• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

3127064-image-of-spider-man-lifting-weig

2017 Lifting Competition #2, Hot and Heavy Heroic Hefting 2017!

Awhile back, forum member Andy Gates came up with the idea that we do a virtual power lifting meet where everyone tests their 1 rep maxes in the big 3, and we compete for bragging rights. It was such fun that we decided to make in an official Nerd Fitness forum activity that we do every 4 months or so.

The competition will be held from July 15th  through July 30th. During this time, test your 1RM in the powerlifting lifts (squat/bench/deadlift) and/or in the Olympic lifts (snatch/clean and jerk) and post them in the SCORING SPREADSHEET. The highest individual and total powerlifting Wilks scores and the highest individual and total Olympic Sinclair scores will receive championship titles to be defended during the next virtual competition . The powerlifting and weightlifting lifts may be done on different days so that people who want to participate in both can put their best foot forward each time, but all powerlifting lifts need to be done in a single session and all weightlifting lifts in a single session according to the rules below.

Before you do your attempts, you may enter your name, gender, and an estimate of your body weight in order to sign up and declare your intent to compete. Do not enter any poundages for any lifts until you do them! This sheet is for results, not planning purposes. Just enter the 3 attempts in the attempts columns, not the "best" columns, placing an "x" next to any lifts you fail. The sheet will do the rest of the work.

We're using kg, so just multiply by .454 if pounds are your arbitrary mass measurement unit of choice. The sheet includes calculations using the Wilks Formula for the powerlifting section, so we can judge across sex as well as weight. The intent of the Sinclair score the way we are using it is the same, but for weightlifting.

Everyone is welcome here, of all classes, abilities, and levels of fitness. This is all for fun and the major reason we track it is so we have a record that you can come back and check your progress against later (ok, and bragging rights). Reporting is all on the honor system, but videos are encouraged!

The Prizes:

• Each individual with the highest individual lift scores for their gender will receive a forum title declaring them as the champion of that lift, which must be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
  • The individuals with the best weightlifting (PTE, explained here) and best powerlifting (highest Wilks) across genders totals a t-shirt from the NF store, once it reopens, in addition to titles.

The Defending Champions are:

NF Powerlifting Champions:

• NF Women's Power Lifting Champion- SpecialSundae  [375.92]
  • NF Women's Squat Champion- evabo [137.70]
  • NF Women's Bench Press Champion- SpecialSundae [86.54]
  • NF Women's Deadlift Champion- SpecialSundae[154.15] 
  • NF Men's Power Lifting Champion- Juni0r83 [344.93]
  • NF Men's Squat Champion- Juni0r83 [131.27]
  • NF Men's Bench Press Champion- Juni0r83 [86.58]
  • NF Men's Deadlift Champion- Rurik Harrgath [137.50]

NF Weightlifting Champions:

• NF Women's Weightlifting Champion- Arcalia [79.6]
  • NF Women's Snatch Champion- Arcalia [34.82]
  • NF Women's Clean & Jerk Champion- Arcalia [44.76]
  • NF Men's Weightlifting Champion-  Rurik Harrgath [262.80]
  • NF Men's Snatch Champion- Rurik Harrgath [112.81]
  • NF Men's Clean & Jerk Champion-  Rurik Harrgath  [150.02]

Powerlifting Rules:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dr70PeSg-g7RG3mY0r8V49otofZMl5HBtLcDfrAkU1c/edit#

The above link is for the Nerd Fitness specific Powerlifting rules. The document is a work in progress (will include weightlifting in the future for example). Please feel free to suggest additions and/or changes in this thread.

Weightlifting Rules

Weightlifting competition runs in the same fashion as a powerlifting competition. You get three attempts to establish a max snatch then three attempts to establish a max clean & jerk. Again similar to powerlifting, the weight on the bar can not decrease but you can repeat a weight after a missed first or second attempt.

All lifts must be performed from the ground - no hang or blocks - and the lifter must demonstrate control with the barbell fixed motionless overhead before safely dropping the barbell. Some of the other rules directly correlate to executing the lifts safely so here's a few automatic "red lights".

• No part of the lifter, other than their feet, can come into contact with the platform at any time.
  • The bar can not make any contact with the head or neck (other than the front rack during the clean). See also: no egregious press outs.
  • During the clean the elbows may not contact the lifters knees or legs.

Costume rules should follow the raw powerlifting guidelines.

