Customising your Batcave ideas

Hi,

I've had a search but there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to the Batcave quest. (Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong please.)

So this is what I've done:

Changes

1. Made up a kit bag for gym cardio, it'll get loaded into the van so I can go straight there after work and can't use the 'Can't be arsed now that I'm home' excuse.

2. Cleaned out the fridge, freezer and cupboards of bad food.

3. One week out of four I go 'on-call' (so no beer and can't really go out at night) so I will use that week to cook freezable, healthy food to use for the next three weeks.

Barriers

1. I've removed the Hungry House and Just Eat Apps from my phone and also added the websites to a blocker extension on Chrome. (I order pizza when drunk...)

2. Stop going to the pub on the way home from work for a 'cheeky pint'. Even if I just pop in for one beer it messes up my head and I'll feel like having another when I get back home.

3. I'm going to cancel the home delivery beer service I use. While I like beer and have no intention of getting on the waggon it really is a little too much temptation to have bottles of lovely craft ale sitting in the fridge or under the stairs. I also homebrew occasionally so it might also mean that I'll start getting more inventive with that!

So that's my ideas. In a months time, I'm going to have to think of a new Change and a new Barrier to keep the quest going.

What have you done?

• Like 3

Hey man. Great suggestions! Here are the customizations that I made:

Changes

• Put a Darth Vader alarm clock at the furthest point from my bed. I now have to get up to turn it off. I used to use my phone on my night stand, but it was soooo easy to roll over and hit the snooze button an embarassing amount of times. The "rest" I was gaining by rolling over for 9 more minutes was pointless anyway, as it wasnt true sleep, just dozing off and wasting precious time.
  • I put my running shoes / shorts/ socks/ headphones etc all right next to Darth. Now I make the decision when I turn him off; cross over to the dark side by turning around and flopping back into bed, or follow the light and get my butt out for a run/walk to start my day.
  • I set a series of reminders in an app that I use to track my nutrition. I reminds me to get the info in there, and forces me to really dial in on what I am eating and drinking for the day. It helps me hold myself accountable to bad decisions, by making me own up to them and report them into my daily diary. 

Barriers

• I went through my kitchen and freezer and finally got rid of all that junk food. It was great, and simultaneously terrible. I got rid of all my salty snacks like chips, and all of the chocolate and sweets that I succumb to late at night. 
  • I deleted facebook from my phone. I spend way way too much time zoning out and scrolling through hours of click-bait and garbage. I now use that time to do something productive, or read a book. I cant believe how much time I have been spending staring at the screen of my phone instead of getting out and having fun.
  • I purged myself of all my take-out menus and coupons. Out of sight, out of mind!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in a month! Ill be busy trying to come up with ideas and strategies as well, and will report back. Good luck!!

Scotto

Spoiler

• Like 1

So, Batcave#2

Change

I tend to wait until the weekend to tidy the house. Which then doesn't happen as I'm 'busy'... 

So I'm going for the 20/10 method. I got the idea from here:

Warning. Rude words used...

So each day a room in the house gets 20 minutes of tidying, followed by 10 minutes of me time (usually a cup of tea and a nice sit down).

Kind of a mindset quest.

Barrier

I don't just start browsing the tinternet as soon as I get home. I'm allowed free reign at 9pm, some things like work email and budgeting are done (I use YNAB, it's great!) but no forums, FB or gaming.

Thanks for starting the thread. I'm still really new but the batcave is now:

Change

Packing meals for 3 days after I cook. I will sometimes not eat or grab something I shouldn't cause I'm too lazy to get from the meat, veggie, etc. containers

I am trying to help with mobility so after my workouts (which I find easier/more fun) I am doing a few stretches as part of my cool down routine before coming back upstairs from the basement.

I have an old laptop in the basement so I can do stretching videos at least once a week, no excuse because I left my device upstairs

Barrier

Make up the bed and no laptop in the bed. I work from home so it's easy to just plop down and pull over Surface Pro...now the goal is to get to the office and be an adult (sort of).

If I decide to eat something not super clean, I will eat out for a meal, or immediately get the leftovers out of the house.

Hey! A bit delayed but Here are some of the things I have done in my new house.

- First, I made sure that when I moved in, my TV would be in my living room and NOT in my bedroom. This has helped my sleep habits sooooo much, since I have a definite time that I have to peel off the TV and go to bed.

- No snack foods in the house. The closest thing to snacks I have are Pita bread and mixed nuts. If I am going to eat, I am going to take the effort to prepare it so i can curb unnecessary snacking.

- No food in the living room. Alongside snacking, I tend to idly eat when I'm watching TV or playing a game and that leads me to steadily eat more over time. The kitchen is for eating, and the Living room is for not eating.

Hope these help!