Getting back on the Wagon

So I fell off the wagon. Hard. Life has been good and I haven't been focused on my physical health except this nagging anxiety in the back of my head. So, instead of listening to fear every day, I think I'll just do something :).

Diet:

1. Hand portions: for this 4 weeks, I am going to try out measuring my portions with my hands instead of using calorie counting (check here for more info on that). I am going to do it by the book this first round and see how it goes.
  2. I am cutting out sweets/alcohol except for one meal, once a week.
  3. Drink 9 cups (72 oz) of water a day.

Fitness

1. Go for a walk every day, at least 20 minutes. When my elbow heals, start back up doing body weight workouts.

Level Up My Life

1. Continue praying the divine hours, having early slow mornings, and getting enough alone time.
  • Like 1

“To try to be brave is to be brave.”
George MacDonald

Town of Beginnings Quest || Évelyn an Ceò

Rundown of today:

- Day 1:
    - Diet:
        - 4 palm (protein)*
        - 3 fist (veggies)*
        - 5 cupped hands (carbs)*
        - 5 thumbs (fat)*
        - 42 oz water :P
        - No sweets!
    - Fitness:
        - 20 minute walk
    - LUML:
        - Slept in a little too late, but still got time to pray even if morning was a bit quicker.

*My goal is to get 4 portions for each of the categories, so I was a bit off today, but I'm excited for this different way of counting portions! I usually count calories, but have been feeling very hesitant recently towards it, so decided to try something different. I usually really flourish with calorie counting, but for the past 3 months or so, it has been difficult and I have been lazy. So, we'll see how this one goes! It feel simpler and helps me to eat more whole foods :)

Thanks for following along!

• Like 2

George MacDonald

Calorie counting is hard. I tried that too but living in a country where the food does not exist in the myfitnesspal app(my main calorie counting tool back then). Barcodes are mismatched. Trying to figure out the calories was hard - my mom's cooking because she cooks "by feeling". Translating names for recipes to put into app, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. And somehow, my phone keyboard does not allow me to input decimals (the .) when inputting serving size.

All in all, the inaccuracy stopped me from calorie counting. Reading your post, I think I should learn the hand portions technique. I find calorie counting hassle - I feel that I think too much for a meal. So, I just go by logic - "If I see and feel that it is too much of something, then its too much and should probably take it off the plate." technique...I guess.

• Like 1

I love your portion counting, it looks very consistent yet not overwelming!

Is the divine hours like the breviary? Something with readings and psalm to be read at a particular time of the day? If so, how do you find it? I tried it, but after few moments I get distracted, can't focus on it! I would love to try again, tho. Does it happen to you? Any suggestion?

• Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

- Day 2:
    - Diet:
        - 4 palm (protein)
        - 2.5 fist (veggies)
        - 6.5 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 3.3 thumbs (fat)
        - 78 oz water
        - No sweets!
    - Fitness:
        - 25 minute walk
    - LUML:
        - Woke up with enough time to pray, make breakfast, and walk! It was great. Prayed the hours for midday.

6 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Is the divine hours like the breviary? Something with readings and psalm to be read at a particular time of the day? If so, how do you find it? I tried it, but after few moments I get distracted, can't focus on it! I would love to try again, tho. Does it happen to you? Any suggestion?

Yes, it is basically a bit of a modernized breviary taking from the Book of Common Prayer, writings of the Church Fathers, and scripture! Phyllis Tickle organized it into morning, midday, vespers, and compline offices. There is one for Summertime, Winter and Fall, and Springtime; I have enjoyed all of them as they do follow the liturgical year and so I feel more unified with the universal church :).

As far as distraction, I feel like that often and definitely has ebbed and flowed with my practice of it. Currently I am at an artist residency and I feel that times away always jump start my practice, even for a weekend! One thing that has helped me is making it part of my daily routine and NOT praying in bed (i.e. my excuse for going back to sleep). Example: I wake up, make coffee, grab the Hours and step outside to pray them for a bit and then come back and get my coffee. Or right after lunch I pray. I often forget the Vespers but pray the Compline before bed.

