Forums are back in action! ×

Might have found a new trainer.. too bad I already blew my wad on the last one. :P

A few weeks ago in desperation to learn how to lift I signed up for 10 sessions with a trainer at my local gym for the low low price of a firstborn child and a leg.

We're 6 sessions down and while she has been kicking my ass, we still haven't gotten to the part that I hired her for - teaching me proper form on squats, deadlifts, and other free-weight lifting. Now, I *have* picked up some good bodyweight moves, and we've done some interesting bar-only or plate-only stuff, but at my next session with her I'm going to let her know that as much as I feel I'm getting a good workout, I'm not learning the things I wanted to and we only have 4 sessions left for that to happen.

So (and this is related, I swear) I frequent a tiny little pet store owned by a woman whom I adore. She's there every day with her awesome little 2 year old, special-orders the frozen raw food I feed my dogs and sells it for less than the local foofy chain, gives random discounts, samples, and treats, and has just absolutely amazing customer service. I called once on a Sunday to see if they were open and didn't leave a message; she called me back at 8PM to make sure I wasn't out of food for my dogs because they'd deliver it to my house that night (no charge) if we needed it.

I stopped in Friday to pick up the week's food for the dogs and chatted with her a while and wouldn't you know it, her husband is a personal trainer. I've met him a couple of times; nice guy. Turns out he works out of a gym in the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills area. She asked if he could call me and I said YES!! He did call and it seems we're totally on the same page for nutrition (paleo/primal/warrior) and he believes in heavy lifting for women even though most of his clients are models and actors/actresses and have the "lifting will make me bulky" mentality. He also works out of the YMCA that's a block from where I work and said he'll charge me what my current trainer is charging. We're going to meet for a consultation in a couple of weeks once I'm finished with my current trainer. I mentioned that I wanted to learn to squat and he started rattling off a bunch of different ones he could teach me. SO HAPPY.

I'm totally stoked and I almost can't wait to finish out these sessions with the other trainer. She's great in some ways, but I'm not feeling like she's listening. I don't know how often I can afford to train with this guy but I get the sense he'll teach me how to fish, so to speak, which is what I wanted but am not getting from the first trainer.

Sorry for the long post but I don't have anyone else I can express my excitement to who might understand. :D

That is so awesome!! And really, working with your current "meh" trainer is good because it's teaching you what you do and don't want in a trainer and identifying what in particular you value in their service.

This sounds perfect :) Also, I love pet stores like that!! I used to live by one and they were instrumental in helping my rescue dog overcome some aggressive behaviours by letting me work on his skills in their store and explaining to other patrons that we were training.