Complete weightlifting rules can be found HERE.

Tips & FAQ: This will be updated as questions are asked

• USE A SPOTTER AND OTHER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS- We don't want anyone getting hurt. Use a spotter, preferably 2 (one on the each end of the bar) and safety bars on squats and a spotter on bench.
  • Take long breaks between attempts of the same lift so that you take each lift fresh.
  • Lift order for powerlifting is squat attempt 1, squat attempt 2, squat attempt 3, bench attempt 1, bench attempt 2, bench attempt 3, DL attempt 1, DL attempt 2, DL attempt 3
  • Lift order for weightlifting is snatch 1, snatch 2, snatch 3, clean & jerk 1, clean & jerk 2, clean & jerk 3.
  • Take a weight on the 1st attempt on each lift as something you know you can get, such as what you can typically do for 3. and go from there to ensure you post a total.
  • Especially if this is your first time, chose weights you are confident in and try to complete all 9 attempts. This will help build confidence for future lifts and competitions.
  • If you participate in an organized competition within 2 weeks of either end of the competition dates, we will generally let you count those weights for this competition.

The next comp will be at the end of challenge 8.

• Like 7

I'll defend my Weightlifting title (most like at Open Gym on the 23rd) considering I have recently PRed both my C&J and Snatch lately, but probably won't bother with Powerlifting this meet.

We'll see what kind of time I end up blessed with though!

• Like 3

Laghail   
18 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

don't think i can make this one work with vacas but i'm here for smack talk!

y'all are going DOWN!

Au contraire! It is you who will be going down, like your mom did last night for $375! I found it a bit overpriced to be fair, but I had a groupon discounting it from $500 so I was expecting a deluxe experience. Unfortunately, the behavioral economics of groupon meant your mom was swamped with clientele and actually reduced her services to a half-priced HJ, just to cope with demand. A half-priced HJ is only economically sustainable if you cut out the middleman, or middlewoman in this case. So I paid your mom $375 to @Br0din last night.

Image result for smack talk gif 

• Like 5

Raxie   

I just started strength training again after quite the hiatus due to an injury. My numbers will be mega low but I need a good excuse to test out what my "starting" 1RMs are, plus... NerdFun!!! I'm in!

• Like 4

Br0din   
40 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I just started strength training again after quite the hiatus due to an injury. My numbers will be mega low but I need a good excuse to test out what my "starting" 1RMs are, plus... NerdFun!!! I'm in!

You (and others) can totally use this a point to show how far you've come when you look back on this in a year or 2.

• Like 3

Juni0r83   
6 hours ago, Br0din said:

You (and others) can totally use this a point to show how far you've come when you look back on this in a year or 2.

I find myself doing this more and more often lately as my gains begin to come to a grinding halt...

• Like 1

Br0din   
1 minute ago, Juni0r83 said:

I find myself doing this more and more often lately as my gains begin to come to a grinding halt...

It also works in the reverse.  Damn...  I've only made 5lbs gains is 5 years...

• Like 1

Juni0r83   
Just now, Br0din said:

It also works in the reverse.  Damn...  I've only made 5lbs gains is 5 years...

Or in my case, an opportunity to remind myself of just how fat I've gotten...

• Like 3

On 7/10/2017 at 2:08 PM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The competition will be held from July 15th  through July 30th

Grr. My mock meet testing is today and my actual competition meet is August 5th.

• Like 2

Laghail   
2 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

Grr. My mock meet testing is today and my actual competition meet is August 5th.

No sweat. Just record your best push/pull from the meet and call it a day. Go in and do 3 attempts at a squat before, or just after the meet. 

Niccolo   

My training cycle was terrible this last round with sickness and a nagging injury.  I literally started squatting again three weeks ago after a month off completely and another month and a half of workouts with no squats.

That being said, I've felt better this week.  And my gym decided to test maxes this Saturday.  And it's Singlet Saturday.

So I guess I'm in.  Not expecting spectacular, but it'll be nice to get heavy.  :)

• Like 2

Laghail   
8 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

My training cycle was terrible this last round with sickness and a nagging injury.  I literally started squatting again three weeks ago after a month off completely and another month and a half of workouts with no squats.

That being said, I've felt better this week.  And my gym decided to test maxes this Saturday.  And it's Singlet Saturday.

