Kishi Says Relax

Kishi

27 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Actually, I suppose I should thank him. In ruminating on the incident, I've come to conclude that at present there's just no point in arguing at all. We live in a world that places a different weight on facts than it used to, and all anyone has to say now is, "I'm sorry, but nothing you say is actually true" and gets to invalidate everything you said without even trying.

Which, I mean, if you wanna dig trenches and fight for fun, okay. It's the internet. But I thought there was a utility in doing so, something to the idea of trying to engage and understand. But if all that happens is that I get beat up for it, then. /shrug

Reckon the next time this happens I'll just type "Okay," and move on.

Even if the person you're arguing with isn't going to change their mind, you might be reaching some other readers.  That said, yes, arguing on the internet is generally not the best use of time.  Talking with a friend is though :-) 

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah! Just, wow. Didn't know something so innocuous could set people off. Funny thing about that whole thing is that the person I borrowed from is from the same general side of things, politically.

But you know, that's just a people thing, I think. We project a lot of ourselves onto the people in our lives and in doing so make assumptions about the kinds of people that they are and what they believe. When there's a break in that, it seems like a natural inclination to... ah, facilitate a better understanding of the other person via argument.

Good way of putting it. 

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

15 hours ago, Teirin said:

Even if the person you're arguing with isn't going to change their mind, you might be reaching some other readers.  That said, yes, arguing on the internet is generally not the best use of time.  Talking with a friend is though :-)

I guess? But like you say, it's generally a poor use of time. It didn't help me to do the thing I wanted to do with my Saturday, that's for sure. XD

GOAL 1: 1/1

GOAL 2: -/-

GOAL 3: -/-

GOAL 4: 1.5/2

GOAL 5: -/-

Another day, and more training.

Did my swings yesterday with an eye toward virtuosity rather than trying to grind myself down into the ground. That felt better. Also did the KB arm bars per @Machete's recommendations and they felt pretty great. My elbow afterward was talking to me, but it wasn't pain so much as the sensation of having worked. Kind of like what I'm getting from the pulling work I'm doing these days. I think, going forward, I'll do these instead of the TGUs while I'm on break, since I can practice the things I'm really worried about with this weight - packing the shoulder, and loading/unloading the weight.

Karate happened afterward. Kick-heavy, on account of his hand, but it was good. We kick-sparred afterward. Sensei was able to use my combo on me, but it was cool because I got him back with it too. Which just goes to show that it's a thing. We even gave it a name - Iceberg. Because it doesn't look like it's a big deal... until it is. Also, we clapped feet - sidekick into a roundhouse. It was awful. I loved it. :D

And then, wonder of wonders, I got to spar sensei's wife. Heavily modified rules of course - all I could do was block and move - but it was fun anyway. Different kind of challenge.

Anyway, I'm ambulatory today, but damned if my foot isn't sore. No bruising to speak of, though, that I could see, and I could dash up the steps to work with no trouble. So. Reckon I'm okay.

• Like 3

GOAL 4: 2.5/3

Welp. Wednesday didn't go according to plan. I didn't get out of work late, but I took longer to execute on training than I meant to and I didn't make it to judo again.

This is a scheduling problem, I think. I'm asking myself to do too much on Wednesdays, between work and judo, and I'm using up that time. So, time to adjust. I reckon what I'll do is I'll take the core training and split it up so that I get one move along w/ the other three sessions. That would cut me down to three strength days per week... which, actually, sounds kind of nice at this point.

I suppose I could go even simpler than that and just switch days in terms of what moves go where, but TBH this just feels right. It's probably a holdover from those days when I was trying to hit full body training every single time. But so be it, you know? I can live with this.

Anyway, I tried to make the most of last night by going to the gym w/ the bag, but the whole area was crowded and people were using my bag. Which didn't bother me half as much as the fact that they did so poorly. No technique at all. Nothing but arm, no use of hip at all. I found myself stuck in a corner and it wasn't even enough space to skip rope in. So I did SLS training, KB armbars, and called it a night.

At least one good thing happened - got down to bed early for the second night in a row. This whole "shut off the computer early" thing was the right call to make. I'm plenty unwound by the time I get to bed.

So. Today with karate, tomorrow with kali. Saturday's booked by friends, which I'm excited about but also kind of regretful about, what with that being a judo day. But so be it. Part of this challenge is learning to be okay with not training, with breaking out of the rut of obsession that I have an easy time finding myself in. It's a fun thing to live with, but it's not worth dying for.

Onward!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, I tried to make the most of last night by going to the gym w/ the bag, but the whole area was crowded and people were using my bag. Which didn't bother me half as much as the fact that they did so poorly. No technique at all. Nothing but arm, no use of hip at all. I found myself stuck in a corner and it wasn't even enough space to skip rope in. So I did SLS training, KB armbars, and called it a night.

ohmygawsh noooo this is the worst.  not only are they in your space but they're doing it wrong.  Ugh.  No appreciation for form.  Cannot even.  That's certainly annoying.

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

At least one good thing happened - got down to bed early for the second night in a row. This whole "shut off the computer early" thing was the right call to make. I'm plenty unwound by the time I get to bed.

I'm so glad this is working out for you so far!  Guess all that stuff about turning off your screens for sleep is true. 

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

But so be it. Part of this challenge is learning to be okay with not training, with breaking out of the rut of obsession that I have an easy time finding myself in. It's a fun thing to live with, but it's not worth dying for.

Onward!

That sounds like a really interesting aspect for the challenge.  Obsession is good for motivation, but obsession also made gollum an adorable creepy whatchamacallem so there's that.  Training is most of the time intended to keep you from dying, so not dying in training seems like a reasonable goal.  I'm glad you get to see friends this weekend!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

15 hours ago, Treva said:

ohmygawsh noooo this is the worst.  not only are they in your space but they're doing it wrong.  Ugh.  No appreciation for form.  Cannot even.  That's certainly annoying.

Yeah. Like, I wanted to walk over and teach them a thing or two, but that wouldn't have worked anyway. They'd have taken a look at it, and then broke with it because punching right doesn't feel natural or as good as punching hard.

15 hours ago, Treva said:

I'm so glad this is working out for you so far!  Guess all that stuff about turning off your screens for sleep is true.

Yup! Even if you have the programs to cut out the blue light from the screen, I still struggle because I like to interact with the information. Cutting that off forces me to slow down even more than I am already.

