elizevdmerwe - Accountability while taking a bit of a break

On 2017/07/21 at 9:42 PM, Elastigirl said:

Looks great. You always impress me with how much you get done!

Thanks. I've had a bit more time for myself this last week, mainly because of no to little schoolwork, easing back into the routine. Today we are full-force ahead.

--------------------------------------------------
Venting:

Spoiler

Had a bit of an issue when we left the house last week. I opened the main gate so we could drive out, when my mom remembered that she forgot her purse inside the house. So I gave her the keys and reminded her to lock up. We waited inside the car at the gate. Upon our return we found the house open! The security gates unlocked, the front door open. I couldn't understand what happened because I remembered locking up! So obviously I told the boys and my mom to stay in the car, while I inspect the property, but found no signs of forced entry. Then it hit me later that my mom had gone back in, so she never even closed the doors or gates, she just left everything open! I gave her a very stern talking because she jeopardised the security of our home! If someone finds out that there might be a chance the doors are unlocked, we can be sure to have "visitors" to check.

During the week people mentioned on the w.app group that they saw trespassers on their properties (2x). Over the weekend people down the road from us had their dogs poisoned, and others had tree branches break in the night when someone was hiding in the tree. Might have been the same person who did it. Unfortunately the "hider" got away, as their property is next to the bush. I've added my mom to this group so she can notify someone if there is a problem on our property, so she knows what is happening all around us.

I thought that it was just nerves and a once off because we were waiting for her, so I put it behind me, but then this morning my mom says she doesn't think she has to lock her bedroom and bathroom doors (two separate rooms) when we go to town. Off course you have to lock up! You always have to take all precautions and safety measures. We cannot and will not replace any clothing or jewellery that is stolen, and we don't have insurance that covers household contents. And she has some very expensive jewellery that my stepsister bought her before her death.

"Oh, well if you really feel it is necessary" was her reply. She is now agitated and upset that I told her to be more careful and responsible w.r.t. safety and locking up her place. I'll make sure from now on that I'm the last one out of our house and everything is locked up. Her room is her responsibility.

Went through the motivation letter for the license application with Brandt this weekend. He was not impressed with the way they drew it up. I wasn't impressed with the amount of grammar errors. So I retyped, and reread, and retyped, and eventually the original 3 page document with all kinds of affidavits (total 11 pages!) as proof that we drive around for the kids, etc. were cut down to just over 1 page with about 3 extra pages and police forms. All I quoted was the paragraph from our Constitution which says a person has the right to defend themselves in our criminally-rampant country, especially because first responders like the police or emergency services are not able to arrive immediately or on the scene within 5min. of a situation starting Well you are lucky if they manage to arrive within 10-15min. Well that is what it basically comes down to. So I'll finalise everything this week and make an appointment with the officer to hand in the application. Then it is a minimum of 3months waiting to find out whether it has been approved, or whether I have to appeal.

Start of our full school schedule and all extra-mural activities this week.

Summary for Week 2:

EXERCISE:

Only two activities due to other responsibilities.

HEALTH:

Very well. Two exceptions. Tomorrow is Brandt's birthday and I'll help him bake carrot cake to take to work. I asked whether we could keep off with the chocolate cake for home until Rocco's gum infection is better. His gums are bleeding in places when we brush his teeth. I'm back at brushing for them, and not just telling/reminding them to do it. Specifically his.

TO DO's:

A lot of finances. Devotional studies with my mom, as well as my own Bible study early in the morning. I received the next book for proof reading, but the lady said to take it easy.

ME TIME:

The only time I have totally for myself are early morning drinking coffee and doing Bible study in bed, and then late at night, after my mom and the boys have gone to their rooms.

I've suggested to my mom that she join the local Dutch Reformed Church (which she joined while staying at my aunt and uncle), and more specifically their pensioners club. They go on a once a month outing to fascinating places in and around town, at very low cost, and there are great people whom she can make friends with. She isn't interested. She also says she wants to walk more, but doesn't want to join the free pensioners hiking group. They get together once a week, early in the morning.

• Like 4

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Your mom is pretty much like having a toddler around, I will keep praying for patience and wisdom for you as you deal with her.  

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Your mom is pretty much like having a toddler around, I will keep praying for patience and wisdom for you as you deal with her.  

