I suppose you could say I'm here as a mentor? (If that doesn't sound too pretentious or anything...) I've done a good number of challenges, not always successful, not always at my best, and rarely in one guild for too long.

A bit of an introduction would probably be good... (It's spoilered because it's long and a bit of a brain dump, and some people already know a lot of it.)

Spoiler

So, I'm thirty, and I literally grew up playing games (No, seriously, there's a picture of me when I was a baby rolling dice for my dad's D&D game). Nowadays, I mostly play video games (Mass Effect, Fallout, and Borderlands are the main series I've been playing lately). I'm also an anime fan, but I don't watch nearly as much as I used to. And I do a fair bit of bullet journaling, but I still consider myself a beginner because I only started a few months ago.

I've been a vegetarian since 2015, and I have a love/hate relationship with food (that at times drifts towards eating disorder, but never serious enough for a diagnosis).

My main focus in fitness right now is to master the push-up and the pull-up. So most of my strength training revolves around that. I enjoy bodyweight workouts. I avoid gyms for numerous reasons, and can't have a pull-up bar where I live. But I have found a lovely playground about a mile from where I live, so I go there to train (I also like being outside, so double win). I'm also interested in hiking (as long as it doesn't involve sleeping outside). In the future I'd like to get into snowboarding and parkour (broke and no car severely limits what I can do). 

I'm non-binary (gender), and use they/them pronouns. I'm also asexual, but married (we have a deep platonic bond). And I'm pagan.

I'm currently taking anti-depressants, and regularly see a therapist. Aside from depression, I also have really bad social anxiety. I may (very likely) also be on the autistic spectrum, but I've never tried getting it tested. I did get tested for ADHD, and in a surprising turn of events don't actually have it (and might have a reading disorder). I do have trouble with focus and concentration, it's just caused by other things (like depression and anxiety).

And at the end of last year I was hit by a car while crossing the street. So the beginning of this year involved a lot of bed rest, and I was lucky that I only needed bed rest to recover. Sometimes I still get aches and pains. And there's still a slight bruise where I got hit. But I've basically fully recovered (physically). 

So I've narrowed it down to four goals to focus on this time around. I'm also grading this challenge, which I haven't done in awhile.

Hydrate

Drink at least two liters of fluid five times a week.

Engage

Post at least once on this thread and on someone else's thread five times a week.

Hunt

Work on job hunting stuff at least four times a week.

Explore

Go outside and explore at least once a week.

Grading  Each success will count as 1 point. So, if I 100% this, that makes 15 points a week, for a total of 60 points. Bonus points are also possible. Rewards are to be determined. I have to be creative since I can't really buy much.

A+ = 65 or higher

A = 60 - 64

B = 50 - 59

C = 40 - 49

D = 30 - 39

F = 29 or lower

• Like 9

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Awesome challenge and thanks for the intro! It's great to know more about you :) Ace pride woo!

Thanks for stopping by to mentor, I think I speak for all of us when I say the Rebel Guild appreciates it! <3 

Just curious, are your pushup/pull up goals included in explore (maybe that playground you mentioned) or side-quests you're working on but not focusing on for the challenge? 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Awesome challenge and thanks for the intro! It's great to know more about you :) Ace pride woo!

Thanks for stopping by to mentor, I think I speak for all of us when I say the Rebel Guild appreciates it! <3 

Just curious, are your pushup/pull up goals included in explore (maybe that playground you mentioned) or side-quests you're working on but not focusing on for the challenge? 

Thanks ^_^

The pull-up/push-up is more of a "didn't make the cut so I hope it's enough of a habit" goal. I tend to go overboard with my number of goals in a challenge, and I really wanted to keep it simple this time around. I think I spent more time trying to narrow down my goals than I did actually writing the challenge!

And this challenge is now magically snake themed! (It'll make sense, trust me. But it might not make sense till the morning. :P)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Thanks ^_^

The pull-up/push-up is more of a "didn't make the cut so I hope it's enough of a habit" goal. I tend to go overboard with my number of goals in a challenge, and I really wanted to keep it simple this time around. I think I spent more time trying to narrow down my goals than I did actually writing the challenge!

Lol I totally feel that. You ended up with a good list though (or so I think)! 

4 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

And this challenge is now magically snake themed! (It'll make sense, trust me. But it might not make sense till the morning. :P)

Omg yes I'm so here for this give me all the snakes

• Like 1

I finished it last night, but I had to let the glitter dry first. One of my cats kept jumping on the table, and nooo you're gonna glitter on your paws! Then this morning I decided to take my journal to the park (with the playground) so I could get some better lighting.

After I got home I did some protein shake experimentation. Summer = strawberry lemonade. I have not had strawberry lemonade in a very long time, so of course something had to be done. And thus the strawberry lemonade protein shake was born! Strawberries, lemon juice, water, banana, and soy protein powder.

