people, and I hate the feeling of people like power walking past me. Now realistically this was a small movie theatre and I was only really "blocking" about 2 or 3 people, and even then they could get around me, but the feeling made me very uncomfortable.

So when she came out and got in the car after I'd been waiting for a while, I was a bit snippy. I didn't really understand why she'd want me to pull the car around for her - it's a short distance, and it meant me sitting in a position I was very uncomfortable in. For her it was about the small gesture, the consideration and the little thing to make her life easier. And she was hurt that I didn't initially want to do it. When I explained why she understood, but said it was important to her to make the gesture, even if it was only a short distance.

It's funny how the things like that work with spouses and partners. But always a good discussion to have!

That's a great story. I think one thing that I've thought about while reading this book is that it is those little things that often matter to a spouse, especially if it's in their love language. Your wife's language is probably acts of service, so when you do things like bring the car around, it instantly tells her you love her.

BTW, I'm with you, I hate feeling in the way. At the grocery checkout, I always  get stressed because I feel like people think I am taking too long. I don't mid people power walking past me, because I can just move to the side. But if I can't move out of the way, I get stressed. Pretty much, I want everyone in the world to always be happy with me.:)

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 2017/07/15 at 9:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

I think one thing that I've thought about while reading this book is that it is those little things that often matter to a spouse, especially if it's in their love language.

This! And if you don't share a love language, then you can easily dismiss those little things as unimportant.

I seriously dislike situations where I seem inconsiderate to the people around me. For instance if the boys and I go to town and we walk next to each other, it takes up a lot of space, so when someone wants to pass, I always pull the boys either in front of, or behind me (depending on the situation), to make space for other people. However I've often seen other families or groups of people who walk 4-5 next to each other, causing a big blockage, and people then have to walk in a wide arc around to get past. If you wait at a door with a couple of people wanting to go in or out, I would stand aside for someone older or handicapped to go through first, then up comes another person, younger and healthy and they squeeze past all of us to get out/in first! I hate that.

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

I had a good weekend. Saturday  morning and afternoon was spent domestic and a bit of yard rangering. Then we had friends over for game night. I didn't feel like cooking, so we just did sandwich bar. We used our fire pit and made s'mores. Nom. I even found some gluten free graham crackers that were not too bad, and had it with dark chocolate, which was super good.  I used to always keep eating them, because , well they are called s'mores. I did have more than I'd budgeted, but just one more, so not too bad, I 'd planned to eat 2 and I ate three. We had a good time visiting by the fire. We also played Pandemic Legacy, but lost. We were super close though to saving the world. 

Sunday we had church in the morning, then in the afternoon our small group from church went to a park and had picnic. Lovely day. There are a few families I know super well, and a couple of families with little kids that I don't know really well. I made it a point to talk to the families I don't know as well and get to know them. I still feel a bit socially awkward, but the more I practice the better I get at small talk .

After the picnic, hubby and I went swimming in the lake. The  lake was one where you go down a ladder into the water. I was really nervous, because it is over my head. I'm a pretty good swimmer in pools, but lakes make me nervous, Mr. Incredible went first and then he swam a bit and then walked to where it was shallow enough to stand, which wasn't far. After I could see that, I went. It just makes me nervous not seeing the bottom, and this dock was too high to grab unto. We didn't swim for long, or a whole bunch, just a little. Then we sat on the dock and enjoyed the sun.

We decided we wanted to go geocaching. Well, we had planned on it before we remembered the picnic. So we went home and changed out of ourswim suits and went to a river trail. Nice easy paved trail, we walked maybe 2.5 miles. Just a fun outing. We found 2 out of 4 caches. 2 of them that we couldn't find were hidden by the same person. We so weren't getting her clues .  She gave an "spoiler hint" (her words) that said under the rock, which sounds good, until you realize the area is covered in small rocks. We looked under tons of rocks and never found the cache. We did find the other two.

