• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

Kishi Says Relax

Oh right these things start on Sunday now

So! Hello again everyone. Hope things have been awesome.

I spent the past couple weeks just chilling and not making a topic because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. Or, I knew, but I didn't know how to articulate it. Mostly, I've just been watching myself and seeing what works and what doesn't, what is right and what is wrong, and simply striving see things w/o any sense of judgment.

I've made the terrible but necessary decision to suspend TGUs for a while because I can't find a way to do them that doesn't bugger up my elbow. Oh, to be clear, I've really refined the movement a lot in terms of how I load and unload the bell onto my body - the arm I pull with and how I let it fall off of me - but like I said. Anyway I do it causes the golfer's elbow to get upset. So, I have to let the loaded version go for a bit in favor of the shod version (read: doing it with a shoe to keep the mechanics I've learned integrated in the system). Because frankly there's value in that. Elements of the TGU show up in newaza, and there's no reason not to keep practicing how to get up off the ground.

Interestingly, I've found that after refreshing myself on how to do inverted rows in the GB style that it made my elbow feel better. It's probably something to do with the fact that I'm only doing it once a week and allow for loads and loads of rest in the meantime.

The only way I was able to learn all this was to relax my grip on what I thought I had to do and to be honest with what was helpful to me and what wasn't. So, the theme of this challenge is to simply relax into my life and let happen what will.

GOAL 1: MODIFIED S&S

I can still swing. That's good news. I've concluded that this ability to swing is what's really made me into a beast that can go from strength work to fighting work to running work to helping someone move without any real trouble. I'm still on track to go for the 88, because there's no reason not to unless I hurt myself. The only catch is, I can't do TGUs with any weight right now.

So, modify it. Goal is to take steps toward 100 swings in a row w/ the 70. Once I can do that, then move on to the 88. In the meantime, keep practicing those good mechanics w/ TGUs - pull with the opposite arm, keep the loaded arm socketed in the shoulder, and let the bell shoe slide off when I unload.

GOAL 2: SATURDAY

I've been going to the dojo pretty consistently and I've got a feel for how things work there. Now I know that if I want to go to randori, I'm going to have to hit up Saturday classes. This is not so bad, but I've a tendency to squander that day.

But there's more going on than just judo. Work has offered overtime as well, meaning I can hit time and a half. That's not insignificant and I can make a big dent in my caseload if the building is open.

The only way I can take advantage of either of these is if I get the eff up on Saturday mornings and don't stay up late. And to be frank about it, there's no percentage in it anyway. Going to bed earlier just makes me more rested and happier with life in general.

The goal is to get to bed at the normal bedtime - somewhere between 2300 and midnight if not earlier - and to be constructive with my time.

GOAL 3: CLEAN

I let my foot off the gas with this goal. Need to put it back on. Get that last corner cleaned up. There's no need for that stuff to be there. And then... gulp. The storage unit. Dad's been hinting at me that I need to get that cleaned up anyway, so.

GOAL 4: WRITE AND LEARN

Duolingo put in a Japanese mod. I'm so freaking stoked. Study on casual 5 minutes a day.

Also, need to keep working on the story and writing scenes. One a day. No excuses.

GOAL 5: PLAY THIS FREAKING GAEM

Okay, so. I got into this game. It's called Cross Code.

It's really, really good. Think Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana IN SPACE, with a physics engine to boot.

Oh, and I don't know if you can tell from the trailer but it's Dark Souls-hard. I'm not kidding. Reviewers have noted the exact same thing. The combat revolves a lot around noticing enemy tells and countering them proper, but that's not easy when you're swarmed with enemies and they all have different tells.

But it's a game, and I enjoy it. I want to find some time each week to keep playing it. Even if it's in beta and unfinished right now. It's that good.

And... yeah. That about does it for me this time around. Let's go to work.

• Like 7

Sounds like a solid plan!  I really like your modification for S&S.  That's something that more people need to do. If you cannot do something for some reason, find a way to modify it to make it work. I like it! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kishi said:

Duolingo put in a Japanese mod. I'm so freaking stoked. Study on casual 5 minutes a day.