Maybe too much info? Ha. I hope that helps!

On 7/11/2017 at 0:21 AM, RonRoen said:

All in all, the inaccuracy stopped me from calorie counting. Reading your post, I think I should learn the hand portions technique. I find calorie counting hassle - I feel that I think too much for a meal. So, I just go by logic - "If I see and feel that it is too much of something, then its too much and should probably take it off the plate." technique...I guess.

Calorie counting can be so helpful when you're all in, and I have been in the past. I have enjoyed it and enjoyed the benefits of it for sure; but recently (the last several months) I was not putting the time or consistency into it that you need and then just feeling guilty about it. And that's no way to live, haha. So if you're feeling frustrated then I would suggest trying this hand portion counting, too! I am learning it and we'll see how it goes, but so far I've really liked it! Here's a link to it from the first post, if you want to figure out the right portions :)http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/nutrition-by-the-handful-an-alternative-to-counting-calories

• Like 2

George MacDonald

Argh, I posted in the wrong thread, so if you saw the previous answer ignore it.

Thanks for the info. It is a very similar practice that I tried so many times! It works for me while I am on hols, but that's about it. My prayer works better in groups, but that is not always easy or possible... if you succeed (and I know you will) please share all the tips :)

• Like 2

- Day 3:
    - Diet:
        - 5 palm (protein)
        - 1.5 fist (veggies)
        - 2 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 6 thumbs (fat)
        - 78 oz water
        - No sweets!
    - Fitness:
        - 20 minute walk
    - LUML:
        - Woke up with enough time to pray, make breakfast, and walk! I made golden milk today, which I liked, but was a bit much.

I am definitely overdoing it on the fat...avocados, man. But today there was also almond milk, for the golden milk latte, and then a bit of mayonnaise in the meal that my friend prepared for us this evening. Sooooo, quite a bit.

Thank you guys for the encouragement, it means so much to me. I am feeling a bit discouraged with my body currently, which is never fun, but I'm going to continue to persevere. I mean, it's only day 3 for crying out loud :)

• Like 1

George MacDonald

- Day 4:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - 1.5 fist (veggies)
        - 3 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 4 thumbs (fat)
        - 64 oz water
        - No sweets!
    - Fitness:
        - Slept in today, no walk
    - LUML:
        - Spent time in the hours this morning and had enough time to make breakfast. Wish I had spent time praying the hours this afternoon, but I got carried away with work :/.

George MacDonald

Good that you are keeping up!

I am trying to introduce the hand portions as well from now on, it looks promising lurking at your post, you intrigued me :D

I have a couple of questions that you might have already answered but I cannot see anywhere:

1. Do you count avocado as fruit (so a cupped hand) or fat (a thumb)? and why?

2. How do you count hard cheese (e.g. http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=184283) is it protein or fat?

3. What about chocolate? I know you have excluded it, but it looks weird to be under carbs, can I have a whole hand of chocolate please? :angel:

More in general, do you have a list of foods that you assign to each category?

Thanks a million!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Good that you are keeping up!

I am trying to introduce the hand portions as well from now on, it looks promising lurking at your post, you intrigued me :D

I have a couple of questions that you might have already answered but I cannot see anywhere:

1. Do you count avocado as fruit (so a cupped hand) or fat (a thumb)? and why?

2. How do you count hard cheese (e.g. http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=184283) is it protein or fat?

3. What about chocolate? I know you have excluded it, but it looks weird to be under carbs, can I have a whole hand of chocolate please? :angel:

More in general, do you have a list of foods that you assign to each category?

Thanks a million!!