I also downloaded an app this morning to help with the water tracking: Plant Nanny. OMG IT'S SO CUTE! You can set it to give you reminders every few hours. Which should help me a lot (if I don't ignore them), because I usually end up chugging a lot of water before bed to hit my goal. It also tells you how much water you "should" be drinking based on your weight and activity level. I got 2,663 ml. That's a bit more than my original goal, but I'm gonna listen to the app and then see what my body says. 

• Like 7

So far, so good. Sort of. I spent a fair bit of time on the forums, including posting instead of just lurking and liking. I also hit my water goal. I have had to go to the bathroom so many times today! >_< (But my body says it's not over hydrated, so all good?)

What I didn't do was work on my job hunt. I scheduled time for it. It just never happened. I kept pushing it back. And then my back started hurting, so after a really painful time with the lacrosse ball I just lied down for a bit. This just further reinforces that I need to be at a library or cafe to put myself in the "time to get work done" mindset. 

I did get some chores done. Laundry, and cleaned the bathroom sink. Wow, it was disgusting. And then I tried to unclog it, and I think I just made it worse... I really need to go to the hardware store and get one of those cheap disposable snakes, instead of just DIYing it with random stuff. My sink does not like random stuff. (And the yucky chemical stuff that you pour down the drain to magically unclog everything never works for me.)

• Like 3

Lol I checked in this morning and my notifications were full of "zeroh13 liked a post in ___" Your presence has been felt! 

Regarding the hydration thing, stick with it for two weeks and check back in. You may find your body has adjusted to the new "normal" for water consumption and isn't sending you to the bathroom quite so frequently. (Thank goodness!) 

Sounds like you challenge is off to a good start! Although you didn't do what you wanted to with your job hunt and the bathroom sink, you did at least clean something, and it seems like you've got a good idea of how to set yourself up for success in the future regarding those issues. Best of luck!

• Like 3

Lol I checked in this morning and my notifications were full of "zeroh13 liked a post in ___" Your presence has been felt! 

I do that all the time. XD It's shorthand for "I read it, good post, but I don't know what to say."

Regarding the hydration thing, stick with it for two weeks and check back in. You may find your body has adjusted to the new "normal" for water consumption and isn't sending you to the bathroom quite so frequently. (Thank goodness!) 

Hopefully. I don't really mind it all that much. I just need to get better at putting lotion on my hands before my eczma starts acting up. 

• Like 1

Why, out of all places, is my butt sore? It's not like I really do squats. I do squat pull-ups (an assisted pull-ups), but I use way more arm strength than leg strength. My back is sore, but I'm pretty used to that.

This morning started out ruff. I got confused about the start time for my shift, and ended up being an hour late (my boss doesn't care, but still). And when I tried to get a day pass with my transit card, it just charged the regular one way fare instead. IDK if the bus driver pushed the wrong button, or I tapped my card too soon. Thankfully whatever the problem was, I was able to buy a pass on my second bus. I'll be so happy when I can afford the monthly pass...

The rest of the day was okay. I'm filling in at one of the cafes, and I was helping the chef instead of running the register, so I was a bit out of my element there. I end up working slow cause I'm not familiar with it, and then I feel bad for being slow. *Sigh*

After work was playing Borderlands 2 with my wife. I skipped group therapy because I knew she need some quality time to distract her from drama she's dealing with.

And now, I'm going to bed. And then I'm going to wake up early, and actually get to work on time tomorrow. And after work I'll go to the library and work on job stuff.

• Like 6

I had a longer post but then I got pulled away from my computer.

Super short version, didn't go to library because I wasn't feeling too well and my wife was super stressed from friend drama.

Our apartment has been smelling absolutely horrible since the afternoon. Our upstairs neighbor moved out, so they've been fixing it up for the next people. They were doing something with the tub today and our apartment smells like chemicals. Most of our windows are open, but it's not really helping. And we'll have to close them soon (before bed) because we live on the first floor. Maybe I could get away with having the kitchen ones open a crack, but not any of the others. *sigh*

Still going good with water and posting at least.

• Like 5

Plant Nanny! I used to have that, before I went on a phone app purge and reluctantly left my little plant. But I have to agree, it is one of the cutest apps :P

Sorry to hear about the apartment. Do you know how long it will take before the chemicals drain out of the system? 

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

6 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

Sorry to hear about the apartment. Do you know how long it will take before the chemicals drain out of the system? 

No idea. Last time there was a foul smell from someone working up there (paint thinner maybe), it cleared out after leaving the windows open a bit. 

This time they were working on the tub, and they had this ventilation tube while they were working (I assume that's what it was.) But when I left this morning, all the windows were closed, so whatever it was couldn't vent out.

6 minutes ago, Casbin said:

Hm, did you talk to the workers?

If it is leaving such an impression in your apartment it might be a bad sign or they might be able to help you with a different timing.

The workers were gone by the time it got really noticable. Before they left it was pretty faint, but noticable enough that I opened the kitchen windows, which usually does the trick.

I'm supposed to call the leasing office today to complain. I don't know if it'll do any good or not. All the people doing the work are contractors.