Yea, I've put the same settings on the course.  So far I'm shocked how much some of the hiragana has stuck in my brain, but I still want to try and get a writing program to solidify it more.  Also I'm really glad of my cursory Japanese lessons/aikido - certain words and phrases I understand/remember from them, which has made things a bit easier.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:14 PM, Shotokan said:

Sounds like a solid plan!  I really like your modification for S&S.  That's something that more people need to do. If you cannot do something for some reason, find a way to modify it to make it work. I like it! 

Thanks! Not to brag, but it's something I have a lot of practice in. :'D

22 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Yea, I've put the same settings on the course.  So far I'm shocked how much some of the hiragana has stuck in my brain, but I still want to try and get a writing program to solidify it more.  Also I'm really glad of my cursory Japanese lessons/aikido - certain words and phrases I understand/remember from them, which has made things a bit easier.

Yeah, the kana sticking is a pleasant surprise. The words are different, though, way too polite. :D

21 hours ago, Urgan said:

HERE FOR THIS. 

16 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeee

tenor.gif

16 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Duolingo couldn't have come out with it a year earlier?! I might have to dive into this.

The best time for this app to come out was years ago. The second best time is now... or something like that.

10 hours ago, Teirin said:

Solid plans, as always :-)  Glad to hear you're getting to the dojo regularly.

Yeah! It feels good. Like I'm doing the thing my training is meant for.

GOAL 1: -/-

GOAL 2: -/-

GOAL 3: -/-

GOAL 4: 1/1

GOAL 5: -/-

This is an unusual challenge in that there's not a lot to do on the daily. It's more about catching opportunities when they come. These are always interesting challenges. I do not know how this will go. Fitting for a relaxation challenge, I suppose.

Not a whole lot to do today. It's normally a rest anyway, but then our DM wound up in the hospital again and the game got called. So, I'm off to take advantage of that.

We will see what tomorrow gives us to work with.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, the kana sticking is a pleasant surprise. The words are different, though, way too polite. :D

I geeked out a bit yesterday at the dojo, as I realized I recognized the "no" hirigana, which makes sense, because whatever I was looking at was "The Path of" Something, where I'm already aware that the "no" is a connection/possession marker in Japanese. 

One day, I might even understand what things are saying...

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

Following, taking notes on being relaxed while active. 

Sure! Take a look as I panic over not panicking. Should be great. :D

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

I geeked out a bit yesterday at the dojo, as I realized I recognized the "no" hirigana, which makes sense, because whatever I was looking at was "The Path of" Something, where I'm already aware that the "no" is a connection/possession marker in Japanese. 

One day, I might even understand what things are saying...

You might even say you'll... "know" it? Huh? Huh?

look I gotta take what I can get here okay

GOAL 1: 1/1

GOAL 4: 2/2

Well! Second day went okay. Got out to my field and practiced my swings, 4x25x70. Did TGUs with my shoes afterward, and that felt okay. Elbow twinged slightly with the swings since I have a hard time keeping my arms loose; I have a tendency to pull in. No pain today, though.

Karate afterward was good too. Worked on fakes with front kick and managed to get K-sensei with it in sparring. That was fun.

Wish I had more to say than that, but I suppose something will happen soon enough. I can enjoy the peace for now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well! Second day went okay. Got out to my field and practiced my swings, 4x25x70. Did TGUs with my shoes afterward, and that felt okay. Elbow twinged slightly with the swings since I have a hard time keeping my arms loose; I have a tendency to pull in. No pain today, though.

Dumb question: What is your typical TGU session look like? Is it always high reps? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Urgan said:

Dumb question: What is your typical TGU session look like? Is it always high reps? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nope, it's high set, low rep. The swings are going high rep, but the TGUs are 5x1 per side for a total of 10 reps.

GOAL 1: 1/1

GOAL 4: 3/3

So weird to only do one goal as opposed to having all these numbers to remember.

Anyway, managed to do GB yesterday, but got to work late and got out late and finished late. So no Judo for me.

I tried to see it as an opportunity to hit the heavy bag instead, which I did. Also did banded uchikomi and played around with the skipping rope.

One thing I'm definitely struggling with this week is sleep. It doesn't seem to matter how tired I am or how much sleep I need - if I have an alarm to get up for, then as soon as that predawn light hits my window I'm up. I can't seem to get that under control, but OTOH I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing since I'm wanting to get in the habit of getting up earlier anyway.