Such good questions! This is also my first time trying it, so I have set things I wasn't sure about into categories that seemed logical (to my weird mind :)). So:

1. I count avocados as fat even though I know it could fall in the fruit camp. The reason I set it as fat is that the heart of the hand portions is to give you the right amount of healthy, whole food, and avocados are one of the better choices of fat for our bodies. So, my weird mind deduced fat. And because I wanted to eat more bagels. (Side note: just looked up other people's thoughts on this one and it seems avocados always fall in the fat category for this.)

2. I also count all cheeses as fats. I'm also lactose intolerant, so I don't eat much cheese ;).

3. Bahahahaha. I also wouldn't mind a few handfuls of chocolate a day! I have no clue about sweets, but if you find out, let me know!

• Like 1

George MacDonald

So, the last two days were definitely meh, and I didn't write down my portions and didn't go for a walk today. Yesterday was sweets meal (woohoo!) butttttt it kind of was sweets day. Whoops. I'm learning, and want to continue and grow and dust myself off for tomorrow.

Thanks for following along, y'all, and for all of the encouragement!

• Like 1

George MacDonald

Thank you!

I too am going to do what is logical to my weird mind for now then!

I have been looking at the diet my nutritionist gave me years ago and I decided that hard cheese goes into fat and soft cheese goes into protein because of volume.

A portion of avocado is three slices, so it goes into fat

Chocolate goes into fat (because of volume) and cakes into carbs.

Lastly, milk would go into protein, but unsweetened almond milk (water, 4% almonds, vitamins) should go into fat as 1 portion is 25 thumbs but it would be too complicated so I will allow 1cup per day for free for now.

• Like 1

Dropping by to say hello and ask how everything's going~ (Lots of people skip posting over the weekend, but I just thought I'd check in.) 

Question! How do you measure "enough alone time" and, more importantly, how do you make sure to build it into your schedule? 

Answer! Regarding chocolate, I believe by the hand measure method milk chocolate is counted in knuckles (as in one joint of a finger) and dark in thumbs. Pretty strict! ;) I may be misremembering though. (Tagging @Diadhuit just in case, even though you seem to be doing well on keeping up with this thread :D)

• Like 2

- Day 8:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - 3 fist (veggies)
        - 2.75 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 4 thumbs (fat)
        - 52 oz water
        - One bite of my friend’s cake :/

- Fitness:
        - My elbow is healed, so I was able to do Angry Birds Circuit today! I was so happy to get to do body weight workouts again :)
    - LUML:
        - I had a lovely morning after a good night of sleep, spent time in the hours and then had a long arduous, emotional day that is just now ending at 1:30. Soooooo, I’d say we’re ending today on a balanced note. Ha.

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Question! How do you measure "enough alone time" and, more importantly, how do you make sure to build it into your schedule?

Thank you for dropping in @Wobbegong! Literally just figured out how to tag someone, ha :). Enough alone time, for me, takes a ton of self awareness. I naturally don't have ANY alone time, being an extrovert and being married, so I often realize I haven't had alone time when I leave to go on an artist residency or retreat (which is where I am now :)). So, now that I've realized how life giving it is again, I am trying to schedule it into my days through praying the Hours and also having a slow morning when everyone else is asleep. So I try for around 2 hours in the morning alone and about an hour in the evening. It ebbs and flows, but building it around my waking and sleeping is helpful.

• Like 1

George MacDonald

It does take a lot of self awareness, so I'm glad to hear you're working on it and even happier to hear you've got such a great plan figured out with a mixture of scheduling and "chaining" habits! That's fantastic, and it sounds like it's working well for you! 

Keep up the good work! And feel free to tag people anytime if you need them, we're all always happy to hear from you. (Sometimes the tagging system is finicky about sending alerts though, so quoting also works well to get people's attention if they've handily posted nearby.) 