So I guess I'm in.  Not expecting spectacular, but it'll be nice to get heavy.  :)

Admit it, the ganiz gods hate you.

• Like 1

Br0din   
22 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Do it or die with honor.

13 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Admit it, the ganiz gods hate you.

I wonder how he was worshipping...

• Like 1

Niccolo   

I wonder how he was worshipping...

The gods of gains are fickle beasts.

Tested both today. Got the heaviest I have since April, so that's good. Time to work toward my next meet in October.

Snatch: 70, 75x, 75x

Clean and jerk: 95, 100, 105x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Juni0r83   

My crazy Saturday night at the bar:

Decided to shift my programming around at the last minute to participate in this instead of testing rep maxes this week. And I'm reasonably happy with the results, especially when I take into consideration that this is what I managed without properly peaking. Anyway, the details:

Squat:

1st Attempt: 215kg

2nd Attempt: 227.5kg

3rd Attempt: 240kg

Bench:

1st Attempt: 145kg

2nd Attempt: 152.5kg

3rd Attempt: 157.5kg

I adjusted attempt down before taking it, and I'm glad I did. It was a struggle, and if I'd been in competition, I'm pretty sure I would have been called for beating the press command.

Deadlift:

1st Attempt: 215kg

2nd Attempt: 230kg

I called it there without bothering with a third attempt, because 230kg gave me the total I needed for a 350 wilks, which was my goal this time around, and I wanted to leave the gym on a high instead of maybe trying to overreach, missing it, and then maybe leaving the gym feeling defeated. Plus it was late, and I needed to get some sleep for dayshift this morning.

Also, morning weigh in: 139.8kg.

• Like 7

On 7/13/2017 at 6:44 PM, Orion Antares said:

If your meet is within a week of our virtual one in either direction, it's fine, it can count. I'll wait to tally results until after your meet

• Like 1

Juni0r83   

I'm fairly happy with the new rules as they stand. Simple enough to allow for anyone just getting started, and all encompassing that most raw without wraps feds can be included. Didn't realise it was going to be touch and go bench though. Might have to keep that one in mind for next time around.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Didn't realise it was going to be touch and go bench though. Might have to keep that one in mind for next time around.

That's the one I'm most nervous about. If it gets abused it could lead to abuse, silly numbers, and dangerous lifts. I'll still be doing all mine paused once I'm able to participate again.

• Like 1

Juni0r83   
1 minute ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

That's the one I'm most nervous about. If it gets abused it could lead to abuse, silly numbers, and dangerous lifts. I'll still be doing all mine paused once I'm able to participate again.

1) I'm not sure about other people, but my touch and go is only slightly larger than my paused because I only train paused. 

2) Looking forward to you competing again, and hoping you haven't lost much in the mean time. There's no way I should have at least two of these titles.

3 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

1) I'm not sure about other people, but my touch and go is only slightly larger than my paused because I only train paused. 

2) Looking forward to you competing again, and hoping you haven't lost much in the mean time. There's no way I should have at least two of these titles.

1) That's how I am too. I've even seen some high level powerlifters say their touch and go is lower because it's harder to trigger leg and alt drive optimally partially through a movement vs from a paused state.

2) Me too. With the lack of sleep we get with the baby though, I'm asking for an injury with any sort of volume. I should be doing at least a simple 5/3/1 in the mean time to maintain, but having trouble finding even that right now with time constraints. Hoping to fix my priorities soon, been playing too many video games. I also got a new job that means, after we move in the next year, my commute should be shorter than the hour each way it is now.

• Like 4

Juni0r83   
6 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

1) That's how I am too. I've even seen some high level powerlifters say their touch and go is lower because it's harder to trigger leg and alt drive optimally partially through a movement vs from a paused state.

2) Me too. With the lack of sleep we get with the baby though, I'm asking for an injury with any sort of volume. I should be doing at least a simple 5/3/1 in the mean time to maintain, but having trouble finding even that right now with time constraints. Hoping to fix my priorities soon, been playing too many video games. I also got a new job that means, after we move in the next year, my commute should be shorter than the hour each way it is now.

You're starting to scare me about this whole parenting thing. My first is due in November.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

You're starting to scare me about this whole parenting thing. My first is due in November.

It was manageable with the first. Not so much with the second. Also depends on how much you're getting up at night. I do half of the wake ups. Averaging around 5-6 hours a night myself. 7 is my absolute minimum for lifting.

• Like 1