16 hours ago, Treva said:

That sounds like a really interesting aspect for the challenge.  Obsession is good for motivation, but obsession also made gollum an adorable creepy whatchamacallem so there's that.  Training is most of the time intended to keep you from dying, so not dying in training seems like a reasonable goal.  I'm glad you get to see friends this weekend!

Yeah! Judo's something of a cult, so it's expected that any free time you get should be spent on the mat. And I'm kind of creepily obsessed with body recomp anyway, which can lead to an obsession w/ training schedule and dietary schedule and all manner of disordered thinking. I've never crossed that line, thankfully, but looking back at it there have definitely been points in my life where I began to edge up on it. Fortunately, that never wound up happening.

GOAL 4: 3.5/4

So, the plan was to practice doing lots of one-handed swings w/ the 53, since trying to go for higher reps with the 70 hurts my back with that movement. I thought I'd go to the gym, since they had 53s, and it'd be nice to get out of the sun and away from the bugs and such.

What happened was, I got to the gym, and they didn't have the 53s there because the gym didn't actually own them and the person who did left and took them with him. I know. I'mma let that sink in for a second.

Anyway, I didn't want to fight traffic to go to the field, so I rolled with it and did HS practice instead. It's pretty cool, actually. Right now, I'm practicing headstands, and after some practice and 20 seconds of courage, I've become able to do them freestanding as opposed to leaning against the wall. I don't even kick up into them anymore; I just find the balance point and then stand my legs up. It actually requires a lot of full-body tension to hold that position, particularly when you try to lean and you have to press through your hands and arms to get back where you need to be. Also, big jump in the hold times, so I wound up struggling for it and I'll probably be practicing with these times for a while. But that's not a bad thing.

Karate afterward was just me and sensei, so we worked on kicks and body control and keeping my bloody hands up because I tend to lower in an undisciplined and unconscious manner when I'm in close. That won't do.

So today, off to kettlebells, and Kali. Since I'm not training or working tomorrow, the Saturday goal is really about getting to bed early tonight so I can be up in time to do GST tomorrow morning. Should be good times.

• Like 3
On 7/18/2017 at 1:08 PM, Kishi said:

Yeah! Just, wow. Didn't know something so innocuous could set people off. Funny thing about that whole thing is that the person I borrowed from is from the same general side of things, politically.

But you know, that's just a people thing, I think. We project a lot of ourselves onto the people in our lives and in doing so make assumptions about the kinds of people that they are and what they believe. When there's a break in that, it seems like a natural inclination to... ah, facilitate a better understanding of the other person via argument.

Actually, I suppose I should thank him. In ruminating on the incident, I've come to conclude that at present there's just no point in arguing at all. We live in a world that places a different weight on facts than it used to, and all anyone has to say now is, "I'm sorry, but nothing you say is actually true" and gets to invalidate everything you said without even trying.

Which, I mean, if you wanna dig trenches and fight for fun, okay. It's the internet. But I thought there was a utility in doing so, something to the idea of trying to engage and understand. But if all that happens is that I get beat up for it, then. /shrug

Reckon the next time this happens I'll just type "Okay," and move on.

I don't know if anyone's mind has ever been changed on the internet. Usually when someone comments they already have their minds made up. Full Cup. They're just looking for likes from bystanders so they can pat themselves on the back for being so smart and clever. (And by "they," I mean "I." Haha) Although who knows? Advancements in perspective are probably rooted in less-than-civil dialogue that took place over long periods, and given ample processing time for ideas to make sense. I just personally don't have the time for it because I have a tendency to get sucked-in. The same reason I deleted my World of Warcraft account.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:14 AM, Kishi said:

Did my swings yesterday with an eye toward virtuosity rather than trying to grind myself down into the ground. That felt better. Also did the KB arm bars per @Machete's recommendations and they felt pretty great. My elbow afterward was talking to me, but it wasn't pain so much as the sensation of having worked. Kind of like what I'm getting from the pulling work I'm doing these days. I think, going forward, I'll do these instead of the TGUs while I'm on break, since I can practice the things I'm really worried about with this weight - packing the shoulder, and loading/unloading the weight.

Cool stuff. You could also do partial Getups if you want, if you find a step that doesn't hurt. (e.g. just the overhead lunge, to tall sit, etc)

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, I didn't want to fight traffic to go to the field, so I rolled with it and did HS practice instead. It's pretty cool, actually. Right now, I'm practicing headstands, and after some practice and 20 seconds of courage, I've become able to do them freestanding as opposed to leaning against the wall. I don't even kick up into them anymore; I just find the balance point and then stand my legs up. It actually requires a lot of full-body tension to hold that position, particularly when you try to lean and you have to press through your hands and arms to get back where you need to be. Also, big jump in the hold times, so I wound up struggling for it and I'll probably be practicing with these times for a while. But that's not a bad thing.

Those long Headstands are tough, there's almost a meditative element to them especially on those later sets. I think the whole point with those, as well as the long Hollow sets, is to use just enough tension to maintain the position (which I had trouble with, chasing tension and strength).

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Machete said:

I don't know if anyone's mind has ever been changed on the internet. Usually when someone comments they already have their minds made up. Full Cup. They're just looking for likes from bystanders so they can pat themselves on the back for being so smart and clever. (And by "they," I mean "I." Haha) Although who knows? Advancements in perspective are probably rooted in less-than-civil dialogue that took place over long periods, and given ample processing time for ideas to make sense. I just personally don't have the time for it because I have a tendency to get sucked-in. The same reason I deleted my World of Warcraft account.

Yup. I'm guilty of that too. I'm arrogant enough to think that I bring something unique to the table of whatever argument it is I get into. And while getting beaten might drive the dialogue forward somewhat, in the end, I care way more for the instant gratification of being right than the gradual change of strangers I'll never even get to meet.

Cool stuff. You could also do partial Getups if you want, if you find a step that doesn't hurt. (e.g. just the overhead lunge, to tall sit, etc)

Well, the big thing that was hurting the most was actually getting the bell racked into position. During the initial set up, when I was rolling from side to my back and getting the bell on top (as well as unloading after getting back down), I found that I was pulling a lot with my arm rather than with my body. Eventually, one of the tendons in my left arm started to complain; this was back around November when I was wrapping up training for GoRuck and thinking to myself that I wanted to keep rucking as part of my training going forward. So I was doing a lot of loading and unloading and putting weight on my left arm in a sub-optimal way, and ignoring that pain as I'm wont to.