What that means, though, is that I've got to take some drastic measures if I'm going to get enough sleep. I think what that probably looks like is killing my downtime at night - when I get home, no laptop, no nothing. Just eat dinner, shower, and get to bed. Otherwise, everything slows down. I understand how draconian that must sound, but the truth is I'm kind of at my wit's end as to how to address this otherwise.

OT is up on Saturday. Just more incentive to get this right. Cool. Onward.

On 10/07/2017 at 11:52 PM, Kishi said:

You may know this but I took Japanese as an elective in uni (figured I would pick an actually interesting elective) and the prof said they teach foreigners the polite grammar first because that way it is what you will default to if stressed or nervous - so you won't accidentally piss off a stranger or authority figure by being too familiar. It is apparently really rude to speak with a lower politeness conjugation than the situation calls for, but being too formal is just seen as a bit old-fashioned. 

• Like 2

Also: Canadians learning Japanese need to know that sarcasm is not casual humor in Japanese culture but actually very insulting. Prof said it was the biggest part of culture shock for her when she came to Canada - we have a sarcastic humor culture here in Canada and apparently it can be downright upsetting for a Japanese person to experience so refrain from sarcasm.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kishi said:

One thing I'm definitely struggling with this week is sleep. It doesn't seem to matter how tired I am or how much sleep I need - if I have an alarm to get up for, then as soon as that predawn light hits my window I'm up. I can't seem to get that under control, but OTOH I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing since I'm wanting to get in the habit of getting up earlier anyway.

What that means, though, is that I've got to take some drastic measures if I'm going to get enough sleep. I think what that probably looks like is killing my downtime at night - when I get home, no laptop, no nothing. Just eat dinner, shower, and get to bed. Otherwise, everything slows down. I understand how draconian that must sound, but the truth is I'm kind of at my wit's end as to how to address this otherwise.

Going with the flow will be a good challenge for you. I like how you are making smaller adjustments over time. Proof that you are getting close to what you really want in a program.

I hear you on the sleep. Both on getting to bed earlier and on waking up too early. Could you pack food so that you eat more of your evening calories before you get home? I find that eating too close to bedtime can interfere with my sleep, as well as just taking the time to eat.

Another thing that might help are blackout curtains. A good temporary substitute is a piece of black fabric draped strategically over the curtain rod. A fleece throw or a couple of black towels would do the trick. Plus you could take them with you when you move. I understand about wanting to get up earlier most days. These would help on the days when you had a good reason to stay up late and want to catch up on sleep before work.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chemgeek said:

You may know this but I took Japanese as an elective in uni (figured I would pick an actually interesting elective) and the prof said they teach foreigners the polite grammar first because that way it is what you will default to if stressed or nervous - so you won't accidentally piss off a stranger or authority figure by being too familiar. It is apparently really rude to speak with a lower politeness conjugation than the situation calls for, but being too formal is just seen as a bit old-fashioned. 

Yup. Back when I took this in college, we called it the concept of "social-distality." Ie, there's a certain distance you have to maintain from people in order for it to be polite. And I know that. It's just that I'm used to more colloquial sounds, blue-collar Japanese basically. Which isn't to say I speak the language well enough to do that - I'm still doing Duolingo after all - but it's just weird to hear the polite forms again.

22 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Also: Canadians learning Japanese need to know that sarcasm is not casual humor in Japanese culture but actually very insulting. Prof said it was the biggest part of culture shock for her when she came to Canada - we have a sarcastic humor culture here in Canada and apparently it can be downright upsetting for a Japanese person to experience so refrain from sarcasm.

Didn't know about the sarcasm problem. That is good to know. I'm actually a fairly sarcastic person IRL. OTOH, I understand they're big on puns over there. :D

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

Going with the flow will be a good challenge for you. I like how you are making smaller adjustments over time. Proof that you are getting close to what you really want in a program.

I like to think so. :) It's took a while to get here, but all things considered I'd say that things are humming along rather well. I feel like I have something I can do anywhere that translates into real world strength and work capacity while also making me able to do the things I like to do. It's a good feeling.

I hear you on the sleep. Both on getting to bed earlier and on waking up too early. Could you pack food so that you eat more of your evening calories before you get home? I find that eating too close to bedtime can interfere with my sleep, as well as just taking the time to eat.