Yes! And how! Which is, I suspect, why my aunt and uncle struggled to hold out with her, because they've never had kids, and have never been around little kids for an extended period of time. Thank you for continuing to pray. I am also praying for tempering of sarcasm, to understand her and to "not sweat the little stuff". So far so good, but today had more incidences like these. One of them was while Brandt and I were baking his birthday cakes tonight. We were ... playful and maybe a tad naughty :pirate: in the kitchen, giggling, laughing and making all kinds of comments (I still ended up having to do the dishes though). She came in with three +-1inch pieces of wool "to throw away in the dustbin", yet she's been using a paper bin right next to her the whole time up till then. She basically wanted to see what we were up to. So one part of me was laughing on the inside because of the excuse she thought up, while another part was sad for her, wondering whether she had this in any of her marriages? Otherwise a lot of the times she acts like Rocco when he was younger: go to a shop and she wants to buy everything her eyes see. The only other sad part was that Brandt then immediately clammed up when she came in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Posting to make it easier to follow.

Thank you, appreciate it. :loyal:

---------------------------------------------------------

Sunday 22 July & Monday 23 July:

EXERCISE:

• Sunday: No DFD, but I did read a lot of articles and learned more about the differences between holsters, and one article was about Sports Adventure Shooting. Oh, I like, I like!
  • Monday: No strength training once again as I had to do a lot of driving for Brandt and myself.

HEALTH:

• Water: 2x and 1.5x bottles
  • Food: Good - Some sweet potato chips (no gluten so allowed in small quantities) which I bought frozen, but baked at home. Otherwise healthy and on the spot.
  • Bible Study: Yes... and slept in a bit on Sunday. Monday: Yes, and up early again.

ME TIME:

• 15min absolute alone time: Yes, "slept in time" was about an hour Sunday morning that I stayed in the bedroom, drinking my cup of coffee, reading, snoozing, dreaming...
  • An hour with Brandt: Sort of - we spent some good, quality time together baking, and still one more chocolate cake to bake. Two carrot cakes done. I'll ice early tomorrow morning. Yummy! Cottage cheese icing for the carrot cake - my favourite.
  • Sleep 21h30-22h00: Sunday, only just in time. Monday evening: nope, not with one more cake that needs to be baked, and it is already 21h04.
  • Like 6

On 2017/07/25 at 1:25 PM, annyshay said:

Hehe, glad you had some quality time with Brandt despite another toddler being about. ;)

;) *blush*. We are both focusing on each other and it is showing in our interactions and relationship.

--------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 25 July & Wednesday 26 July:

EXERCISE:

• Tuesday: Walked! We are walking at a (much) slower pace, to get my mom's fitness to increase, but still walking min. of 4 laps.
  • Wednesday: One of those days where the time just flew out the window before I could really get to do anything else.
  • I've realised that I always pile everything on myself in a challenge instead of adding only 1x activity extra from the previous challenge. And then, as is happening again this challenge, I'm not getting to half of the new stuff, and start feeling like a loser. Will focus just on Self Defense on a Wednesday as extra to the normal walk and gardening. I'm missing my OCR training and saw a couple of competitions that will be held this next month. Unfortunately there are no way that I can even think of doing it, as they are much more difficult than the Muddy Princess.

HEALTH:

• Water: 2x and 1x bottles respectively
  • Food: Nope, had cake. I think two small slices on Tuesday (1x chocolate and 1x carrot cake), and then 1x small, small slice of carrot cake on Wednesday. My tummy is not happy because of normal cake flour, but this too shall pass.
  • Bible Study: Yes, as well as extra Devotional with my mom.

ME TIME:

• 15min absolute alone time: Can't remember, but last night (Wednesday) I went to bed shortly after the boys, spent 10min. reading before falling asleep. Brandt is struggling to fall asleep, because of the continued issues with that one client. The lawyer is sorting it out via letters, but it comes at a price.
  • An hour with Brandt: No, went to bed early last night, and Brandt said he wanted to talk but felt he couldn't wake me up.
  • Sleep 21h30-22h00: Yes, both nights respectively.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I've realised that I always pile everything on myself in a challenge instead of adding only 1x activity extra from the previous challenge. And then, as is happening again this challenge, I'm not getting to half of the new stuff, and start feeling like a loser. Will focus just on Self Defense on a Wednesday as extra to the normal walk and gardening. I'm missing my OCR training and saw a couple of competitions that will be held this next month. Unfortunately there are no way that I can even think of doing it, as they are much more difficult than the Muddy Princess.