But, doing the movement w/ the 8kg bell allows me to practice racking and unracking the weight, and it doesn't hurt that tendon. If I can practice the very opening and closing movements without pain, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to not practice the rest of a TGU, especially since those other parts didn't do anything to hurt me. Maybe. I think.

Those long Headstands are tough, there's almost a meditative element to them especially on those later sets. I think the whole point with those, as well as the long Hollow sets, is to use just enough tension to maintain the position (which I had trouble with, chasing tension and strength).

Dude, right. Like, I've found that when I get good balance, I have a straight body line that doesn't really require a lot of tension to maintain. It's when I start trying to lean back down again, and I haven't quite made the connection as far as fixing that is concerned. But I take on this hollow shape, and I feel all this tension in my arms and my hands trying to keep myself up. That doesn't feel like a bad thing either, though.

19 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Three guild leaders studying and practicing japanese on Duolingo and we still haven't created a Duolingo Club...

Shame, shame on us all. 

18 hours ago, Machete said:

tenor.gif

Yeah. We should do something about that.

GOAL 1: 2/2

GOAL 4: 4.5/5

So far so good! Managed to find a shady spot away from the small flies to practice S&S. And after realizing what I said to @Machete, I decided to run a Test to see if I "still got it."

Well, as far as swings go, I do. And I can do the whole thing in less than 16 minutes, but I'm leery about the idea of claiming it since I'm doing my get ups with an 8kg bell. But on the other hand, at least they're back in rotation. Typing this morning, my left elbow doesn't feel any different. This is good news, although to be clear this as far as I mean to go as far as lifting from that side is concerned right now. I mean to finish the rest of the challenge working bodyweight and 8kg get ups with an eye toward that left arm, and assuming that things go well and don't get worse, then I might think about adding more weight onto that again. That's a maybe, though. I was dumb enough to persist through the pain for months, after all. Now I have to pay for that, and if I only have to take a month, it'll be a matter of just profound fortune.

Did kali last night. I'm progressing really quickly there, actually. The first night I went w/ manong, one of his other students showed up and did a bunch of cool things. Manong tells me it took him a year to get there, or that it takes most people a year to get there. I got there in about a month and a half, and not even a full month and a half. Not gonna lie, it's really hard not to feel smug about that. But if I'm honest about it, it's more that he's a good teacher than that I'm a good student. I don't do my own practice anywhere near enough to justify the credit.

Ran measurements today and I'm about where I was 6 weeks ago. I think it's fair enough to revisit my numbers and maybe make a small adjustment downward. Nothing dramatic - I refuse to go below 2000 calories again. That's just stupid on the amount of work I do. But even with the nutrition course doing its thing, I think it's fair to say that I've hit a point where the changes that they insist on - drinking x oz of water, eating breakfast, eating more veggies - are being offset by the physics of how much energy I'm consuming. It's probably worth pointing out as well that I'm really only obeying the letter of the law in a lot of cases because I just don't have the time to cook bags of vegetables anymore and I'm really just taking what I can as I can. But, this was a problem even when I was eating tons of veggies, so I'm not really convinced it's a worthy thing to stress over.

Anyway. Got up early today, but need to go train if I'm going to count a success for the goal. Catch y'all later!

• Like 4

GOAL 1: 2/2

GOAL 2: 1/1

GOAL 3: 1/1

GOAL 4: 5/6

GOAL 5: 1/1

Aaaaaaand, nailed my Saturday goal!

tenor.gif

I managed to do my GB upper body training and then get cleaned up enough to be presentable. Went out to the thing on Saturday - a bachelor party for a friend of mine. We wound up playing a different gaem but one that I really truly enjoyed: Talisman. What is Talisman? Basically, it's D&D the Boardgame as done by the folks at Games Workshop. Loads of fun. I got my ass kicked by both the game and the other players, but I had so much fun that I didn't even care. I've linked the digital version of it because, believe it or not, it's a multiplayer game that you can do with real living people, even in the digital version. Y'all should definitely check this out, and then maybe we can all play together some time.

I mean, you know, if you want to.

After that, we went out to dinner and took in some standup. It was a strong show - the middle guy I thought was kind of weak although he closed his act really well and the main talent freaking slayed. Afterward, we went to Boxcar, one of the local barcades. That was kind of special for me, actually. Back in the days when I drove for Uber/Lyft, I used to be on the outside of that place looking in. I would drop people off there and pick them up from there too, but I never got the chance to actually go inside and visit. It drove me nuts, and I told myself that one day, when I'd kind of made it, I'd be on the other side.

So to actually go in there and be able to do things... that was pretty special to me. And to do it with a bunch of cool dudes whose company I enjoyed just made it all the better.

I got paid a compliment which made me really thoughtful, too. Hidden for theological ramblings.

Spoiler

The bachelor in question is someone whom I get along with and yet am not terribly close too. We don't tend to see each other outside of gaming context, but we do talk from time to time, and we have got to know each other a bit. He knows I'm a Christian, I know he's an atheist.

We all got drunk last night, he roaringly so, and he's a cool dude even then. But alcohol does have a tendency to unmask people, or to exaggerate thoughts/tendencies/feelings that a person carries with them already. So, last night, we're sitting outside, working on keeping the buzz alive, and the dude was apparently talking to one of the other dudes who's apparently agnostic. He mentioned something about respecting people who were "off the fence," so to speak, and then he turns and looks at me and he's like, "Like. Take [Kishi], for instance. He's a Christian. And. And he's cool. Because he doesn't get in your face about it. And he doesn't jam it down your throat."

And I was like, "Dude, you. You saying that now? I really appreciate that. And I'mma still pray for your soul if you want." And he laughed and we kept on going.

But it touched on an observation that I've made repeatedly to myself as I've got older. Living in the South like I do, we're really big on spiritual ostentation. Big displays of piety and trying to give glory to God and such like that. The thing is, though, it reminds me a lot of Matt. 6:5-8. It seems more to me like people trying to manufacture a certain psychological state, to convince themselves that things are a certain way and to try to gain social capital with other people who share that community.

So, most religion bothers me. I have one coworker who insists on saying grace in public, and that bothers me. And I have friends who really theologically rigid, and that bothers me. And I feel like by being different than that, by being true to what I believe a Christian should be, that I earn the privilege to speak life to people sometimes and to fulfill the command to spread the word and make much of my King.