I suppose I could, but a lot of that would involve meal prep and things like that, which you have helped me with and which I have not implemented yet. In any event, I find I do well on lots of small meals throughout the day and a bigger meal to make up the calories at night. The problem isn't really the dinner, though; the problem is I'm not getting back home until about 2200, which just doesn't give me a whole lot of time to get anything done. If I train earlier in the day, I'm generally tired enough to pass out pretty quick and stay that way. It's just when I have to get up the next morning.

Another thing that might help are blackout curtains. A good temporary substitute is a piece of black fabric draped strategically over the curtain rod. A fleece throw or a couple of black towels would do the trick. Plus you could take them with you when you move. I understand about wanting to get up earlier most days. These would help on the days when you had a good reason to stay up late and want to catch up on sleep before work.

I've thought about that. The thing holding me back on that is that the room has a blind set up as opposed to a curtain set up. There's no rod to drape them over, and while I could duct tape something up, that stuff can be hard on walls when it's coming off. I don't want to disrespect my parent's place, you know?

I fully own that this is a personal problem with a perfectly passable solution, and I appreciate the help. :) I don't mean to disregard your advice, not at all. As it is, it feels like a situation where I just have to roll with it and make the best of things. Once I get into my own place again, I'll be able to make decisions like that.

GOAL 1: 2/2

GOAL 4: 4/4

Yesterday was a day. Work was uneventful. Went out and practiced one arm swings w/ the 70 and then just barely managed to finish TGUs before a thunderstorm broke over the park. Close one, that. OTOH it was nice to be soaked by the rain for a change as opposed to sweat from 105-degree weather.

Went to the dojo afterward. Practiced double-kicking. Double-kicking is very... technically demanding. You have to have the command of your body to shift in on the first kick, but then also have to shift in on the second as well. Because the other guy reacts, and he'll move on the first one; if you want a reaction to the second, you have to move in again. I tend to hop rather than shift and it's something I really need to work on.

Sparring went well. Since it was just K-sensei and I, we elected to go for a long session. Lots of technical work, and I managed to have a clearer eye toward the problems he was trying to get me to solve. Managed to accidentally a combo - double-kicked low, roundhouse to the leg, tapped past to chamber, then fired a side into him. It went well enough that sensei stopped the bout and asked, "How the hell did you do that?" We dissected the thing and determined that it was good, although like everything I do at this point it needs to be tweaked and refined. But that's the Art in general, right?

Anyway, more things to work on, but good work regardless.

Back's twingey today. Since I re-upped the gym membership to get access to the bag, I have access to the location near work again, so I'm debating between modified S&S w/ a lighter bell or going to practice handstands or SLS. I've hit twice a week w/ the bells; both Pavel and Ferriss agree that I've hit MED for swings, and if I'm promoting healing in my arms, that might be a good place to call it. Speaking of, the arm's doing better. Rest is doing it a world of good and while it's still tighter than the right, I've had only occasional twinges. Good sign. Need to keep this up and stay patient.

Also got around to reading The War of Art. Way better, I think, than The Artist's Way, at least for me. Dude who wrote it served in the USMC and brought that approach as well as his own writerly insights to the concepts of blockages and things like that. Really lit a fire in me, I felt like, and really fit me as both a writer and a martial artist. Of course, just about everyone I've talked to who's read it came away with something, so it's not like it's just me. I do recommend it to everyone.

The writing's going well, too. Lots of scenes, and they all belong with the story I mean to tell. That's an accomplishment I haven't managed since, oh, back in the day when I used to write fanfiction a long time ago.

So the first week's kicking ass so far, and I'm feeling really good. Sleep was a success; I managed to get down early and get up late, and that's a good feeling. I like it. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

I've thought about that. The thing holding me back on that is that the room has a blind set up as opposed to a curtain set up. There's no rod to drape them over, and while I could duct tape something up, that stuff can be hard on walls when it's coming off. I don't want to disrespect my parent's place, you know?

I fully own that this is a personal problem with a perfectly passable solution, and I appreciate the help. :) I don't mean to disregard your advice, not at all. As it is, it feels like a situation where I just have to roll with it and make the best of things. Once I get into my own place again, I'll be able to make decisions like that.

They might look a little wierd, but I've been using a sleep mask like this one, and it's made a huge difference. We have a skylight that we have no way of blocking the sunlight, and sleeping with a mask does make a big difference. Doesn't always stay on all night, but i do notice i sleep better when I use it

• Like 3

On 7/13/2017 at 10:15 AM, chemgeek said:

This was was a huge thing for me. When I moved to the US I always wondered why almost every white person seemed to want to fight me. I think I've been coming to terms with it, but it still occasionally catches me off-guard. (That or they actually do want to fight me. I don't know.)