Good insight! It's a big shift in thinking to do small changes over time!

Let me just add a "yet" to that last sentence....

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Good insight! It's a big shift in thinking to do small changes over time!

Let me just add a "yet" to that last sentence....

Yip, I need a "yet" in that last sentence. I want to work myself back up to my previous strength and fitness levels, and it should go better if I make small changes rather than dump everything on myself at once. I've promised my friend that I'll do the Muddy Princess with her in January, so by then I should be up to par.

--------------------------------------------

Rocco had his first soccer lesson with coach Curran today, who was off sick the whole of second term. They were 5 boys and Rocco immediately took a liking to him. He knew some of the other boys from Playball and the previous soccer matches, so no discomfort, etc. Afterwards he told the coach that he liked him, and "sure, I'll be back next week. Enjoy your weekend" and then we were off :D The coach just looked at me with an open mouth. Don't know why adults are always so surprised with Rocco, to me that is just good manners greeting the coach and wishing him a good weekend, when it is close. While he was practicing, my mom and I went for a walk around the field. She stopped after 1 lap. I continued on to finish 3 laps at a fast pace, and did 1.2km at an avg of 5.??km/hr.

I also sent all the finances up to and including May to my mil to put on the books, and pass on to the accountant for provisional tax. Will finish June and July this weekend and send it off to her next week. Also phoned the police Warrant Officer in charge of Applications for licenses as she hasn't answered my message. The desk constable only said to continue trying her cellphone, as she prefers that. Couldn't get an answer. Also tried to phone the lady whom I won that "make over" prize from. No answer there either. Will have to try again first thing tomorrow morning.

Was talking to my mom about hair cuts/styling. Told her previously that she can try the lady I'm going to now, and that she gives discount to pensioners. While I was trying to explain to her my plan in first contacting the lady w.r.t. the prize, my mom kept interrupting me, so that I couldn't get two words strung together! I finally told her to please keep quiet while I'm trying to tell her what I was thinking and planning. She again interrupted me saying "I know..." and I replied "no you don't, because you're not listening to a word I'm saying, you keep interrupting me." She just looked at me with big eyes. So I explained to her that I just first want to see whether the prize includes a haircut/styling, because if it doesn't, then I'll organise an appointment for both of us with the lady, as that will work out better w.r.t. driving, petrol, etc. Otherwise we can see how we can work it out. Then she started telling me again about her hair, previous experiences about hair cuts, etc. I listened patiently, but realised again, I'm not a girls-girl. I'm not into talking about fashion, colours, styles, nails, etc. But I listened. I'll try to make an effort and look up hair styles for women over 60 and ask her to look whether she likes something there that may suite her.

• Like 2

You've obviously doing a good job raising your boys to be polite and thoughtful. Great work at getting the walks in. Don't worry about the slower pace. I read/listen to a lot of Katy Bowmans stuff.She is a biomechanist, focusing on body movement, and why it is important. She says it is good to get different types of walks in; slow ones, fast one: one where you carry stuff, on uneven ground, etc.

One of the reasons I decided to lose weight was that if was easier than worrying about being fashionable. I felt frumpy in my jeans and t-shirt, and decided I needed to update my style. I tried a bit, but it's so hard to keep up with changing styles. I people watched a bunch, and decided that really what made middle age women not look frumpy was when they were at a healthy weight. So I lost weight, and still wear jeans and a t-shirt.:) Though I do get my hair cut regularly now too, but its a real easy style to care for.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I forgot to say, the idea of little changes is so huge. I do that too, pile too much on my challenges , and then feel like I've failed .Really enjoying my laid back summer challenges, and actually feeling like I'm getting a bunch of stuff done.

• Like 2

On 2017/07/27 at 7:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

She says it is good to get different types of walks in; slow ones, fast one: one where you carry stuff, on uneven ground, etc

That's good to hear, because I was thinking that I need to get to one fast pace again, and push it. But it actually makes sense that you need to be able to walk under all kinds of circumstances. Well, we are getting different types of walks in at the moment.

