• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fightthefire

Is this too much working out?

I'm going to start doing steve's Advanced Bodyweight routine on Monday,'s Wednesday's and Friday's along with hill sprints for cardio. On my off days (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) the climbing wall is available, and Pilates on Saturday. Sunday would be my total off day to watch up on any homework/meal planning I need to do. Im going to try to consume around 4,000 calories, a third through steve's post workout shake, two lunches, a few snacks and dinner. My goal weight is 175lbs and I'm currently at 98lbs.

Is this too much? 

Thanks!

Edit: I also might try the superhero workout to build some muscle, weight, and size a little quicker if it's possible but I don't want to over do it so any input is greatly appreciated.

What's your current BMR (base metabolic rate)?  This is the calories you burn just for being alive, before adding in activity/exercise; google a BMR calculator, if you don't know yet.  How much are you currently eating?  At <100lb, 4000 calories is probably double (or more) your BMR, so you will gain weight, even exercising 6days/week.  But you'll need to tweak things to minimize the fat gain.  Assuming you're looking to gain healthy weight, here's a good article on what to expect.  Also, keep in mind that you'll need to adjust your diet as you go to account for the new weight/muscle you're building.

Personally, I'm a ~145lb male and between my BMR and 3-4 workouts a week I burn ~2000cal a day.  To gain a 1/2lb per week (2lb per month), I need another ~400cal per day.  If I ate 4000cal a day, I'd gain ~10lb a month, with at most 2lb of it being muscle/healthy.  So while I'm not a medical professional of any kind, I strongly suspect that you shouldn't eat that much either. :playful:

Also, how did you come up with your goal weight?  You're looking to almost double your size, which is a difficult proposition and will require years of dedication to do safely.  Do you have a rolemodel who started with your current body type and is now (close) to your goal?  How did they do it?  If you don't have one yet, do some research to find one. :friendly_wink:

Six workouts a week is completely doable, as long as you rotate activities and don't overwork any particular muscle group.  Listen to your body and rest or do a light session if you need to.  It's better to take your time and do it right, than push too hard and hurt yourself.  Watch your form, and stop or reduce the difficulty if you can't maintain it.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of sleep.  Your body can't repair itself for the next workout without sleep, so you're going to need a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

What's your current BMR (base metabolic rate)?  This is the calories you burn just for being alive, before adding in activity/exercise; google a BMR calculator, if you don't know yet.  How much are you currently eating?  At <100lb, 4000 calories is probably double (or more) your BMR, so you will gain weight, even exercising 6days/week.  But you'll need to tweak things to minimize the fat gain.  Assuming you're looking to gain healthy weight, here's a good article on what to expect.  Also, keep in mind that you'll need to adjust your diet as you go to account for the new weight/muscle you're building.

Personally, I'm a ~145lb male and between my BMR and 3-4 workouts a week I burn ~2000cal a day.  To gain a 1/2lb per week (2lb per month), I need another ~400cal per day.  If I ate 4000cal a day, I'd gain ~10lb a month, with at most 2lb of it being muscle/healthy.  So while I'm not a medical professional of any kind, I strongly suspect that you shouldn't eat that much either. :playful:

Also, how did you come up with your goal weight?  You're looking to almost double your size, which is a difficult proposition and will require years of dedication to do safely.  Do you have a rolemodel who started with your current body type and is now (close) to your goal?  How did they do it?  If you don't have one yet, do some research to find one. :friendly_wink:

Six workouts a week is completely doable, as long as you rotate activities and don't overwork any particular muscle group.  Listen to your body and rest or do a light session if you need to.  It's better to take your time and do it right, than push too hard and hurt yourself.  Watch your form, and stop or reduce the difficulty if you can't maintain it.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of sleep.  Your body can't repair itself for the next workout without sleep, so you're going to need a lot.

Okay so based on your awesome and informative response, im changing my goal weight to 125lbs, (cause Scarlett Johansson is awesome), that seems more doable and I can always change it once I hit 125lbs. (The goal of 175lbs was from the Assasssin's creed movie workout page I found I didn't do the workout but it was informative (love the games the movie was ehh) )

I've calculated my MBR and it's 1292.8 so you were right in that consuming 4,000 calories was more than double my MBR. So I'll definitely be gaining weight! ^^ though looking at this calculation I think I'll try to tweet my diet so it's 3,000 calories instead of 4,000 because that does seem like a lot but I'm not sure cause well to gain weight you have to eat a lot... as for keeping my body fat percentage the same or even increase it to 20% (it's at 17% right now) I'm going with a Paleo-ish diet. I will still be eating the good things a lot of vegetables, some fruit and nuts, quality meat, fish, and eggs, but I would also eat outside the paleo diet occasionally with beans, dairy, rice etc. for help in weight gain. 

With ckecking my form, I workout in front of a full length mirror in my room and always review what the exercise is supposed to look like (done correctly) from one of Steve's videos or explanations. 

As for sleep I have it set to where I go to sleep around 11 and get up at 7, a full 8 hours of sleep, though I might drop it down to 10 at night to get 9 hours but that's something I'll work out (no pun intended) (it was soooo intened) 

thank you so much for your help @Anim07734

• Like 2

Eating paleo won't keep you lean if you're eating a ton more calories than you're burning; you're still going to put on fat.  You'll be healthier than choking down fast food, but as far as fat goes, a calorie is a calorie. 

The mention of MBR is good, and the right place to start.  Next, you need to determine your TDEE.  Total Daily Energy Expenditure.  This is MBR + Calories needed to fuel your exercise.  Calculator's exist for this as well.  It's not perfect since it is range based (no exercise, low, moderate, etc.) but it's a decent place to start.  

To simplify it, just start with adding 200 calories to your MBR.  Watch your weight, see what the change is, and adjust up or down from there.  

Edit: sorry for the bump folks, didn't realize how old this was.  My bad.

Edited by Renatus Aurelius
I'm dumb.