On 7/14/2017 at 10:23 AM, Kishi said:

Back's twingey today. Since I re-upped the gym membership to get access to the bag, I have access to the location near work again, so I'm debating between modified S&S w/ a lighter bell or going to practice handstands or SLS. I've hit twice a week w/ the bells; both Pavel and Ferriss agree that I've hit MED for swings, and if I'm promoting healing in my arms, that might be a good place to call it. Speaking of, the arm's doing better. Rest is doing it a world of good and while it's still tighter than the right, I've had only occasional twinges. Good sign. Need to keep this up and stay patient.

Are you able to do any kettlebell armbars?

• Like 1

We dissected the thing and determined that it was good, although like everything I do at this point it needs to be tweaked and refined. But that's the Art in general, right?

Tooootally art in general.

I love hearing about all the details of your practice!  Very cool!  Way to do some awesome butt kicking!

if I'm promoting healing in my arms, that might be a good place to call it. Speaking of, the arm's doing better. Rest is doing it a world of good and while it's still tighter than the right, I've had only occasional twinges. Good sign. Need to keep this up and stay patient.

Sounds like you know your body best and what will get your arms back to where you want them.  The occasional twinge sounds much better than what you've been going through in the past.  You know pavel better than I do, so if you on track then you on track.

Also got around to reading The War of Art. Way better, I think, than The Artist's Way, at least for me. Dude who wrote it served in the USMC and brought that approach as well as his own writerly insights to the concepts of blockages and things like that. Really lit a fire in me, I felt like, and really fit me as both a writer and a martial artist. Of course, just about everyone I've talked to who's read it came away with something, so it's not like it's just me. I do recommend it to everyone.

*quietly takes recommendation and scampers off with it*

The writing's going well, too. Lots of scenes, and they all belong with the story I mean to tell.

That's the best! It sounds like all that cutting you did earlier on made room for this awesome word flow you're doing now.  It's great to hear you've been having some success after all your efforts earlier.

So the first week's kicking ass so far, and I'm feeling really good. Sleep was a success; I managed to get down early and get up late, and that's a good feeling. I like it. :)

YEAAAAAA!

tenor.gif

Way to go!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 4:18 PM, Toshimi said:

They might look a little wierd, but I've been using a sleep mask like this one, and it's made a huge difference. We have a skylight that we have no way of blocking the sunlight, and sleeping with a mask does make a big difference. Doesn't always stay on all night, but i do notice i sleep better when I use it

Hm! I'll have to give that a shot at some point, then.

22 hours ago, Machete said:

This was was a huge thing for me. When I moved to the US I always wondered why almost every white person seemed to want to fight me. I think I've been coming to terms with it, but it still occasionally catches me off-guard. (That or they actually do want to fight me. I don't know.)

Well, white people's biggest exports are germs and steel, after all.

Are you able to do any kettlebell armbars?

Um! I think I could! I didn't have a bell light enough to consider it until today, but I do now. What would you have me do?

19 hours ago, Treva said:

Tooootally art in general.

I love hearing about all the details of your practice!  Very cool!  Way to do some awesome butt kicking!

Thanks! I just got a little lucky that night.

Sounds like you know your body best and what will get your arms back to where you want them.  The occasional twinge sounds much better than what you've been going through in the past.  You know pavel better than I do, so if you on track then you on track.

Yeah. It's only been a week, but already I feel so much better. It used to be that little things like lifting a load of laundry or washing pans in the sink would set that off, but that isn't happening anymore.

As for assuming whether or not I'm on track... I mean. I'm kind of off the beaten track, as long as I'm being honest about it. S&S's minimum is 3 times a week, unless you combine it with another in which case you can go as low as twice a week. This from the very back of the manual. I think gymnastic strength training counts.

That's the best! It sounds like all that cutting you did earlier on made room for this awesome word flow you're doing now.  It's great to hear you've been having some success after all your efforts earlier.

Yup. It's pretty great. :)

YEAAAAAA!

tenor.gif

Way to go!

giphy.gif

Well, it turns out that I'm not cleared to work OT yet for financial reasons - mostly having to do with me being cleared w/ HR before I can start making more money. Makes sense.