• Like 1

- Day 9:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - .5 fist (veggies)
        - 6-7 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 2 thumbs (fat)
        - ? oz water
        - Nutella crepe….when in Quebec…
    - Fitness:
        - No walk today, workout tomorrow :)
    - LUML:
        - Today was crazy. The power went off in the morning, so we had to go out to eat and my choices weren’t awesome with food. But they were also delicious, and I don’t feel too bad about it for one meal. But I still got in time to pray the hours and the day actually ended up being fairly delightful. I’m very thankful for today :)

• Like 1

George MacDonald

- Day 10:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - 2.5 fist (veggies)
        - 5 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 3 thumbs (fat)
        - 80 oz water
        - No sweets
    - Fitness:
        - Angry Birds Circuit
    - LUML:
        - Morning Hours, limited alone time because I chatted with one of my best friends this morning. Needed a bit more alone time today, so will seek it out better tomorrow!

• Like 1

George MacDonald

Hey Évelyn an Ceò, how's your challenge going? Haven't heard from you in a few days. 

You were doing really well for a while, right? Although I know you were working on getting to 4 hand-servings of everything and you're not quite there yet, you do seem to be getting close! Keep us posted, we're rooting for you!

- Day 18:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - 1 fist (veggies)
        - 6-7 cupped hands (carbs)
        - Lots of thumbs (fat)
        - 84 oz water
        - This weekend/week has been not awesome with food.
    - Fitness:
        - Angry Birds Circuit
    - LUML:
        - Morning hours and evening hours, but not a lot of alone time today. Had a wonderful walk and peaceful time with some girlfriends, though, and that was very life giving.

Sorry that I haven't posted in a week of so! I was keeping up pretty well till last Friday and I have not had a lot of alone time or motivation to eat well. Friday nights are party nights at the residency I am at, and after that night, it is easy to slip back into eating sweets and drinking more regularly. Anyways, I haven't done what I said I would do and so I haven't wanted to post.

• Like 1

George MacDonald

15 hours ago, Évelyn an Ceò said:

Sorry that I haven't posted in a week of so! I was keeping up pretty well till last Friday and I have not had a lot of alone time or motivation to eat well. Friday nights are party nights at the residency I am at, and after that night, it is easy to slip back into eating sweets and drinking more regularly. Anyways, I haven't done what I said I would do and so I haven't wanted to post.

Makes sense, although rather than squirming about not doing what I said I'd do and feeling guilty I usually just prefer to say "IT DIDN'T HAPPEN, SO SUE ME" and move on. It works better for me from an accountability perspective and for getting back on track faster, but of course to each their own. :)

If you know Fridays are trip-up days, is there anything you can do to prepare and get back on track after? 

On 7/27/2017 at 4:10 PM, Wobbegong said:

If you know Fridays are trip-up days, is there anything you can do to prepare and get back on track after?

I don't have any ideas, but I'm certainly open to suggestions! And Fridays are meant to be sweets and booze in the evening, so not so much a trip-up as an intentional letting go for the evening. Unfortunately, it is hard to stop letting go, ha! So, if you or anyone else has some good ideas, it would be super helpful :)

• Like 1

George MacDonald

Yesterday!

- Day 19:
    - Diet:
        - 3 palm (protein)
        - 1 fist (veggies)
        - 5 cupped hands (carbs)
        - 3 (fat)
        - 72 oz water
        - No sweets
    - Fitness:
        - No work out.
    - LUML:
        - Very emotional, moody day yesterday. Weird.

• Like 1

George MacDonald

I guess I'm just a little confused. If you're planning to let loose on Fridays -- which you should totally feel welcome to do! -- then why not just designate Fridays as free days, let yourself chill out, and understand that when Saturday rolls around you get back to your regularly scheduled programming? 

My question is, why is it that Friday fun days are throwing you off course even after Friday fun time is over? It sounds like the Friday stuff is planned, but you said "after that, it's easy to slip back into eating sweets and drinking more regularly." If you can figure out why your Friday is leaking, maybe you can prevent it. And it may be as simple as giving yourself a pass for Friday nights but not for any other time.