But at the same time, it kind of makes me worry that I'm neutered in some ways too. Since no one way of doing things seems to make any difference, I wonder if what I'm doing is just compromising myself in the name of making nice with people.

I don't think I am. I think that at the end of the day I care more for God's unearned approval than for the earned approval of the people around me. But at the same time, my actions and decisions have consequences, and I do wonder if they're the right ones. Of course, not that that matters either; nothing I do goes outside of God's power to use or correct and thinking like that is just a form of arrogance.

It's just... that feeling of not really belonging to a tribe. I wonder sometimes if the decisions I made were simply compromises to keep from doing the hard right thing as opposed to just getting along with people.

Anyway, that was last night. Did some cleaning today - got rid of a bunch of old food in the fridge, which I'mma take credit for because I hate throwing out food. Feels like a failure to use, which I don't like to confront in myself.

Today on the docket... probably going to be pretty chill. I need to get laundry done, make some orders, and probably need to get to the gym today to keep working on stuff.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Hide contents

So, most religion bothers me. I have one coworker who insists on saying grace in public, and that bothers me. And I have friends who really theologically rigid, and that bothers me. And I feel like by being different than that, by being true to what I believe a Christian should be, that I earn the privilege to speak life to people sometimes and to fulfill the command to spread the word and make much of my King.

But at the same time, it kind of makes me worry that I'm neutered in some ways too. Since no one way of doing things seems to make any difference, I wonder if what I'm doing is just compromising myself in the name of making nice with people.

I don't think I am. I think that at the end of the day I care more for God's unearned approval than for the earned approval of the people around me. But at the same time, my actions and decisions have consequences, and I do wonder if they're the right ones. Of course, not that that matters either; nothing I do goes outside of God's power to use or correct and thinking like that is just a form of arrogance.

It's just... that feeling of not really belonging to a tribe. I wonder sometimes if the decisions I made were simply compromises to keep from doing the hard right thing as opposed to just getting along with people.

Hidden for narcissistic ramblings. Also, politics and religion.

Spoiler

(Before everything, North Carolina is considered The South? :))

I like this. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm an asshole for being a so-called "agnostic" (I don't even like labeling it, but I guess that's what it is), probably because of the prominence these days of Atheists who like to force their religion on other people. Like I joke about me probably going to hell (but life is already hell so it'll probably just be much longer), and the wife sometimes gets pissed as she's Christian (though not as Christian as I first thought, but hopefully not because of me), but I'm not committing blasphemy on purpose, I just honestly, with the best of intentions, don't know.

I kind of envy some people's capacity for faith. I've been set up for religion since I was young, growing-up in an extremely Catholic country and going to Catholic school, and also having my dad's family be really Christian (we skipped meat on Fridays and we actively gave food to the needy). I honestly did not know the difference between all the Christian sects until maybe late high school, and didn't really see it in action until I had to pick a religion in the Army and we were given several options which separate service we wanted to attend.

Circling back into fitness, I'm all about people following systems, and if they don't have faith in the system they're following it probably won't work. I'd wager if more people started blindly following Starting Strength we would have a lot more stronger people than we currently do. How I see it religions are systems for life, and in a system adherence and consistency are paramount; that's why faith is usually emphasized. But I'm that guy questioning everything (as seen in my experiments in program hopping and blending) and I can't help it. I'll taste almost anyone's Kool-Aid, but I never fill up because I always leave room for others' Kool-Aids/Kools-Aid because it might be good as well. This was evident in my first year here guild-jumping.

That's probably why I rarely have had a tribe--there's always something stopping me from going all-in somewhere. That's probably also why I can't vote.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Machete said:

Hidden for narcissistic ramblings. Also, politics and religion.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Machete said:

(Before everything, North Carolina is considered The South? :))

I mean, that's what the Yankees say when they move down here, so I guess?

3 hours ago, Machete said:

I like this. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm an asshole for being a so-called "agnostic" (I don't even like labeling it, but I guess that's what it is), probably because of the prominence these days of Atheists who like to force their religion on other people. Like I joke about me probably going to hell (but life is already hell so it'll probably just be much longer), and the wife sometimes gets pissed as she's Christian (though not as Christian as I first thought, but hopefully not because of me), but I'm not committing blasphemy on purpose, I just honestly, with the best of intentions, don't know.

Nah, man. I think that, intellectually, it's probably the most honest way to be. Faith isn't sight after all. I wouldn't say I knew what was out there either, or if anything is.

3 hours ago, Machete said:

I kind of envy some people's capacity for faith. I've been set up for religion since I was young, growing-up in an extremely Catholic country and going to Catholic school, and also having my dad's family be really Christian (we skipped meat on Fridays and we actively gave food to the needy). I honestly did not know the difference between all the Christian sects until maybe late high school, and didn't really see it in action until I had to pick a religion in the Army and we were given several options which separate service we wanted to attend.

Yeah. Manong is like that too. He's apparently a pastor's kid. I think he's trying to figure out if he can make religious jokes with me or not. I've tried to inform him that he could... I suppose it'll be a matter of time as to whether that takes or not. After all, man is never so comical as when he takes himself too seriously. :D

4 hours ago, Machete said:

Circling back into fitness, I'm all about people following systems, and if they don't have faith in the system they're following it probably won't work. I'd wager if more people started blindly following Starting Strength we would have a lot more stronger people than we currently do. How I see it religions are systems for life, and in a system adherence and consistency are paramount; that's why faith is usually emphasized. But I'm that guy questioning everything (as seen in my experiments in program hopping and blending) and I can't help it. I'll taste almost anyone's Kool-Aid, but I never fill up because I always leave room for others' Kool-Aids/Kools-Aid because it might be good as well. This was evident in my first year here guild-jumping.

There's probably a lot of truth in that. Religion does tend to function as a code for a lot of people (although the splinters of it that you mentioned earlier happen when people emphasize one aspect over the other. Kind of like lifting). I think probably where it gets weird is when you start to see things that you don't like. If you're in SS, for instance, you might get stronger, but if you're like me and associate getting stronger with LGN and see a growing paunch that can shake you up. Make you question whether that's a thing you want. Religion tends to be the same way, only it plays around with the kinds of food you can eat and the kinds of people you can associate with and the kinds of behaviors you practice.