So I thought I'd do judo, but I triggered my sensei again by liking something on Facebook without considering the full ramifications, and I stayed up late lost in thought and talking with him. Talking and not arguing. Turns out that when you think of argument as a sparring match where the goal is to practice logic rather than to escalate, it's a lot less stressful, even if it takes a lot of time and a lot of thought. Anyway, stayed up too late, got up too late to go to judo. So that's minus one to Saturdays.

I took measurements, and while my body fat's up, my weight's up too much for it to just be body fat. I'm thinking that the body fat's up because I'm not doing heavy TGUs to use up the energy, and I'm no longer quite at maintenance, but I'm not going to touch that for a while. Firstly because I don't know for sure, and secondly because I am advancing other movements and I don't want to chance mucking up the adaptations just because I got skittish about my girlish figure.

Japanese and writing are going well. I felt moved to do more than one scene, and so I did. It was fun, seeing more and more of the story come together. I'm kind of getting this Doug Tennapel weird religion/urban fantasy/Fight Club with magic feel going on, and it's doing something where the extended world is kind of building itself without a lot of work on my part. At least, that's how it feels. Fun for a change.

Need to get up on that cleaning, but otherwise I'm feeling good and feeling better than I have in a while. Now to figure if I want to play CrossCode or to watch Castlevania so I can say I did. It's a good first week.

• Like 2

Okay, I'm late as fuck, but I'm here. :D 

Re: CrossCode--that sounds amazing! On a similar note, I just got a copy of Hyper Light Drifter via the Humble Monthly Bundle, and it appears to be something similar... Nintendo-hard action-adventure Secret-of-Mana style. Oh, and it's just beautiful. There is no dialogue, not even written. It's all pictures and colors and images, and frankly it's downright heartbreaking. I... kind of love it!

Castlevania is also on my list. I hear it's supposed to be pretty decent, so I'll be tuning in once my current watch-binge is over and I'm looking for something new!

• Like 1

@Machete

Yeah a lot of people don't seem to get that Canada is kind of like Australia in that the closer you are with someone generally the less polite and more sarcastic you are. I have excised sarcasm from my professional mannerisms at work b/c it is easier to avoid upsetting an immigrant coworker in the first place than to explain the intricacies of Canadian Affectionate Sarcasm to someone who doesn't understand why I "hate" them.

... which is how I discovered that basically nowhere else does affectionate sarcasm.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Um! I think I could! I didn't have a bell light enough to consider it until today, but I do now. What would you have me do?

Just a few light armbars every day. From what I've seen these seem to work like magic for shoulder issues (provided you do them pain-free).

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

So I thought I'd do judo, but I triggered my sensei again by liking something on Facebook without considering the full ramifications, and I stayed up late lost in thought and talking with him. Talking and not arguing. Turns out that when you think of argument as a sparring match where the goal is to practice logic rather than to escalate, it's a lot less stressful, even if it takes a lot of time and a lot of thought. Anyway, stayed up too late, got up too late to go to judo. So that's minus one to Saturdays.

Haha, I think I saw this. I've been good about staying out of internet discussions for a while (except when I respond with the occasional meme), but when it's someone you care for, or at least like, it's really hard to just ignore and leave alone for some reason. *This is coming from someone who used to spend hours every day responding to internet comments, and the rest of the day obsessing about how I was going to answer said comments (Youtube actually sent me a notification about the traffic one of my videos was getting because of the sheer amount of time I spent answering, and engaging trolls). I mean for the longest time I thought the purpose of social media and internet forums was to point out how I was smarter than everyone else.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, Kishi said:

Sparring went well. Since it was just K-sensei and I, we elected to go for a long session. Lots of technical work, and I managed to have a clearer eye toward the problems he was trying to get me to solve. Managed to accidentally a combo - double-kicked low, roundhouse to the leg, tapped past to chamber, then fired a side into him. It went well enough that sensei stopped the bout and asked, "How the hell did you do that?" We dissected the thing and determined that it was good, although like everything I do at this point it needs to be tweaked and refined. But that's the Art in general, right?

Congrats!!  And yes, it usually is :-D

I will throw in another rec for sleep masks.  The light wakes me up too, and the mask has helped a lot.  The pressure on my eyes is nice too, though YMMV.