On 2017/07/27 at 7:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

really what made middle age women not look frumpy was when they were at a healthy weight. So I lost weight, and still wear jeans and a t-shirt.

This! When I lost all that weight and wore my normal clothes I looked and felt a whole lot better. Different styles or fashion really isn't my thing, so I'll stick with what works for me, and when I'm fit and healthy I look and feel a whole lot better. I've picked up some weight again a couple of months ago, but it has been steady, which makes me believe it has mostly something to do with the hormones/peri-menopause and secondly with training and eating. But I need to get back on track with training.

On 2017/07/27 at 7:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

I forgot to say, the idea of little changes is so huge. I do that too, pile too much on my challenges , and then feel like I've failed .Really enjoying my laid back summer challenges, and actually feeling like I'm getting a bunch of stuff done.

I'm getting a lot done in other areas as well, just not training. Or that is what it feels like. The boys complained today that we are driving around too much again (out almost every day). They don't want to go out for even more activities, so its better to continue with things we can do together at home. Adam and I have to HAVE TO at least get back on track with the self defense. And of course that would be good for Rocco as well, so I'm going to focus on adding that every week.

--------------------------------------------

Thursday 27 July & Friday 28 July:

EXERCISE:

• Thursday: Walked at soccer.
  • Friday: Stood for almost two hours during our Water Festival Day talking to passersby about our four different sources of water (bottled, municipality-tap, salt (ocean), and river). We had a great time!

HEALTH:

• Water: 2x each day.
  • Food: Good again!
  • Bible Study: Yes, morning Bible study.

ME TIME:

• Not that I can remember. I remember wishing for some peace and quiet. Ooh! Ooh! I wasn't totally alone, but Thursday's two laps around the field by myself can definitely count. I could hear myself think!
  • Sleep 21h30-22h00: Nope and probably nope.

TO DO's:

• Proof Reading Novellas: Received two novellas to finish proof reading by Sunday. One very short (under 100p) the other two stories in one, over 100p all together. I completed the first one last night, and hoping to get at least half way through the first part of the second book tonight. Next week another of this author's books are going to arrive, which is a full story (+-200 pages).
  • Got my mom's outstanding medicines from the hospital clinic today. The people were again very helpful as soon as I told them the whole story of her only arriving the 10th July, seeing the dr. the first time on the 12th, etc. etc. They unfortunately gave her two of her previous medicines, which should have been crossed out. I have to hand it in at the local clinic on Tuesday, and then set a new date for my mom to fetch her next lot of meds at the end of the month.
  • Have another full schedule tomorrow morning with the boys having activities in totally different areas. Then sometime next week I need to arrange appointments for the Application and the prize that I have to "claim". And I have to get my mom to the mall where she can draw her pension grant, and do what needs to be done.

Brandt saw the skin specialist this afternoon, who froze all the troubling spots. They don't seem to be skin cancer It is skin cancer (basal cell carcinomas) but not likely to cause death. Brandt has to see him again in three months' time to see whether they grew back or not. For now Brandt is breathing easier.

• Like 5

Spent whole of Saturday morning driving around. First Farmer's Market for milk (6am), then Karkloof for Adam's Jnr Field Guide course (8am) (He loved it!). Then home for a quick 45min. having brunch before taking Rocco to his dance workshop (10h30) (he had a blast! but could only do the first hour), then straight back to Karkloof to collect Adam (11h30). Stopped along the way and got take aways (curry, and russian and chips), before back to pick Rocco up (13h00). The boys had really enjoyed their respective mornings which tired them out. Then home ... 7 hrs on the road. I was exhausted last night, falling asleep on my chair by 18h00, so I went to my bedroom, warned the boys within everyone's earshot that I please want to be left alone because I'm tired, and took an hour+ catnap. Got up just before my mom went to her room, packed away the washing, got the boys in the shower and in their beds, and Brandt and I spent a quiet hour together before he went to bed. I finished proof reading all three novellas last night. Went to bed around midnight, but only got up after 7h00 this morning.

Preparing some meals in advance today: Kind of getting into the habit and liking it, as it saves me some time (and money) during the week.

