• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Solidarity, rangers! I'm back, rested up from my last challenge, and itching to jump back into things again. High summer here, so perfect time to focus on fitness, while also being a badass at work and, I hope, cultivating a happy/ confident/ resilient attitude so I can fully enjoy all the awesome things about my current life.

Last challenge wasn't perfect for me, but got me into some really positive habits that I'll keep up, and build on. And while I'm no Queen Bey, she's my model for this challenge...

giphy.gif

Anyway here's Wonderwall, ah, my new goals:

Physical Stuff--(To track the success of these ones I'll also take some weight and body measurements)

Kettlebell routine: 5 days/week. Scores 1 point/day, bonus points possible for >5 in a week

Hot yoga: 5 days/week until my membership expires end of the month. Scoring as above.

Tracking food and water: Every damn day for this one! 1 point/day. This goal encourages, but I guess does not absolutely require, batch meal preps for brekkie and lunch.

Daily 500 cal deficit: Totally hangs on tracking food. 2 points/day.

Mental Stuff-- So mostly, my colleagues and students are great and I love my job (especially in summer, haha) but we all get the occasional hater. To avoid bringing bad moods home to my awesome husband, kids and dogs, I propose the following,

End-of-day Dance party: As little as 5 minutes counts, or whatever I need to shake it off. Probably do this at home, only to be done in the office under great duress and extreme circumstances! 1 point/day to max of 5/week.

giphy.gif

Squad Goals: Do something social at least 3 days per week. Invite a colleague to lunch or a grad student to coffee, hit the departmental social hour, anything goes here really. 1 point/day to a max of 3/week.

Booze: Gah, wine and beer are EVERYWHERE in the summer but really mess with my sleep and next-day moods. I have two big celebrations coming up next week, will allow 1 glass for each, but otherwise am off the sauce. I'm signed up for a kombucha making workshop tomorrow so we'll see how that is as a sub :)

Let's do this!

• Like 3

Thanks EG! (Sob) the kombucha workshop was postponed til September D:  but as a goodwill gesture the place gave me a free bottle with my refund.

OK, challenge!

Kettlebells: check. One point on the board!

Yoga: check. Today's class was "hot flow", snicker (sounds super menstrual). +another point!

Tracking food and water, and calorie deficit: so far so good, but the day's still young

Lay off the sauce: as above

Social: out for dinner, yeah!

Dance party: not yet, but could still happen, and not much going on today to get me steamed and stressed anyway. Bike ride with the hubby, awesome yoga, chillin with the chilluns and the dogs in the garden --> not a lot of stress built up to release. I did, however, get my moves on last night to a most excellent punk/klezmer band in the city park!

Creepin' around other Ranger threads reminds me that besides just accumulating points, it would be good to, you know, institute rewards. (Step One: collect points) I'll think on that, but an awesome top reward would be springing for the 4-month unlimited membership at the sweaty yoga place. Or I could pre-emptively reward myself with a great pair of shoes that I, ah, already ordered (ashamed face).

I'll be back after mulling rewards! Suggestions welcome. Workout gear is a possibility but I have a big drawerful already. Dang stuff wears forever!

• Like 2

Yoga membership sounds like a great reward if it would motivate you. I've used sushi as a reward recently (gotta be careful using food as a reward...I go with that one because it's healthy but a little extravagant). I often reward myself with straight-up cash to put toward what I want (usually clothes or shoes).

I love your dance party goal!

• Like 3

I'd love to go be a hermit in the mountains making kombucha. and maybe swords. master swordsmith and kombucha master would be pretty sweet titles. If you have a korean bathhouse or any kinda of sauna/bathhouse place, that'd be a pretty killer reward? I try to avoid food at a reward, but if you're a sushi person and it doesn't mess with your diet, taking a friend to a relaxing, quieter sushi bar when it's slow and enjoying some tea with a couple/few shared rolls, might also be a good one. I'm a cheapskate so if I order sashimi and the smaller rolls not drowned in sauces, I won't order as much food. Tea time should be the focus with sushi as more of appetizers or snacks. There's usually a good number of healthier options for sushi and appetizers anyway. Good luck and Beyonce it up! :o:D

• Like 3

Oh man. I thought I had the challenge in the bag, but I ended up as (whatever the opposite of Beyoncé is) D:

Things went off the rails when I went out for fancy lunch with the better half, and seemed like too much work to track food, and if I wasn't tracking then why bother with the other stuff, and ... Now weeks later, quite possibly fatter and softer.

I'll pick myself up though! Embarking now on a week pretty much solo at the family cottage in the woods. Just me and the dogs and the kettlebell, as the rest of the family needs the week in town. Thanks guys for checking in and I'll get it next time!

• Like 2