• Like 1

The workers were gone by the time it got really noticable. Before they left it was pretty faint, but noticable enough that I opened the kitchen windows, which usually does the trick.

I'm supposed to call the leasing office today to complain. I don't know if it'll do any good or not. All the people doing the work are contractors.

More often then not the people in place will only get half of the info they'd need and most often no info on whom to contact.

A little chitchat and a friendly tone can often do wonders even with subcontractors.

But that might only be a legit option around here.

How are you doing with your application and how is the plant?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A520F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

18 minutes ago, Casbin said:

More often then not the people in place will only get half of the info they'd need and most often no info on whom to contact.

A little chitchat and a friendly tone can often do wonders even with subcontractors.

But that might only be a legit option around here.

How are you doing with your application and how is the plant?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A520F mit Tapatalk

Calling the leasing office didn't really do much. The guy basically said, it's a strong paint, it's not toxic, and they vented it the best they could. He also said sorry several times. IMO leaving the bathroom window open was not the best they could do...  But those contractors came in to fix up (paint) the tub, so hopefully they won't be back.

The job application was going okay, then my laptop died... I left the cord at home because I knew I would only have an hour or two to work. But then I used the laptop to charge my phone since I wasn't near any outlets. That was not very well thought out...

The resume has been finished, I did a couple final edits on the cover letter. And I was about to work on the application questions. Which I was drawing a blank on anyway. (How do you demonstrate leadership? What is good customer service? That kind of stuff.)

I have very little experience with real job searching. I didn't have to go through all these steps to get my current job.

So far so good with the hydration. It also helps that it gets really hot here during the summer. Like, the high today was 94F (34C). 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, adamantlycaustic said:

Hey! Your second goal is similar to one of mine.

Glad I'm not the only one using these challenges to work on being social :)

Good luck and hope you'll keep up the momentum AND do better in the coming weeks.

Thanks. If I don't pay attention to it, I usually ending lurking or being the one just sitting in the corner. :)

• Like 1

Zeroh, I might be confusing you with someone else, but I think you have lots of good examples of leadership and customer service...and that's just vaguely what I can remember from your past threads.

Wasn't there something where you guys didn't have the same products you usually would to see, so you improvised and made some kind of baked goods display (that sold a lot of doughnuts or something???). You could pitch that as "taking initiative" or "making products more accessible to customers"

I think it's you that has had many examples of being very scrupulous with food safely both in terms of consumer health and safety for the workers (I kind of remember someone else leaving on some piece of equipment in a way that could have been very dangerous).

This is all you, right?? You have lots of experience, just don't be afraid to talk about it.

{It's possible I mixed you up with someone else...if I did, I'm really sorry, but I'm 100% positive you have lots of relevant and interesting stories you can talk about}

One piece of advice I've heard is to imagine that you were writing about someone else (so you don't feel like you need to be overly modest of self-critical).

• Like 6

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Zeroh, I might be confusing you with someone else, but I think you have lots of good examples of leadership and customer service...and that's just vaguely what I can remember from your past threads.

Wasn't there something where you guys didn't have the same products you usually would to see, so you improvised and made some kind of baked goods display (that sold a lot of doughnuts or something???). You could pitch that as "taking initiative" or "making products more accessible to customers"

I think it's you that has had many examples of being very scrupulous with food safely both in terms of consumer health and safety for the workers (I kind of remember someone else leaving on some piece of equipment in a way that could have been very dangerous).

This is all you, right?? You have lots of experience, just don't be afraid to talk about it.

{It's possible I mixed you up with someone else...if I did, I'm really sorry, but I'm 100% positive you have lots of relevant and interesting stories you can talk about}

One piece of advice I've heard is to imagine that you were writing about someone else (so you don't feel like you need to be overly modest of self-critical).

That was me. 

I think I need to approach the question differently. Part of the problem is the line between just doing my job, and being a good leader/worker. I'm not trying to be modest, most of the things I do I just see as nothing special. I guess I have high standards?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

That was me. 

I think I need to approach the question differently. Part of the problem is the line between just doing my job, and being a good leader/worker. I'm not trying to be modest, most of the things I do I just see as nothing special. I guess I have high standards?

We talked on my thread about how this is definitely a thing! Just because YOU feel something isn't special doesn't mean it is perceived that way by others. I've started to think about it in terms of, "what do I do that others appear to be surprised about?" or "what do others thank you for doing?". Those are great places to start! 

• Like 5
20 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

What is good customer service? That kind of stuff.

Not sure if this applies to what you're applying for, but I do customer service that isn't face-to-face (email mostly and some phone). One attitude I've found that goes over really well with the bosses is the motto, "Customers who complain are doing your company a favor." They're taking time out of their day to let you know where you're not doing well, and by contacting you at all, they're also asking you to woo them back to your business. Even if they sound dissatisfied, those are the people who have the most desire to remain loyal to you and who really want to tell all their friends how great your business is. Take good care of them and the rest will fall into place. 

• Like 2