Like, if I'm honest about it, I find a lot of attractive things in Hinduism and Islam, but looking at the news, 1) the grass isn't greener on their side of the theological fence and 2) they have more than two rules, and that's too many for my understanding of how God works.

Still, given how rigid it tends to be, I could see how you would have a hard time sticking.

4 hours ago, Machete said:

That's probably why I rarely have had a tribe--there's always something stopping me from going all-in somewhere. That's probably also why I can't vote.

Oh, I'll vote. It's just never the right one. ^_^;

SHORT UPDATE BECAUSE OMGZ I IZ A HURRIED

Did core work again yesterday on top of the running. Someone stole my bag again. And also I was too late in the day.

Got my folks to watch GoTG. My mom dug it more than my dad. I was really surprised by that, although if father had been awake, maybe he would have got it too. But he remembers liking the music. I'll take that.

Studied Japanese, didn't write scene. Story's getting more... complicated. It picked up a tournament arc because I'm apparently writing a vampire romance shonen anime now and there's always a tournament arc. I have the cards (a growing stack) by the computer and even if I'm not writing, I am thinking on the story a lot, and that's good.

Not much to speak of beyond that. Today's a rest day. Did ground beef and almonds for breakfast and oh my God you guys that is the breakfast of kings. Felt full and focused for hours...

so one more thing to batch cook. XD

• Like 2
On 7/22/2017 at 9:53 AM, Kishi said:

Well, as far as swings go, I do. And I can do the whole thing in less than 16 minutes, but I'm leery about the idea of claiming it since I'm doing my get ups with an 8kg bell. But on the other hand, at least they're back in rotation. Typing this morning, my left elbow doesn't feel any different. This is good news, although to be clear this as far as I mean to go as far as lifting from that side is concerned right now. I mean to finish the rest of the challenge working bodyweight and 8kg get ups with an eye toward that left arm, and assuming that things go well and don't get worse, then I might think about adding more weight onto that again. That's a maybe, though. I was dumb enough to persist through the pain for months, after all. Now I have to pay for that, and if I only have to take a month, it'll be a matter of just profound fortune.

Good that you can work on the tendons in your arms with the 8kg bell. It makes sense to go through the whole set of motions with the light bell while you are recovering. Your form should be amazing, right? ;) 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:53 AM, Kishi said:

Did kali last night. I'm progressing really quickly there, actually. The first night I went w/ manong, one of his other students showed up and did a bunch of cool things. Manong tells me it took him a year to get there, or that it takes most people a year to get there. I got there in about a month and a half, and not even a full month and a half. Not gonna lie, it's really hard not to feel smug about that. But if I'm honest about it, it's more that he's a good teacher than that I'm a good student. I don't do my own practice anywhere near enough to justify the credit.

Hey, enjoy the gains when you get them. You may be new to kali, but you are not new to martial arts. A lot of how-to-learn-by-observation carries over between arts. That is one of the difficult things for new students. They just don't know how to watch and remember a complex movement. Plus you have been training movement rather than isolation exercises. That gives you better body control than the average newbie.

On 7/23/2017 at 3:53 PM, Kishi said:

I managed to do my GB upper body training and then get cleaned up enough to be presentable. Went out to the thing on Saturday - a bachelor party for a friend of mine. We wound up playing a different gaem but one that I really truly enjoyed: Talisman. What is Talisman? Basically, it's D&D the Boardgame as done by the folks at Games Workshop. Loads of fun. I got my ass kicked by both the game and the other players, but I had so much fun that I didn't even care. I've linked the digital version of it because, believe it or not, it's a multiplayer game that you can do with real living people, even in the digital version. Y'all should definitely check this out, and then maybe we can all play together some time.

I mean, you know, if you want to.

Yes, that would be fun. I've played the tabletop version once - with all the additions. It takes hours. Maybe the digital version would make the game mechanics a little easier.

So to actually go in there and be able to do things... that was pretty special to me. And to do it with a bunch of cool dudes whose company I enjoyed just made it all the better.

Yay!!!!!!!

I got paid a compliment which made me really thoughtful, too. Hidden for theological ramblings.

My take on this is that you are getting credit for being respectful. Regardless of what someone believes, they appreciate being treated with respect. You are far more likely to convince someone that your belief system has merit by quietly showing the good side. Many people will be resistant to something that is pushed on them, even if they might otherwise have been receptive. I think you are staying on the right side of that line.

Anyway, that was last night. Did some cleaning today - got rid of a bunch of old food in the fridge, which I'mma take credit for because I hate throwing out food. Feels like a failure to use, which I don't like to confront in myself.

You totally get to take credit for dreaded task completion. I hear you on hating to waste food. Having spoiled food in the fridge is a hazard AND it lulls you into thinking that you don't need to cook or buy groceries right away. There is no good side to keeping it around. Same for unsuccessful recipes. Yeah, it may be edible. So is raw oatmeal. Just throw it out and use it as a learning experience.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

Studied Japanese, didn't write scene. Story's getting more... complicated. It picked up a tournament arc because I'm apparently writing a vampire romance shonen anime now and there's always a tournament arc. I have the cards (a growing stack) by the computer and even if I'm not writing, I am thinking on the story a lot, and that's good.

Not much to speak of beyond that. Today's a rest day. Did ground beef and almonds for breakfast and oh my God you guys that is the breakfast of kings. Felt full and focused for hours...

Yay for writing progress!

What is this ground beef and almonds you speak of? Share please!

• Like 1

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good that you can work on the tendons in your arms with the 8kg bell. It makes sense to go through the whole set of motions with the light bell while you are recovering. Your form should be amazing, right? ;) 

Gosh, by now I hope so. :D So far, it's been pretty good. Straight wrist, perfect control, and proper loading.

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Hey, enjoy the gains when you get them. You may be new to kali, but you are not new to martial arts. A lot of how-to-learn-by-observation carries over between arts. That is one of the difficult things for new students. They just don't know how to watch and remember a complex movement. Plus you have been training movement rather than isolation exercises. That gives you better body control than the average newbie.

Mm, that's true. The longer I've gone on doing this, the easier it's gotten for me to keep up with the movements that I'm shown. Even when they look weird.

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yes, that would be fun. I've played the tabletop version once - with all the additions. It takes hours. Maybe the digital version would make the game mechanics a little easier.

Allegedly so! The guy whom I played this with said that the digital version is a lot faster than the regular version - roughly an hour to play as opposed to going through for hours and hours. I'll have to make a playthrough myself before I can confirm, but it does sound promising.