• Cauli-mash (still have cabbage spaghetti and spaghetti tomato sauce left from last time);
  • Cream of chicken soup (with lots of chicken, green and white soup-veg-pack, and some cream cooked and pureed together);
  • Light curry Kahlua-Pietermaritzburg Pork;
  • Coleslaw (with cabbage, carrots, asparagus, pineapple, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and some mayonnaise) - mil adds cream too, but that might be too much;
  • And then not pre-preparing but on the list for Tuesday: Cheesy Mince Bake (like Lasagne without the pasta)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That coleslaw sounds nommy. Your Saturday sounds very busy, glad the boys enjoyed it.

Salad was delicious even if I have to say so myself. The whole weekend and week so far has been busy.

A lot of driving around, but Wednesdays should be our "at home day" from now on. Handed in my application this morning, and the W/O was very positive... we'll have to see how it works out in 3 months' time.

A lot of driving, a lot of arrangements, some things finalised and we can just go on now, other things we have to still tackle (my mom's pension card expiring, etc.). A lot of proof reading done, and a new book to start tonight. I'm still busy with the thick book. I felt totally overwhelmed at one stage on Sunday because of everything I still had to manage and get through. Felt like I wanted to cry and just give in... but I gathered my bubble around me, went to the bedroom, closed the door and threatened to lock it if I wasn't given 5min alone. Talked to the Lord in my room , then just took some deep breaths and emerged knowing one thing, one day at a time and we'll make it through.

Ok, positive! Everything is working out at the moment. Everything is falling in place. I'm going to work in the garden this afternoon, and will leave the Self Defense for next challenge, because at the moment the garden is giving me a lot of peace (and no disturbances) which I need. My people cup is a bit overflowing, and the garden helps me to cope with having too many people around me all the time (or that is how it feels at the moment having to go out almost every single day). But that feeling of too many people will also pass, and things will settle. Time and patience... The rest of the things on the challenge list really is in place: water, sleep (can you believe it!), food, etc. Even the dogs are better! Simba has a new vigor for life as he is walking around a lot compared to previously. Snippie was put on water tablets (saw the vet on Monday) and her constant coughing through the night has stopped. She is also up and about, walking outside and enjoying the garden a lot more.

Sleep is really underrated.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Couldn't agree more. Good on you for taking your me time. Things will settle, but it's important to take care of yourself in that process! Glad the pups are feeling better too!

I took my "me time" in the garden... unfortunately someone frequently came to stand behind me and kept saying: "Ag I'm so useless, now I can't even help you. Poor me, I even broke my nails trying to pull the weeds out."

Spoiler

Suffice to say I tried to be patient but she complained about everything I asked her to do, after she kept asking me to give her something to do. She did try some of the things, like weeding and sweeping the path, but moan, moan, moan, poor me, I don't know how to do .... and then starting on the "I am so useless" again. Eventually I told her she won't be able to do anything if she doesn't try and if she doesn't try a little bit more every day, every week. Complaining and blaming the past the whole time is a waste of time. She has the opportunity to do something if she wants to, but it is her choice. So decide what you want to do. Then I gave her a pain pill, because she "developed a head ache and then a tummy ache". She wanted different pain pills for both, but I reminded her the doctor took the tummy pills away. She drank the paracetamol before I could blink. In hind sight I think she wanted attention, wanted me to dote on her, "because why are you working so hard in the garden?"

While chopping down the huge bushes of Aloes, I found a hole dug by the dogs, with thick, wet mud at the bottom. There was one spot where a bubble kept coming up, but not frequently. So either the drain pipe burst (we had a blockage a couple of months ago), or the incoming water pipes (relatively new) sprung a leak... But our water bill didn't really increase except for this last month that I've been watering the garden.

I may not have had the peace I needed, but my garden work was rewarded when (a bird looking a lot like) this little fellow came to inspect the half-way cut down aloe bush. He flew down less than a meter from me! What made it a very special moment for me was that I had just asked God whether He will send birds to our garden again, but also please protect them from Stampy. Such a huge variety of birds frolicked in our garden before Stampy moved in.

tchagra.a.tete.brune.roba.2p.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet bird, looks similar to our chickadees. I love it when I am outside and see birds. The other day my husband saw a hummingbird, but by the time I turned around it was gone. The  chickadees come right up to me while I'm gardening, chattering and asking me if I plan on sharing.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

In hind sight I think she wanted attention, wanted me to dote on her, "because why are you working so hard in the garden?"