• Like 5

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Heading out for a walk now, Quick week 1 update"

Morning: yes, I;m really  loving working out first thing in the morning. When I start first with Bible, then workout, there is a lot less willpower needed, which is always good

Pushups 10 a day, yep

Summer things; went lake swimming, geocaching, some long walks, had a fire in the fire pit, had family and friends over for  dinner

Today:

Good day, Morning went well. Picked some green beans from our garden for dinner. Tried to make rapspberry muffins. Ran into problem when the oven started billowing smoke. Apparently last time I cooked something spilled. I cleaned it, and hopefully I can bake them tomorrow. Not trying tonight since I'm going for a walk, and I want to be home in case of smoke. I invited some friends over next week for scrapbooking.

0*jqtDFD-VztEKjJuc.jpg

162ffbaf11f9567383588e1dc42a8759.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

The  lake was one where you go down a ladder into the water. I was really nervous, because it is over my head. I'm a pretty good swimmer in pools, but lakes make me nervous, Mr. Incredible went first and then he swam a bit and then walked to where it was shallow enough to stand, which wasn't far. After I could see that, I went.

I have a similar problem. I swim without problem in pools, streams and river ponds, but I have trouble with lakes and the sea. In fact, I have never swam in a lake. It's more manageable in the sea, where I just stay where I can stand, or I may go a bit farther into it without giving it much thought (but not much). I think the darkness of the water is the problem in my case, not because I can't see what's in it, but because of the darkness itself. Issues.

Weekend looked nice indeed!

• Like 3

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:45 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

This! And if you don't share a love language, then you can easily dismiss those little things as unimportant.

I seriously dislike situations where I seem inconsiderate to the people around me. For instance if the boys and I go to town and we walk next to each other, it takes up a lot of space, so when someone wants to pass, I always pull the boys either in front of, or behind me (depending on the situation), to make space for other people. However I've often seen other families or groups of people who walk 4-5 next to each other, causing a big blockage, and people then have to walk in a wide arc around to get past. If you wait at a door with a couple of people wanting to go in or out, I would stand aside for someone older or handicapped to go through first, then up comes another person, younger and healthy and they squeeze past all of us to get out/in first! I hate that.

I think it is good to be considerate of others, but sometimes I worry about it too much

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Your week sounds brilliant, full of good things :) love the minions images!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, zenLara said:

I have a similar problem. I swim without problem in pools, streams and river ponds, but I have trouble with lakes and the sea. In fact, I have never swam in a lake. It's more manageable in the sea, where I just stay where I can stand, or I may go a bit farther into it without giving it much thought (but not much). I think the darkness of the water is the problem in my case, not because I can't see what's in it, but because of the darkness itself. Issues.

Weekend looked nice indeed!

It's partly the darkness with me too. Just kind of creepy. 

• Like 2

Videos of me . Doing stuff.

• Like 7

Impressive!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

4 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Impressive!

Thanks! I'm trying to look at it and not just see all the things I did wrong.

Badass!!

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks! I'm trying to look at it and not just see all the things I did wrong.

I know that feel. But you're awesome. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Badass!!

I know that feel. But you're awesome. 

:)Thanks. 

On 7/18/2017 at 2:40 AM, zenLara said:

I think the darkness of the water is the problem in my case, not because I can't see what's in it, but because of the darkness itself. Issues.

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

It's partly the darkness with me too. Just kind of creepy. 

I'm right there with you both! I have an irrational fear for dark water lol. 

Things seem to be going swell over here, EG :) Loved the ring video! You're such a badass ;) 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

I'm right there with you both! I have an irrational fear for dark water lol. 

Things seem to be going swell over here, EG :) Loved the ring video! You're such a badass ;) 

Wolf

We know the truth

bbdd5f1808f052df00456e2a2ef0da42--sea-mo

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

We know the truth

bbdd5f1808f052df00456e2a2ef0da42--sea-mo

*Shudders* I suppose we do....Man, that's a frightening truthful image of how I see black or dark water...

a6bac677e4ff676b3787d43c9f82ab07af8468ce

What the heck is this person thinking? That doesn't look fun!