9 hours ago, Machete said:

Just a few light armbars every day. From what I've seen these seem to work like magic for shoulder issues (provided you do them pain-free).

Noted.  Good stuff.

11 hours ago, chemgeek said:

@Machete

Yeah a lot of people don't seem to get that Canada is kind of like Australia in that the closer you are with someone generally the less polite and more sarcastic you are. I have excised sarcasm from my professional mannerisms at work b/c it is easier to avoid upsetting an immigrant coworker in the first place than to explain the intricacies of Canadian Affectionate Sarcasm to someone who doesn't understand why I "hate" them.

... which is how I discovered that basically nowhere else does affectionate sarcasm.

Food for thought, that. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Kyellan said:

Re: CrossCode--that sounds amazing! On a similar note, I just got a copy of Hyper Light Drifter via the Humble Monthly Bundle, and it appears to be something similar... Nintendo-hard action-adventure Secret-of-Mana style. Oh, and it's just beautiful. There is no dialogue, not even written. It's all pictures and colors and images, and frankly it's downright heartbreaking. I... kind of love it!

Ooh, I've heard that one's pretty great too. I'll have to add that to the list. Cool!

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Kyellan said:

Castlevania is also on my list. I hear it's supposed to be pretty decent, so I'll be tuning in once my current watch-binge is over and I'm looking for something new!

It was all right! I enjoyed it. I think I like it better as I look back on it, but I do think that the main human villain was rather weakly performed. But that's me.

Cool! I'll give 'em a shot. I've heard that golfer's elbow can have causes further up and down the kinetic chain, so hopefully that'll help.

Haha, I think I saw this. I've been good about staying out of internet discussions for a while (except when I respond with the occasional meme), but when it's someone you care for, or at least like, it's really hard to just ignore and leave alone for some reason.

Yeah! Just, wow. Didn't know something so innocuous could set people off. Funny thing about that whole thing is that the person I borrowed from is from the same general side of things, politically.

But you know, that's just a people thing, I think. We project a lot of ourselves onto the people in our lives and in doing so make assumptions about the kinds of people that they are and what they believe. When there's a break in that, it seems like a natural inclination to... ah, facilitate a better understanding of the other person via argument.

23 hours ago, Machete said:

*This is coming from someone who used to spend hours every day responding to internet comments, and the rest of the day obsessing about how I was going to answer said comments (Youtube actually sent me a notification about the traffic one of my videos was getting because of the sheer amount of time I spent answering, and engaging trolls). I mean for the longest time I thought the purpose of social media and internet forums was to point out how I was smarter than everyone else.

Actually, I suppose I should thank him. In ruminating on the incident, I've come to conclude that at present there's just no point in arguing at all. We live in a world that places a different weight on facts than it used to, and all anyone has to say now is, "I'm sorry, but nothing you say is actually true" and gets to invalidate everything you said without even trying.

Which, I mean, if you wanna dig trenches and fight for fun, okay. It's the internet. But I thought there was a utility in doing so, something to the idea of trying to engage and understand. But if all that happens is that I get beat up for it, then. /shrug

Reckon the next time this happens I'll just type "Okay," and move on.

14 hours ago, Teirin said:

Congrats!!  And yes, it usually is :-D

I will throw in another rec for sleep masks.  The light wakes me up too, and the mask has helped a lot.  The pressure on my eyes is nice too, though YMMV.

Thanks, and thanks!

GOAL 1: -/-

GOAL 4: 0.5/1

Rest day was restful yesterday. Spent the gaming session character building. Have a guy who's trying to 2-time with us from his gaming group that meets on Monday nights, which honestly just looks like a volcano trying to build. It's kind of sad, really - I don't think he's really enjoying his game with them, but he's not willing to cut himself loose, and DM-san doesn't want to deal with a player who brings that degree of logistical complication. Dude got all up in my personal space after as were building, basically just putting himself right over my shoulder the whole time. I wasn't sure if it was right to be annoyed or not, but I was.

Not sure what's going to happen today. Cloudy today w/ rumors of storms, and sensei got the hell stung out of his left hand by a bunch of bees. I dunno if he's going to be up to train tonight or what the situation is. I'm not really worried about getting my swings, since I have the gym membership back, but it's all just kind of up in the air today.

But, NBD. What comes, comes.

• Like 2