This is always the answer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sweet bird, looks similar to our chickadees. I love it when I am outside and see birds. The other day my husband saw a hummingbird, but by the time I turned around it was gone. The  chickadees come right up to me while I'm gardening, chattering and asking me if I plan on sharing.:)

I looked it up in the book, then never wrote the name down! Silly me. It is called the Brown-crowned Tchagra, although this was the closest photo of a bird I could find looking like the one I saw. The white line above its eye and the rust brown head and wings caught my attention. It was so beautiful with the late afternoon sun shining off the rust-brown patches. And the way it kept looking at me, jumping from branch to branch... I also saw a masked weaver just the other side of the fence in our neighbour's Strelitzias. We used to get tiny, tiny Sunbirds which flocked to the Aloes in winter for some nectar. This year I didn't see any :( Oh, I also heard a Yellow billed kite call from somewhere close by, but couldn't see it. That is a sure sign that our spring is on its way.

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is always the answer.

Yeah ... I don't have a lot of sympathy for her at the moment. I've been listening to some of her stories of the past, where she insists she did this or that with me, bought me this or that, and then she gave me this look when I told her she never did those things with me, it was with my step-sister and/or friends, and it wasn't even here in Pmb. She insisted the other day that she went to a certain church with me next to the soccer field where Rocco was training, when I've never been there in all the years that I've lived in Pmb. Before her divorce three years ago, she's only ever been here twice. The first time was for Rocco's birth, which I had to beg her to come down for, and the second time was for Rocco's Christening, which I had to beg her and her husband to come down for, and he sat and drank on the stoep the whole weekend, except for the two hours we were at church/reception. That was when Brandt lost his "sense of humour" with them. Anyway... I'm trying not to drag up the past, but it is difficult at times, especially when she feels so sorry for herself. Then I can't help to think what she's put me through all the years. So I feel that she should stop feeling sorry for herself, and get up on her feet if she really wants to, otherwise she is really just making me angry. For most part I'm trying to act like a duck - let the water/comments roll off my back. And most of the times it works.

Like-water-off-a-ducks-back.png

Sorry for complaining so much. Probably hormones and a bit of anger, and some worry over Stampy who is not well, all mixed together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Sorry for complaining so much. Probably hormones and a bit of anger, and some worry over Stampy who is not well, all mixed together.

Please do not apologize for venting. Look at how far you've come just through venting on here about your mother. This is good for you.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Please do not apologize for venting. Look at how far you've come just through venting on here about your mother. This is good for you.

*hugs* The venting does help me to see perspective, but I'll try not to only vent. Working hard also helps to get rid of a lot of stress and pent up emotions.

----------------------

Don't know whether I mentioned it, but it is the sewerage drain pipe that seems to have burst. Hopefully the guy will get back to me today. We need to replace pipe for probably 20m.

Stampy was moving around again last night. Still decidedly uncomfortable, but definitely better. Woop! Woop! for Pegasus constipation meds. I gave him syringes full of water during the day. Nothing close to what he is supposed to get in, but better than nothing. He wasn't complaining or growling, his nose was wet, and he showed interest in what was going on around him.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

Glad Stampy is getting better

Thanks, he has two softish lumps in his intestine area, but they are moving, he is moving around ... I would still like to take him to the vet rather. Just waiting for the drain man to arrive...

My mom helped me with washing machine water on Saturday. I ran the gray water into a huge container, and she started scooping small buckets full into bigger buckets for me. I dumped it all over the garden. We can't water the garden with tap water anymore - shortage - this should help.

First I had to replace the tap for the washing machine though... we had a lever one, and the lever's little ring valve inside got stuck. None of the spare taps we have at home fit, so I had to drive to a hardware store Saturday afternoon (Brandt was in Port Shepstone for a rally race - 3hrs away). Could only get a plastic tap as there is a shortage of copper in the country. Anyway, made a couple of changes with fittings, got the tap installed and working, and my mom started on the washing.

Brandt will drop us off at Sassa (government dept for grants, etc.) on Thursday. It will be a long wait, in long queues. Then he'll come and fetch us when I phone him. The boys can stay with Thoko. Hopefully we'll be able to sort out my mom's pension grant, have it transferred here before it expires, and then re-apply or extend for the next 2 years.

Oh, and the challenge is over. *sigh*

• Like 2