9f805a6c40161b185d52678582d47b1be4e45409

Yeah....nope. That is terrifying. Even though this next one is a really cool image of non-dark water, this is still scary AF..

d3e7f219d2da5aaaddfb0ad9f29e66db18de3b5e

Dat Chasm, tho. And then I end with the scariest of ALL the images... (IMO)

e5e966dcbd3ae5e67820d426e045fdf1f92f4a43

Ummmm.... no. Not even for money.

Wolf

• Like 4

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

There's a man-made Rockpool at the beach near our house and I always, always do a walking lap around the edge looking in to the water, checking for sharks or octopi or other yucky things that might touch me while I'm swimming... our friend got stung by a bluebottle once, and once there was a shark in the pool (I wasn't there that day, just read about it in the paper), so I feel my check is justified. We went in the pool at night once and it was terrifying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

*Shudders* I suppose we do....Man, that's a frightening truthful image of how I see black or dark water...

a6bac677e4ff676b3787d43c9f82ab07af8468ce

What the heck is this person thinking? That doesn't look fun!

9f805a6c40161b185d52678582d47b1be4e45409

Yeah....nope. That is terrifying. Even though this next one is a really cool image of non-dark water, this is still scary AF..

d3e7f219d2da5aaaddfb0ad9f29e66db18de3b5e

Dat Chasm, tho. And then I end with the scariest of ALL the images... (IMO)

e5e966dcbd3ae5e67820d426e045fdf1f92f4a43

Ummmm.... no. Not even for money.

Wolf

The third one looks kinda cool. The last one is how I feel when I'm ocean swimming and the water is dark.

35 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

There's a man-made Rockpool at the beach near our house and I always, always do a walking lap around the edge looking in to the water, checking for sharks or octopi or other yucky things that might touch me while I'm swimming... our friend got stung by a bluebottle once, and once there was a shark in the pool (I wasn't there that day, just read about it in the paper), so I feel my check is justified. We went in the pool at night once and it was terrifying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, there wouldn't be any night swimming there for me,

When we were in Florida we were listening to a nature guy on public radio. He was talking about Smyrna Beach (the closest to MIL) being the shark capital and that if you've been in the waves there you've been within ten feet of a shark.

This was just after we decided to bring the kids there the next day. I noped out of that choice and took them to a beach on the other side of the state instead.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

18 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When we were in Florida we were listening to a nature guy on public radio. He was talking about Smyrna Beach (the closest to MIL) being the shark capital and that if you've been in the waves there you've been within ten feet of a shark.

This was just after we decided to bring the kids there the next day. I noped out of that choice and took them to a beach on the other side of the state instead.

10 feet of a shark?! That's way too close. I guess that means that really they aren't that dangerous,blah, blah, blah. I still don't want to be that close to them.

• Like 1

We get to camp in an area where the eclipse will be total! I'm sort of excited/nervous. We tried to find hotel reservations, but it was like $500 for a Motel 6. Today, my friend was over, and she said they are camping there. A family has opened up their ranch for camping. We haven't gone camping in, umm. 10 years? Not even sure if our tent still works. It will be super cool to see the eclipse, and it's several couples going, so that should be fun.But it is going to be so crowded. That's a little terrifying. But, sometimes, you just need to go for the adventure.

I'm on day 15 of my pushups, so half done.

My morning experiment is great. I'm trying not to eat until after I workout. I figure if I keep that up for a month, then my body will adjust better. I was a bit concerned because Monday and Tuesday  I was super hungry all day. Decided to eat over my budget , because I was just hungry. So I worried that skipping breakfast was setting me up to be hungry all day. But today I didn't feel that way. Even if I decide to eat before breakfast, I'm just going to do a quick breakfast, and then workout right away. I end up feeling so much more productive. I'm not sure I'm really getting all that much more done, but it feels like it.

I'm still happy with my decision to join GMB"s Alpha Posse. The trainers are very encouraging. It's a bit quiet on there, but I guess that is good, because if it were like here, I'd never keep up.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

We get to camp in an area where the eclipse will be total!

That's so cool!!! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Meanwhile I look at those pictures and get excited to find out what's down there. :D You just need to reset your mindset. ;) 

:) Very true. I need to steal some of  your adventurous spirit.