My take on this is that you are getting credit for being respectful. Regardless of what someone believes, they appreciate being treated with respect. You are far more likely to convince someone that your belief system has merit by quietly showing the good side. Many people will be resistant to something that is pushed on them, even if they might otherwise have been receptive. I think you are staying on the right side of that line.

Now, see, that's an idea that doesn't occur to me, mostly because being respectful is just something that I do. That so many of us aren't or don't, least around here... hm. Bothersome. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

You totally get to take credit for dreaded task completion. I hear you on hating to waste food. Having spoiled food in the fridge is a hazard AND it lulls you into thinking that you don't need to cook or buy groceries right away. There is no good side to keeping it around. Same for unsuccessful recipes. Yeah, it may be edible. So is raw oatmeal. Just throw it out and use it as a learning experience.

I try to! The trick is, I have a lot of people trying to feed me. If it's not my personal training clients trying to do that, it's my parents, and if it's not my parents it's people at work. So I wind up with all this food I mean to eat that just... doesn't get eaten.

20 hours ago, Mistr said:

What is this ground beef and almonds you speak of? Share please!

Oh, I wish it was something impressive. I had ground beef lying around after omelets this weekend and I thought, Hm, awful shame for that stuff to sit around and get old all week. So I poured a cup into a bowl for breakfast and had some almonds as well. It was super tasty, even cold, and the idea of eating meat and nuts of any kind for breakfast is championed by Charles Poliquin (Strength Sensei) for its ability to stabilize blood sugar, keep insulin low, and promote the formation of certain neurotransmitters.

This is an idea I originally played around with at @RisenPhoenix's place back when we did the GoRuck, but I'd not had the opportunity or the impetus to continue the experiment until I began eating breakfast again. This morning was ground turkey and cashews, and I don't know if it's just placebo or what but I feel really good with this in my belly. :D

You know, it's kind of confusing to keep up with the numbers this time around because everything is so infrequent. I can remember the goals in my head well enough at this point, but it is weird.

Swings and get ups yesterday, followed by karate. Managed a good hit with Iceberg, but I still need to work on throwing more things after. Got rocked by a throw, though, and my back's hurting for that a bit today. It's muscular rather than spinal, which is good news, but it's the principle of the thing.

Wrote and studied. Duolingo has replaced most of my games on my phone because I don't have time for those others and it's scratching my itch pretty well. The lone exception to this Fate/Grand Order, a phone game that takes place in the Nasuverse and pulls characters from the various Fate anime. Personally, I find the series fascinating, in particular its magic systems and its interpretations of historical personages. It's fun to be able to play with the characters.

Beyond that, though, everything's pretty chill. Now to see if I can find my way back to judo again. I'm electing to take Friday night to go see Dunkirk with the folks, because it's quality time watching World War II film by Christopher Nolan. That's like three different kinds of awesome right there.

Saturday has plans for the night, but not for the day, so hopefully I'll be able to get up early and get to Judo. Judo on Saturdays actually represents a tall order because it's a 3 hour open mat followed by 2 hours of whatever it is you do when you get all the belts together. It would about double the total amount of time I spent on the mat, which is good training... but it's still a hell of a lot of time to think of. It's actually a little intimidating.

But that's where the randori is, and if I want to get better, that's where I have to go. Eventually. First focus on getting up early enough on Saturdays. Which is getting closer to happening.

• Like 4
On 7/24/2017 at 5:03 PM, Kishi said:

Hide contents

I mean, that's what the Yankees say when they move down here, so I guess?

Nah, man. I think that, intellectually, it's probably the most honest way to be. Faith isn't sight after all. I wouldn't say I knew what was out there either, or if anything is.

Yeah. Manong is like that too. He's apparently a pastor's kid. I think he's trying to figure out if he can make religious jokes with me or not. I've tried to inform him that he could... I suppose it'll be a matter of time as to whether that takes or not. After all, man is never so comical as when he takes himself too seriously. :D

There's probably a lot of truth in that. Religion does tend to function as a code for a lot of people (although the splinters of it that you mentioned earlier happen when people emphasize one aspect over the other. Kind of like lifting). I think probably where it gets weird is when you start to see things that you don't like. If you're in SS, for instance, you might get stronger, but if you're like me and associate getting stronger with LGN and see a growing paunch that can shake you up. Make you question whether that's a thing you want. Religion tends to be the same way, only it plays around with the kinds of food you can eat and the kinds of people you can associate with and the kinds of behaviors you practice.

Like, if I'm honest about it, I find a lot of attractive things in Hinduism and Islam, but looking at the news, 1) the grass isn't greener on their side of the theological fence and 2) they have more than two rules, and that's too many for my understanding of how God works.

Still, given how rigid it tends to be, I could see how you would have a hard time sticking.

Oh, I'll vote. It's just never the right one. ^_^;

Spoiler

I don't think anyone voted for the right one.

14925343_10153883813731965_6883046972639

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

This is an idea I originally played around with at @RisenPhoenix's place back when we did the GoRuck, but I'd not had the opportunity or the impetus to continue the experiment until I began eating breakfast again. This morning was ground turkey and cashews, and I don't know if it's just placebo or what but I feel really good with this in my belly. :D

And I still look at you as being a crazy person for doing this.

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 2017-07-25 at 2:39 PM, Mistr said:

Really, really this. 

On 2017-07-25 at 2:39 PM, Mistr said:

Cross training beenfits :-)

6 hours ago, Kishi said:

Oh, I wish it was something impressive. I had ground beef lying around after omelets this weekend and I thought, Hm, awful shame for that stuff to sit around and get old all week. So I poured a cup into a bowl for breakfast and had some almonds as well. It was super tasty, even cold, and the idea of eating meat and nuts of any kind for breakfast is championed by Charles Poliquin (Strength Sensei) for its ability to stabilize blood sugar, keep insulin low, and promote the formation of certain neurotransmitters.

That sounds amazing to me.  I may need to try it.

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

19 hours ago, Machete said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

HE WAS TOO GOOD FOR THIS WORLD

19 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

And I still look at you as being a crazy person for doing this.

Oh hush, you. It's like cereal. Cereal made out of meat. With nut marshmallows. Maybe if I poured some low carb Paleo gravy over it as a milk or something... and then I could cook it in a mug...

Cross training beenfits :-)

I mean, I'll take them. I'm trying to approach it as a different set of rules for a different range of combat, but even so there is a lot of crossover between the three arts that I can use.

That sounds amazing to me.  I may need to try it.

Definitely do! It'd probably be better as a hot breakfast; I've been doing cold the past few days because I get up too late, but it wouldn't be difficult to reheat once it's been cooked. Either way, it's really tasty.

Didn't make judo last night. I was willing to believe that the legwork I was doing would be short enough that I could make part of the trip, do my work at the gym, and then get to judo afterward.

The good news is that the leg work is that fast. The bad news is that the routes I have to the gym are clogged with traffic, and the backroads I took to get around that are closed for work. I didn't miss by much, and I probably could have walked in late, but being late is one of those things that drives me nuts when it comes to martial arts and I built it up in my head as me being disrespectful.

I wound up going to the other gym and waiting for it to clear out some so I could hit the bag. Did some skill work on it, which I needed, but left me feeling unsatisfied.

So, whether I like it or not, on Wednesdays I need to do my work at the office. There's just no way around this. It'll be a long time before I need to consider the idea of weighted work, and there's no need to go and complicate things until then.

Studied and wrote. As I do. It's annoying - almost everything goes right except for Wednesdays, and I don't know if it's just me or what that situation is.

Anyway. Live, learn, and hopefully don't repeat.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Didn't make judo last night. I was willing to believe that the legwork I was doing would be short enough that I could make part of the trip, do my work at the gym, and then get to judo afterward.

The good news is that the leg work is that fast. The bad news is that the routes I have to the gym are clogged with traffic, and the backroads I took to get around that are closed for work. I didn't miss by much, and I probably could have walked in late, but being late is one of those things that drives me nuts when it comes to martial arts and I built it up in my head as me being disrespectful.

This is one of those martial arts things that on one level makes sense and on another.....really doesn't. Being late alllllllll the time is obviously a lifestyle conflict and if late enough, will damage your potential to improve, not to mention your relationship with Sensei and class. It is rude to be always, always late every time regardless of the venue, so I totally get your feeling. 

But...like, stuff happens. There are roads and things between you and the dojo. Some people have children, husbands, demanding jobs, or other things beyond their control and as such making it to the dojo regularly is an act of self-improvement heroism. If someone often attends class, it's obviously not an issue of priority...as someone with only highways/interstates as a realistic means of making it to the correct side of town in time, this is an issue. Work > shower > food > dojo with not much leeway in between. Luckily my Sensei works with families with small children and understands this. 

• Like 8

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 7/27/2017 at 9:43 AM, Urgan said:

This is one of those martial arts things that on one level makes sense and on another.....really doesn't. Being late alllllllll the time is obviously a lifestyle conflict and if late enough, will damage your potential to improve, not to mention your relationship with Sensei and class. It is rude to be always, always late every time regardless of the venue, so I totally get your feeling. 

But...like, stuff happens. There are roads and things between you and the dojo. Some people have children, husbands, demanding jobs, or other things beyond their control and as such making it to the dojo regularly is an act of self-improvement heroism. If someone often attends class, it's obviously not an issue of priority...as someone with only highways/interstates as a realistic means of making it to the correct side of town in time, this is an issue. Work > shower > food > dojo with not much leeway in between. Luckily my Sensei works with families with small children and understands this. 

^This

My grand-Sensei was apparently a bit of a stickler for people being late early on, and then softened his stance.  I had another instructor say that if someone came late to class, they SHOULD be allowed on the mat, because they probably knew they were late, and still wanted to train even with the shorter time frame.

But yea, consistently late is something else entirely.  We had one guy *cough*Big Goober*cough* who would constantly show up 20-30 minutes late.  And on double class days he'd show up 40 minutes late, and then try to count the 20 minutes on the mat in the first class as a full hour.  Yup.  We had to nip that in the bud.

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Urgan said:

Yeah! I definitely get that. I just think that I probably fall more under a lifestyle conflict rather than being a hero, simply because I keep spending free time on strength work rather than martial arts, and trying to balance the two, at least on Wednesday nights, is a very exact, precise thing that I haven't been taking care of.

I'm no hero. I don't even play one on TV. But I suppose I could talk to sensei about it and ask for a dispensation. He's understanding about that kind of thing with many of the other students in class... maybe he'd be so for me too. (admittedly, the others are late because they're doing other martial arts, so that probably predisposes him toward sympathy, but).

4 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

But yea, consistently late is something else entirely.  We had one guy *cough*Big Goober*cough* who would constantly show up 20-30 minutes late.  And on double class days he'd show up 40 minutes late, and then try to count the 20 minutes on the mat in the first class as a full hour.  Yup.  We had to nip that in the bud.

Well, while I wouldn't go so far as to try to claim time I didn't spend, I do feel like presently I have more in common w/ BG as someone who would constantly show up late. It's still disrespectful.

Yesterday was a day.

Went to the gym and cranked out my HS training. It's getting better, but still need to stay where I am. I'm presently training close to a wall so that if I fall backward, I can prop myself back out and keep practicing to get to freestanding, and I think that's proving very helpful. This difference was highlighted to me when I saw a young lady pop a headstand and then fell backward w/o bailing out. It looked awful. As someone who's done that, I can relate.

Karate afterward was good. Started playing around with rhythm and timing, something that I struggle with a lot. I made a good intellectual breakthrough in my understanding, but it hasn't translated into technique yet... but this particular thing takes a while anyway, so I'm not really all that concerned.

I got to bed relatively early last night, but woke up kind of vertiginous. As in, got up out of bed and immediately fell back onto it. It's gotten better as the day has gone on, like I'm not noticing symptoms unless I really focus and notice that my head doesn't feel quite right, but between that and the crunch time to get home in time to join the folks for the movie tonight, I'm thinking about taking the night off. Might have to dig into something nasty, brutish, and short instead of kettlebells.

Also, today I had to host our Wing Day celebration (it's National Wings Day tomorrow). Went off mostly without a hitch! There was a minor collapse of one of the boxes of food, but beyond that, everyone walked away full. Can't ask for anything better than that.

Oh, also, managed to study and write yesterday. Forgot to mention that.

• Like 4
On 7/27/2017 at 9:30 AM, Kishi said:

On 7/27/2017 at 9:43 AM, Urgan said:

On 7/28/2017 at 11:29 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

My grand-Sensei was apparently a bit of a stickler for people being late early on, and then softened his stance.  I had another instructor say that if someone came late to class, they SHOULD be allowed on the mat, because they probably knew they were late, and still wanted to train even with the shorter time frame.

I am that guy. There came a point when I stopped making excuses, because that's just a part of who I am and they now know it. Though sometimes I'm late on purpose in an attempt to skip the warm-up. It never works. Fortunately we operate on "Brazilian Time" at the BJJ sessions I attend, which has like a 20-40 minute soft time. Might be that surfer mentality. Works for me, unless our redneck brown belt is teaching; then he smashes me extra-hard for being late. Made me tougher I guess. I don't know, I've been put to sleep like 8 times already over there.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:09 PM, Kishi said:

Went to the gym and cranked out my HS training. It's getting better, but still need to stay where I am. I'm presently training close to a wall so that if I fall backward, I can prop myself back out and keep practicing to get to freestanding, and I think that's proving very helpful. This difference was highlighted to me when I saw a young lady pop a headstand and then fell backward w/o bailing out. It looked awful. As someone who's done that, I can relate.

Where are you on HS now?

By the way, that backward bailout has a lot of carryover for Forward Rolls in Tumbling. Though I have seen (and felt) some nasty flat-back falls.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Machete said:

I am that guy. There came a point when I stopped making excuses, because that's just a part of who I am and they now know it. Though sometimes I'm late on purpose in an attempt to skip the warm-up. It never works. Fortunately we operate on "Brazilian Time" at the BJJ sessions I attend, which has like a 20-40 minute soft time. Might be that surfer mentality. Works for me, unless our redneck brown belt is teaching; then he smashes me extra-hard for being late. Made me tougher I guess. I don't know, I've been put to sleep like 8 times already over there.

Geez, that sucks. And you know, we actually operate on a very similar soft-open kind of schedule like that. Still, it doesn't feel right especially as a white belt to just waltz in 20 minutes late, or even 2 minutes late, not when I haven't built up time with this sensei for him to know me.

Where are you on HS now?

HSPE2, presently at 3x24s. I can do the holds, but I thought in the interest of tracking this along the lines that Sommers presents that I should wait to progress until I can hit all three stands for time without collapse or anything like that. To me, that seems to be the definition of "easy."

By the way, that backward bailout has a lot of carryover for Forward Rolls in Tumbling. Though I have seen (and felt) some nasty flat-back falls.

Mhm, I imagine it does. When I first learned to handstand against the wall, I had to know how to bail out, and I've had to use forward rolls in the past to do that. I'm just nervous about having to do that on a hard floor. And also, it seems to me to be a way to hack the practice, so that if I fail backwards, I can reset myself and go for time again.

Okay, let's catch things up.

Friday was uneventful for training. No time between commute and going to the cinema. Dunkirk was a good film, though. A very unusually done war-thriller, but if you're a fan of Nolan or war-thrillers you'll get something out of this. Also, didn't know that Bane could fly a plane. :D

With the thing I was going to Saturday night, I decided to go for broke on the training at the gym. Did my upper body training. Was hoping to get on the bag except it was taken. Again. By someone who was taking generous breaks with the use of a cellphone. She had all her shit there, though, so I didn't think I could just up and ask to work in. Instead, I went for broke - flipped the crazy switch and did 200 swings with a 53 and followed with 10 TGUs at 22 lbs. In hindsight, I probably could have gone smaller, but something about those bells didn't look right to me and I got fixated instead on using the one kind that was classically shaped. Foolish, but OTOH it didn't hurt my elbow, and it's not hurting today either.

Lucked out on that one.

Went out afterward to do Karaoke at a Korean-style joint. It was a big group that night and we were pretty much just passing the mic around. I got mine without getting to pick the song and got Aerosmith's Dream On, and proceeded to shred my vocal cords on those last shrieks. It was hilarious. Couldn't hit those last notes for nothing. :D

Anyway, I'm self-caring it up today, what with my people-circuits being kind of fried. Today it's just gym, batch cooking, and peace and quiet.

• Like 3

Self-care was the right move. I have a whole bag of chicken breasts cooked and have more meat for breakfast ready to go.

GB core work was good last night. I've managed to hit advancement standards for the front lever, and I was able to reincorporate weights into my side lever progression. No pain in my lower back. Afterward, I was able to go put in some quality time with the bag before running like it was for my life.

I did my studies but didn't write. I need to get back on that. The story's trying to change a little bit and I don't know if it's the right direction or not. It changes one of the characters I didn't want to change if so, or alternately necessitates a new character which I'm not sure I have room for. So it's definitely on my mind, this problem, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Come to think of it, there's another problem to solve too because of a character shift. Phaw.

Anyway, rest day today. Get to take it easy for a bit... but don't really feel like I need to. And the elbow still doesn't hurt. Good signs.

• Like 2

So, let's catch up, shall we?

Monday was rest day. Rest day is best day. In the next chapter of Days of Our Dice, that poor kid who's been trying to get into our table was finally allowed in by DM-san. I have my misgivings as he decided to create a bisexual female character and make her as pretty as he could, which would have been one thing if he'd let the dice do it. (in hardcore 80's D&D, you let the dice do the building). The fact that he went out of his way to make this happen sparks my suspicions of an unsavoriness in his play style and what he wants to do.

Still, he hasn't done it yet, so can't really be too up in arms about it. Besides, the kid also rolled hirsutism as a medical condition and the DM wouldn't let him back out of it. So maybe the whole thing will be played for laughs. Or maybe nothing will happen. I've been wrong before.

Tuesday I went and played with the bells. Tried out a few Pitcher Curls with the 8kg, which I probably didn't need to do but hasn't hurt anything yet. I'm also finding that certain ranges of motion don't hurt like they had for a while, which is fantastic. I will probably not do the curls again for a bit, although I'm trying to figure out what the next step is as far as dealing with that elbow. I'd already figured on adding weight back on slowly in the next month or so (after this challenge is done), and I don't want the pulling work in GB to suffer, so I probably don't have any business doing extra bicep work. Still, the confusion.

Karate afterward was focused on skip-ins over step-ins. This lightness of foot is something that I'm not terribly strong at. Will need to find a way to address that at some point. Sooner rather than later, maybe. One more problem to solve. Wonderful.

Anyway! Studied and wrote and now it's onward to the end!

• Like 1